The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook CPC suggested bid INSANELY high. Why?

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
I cannot understand why my Cost Per Click is always around the ballpark of $3-$20 bid range. I have tried targeting various niches but no results.

I am still stuck at the ads manager desperately trying to find lower CPC suggested bids.

This is insane. :headbanger:

Does anyone have any suggestions? What may I be doing wrong?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Use the search function in the top right side of the forum & search "Adwords" & read everything you find by @Andy Black.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Suggested bids are suggestions. Spend some money and you'll get real-world data.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Suggested bids are suggestions. Spend some money and you'll get real-world data.

Would you say it will be logical to bid manually $1 per click and see where it goes. If I get no clicks, raise to $1.5 and go on?

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Would you say it will be logical to bid manually $1 per click and see where it goes. If I get no clicks, raise to $1.5 and go on?

You can do that. Or just leave it at automatic and see how much it charges you in the end. It shouldn't be that high, unless all of the niches you've researched are things like insurance, surgery, real estate, etc. (super expensive and competitive markets).

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
You can do that. Or just leave it at automatic and see how much it charges you in the end. It shouldn't be that high, unless all of the niches you've researched are things like insurance, surgery, real estate, etc. (super expensive and competitive markets).

Thank you. I will get back when I get results and I will share my findings here.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Use the search function in the top right side of the forum & search "Adwords" & read everything you find by @Andy Black.
Thanks @Red

@eTox, I don't do Facebook ads just yet, but a lot of the posts I've created might still help. Check them out in my signature.

Do what @MTF suggested and take the suggested bids with a pinch of salt. Just launch and learn.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh, and check out @eliquid 's thread on the inside. I'm sure there's other Facebook gems strewn about the forum and interwebs too.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
I would suggest to do automatic bidding and keep your daily spend at $10 or less until the cpc is reasonable.

Last thing you want to do is set daily budget at $100+ and Facebook decides to charge you $4 a click. Happened to me.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I don't do Facebook ads just yet, but a lot of the posts I've created might still help.

Oops, my apologies, OP. In my haste to help, I mis-read your original thread question/needs. My apologies! But @Andy Black's posts on this forum are still gold! :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
My suggested bids went up about 50-100% since I last checked them a few days ago. I guess it has to do with the new conversion window option they added 1 or 2 days ago. Every time they change/add something, it F*cks up all bidding.

As for your question: run the ads with automatic bids for a few days to see where you land with CPCs (and give FB some CTR, relevance, etc data). Then pause the campaign, clone it, and let it run with a manual bid for a few days. Adjust bid up and down until you get sth you like, but not too often.

Your bids dont necessarily have to be your "maximums".

For conversion campaigns, I have to bid 2-3x my goal CPA to get any meaningful traffic, but even with the bid 2-3x higher I usually still get the CPA I want (unless FB in in the process of F*cking up again like right now).

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Run a lot of ads in parallel. Target differently and use different contents for each.
See which ads are having good ROI.
Stop the rest.

$3 per click is great if you make a sale of $300 in 50 clicks.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
It's not your CPC. It's CPM that's high.

We're at the end of the quarter which means agencies will be dumping their budgets. My advice is scale back and regroup during July.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
I've also noticed an increase in both just traffic, and also CPA's the last week or so, particularly the last few days. I'm wondering if it might be something to do with the new text-in-images rules and rankings [no more 20% text limit, now your reach [and price] gets penalized/taxed based on a tiered text rating of none/low/med/high].

Also can confirm, end of quarter [indeed end of fiscal year] at work and the amounts getting pushed at me this month are totally insane so that won't be helping.

Edit: also, for the record i'm exclusively using the auto-optimized cpm bidding, not setting bids manually. Some things are ok, most things the CPA literally doubled in the last week, to the point where if it kept up at this level, i'd want to pull the plug. Lifetime averages and good sized budgets mean I can just ride it out, but it's not pretty the last week or so.

