The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane paradox?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase So what you are saying is that the time you spend on the forum would be equally spent playing video games, since it's leisure time?

Yes, it is something I do, when I want to do it. There is no need for me to come here and answer questions. This is not a job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
To be quite honest I don't see how you do not see a difference there. To me it just makes me think that you fixate on making money or that you've never run a business before.

Let's look at the effort for each one:

Volunteer at a shelter:
Drive to a shelter
Walk dogs
Drive home

Running a dog walking business:
Create company
Get insurance
Market and Advertise
Create and manage website
Drive to many client's houses
Walk dogs
Drive home

Collect income
Do paperwork
Do taxes

Gee, the only fun part of the whole business is the part that I do at a shelter. This to-do would be pretty much the same as posting on the forum vs your own blog.

So what you are saying is that you don't make a business out of walking dogs because it is too much effort? Here is the paradox:

If you notice a need not being filled at your dog walking volunteering and you know in your mind that it is most likely going to be a home run, will you not go after the opportunity or would you rather not fixate on making money?

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
If you notice a need not being filled at your dog walking volunteering and you know in your mind that it is most likely going to be a home run, will you not go after the opportunity or would you rather not fixate on making money?
Value is not always interpreted by $.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Value is not always interpreted by $.

That is very true but what if TMF was the "How to become a better person and add value to other people's life and actually gain more satisfaction and joy that money could ever bring" aka "HTBABPAAVTOPLAAGMSAJTMCEB" , would you have bought the book?

How am I the only one fixated on money? If you help people knowing that eventually they will give you money because you add value to their life well, it is after money you are, not salvation. Why the hypocrisy?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(Story I originally posted here.)

A guy gets off the tour bus to stretch his legs. While everyone wanders into the small local shop to restock on snacks and drinks, he surveys the scenery.

Rubbing his lower back he spies a lake through the trees down below.

He heads down a narrow path towards it.

When he gets there he finds two guys sitting on a small pier. They both have rods in their hands, and from the looks of things they've had an excellent morning fishing.

Our tourist watches as they both land another fish each.

"Bloody hell lads. (He's English.) Is the fishing here always this good?"

"Sure is." One of them says looking up at him.

The tourist looks around at the mountains and pine trees. "This place is beautiful. Who owns it?"

The guy who spoke nods at the other man, who looks up and nods at the tourist.

"Maaan, I know guys who'd love to fish in a place like this, and where the fish are that plentiful. Have you thought of advertising and making it a stop on this tour through the mountains?"

"Not thought about it. Why would I do that?"

"You could build a real luxury fishing and hiking retreat up here. Hell, I bet you'd make a fortune."

"I guess. Seems like a lot of work though."

"But think of all the money you'd make. You'd make millions I'm sure."

"Hmmm... What would I want with millions?"

"Well, you'd be able to buy whatever you want. More importantly, you'd be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whoever you want. Imagine money was no object - think of what you love doing, and imagine doing that all the time!"

"Oh, I see. Well, I'd probably find a nice quiet lake and go fishing with my buddy."

Last edited by a moderator:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
That is very true but what if TMF was the "How to become a better person and add value to other people's life and actually gain more satisfaction and joy that money could ever bring" aka "HTBABPAAVTOPLAAGMSAJTMCEB" , would you have bought the book?
That's exactly what I read in the book. Read deeper.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
(Story I originally posted here.)

A guy gets off the tour bus to stretch his legs. While everyone wanders into the small local shop to restock on snacks and drinks, he surveys the scenery.

Rubbing his lower back he spies a lake through the trees down below.

He heads down a narrow path towards it.

When he gets there he finds two guys sitting on a small pier. They both have rods in their hands, and from the looks of things they've had an excellent morning fishing.

Our tourist watches as they both land another fish each.

"Bloody hell lads. (He's English.) Is the fishing here always this good?"

"Sure is." One of them says looking up at him.

The tourist looks around at the mountains and pine trees. "This place is beautiful. Who owns it?"

The guy who spoke nods at the other man, who looks up and nods at the tourist.

"Maaan, I know guys who'd love to fish in a place like this, and where the fish are that plentiful. Have you thought of advertising and making it a stop on this tour through the mountains?"

"Not thought about it. Why would I do that?"

"You could build a real luxury fishing and hiking retreat up here. Hell, I bet you'd make a fortune."

"I guess. Seems like a lot of work though."

"But think of all the money you'd make. You'd make millions I'm sure."

"Hmmm... What would I want with millions?"

"Well, you'd be able to buy whatever you want. More importantly, you'd be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whoever you want. Imagine money was no object - think of what you love doing, and imagine doing that all the time!"

"Oh, I see. Well, I'd probably find a nice quiet lake and go fishing with my buddy."

That's exactly what I read in the book. Read deeper.

I heard this story dozen times and love telling it to people myself as part as a philosophical perspective on work.

However, by associating it to this tread, one could think: "Well, I could just be a bum and chill all day while fishing, why work my a$$ off so I can be where I am exactly right now in a few years."

In fact, if you think about it, on one hand the fastlane is more about the "antagonist" of that allegory. One who works hard to make millions to finally be fishing on the lake one day with nothing to worry about.

Paradoxally the fastlane mentality suggests that you're suppose to enjoy the process itself. Therefore in your story, that would make us fastlane students to be both the antagonist and the protagonist at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Having a blog post can promote SEO to your site, so that's something to consider but I guess it depends on what your niche is.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So what you are saying is that you don't make a business out of walking dogs because it is too much effort? Here is the paradox:

You aren't comparing the same things anymore. If I find a need while walking dogs, that is totally different than filling a need of dogs to be walked. The act of posting on this forum is the same as walking dogs.

And yes it would be too much effort to make a business walking dogs. That's the whole point. The amount of work is not worth it.

Just because I find a need that will make money doesn't mean I need to do it. I've given my friends many products that I just don't want to tackle anymore.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

How am I the only one fixated on money? If you help people knowing that eventually they will give you money because you add value to their life well, it is after money you are, not salvation. Why the hypocrisy?

No you've got this all wrong. We are not after money, which is why we make money. If you don't figure this out your way will fail.

I can show you how to change this mindset and then makes lots of money. It's in my latest blog post from last week. But my blog is private to my members. Membership is only $59 a month.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
No you've got this all wrong. We are not after money, which is why we make money. If you don't figure this out your way will fail.

Get real. You don't find this to be a paradox? Ultimately you got to your current mindset by being after money, didn't you? I understand that mindsets evolve and how you can go from "chasing money" to "wanting to add value to people's lives and ultimately get joy, satisfaction AND money from it" but you are pursuing the same thing, which is money (and everything that comes with it such as freedom). No matter how you put it.

I can show you how to change this mindset and then makes lots of money. It's in my latest blog post from last week. But my blog is private to my members. Membership is only $59 a month.

Why would I pay, when you obviously are willing to show it here for free?

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
This forum is like my wealth creation family.

Our goal isn't to pretend to be great businessmen, but to actually be.

The opportunity cost of starting a blog is greater than jumping into an infrastructure with amazing individuals that already exists.

I'm here to have a conversation, get feedback, and for people to talk trash when I'm an idiot. You don't get that on a blog. On a blog you preach and get followers. I'm not here for followers. I'm here to get rich.

That's awesome. I love it.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
why are you not posting your views and advice on your own blog, and monetize it instead of doing it here?

Some folks here do sell information.

I am one of those people who sell information and has my own blog.

I was talking to Andy Black earlier today on skype about this very topic and he linked me to this article: https://unicornfree.com/2013/how-do-you-persuade-someone-to-pay-for-free-information

This is why more people don't do it:

It's a full time business in itself, requiring full time effort.

• @biophase solves problems for dog owners with physical products (among other things he does in his life).
  • I solve problems for startup entrepreneurs who are in need of education...It's a business in itself.
Any time he takes out of his day to start his blog and promoting it would take away from his business and his free time. Why don't I sell dog products? Because that would take away my time from the problem I'm solving for people. Actually, I do sell dog products (a dog magazine), and that takes time away from helping others in this niche.

Plus, most people here are driven by profit...and you will probably make more money in the short run selling physical products vs information products.

I have a blog, a business magazine with 10,000 readers, an email list in the thousands in the same niche...I also sell a training course helping entrepreneurs through all the problems that I faced in the first 4 years of my journey.

I'm in front of my computer 12+ hours a day, solving this problem that I am passionate about, and I know for a fact I make less money than a lot of people on here who sell physical products.

Yes, they solve real world problems for people...but I choose to focus in on the problem of educating and helping others in this area...because my goals are to solve this one problem.

