The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Ordering gym/fitness equipment from Alibaba or otherwise. help?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

kameronja

New Contributor
Jan 8, 2016
Hi Fastlaners - I'm running a bunch of niche fitness class in the UAE and I'm at a point right now where my audience is starting to grow so I'm ready to start investing in some equipment (kettlebells, dumbells, elastic bands, etc) to enhance the quality of my classes.

It's not a full out gym but more than if you were just buying for personal use. To give you an idea of volume, I'll need a range of kettlebells from 4kg - 24 kg and ill need at least 2 of each (so say a total of 20 kettlebells). This amongst various other pieces of equipment, but nothing like what would be needed for a full commercial-use gym.

When I look at retail outlets here, the prices are way to expensive for this type of stuff, so I've gone online and looked at some suppliers from AliBaba. However, I have no experience ordering wholesale from the online retailer and could use some advice from seasoned veterans.

I obviously want to get quality products but for a good price. Any recommendations of the best way to achieve what's been described: bulk ordering heavy fitness equipment online for a good price.

Thanks alll!!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I should not do this to suppliers, even ones on Alibaba, but your best hope of getting what you want at the best price is to make them think that you want samples to test the market.

Even then, the freight on the kettlebells could be a killer. You will usually pay a higher than advertised price for samples. Buy from the manufacturers, not from traders. See my AMA regarding this matter.

It is possible that you might do better buying from a supplier on Aliexpress.

Just a few suggestions about risks:
  • Don't pay via Western Union.
  • Don't believe reviews on those sites.
  • Don't believe everything you read on those sites.
  • Don't accept shipment on a freight collect basis.
Finally, shop around locally where you won't have to pay a huge freight bill.

Walter

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jul 20, 2014
Do any of your local equipment stores have financing options for large purchases? Actually, maybe you should research who the equipment stores buy their product from... there's a wholesaler somewhere in that supply chain.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
Hi Fastlaners - I'm running a bunch of niche fitness class in the UAE and I'm at a point right now where my audience is starting to grow so I'm ready to start investing in some equipment (kettlebells, dumbells, elastic bands, etc) to enhance the quality of my classes.
What abut buying used weights? Maybe you can find a source locally?

I buy all my home gym equipment used, for WAY less than retail.

Weights are one of the few things I buy locally, and not online. Because of the freight.

0VO

Contributor
Jun 8, 2016
Ontario
Have you checked your local Kijiji? There are usually people who already have some type of distribution/warehouse setup, that are selling equipment comparable to the quality you find on Alibaba at a fair price.

if it was some other object it might be worth looking at, but you're shipping WEIGHT. So the cost of freight will end up costing the same thing (or more) as local-retail, unless you fill up a pallet and put it on a boat.

Another option would be to look at local gyms, see if any gyms are closing, look for other warehouse-gym-suppliers near by. Sometimes they sell off their equipment when they're closing/moving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Thanks for the detailed response. I see it similar, in the beginning, you have only a small...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
The day I can afford to pay 800 a month to have someone keep me accountable is the day I've won...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom