The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropshipping from Alibaba

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
So this is new territory for me, so forgive the lack of understanding.

Has anyone succesfully dropshipped items from Alibaba on Amazon? I'm looking to get into this as a side gig.

I've identified a particular item that isn't sold on Amazon.ca in this particular brand, i think it's a great product (having one myself) and I'm looking to fill the void that isn't there currently.

But I've heard there can be some nefarious things when it comes to dropshipping from Alibaba, such as faulty items, ripoff brands and late shipping.

A few questions:

1) Has anyone had success with this business model?

2) Is amazon the best way to sell this item? Maybe Ebay? Making a website and generating traffic sounds like it will cost more than its worth.

3) What is stopping people from going directly to Alibaba to purchase the product?

4) Has anyone been burned by Alibaba Suppliers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
1) Has anyone had success with this business model? I'm sure someone has.

2) Is amazon the best way to sell this item? Maybe Ebay? Making a website and generating traffic sounds like it will cost more than its worth. Amazon demands faster shipping than what you'll be able to deliver. Ebay could work. Website would work too... lots of free ways to generate traffic.

3) What is stopping people from going directly to Alibaba to purchase the product? Nothing. And if you're successful, competitors will do this.

4) Has anyone been burned by Alibaba Suppliers? Yes

You're looking for easy money. If you do find it, it won't last. My 2 cents: this is too much risk for a low upside.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
If you could jump in a time machine and go back 10 years you'd be on to something.

they literally have a sea of automated software to do just this, it just checks things on websites, from alibaba / express to local retailers like walmart and target and uses UPC codes / pictures and descriptions to compare to items already on amazon. Tells you Profit margins,expected ROi, minimum orders needed for free shipping, # of competitors etc etc, so whether the game is retail arbitrage of FBA wholesaling you have teams of software engineers and million dollar companies that only do this all day (to support sellers)

Now, does that mean you haven't found something? no! not at all (just that this business models done to death broadly speaking).

If the item isn't on amazon.ca and you think it has legs why not order like 5 or 10 of them and send them in for fulfilled by amazon and see what happens? , thats like, the cost of the items, a few dollars to box them and ship them to the warehouse and like 20 bucks or something for a month of FBA membership?

thedigitalmisfit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 5, 2018
If you could jump in a time machine and go back 10 years you'd be on to something.

they literally have a sea of automated software to do just this, it just checks things on websites, from alibaba / express to local retailers like walmart and target and uses UPC codes / pictures and descriptions to compare to items already on amazon. Tells you Profit margins,expected ROi, minimum orders needed for free shipping, # of competitors etc etc, so whether the game is retail arbitrage of FBA wholesaling you have teams of software engineers and million dollar companies that only do this all day (to support sellers)

Now, does that mean you haven't found something? no! not at all (just that this business models done to death broadly speaking).

If the item isn't on amazon.ca and you think it has legs why not order like 5 or 10 of them and send them in for fulfilled by amazon and see what happens? , thats like, the cost of the items, a few dollars to box them and ship them to the warehouse and like 20 bucks or something for a month of FBA membership?

This is a really good idea. I wanted to do FBA in the past but cost on entry was too much for the income I had at the time. I've done dropshipping but using local suppliers. For me, too many people know about Ali Express nowadays to get the results you hear about.

But if you have found something that you know people are looking for but can't be found or too expensive on Amazon, the idea above is a real good one to do. May even try it myself ha!

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015

I think buying 5 is low risk, at worse case I might be able to unload them to coworkers and friend/family.

I think i'll give it a shot.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Has anyone succesfully dropshipped items from Alibaba on Amazon? I'm looking to get into this as a side gig.
You must understand the difference between Alibaba and it's retail offshoot Aliexpress.
No suppliers on Alibaba will dropship. Almost every supplier on Aliexpress will.

I suggest you search the forum for threads dealing with dropshipping, and don't be fooled by people selling courses on how to make a fortune by dropshipping.
I've identified a particular item that isn't sold on Amazon.ca in this particular brand
This rings alarm bells. If it is a big brand name you stand to lose everything. Even a less known brand could cause you trouble if it is a registered trademark.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
if you really mean dropshipping: think about how long would you wait for any purchased good? 1 day? 1 week? One month? At 2-4 weeks you are at your business model.
I would never again wait 3 weeks for something that has normal prize. Even prizes on Aliexpress are often more expensive as on ebay.de, but here I get it next day.

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
Seems like a pretty resounding no for the most part. I too was a bit concerned why this particular product wasn't being sold. I'm convinced to turn my attention elsewhere. I nearly put out an order too XD.

Thank you for those who took the time to respond, I appreciate the input!

Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.