And the other part of your original post - I post here for free, and have been for the past 4 years. Why? Because this community gave to me when I was just getting started out back then, and I want to give back to it.

On top of that, my main goal is is actually not profit at this stage of the game (gasspp). My mission is to solve problems entrepreneurs face, and by posting here, I fulfill that mission.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
I am one of those people who sell information and has my own blog.

I was talking to Andy Black earlier today on skype about this very topic and he linked me to this article: https://unicornfree.com/2013/how-do-you-persuade-someone-to-pay-for-free-information

This is why more people don't do it:

It's a full time business in itself, requiring full time effort.

• @biophase solves problems for dog owners with physical products (among other things he does in his life).
  • I solve problems for startup entrepreneurs who are in need of education...It's a business in itself.
Any time he takes out of his day to start his blog and promoting it would take away from his business and his free time. Why don't I sell dog products? Because that would take away my time from the problem I'm solving for people. Actually, I do sell dog products (a dog magazine), and that takes time away from helping others in this niche.

Plus, most people here are driven by profit...and you will probably make more money in the short run selling physical products vs information products.

I have a blog, a business magazine with 10,000 readers, an email list in the thousands in the same niche...I also sell a training course helping entrepreneurs through all the problems that I faced in the first 4 years of my journey.

I'm in front of my computer 12+ hours a day, solving this problem that I am passionate about, and I know for a fact I make less money than a lot of people on here who sell physical products.

Yes, they solve real world problems for people...but I choose to focus in on the problem of educating and helping others in this area...because my goals are to solve this one problem.

And the other part of your original post - I post here for free, and have been for the past 4 years. Why? Because this community gave to me when I was just getting started out back then, and I want to give back to it.

On top of that, my main goal is is actually not profit at this stage of the game (gasspp). My mission is to solve problems entrepreneurs face, and by posting here, I fulfill that mission.

Thanks. Straight to the point.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015

Interesting. Why did you make your mission solving problems entrepreneurs face?

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
The origin of a forum dates back to ancient Rome when people met in big open spaces to share goods and ideas.

This is like saying: forget about the huge gathering every 4th of the month in the year 142 where the greatest philosophers meet on Via Del Corso and share ideas, and instead create your own philosophy group. The problem is your own philosophy group is not going to have any followers, you'll be missing out on cutting edge information, and you'll most likely be talking to a tree and your closest friends.

I took my horse drawn carriage down this road to end up this forum, because this I find this to be a highly concentrated source of ideas, positive energy, motivation, connections, etc.

I could try to create my own forum, but I'm kind of like a nomad: I don't have the knowledge nor time to build my own but this is a great place to stop in the middle of my journey.

If I go make my own blog, who can I chat with on it and get feedback in the next week? Month? Year? Maybe some people in a year. When do I need to work on my business and read about other like-minded individuals? Today.

I just re-read this and I must say it was very eloquently put. I absolutely love forums and understand their purpose. Although, my OP was aimed at very active users who I believe, if they invested their efforts in their own blog/website, wouldn't probably feel the need to come here in the first place.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting. Why did you make your mission solving problems entrepreneurs face?

To save the world, why else? ;)

I read a post on Y combinator outlining the 16(?) major problems our world faces in our lifetime.

Biotech, sustainable evergy, education, etc.

On there, they mentioned "if we could solve education, we can solve all of them".

So my mission for the next few years is to figure out how to train the most motivated, resourceful, network of enterpreneurs and innovators out there. When I can have a training academy that can cut the learning curve in half - then I can network with investors and guide the curriculum into solving major world problems.

So my long term play is as a VC role and guide thousands of others to fix the worlds major issues.

To me- this challenge iis more fun than selling perfume, making a couple million, and retire young.

Or the simple answer is because it's a problem I faced in the past and I can help others get results a little bit faster.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
To save the world, why else? ;)

I read a post on Y combinator outlining the 16(?) major problems our world faces in our lifetime.

Biotech, sustainable evergy, education, etc.

On there, they mentioned "if we could solve education, we can solve all of them".

So my mission for the next few years is to figure out how to train the most motivated, resourceful, network of enterpreneurs and innovators out there. When I can have a training academy that can cut the learning curve in half - then I can network with investors and guide the curriculum into solving major world problems.

So my long term play is as a VC role and guide thousands of others to fix the worlds major issues.

To me- this challenge iis more fun than selling perfume, making a couple million, and retire young.

