The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Equipment for YouTube channel

v1nci

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Feb 22, 2021
Hi!

Some time ago, I started my journey with an YouTube channel, it's something really great, that I truly enjoy!
My main struggle right now is the gear, that I'm using at the moment - it's simply built in camera and microphone in my laptop. I would love to change that, but my budget is limited, so these are my options:
1. Buy a phone that would be my camera and microphone for some time - I just don't want to waste any time NOT creating videos and improving my skillset as videomaker. The phone I was thinking about is Google Pixel 4 5G (about 400$ dollars, which is my investing budget per month).
2. Buy a microphone for now (Blue Yeti I think, about 100-150$), and save the rest of investment fund for next month and then buy some high quality camera. I am just not sure, if buying high quality gear (I mean something mobile, that I can use for years) is possible at that cost (about <500$).

There are also a lot of investments when it comes to stock subscriptions - Premiere Pro, Audible and one of image stocks).

Is there anyone experienced enough with these things to help me out?
What kind of strategy would you guys use?

Thank you a lot for your kind answers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
My main struggle right now is the gear, that I'm using at the moment - it's simply built in camera and microphone in my laptop. I would love to change that, but my budget is limited

I just don't want to waste any time NOT creating videos and improving my skillset as videomaker.
Not a YT'er but I know a few.

I've been told the best equipment and camera to start with is what you currently have available to you.
Not uncommon at all to see people start out grainy and have their presentation become more pro once their content starts generating income.

Also focus more so on the copy of your titles and the screenshot.

Good luck

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Hi!

Some time ago, I started my journey with an YouTube channel, it's something really great, that I truly enjoy!

Do you have a Fast Lane Forum thread on your YT channel or can you share about your experience with developing it?

I have two channels that only have a few videos and looking forwarding to exploring YT more, also need new equipment as the microphone I bought is meh.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Record with what you have. Subscribe to TubeBuddy. Get better at thumbnails, titles, and making videos. Lots of YTubers are successful with their phone cams and mics. I still use mine occasionally when my other gear isn't handy.

Good luck.

v1nci

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Feb 22, 2021
@Private Witt
Nah, I didn't create one yet, I'm not sure if that would be useful, as I'm creating videos in Polish (none of you guys are able to relate to what I'm saying, etc.)

@Itizn
Yup, that's what I'm currently doing, but I think it's time for an upgrade already ;)

@Runum

For sure I will still record, just thinking about some kind of gear upgrade. Thank you for the tips about the TubeBuddy :)

Last edited:

Athena_

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 3, 2021
India
Hi!

My main struggle right now is the gear, that I'm using at the moment - it's simply built in camera and microphone in my laptop. I would love to change that, but my budget is limited, so these are my options:
1. Buy a phone that would be my camera and microphone for some time - I just don't want to waste any time NOT creating videos and improving my skillset as videomaker. The phone I was thinking about is Google Pixel 4 5G (about 400$ dollars, which is my investing budget per month).
2. Buy a microphone for now (Blue Yeti I think, about 100-150$), and save the rest of investment fund for next month and then buy some high quality camera. I am just not sure, if buying high quality gear (I mean something mobile, that I can use for years) is possible at that cost (about <500$).

There are also a lot of investments when it comes to stock subscriptions - Premiere Pro, Audible and one of image stocks).

Hi

I'm trying to become a youtuber too , I think that buying a good mic if you can afford is a great idea , because audio quality matters alot on YouTube, other than that .. learning about CTR = click through rate , algorithms etc would be great , I recommend watching paddy Galloway's channel , also Derrel eves has released a book called YouTube formula , I'm waiting for it to be delivered I'll post a review of that once I finish ! Mr beast and James Jani have also done podcast / interviews etc which are very helpful.

D

Deleted78083

Most youtubers have the material that they use in the description. Just check it out.

You said you wanted to buy a phone. I wouldnt do that. Buy a second-hand DSLR known for video. Also buy a lamp.

If you fail, just sell everything back for the same price you bought it at.

Good luck!

Unknown M.F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 21, 2021
Apart from my laptop screen recording, the editing and voice recording was done on my mobile phone. Though I am currently working on improving some aspects on my video but those improvements will all be done on my mobile phone. Why? Because it gives me speed.

Athena_

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 3, 2021
India
all you really need to start a youtube channel is a Google account and a camera capable of recording video. This might be an old handheld video camera, your laptop or PC's webcam, or the camera on your phone. Whatever the case, this is the basic requirement.
Most of the time equipment isn't the problem, it is consistency and creating content that people like , that's the hard part .

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
AUDIO: Use a 3.5mm cable earphone connected to your laptop. Since you are doing post-production shooting, you can always insert and enhance the audio during editing process. Do every tricks you know to hide it while doing recording.

CAMERA: Get a smartphone with Android 4 or below. Outdated smartphones normally doesn't break your wallet. As long as it supports 1080p recording and large phone/memory card storage, that should be okay.

LIGHTING: Depends on your situation. Almost all YouTubers nowadays face the camera and talk. Less moving/tracking shots. In that case, place the camera in front of any display monitor/TV/notebook and project a white background.. Or just search 'diy video lamp' on YouTube.

SOFTWARE: Adobe products. CREATIVE SUITE. Not CC! The second hard work (the first one is your content) would be on software due to your limited equipment. E.g, color correction, brightness, gamma, saturation, audio EQ, noise removing etc. Alternative free software: Open Broadcaster Software.

Hope this helps.

v1nci

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Feb 22, 2021
all you really need to start a youtube channel is a Google account and a camera capable of recording video. This might be an old handheld video camera, your laptop or PC's webcam, or the camera on your phone. Whatever the case, this is the basic requirement.
Not sure if you read my thread, I already have a channel, I am already using a laptop camera.

Most of the time equipment isn't the problem, it is consistency and creating content that people like , that's the hard part .
Yeah, you're right. Working on that!
AUDIO: Use a 3.5mm cable earphone connected to your laptop. Since you are doing post-production shooting, you can always insert and enhance the audio during editing process. Do every tricks you know to hide it while doing recording.

CAMERA: Get a smartphone with Android 4 or below. Outdated smartphones normally doesn't break your wallet. As long as it supports 1080p recording and large phone/memory card storage, that should be okay.

LIGHTING: Depends on your situation. Almost all YouTubers nowadays face the camera and talk. Less moving/tracking shots. In that case, place the camera in front of any display monitor/TV/notebook and project a white background.. Or just search 'diy video lamp' on YouTube.

SOFTWARE: Adobe products. CREATIVE SUITE. Not CC! The second hard work (the first one is your content) would be on software due to your limited equipment. E.g, color correction, brightness, gamma, saturation, audio EQ, noise removing etc. Alternative free software: Open Broadcaster Software.

Hope this helps.
What's the difference between Creative Suite and CC? I didn't really get into all of that. What I know is that I want to buy the package, which has all of the applications (like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.) - it's like 35€ per month right now.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
What's the difference between Creative Suite and CC? I didn't really get into all of that. What I know is that I want to buy the package, which has all of the applications (like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.) - it's like 35€ per month right now.
Creative Suite is the predecessor of Creative Cloud. It was discontinued in 2012. However, you can still purchase a legitimate copy somewhere on the Internet. You only have to pay it ONCE. Obviously there are several features you'll lose. Still, this shouldn't be a problem. Because there are workaround to get those lost features.

I did use discontinued Creative Suite products. But, I switched to Creative Cloud due to lazyness with those workaround.

Or.. you can always choose other software for post-production editing. E.g: Pinnacle Studio, Corel VideoStudio, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Wondershare Filmora. There are thousands out there.

You may want to switch from Mac/Windows to UbuntuStudio. A Linux operating system that comes together with audio, graphics, and video production suite. It's FREE! When I was still using a netbook (not a notebook), UbuntuStudio was my main tool. Of course, it was very slow. But, it gets the shit done.

I admire you for choosing this industry. Being a YouTuber is a super-duper-tight competition now.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Hi!

I've been watching YT, I've obser

Hi!

Bottom line is the value people get from your content. I've seen many creators on YT with good gear and no content yet they don't have a lot of views. Don't go too much in fine lines and redline your investment budget. Start creating content first when you start earning income, it would be a good time to go PRO.

Bonus: People love watching infographics because there so much visual info. You can dive into infographics if you have time.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Hi!

As for audio, you can sit in a small room with DIY soundproofing.

v1nci

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Feb 22, 2021
Creative Suite is the predecessor of Creative Cloud. It was discontinued in 2012. However, you can still purchase a legitimate copy somewhere on the Internet. You only have to pay it ONCE. Obviously there are several features you'll lose. Still, this shouldn't be a problem. Because there are workaround to get those lost features.

I did use discontinued Creative Suite products. But, I switched to Creative Cloud due to lazyness with those workaround.

Or.. you can always choose other software for post-production editing. E.g: Pinnacle Studio, Corel VideoStudio, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Wondershare Filmora. There are thousands out there.

You may want to switch from Mac/Windows to UbuntuStudio. A Linux operating system that comes together with audio, graphics, and video production suite. It's FREE! When I was still using a netbook (not a notebook), UbuntuStudio was my main tool. Of course, it was very slow. But, it gets the shit done.

I admire you for choosing this industry. Being a YouTuber is a super-duper-tight competition now.
Sounds cool, thank you for the tips, I'll try these out.

About being a YouTuber etc - not sure if you're familiar with spirituality, spiritual awakening, etc - after that experience I acknowledged, that it's just something natural for me - like I was born and raised for that.
Not sure if that makes sense for you, but let's just say it just really fits my personality and it's not like grind or anything, I just sit down and create, without forcing anything, it just flows on itself. I just witness the process.

Bottom line is the value people get from your content. I've seen many creators on YT with good gear and no content yet they don't have a lot of views. Don't go too much in fine lines and redline your investment budget. Start creating content first when you start earning income, it would be a good time to go PRO.

Bonus: People love watching infographics because there so much visual info. You can dive into infographics if you have time.
Tip with an infographic is really valuable, I'll try that out, thank you, man!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
About what do you tell in your yt chanel?

v1nci

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Feb 22, 2021
About what do you tell in your yt chanel?
It's all about self-development, philosophy, psychology. I also have a strong need to express myself (I wanted to become a rapper when I was younger), so this channel is like my journey journal you could say.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.