• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Ordering gym/fitness equipment from Alibaba or otherwise. help?

Discussion in 'Product Creation, Inventing, Importing, Sourcing' started by kameronja, Oct 7, 2018.

1. kameronja

kameronja New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $81
    Hi Fastlaners - I'm running a bunch of niche fitness class in the UAE and I'm at a point right now where my audience is starting to grow so I'm ready to start investing in some equipment (kettlebells, dumbells, elastic bands, etc) to enhance the quality of my classes.

It's not a full out gym but more than if you were just buying for personal use. To give you an idea of volume, I'll need a range of kettlebells from 4kg - 24 kg and ill need at least 2 of each (so say a total of 20 kettlebells). This amongst various other pieces of equipment, but nothing like what would be needed for a full commercial-use gym.

When I look at retail outlets here, the prices are way to expensive for this type of stuff, so I've gone online and looked at some suppliers from AliBaba. However, I have no experience ordering wholesale from the online retailer and could use some advice from seasoned veterans.

I obviously want to get quality products but for a good price. Any recommendations of the best way to achieve what's been described: bulk ordering heavy fitness equipment online for a good price.

Thanks alll!!

2. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $59,569
    I should not do this to suppliers, even ones on Alibaba, but your best hope of getting what you want at the best price is to make them think that you want samples to test the market.

Even then, the freight on the kettlebells could be a killer. You will usually pay a higher than advertised price for samples. Buy from the manufacturers, not from traders. See my AMA regarding this matter.

It is possible that you might do better buying from a supplier on Aliexpress.

Just a few suggestions about risks:
    • Don't pay via Western Union.
    • Don't believe reviews on those sites.
    • Don't believe everything you read on those sites.
    • Don't accept shipment on a freight collect basis.
    Finally, shop around locally where you won't have to pay a huge freight bill.

Walter

0VO, amp0193, kameronja and 1 other person like this.
  3. Merging Left

Merging Left Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,528
    Do any of your local equipment stores have financing options for large purchases? Actually, maybe you should research who the equipment stores buy their product from... there's a wholesaler somewhere in that supply chain.

Tommo likes this.
  4. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,601
    What abut buying used weights? Maybe you can find a source locally?

I buy all my home gym equipment used, for WAY less than retail.

Weights are one of the few things I buy locally, and not online. Because of the freight.

Walter Hay and 0VO like this.
  5. 0VO

0VO Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $249
    Have you checked your local Kijiji? There are usually people who already have some type of distribution/warehouse setup, that are selling equipment comparable to the quality you find on Alibaba at a fair price.

if it was some other object it might be worth looking at, but you're shipping WEIGHT. So the cost of freight will end up costing the same thing (or more) as local-retail, unless you fill up a pallet and put it on a boat.

Another option would be to look at local gyms, see if any gyms are closing, look for other warehouse-gym-suppliers near by. Sometimes they sell off their equipment when they're closing/moving.

amp0193 and Walter Hay like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.