So you have made solving education out of those said 16 problems your purpose in life? That's very inspiring.

Or the simple answer is because it's a problem I faced in the past and I can help others get results a little bit faster.

I guess that's also part of solving education as a problem.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I guess you lied?

I'm sorry, but you haven't been around here long enough to be a dickhead, especially to people who have been here for years.

I'd suggest you read more and post less-- several people here have answer your thread-question quite succinctly.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
I'm sorry, but you haven't been around here long enough to be a dickhead to people who have been here for years.

I'd suggest you read more and post less-- especially since several people here have answer your thread-question quite succinctly.

Hey MJ, I wasn't trying to be a dickhead.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Get real. You don't find this to be a paradox? Ultimately you got to your current mindset by being after money, didn't you? I understand that mindsets evolve and how you can go from "chasing money" to "wanting to add value to people's lives and ultimately get joy, satisfaction AND money from it" but you are pursuing the same thing, which is money (and everything that comes with it such as freedom). No matter how you put it.

Why would I pay, when you obviously are willing to show it here for free?

No, because you asked why we were posting on this forum. When I joined in 2007, did I join because I was chasing money? Was I trying to get people to come to my blog? No. I still have no idea why you think I am pursuing money. I just told you that I am walking dogs for free. Where in that reply was there any mention about money or getting paid.

You are right, no matter how I put it, you won't understand. Maybe you will look at this thread 5 years from now and finally understand but until then, you can go chase your money.

Oh and the blog comment, even though I do have a blog and I was kidding about the membership. But if you think that the people on this forum giveaway their knowledge for free you have no idea what we get in return. And it is something that you will never get until your mindset changes.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In response to the original question, everyone here should aspire to own their own company, their own brand, their own persona, and their own self-determined Fastlane that leads, not follows.

In many respects, Fastlane is it's own enemy-- many people come here, learn, stay awhile, and go on to build great things-- that end result isn't good because great things require a lot of time and nurturing; forum participation is usually something that suffers. Building YOUR company should come first, not forum participation.

The forum business model is very much like Match.com-- when a user has success from the site, the site usually loses the user as a customer. The forum attracts more people looking to start businesses, versus those who already have a business.

Another thing of note: I did not start this forum to make money, but to simply spread the message. The money came a few years later after the message gained traction. And the evolution of the INSIDERS forum was not my creation-- many users wanted an ad-free forum experience (and privacy) and the INSIDERS section was a response to that.

For me, and many entrepreneurs here, we use the forum as a community where we can share our stories, our triumphs, and our failures. Some use it to give back, like @biophase volunteers to walk dogs.

Entrepreneurship can be lonely and I feel this little corner of the web is our special place-- a place where I don't have to see spam, affiliate offers, and "join my double matrix downline" bullshit-- just a bunch of folks who are striving to live a life outside of the preordained mediocrity plan espoused by the mainstream.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
In response to the original question, everyone here should aspire to own their own company, their own brand, their own persona, and their own self-determined Fastlane that leads, not follows.

In many respects, Fastlane is it's own enemy-- many people come here, learn, stay awhile, and go on to build great things-- that end result isn't good because great things require a lot of time and nurturing; forum participation is usually something that suffers. Building YOUR company should come first, not forum participation.

The forum business model is very much like Match.com-- when a user has success from the site, the site usually loses the user as a customer. The forum attracts more people looking to start businesses, versus those who already have a business.

Another thing of note: I did not start this forum to make money, but to simply spread the message. The money came a few years later after the message gained traction. And the evolution of the INSIDERS forum was not my creation-- many users wanted an ad-free forum experience (and privacy) and the INSIDERS section was a response to that.

For me, and many entrepreneurs here, we use the forum as a community where we can share our stories, our triumphs, and our failures. Some use it to give back, like @biophase volunteers to walk dogs.

Entrepreneurship can be lonely and I feel this little corner of the web is our special place-- a place where I don't have to see spam, affiliate offers, and "join my double matrix downline" bullshit-- just a bunch of folks who are striving to live a life outside of the preordained mediocrity plan espoused by the mainstream.

Thank you MJ. I understand better now.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Entrepreneurship can be lonely and I feel this little corner of the web is our special place

I had a sad melody playing in my head while reading this... jk. Can't agree more with those words, this is the only place that I share my thoughts about business and the Fastlane journey with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.