Last edited:

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Could you please explain in plain English to a chimpanzee? Thank you. o_O:embarrased:

He means reduce the amount you're spending if the price has increased a lot recently, and wait until July when things may quieten down a bit as there are a lot of agencies and corporates who have to spend their budgets at the end of a quarter [or as above in my case at work, its the end of our fiscal year so even worse for the dumping of the budgets]. When everyone piles in trying to spend their money, obviously prices go up for more mainstream audiences due to more competition.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
He means reduce the amount you're spending if the price has increased a lot recently, and wait until July when things may quieten down a bit as there are a lot of agencies and corporates who have to spend their budgets at the end of a quarter [or as above in my case at work, its the end of our fiscal year so even worse for the dumping of the budgets]. When everyone piles in trying to spend their money, obviously prices go up for more mainstream audiences due to more competition.

Thank you, this is more clear to me now :)

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Could you please explain in plain English to a chimpanzee? Thank you. o_O:embarrased:

Scale back ads and run low budgets for +ROI. That's what I'm doing.

Wait for July because that's the start of Q3 when things quieten down. We should see a bullish run until Q4. We did well last summer.

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
So I ran a campaign for a day with a $10 budget.

Results
  • 5 website clicks
  • reached 936 people
  • cost $1.67 per click
  • total spent $8.35
  • CPM $8.19
  • relevance score 3/10
  • ZERO website clicks :sorry:

I have couple of thoughts.
  • I am targeting the wrong facebook group for this product
  • The product has low demand or is too mainstream
  • The ad copy is shit
If you guys do not mind, would you suggest a couple of things to improve based on your experience?
This is my first attempt.

Thank you

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Your ad looks pretty boring and copy is non-existent.

Learn a bit about basic copywriting. The book Cashvertising is a good start.

And dont use boring stock photos. Image could be a badass biker or a half naked hot girl wearing the gloves (half naked hot girls sell everything). Something like that would get you some cheap clicks fo sho :cigar:

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Your ad looks pretty boring and copy is non-existent.

Learn a bit about basic copywriting. The book Cashvertising is a good start.

And dont use boring stock photos. Image could be a badass biker or a half naked hot girl wearing the gloves (half naked hot girls sell everything). Something like that would get you some cheap clicks fo sho :cigar:

I believe you are right. I need to put more effort into this if I want results.

Fighting my fear and running a test campaign knowing I was going to make no sales and lose money was definitely hard. But I did learn a lot.

Thank you all for the advice :hurray:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
The ad copy makes no difference on FB. I've tested several variations on 100s of campaigns.

It's your landing page that converts the prospect into a customer. Focus on your product page copy.

Prospects want reassurances: How long will delivery take? Is this website safe? Can I talk to someone first?

Answer these questions to improve your conversion rate and make some sales.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
  • I am trying to sell motorcycle gloves I found on Aliexpress
  • and I targeted this group: Sport Rider Magazine

I used to ride a motorbike.

I would say without doubt you will struggle to sell 'unknown' motorbike gloves to Sportsbike riders - they are all about the logo and brands, even more so than most other sports.

You may do better targeting 50cc/125cc/learners who don't have the spare cash but even then, they look to experienced riders for advice and recommendations.

As Sanj says above, these people will want reassurances too before buying, but as well as those mentioned above, they will want reassurances of how hardwearing they are, how long they can be dragged along the floor at 30mph without ripping etc.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Run a lot of ads in parallel. Target differently and use different contents for each.
See which ads are having good ROI.
Stop the rest.

$3 per click is great if you make a sale of $300 in 50 clicks.

This isnt going to work.

See my thread on the inside ( sig link ) and the last couple posts to see why

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
This isnt going to work.

There's an obsession with FB and CPC when you pay for CPM. Period.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
There's an obsession with FB and CPC when you pay for CPM. Period.

Not sure what you mean.

What I am talking about, I have experience first hand with myself and countless others 8 years buying ads on FB.

If you get an INSIDERS sub and read it, you will see why and what I am talking about on why the other posters method will not work that I replied to.

Last edited:

eTox

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
This isnt going to work.

Whats the reason? I am not an INSIDERS.

I have been doing this an year ago and it used to work. Did something change recently?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Not sure what you mean.

What I am talking about, I have experience first hand with myself and countless others 8 years buying ads on FB.

If you get an INSIDERS sub and read it, you will see why and what I am talking about on why the other posters method will not work that I replied to.
Not sure what you mean.

I mean we pay for CPM not CPC. It's not CPC that's shot up. It's CPM due to end of quarter budgets being dumped. We should talk more. I've been buying FB ads for 5 years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.