The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Great great Thing to mention, I have been thinking about this more and more recently. Im convinced that I need to improve this part of my life in order to get to the next level.

Can anyone recommend any youtube channels or blogs that tackle improving looks/style for a man?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
I've been experimenting and doing personalized outdoor videos for prospects. During the summer there are days that can be quite hot.

What attire would you recommend for something like this?

a) short sleeved dress shirt
b) tight fitting athletic gear
c) something else entirely?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Man i just seen this one chick... goodlookin girl... maroon skirt... then i realized she was wearing sneakers with that

like for real? this is like wearing a suit with Nikes

i totally cringed

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Great great Thing to mention, I have been thinking about this more and more recently. Im convinced that I need to improve this part of my life in order to get to the next level.

Can anyone recommend any youtube channels or blogs that tackle improving looks/style for a man?
What I did when I was trying to figure out my style was simply find friends of mine who's style I admired, then just pay attention to what they do. if they have a social media account, you can go through their uploads. 'damn that white belt looks fresh...' then search for something similar online

or i'd pay attention to people i saw while out and just ask them.. 'hey dude i really like those jeans, where's you get those?' after a few weeks you'll have a great idea of what your individual style is

i'm not a big fan of style blogs because what if i don't have their taste? style is more individual than music

but if you insist on a blog, try to find one that fits your style

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
@Kak If it isn’t a hassle, would it be okay if you post an outfit that you would wear?

There’s a lot of gold in this thread, but I’m having a hard time actually visualizing, let alone trying to think, “what would match.” But I also do find the posts relating to one item as well. Once I get back in the U.S, I’m for sure having my measurements taken at an Allen Edmonds store.

In addition, I’m just now learning that a button down collar isn’t necessarily business. (That alone, rings the alarms on how far behind I am.) Would you recommend a spread collar instead?

Thank you

Something like this:

If you’re just building up your wardrobe think simply. Solid navy and solid gray suit, white and light blue shirts and build off of that. While you may not be on the cutting edge of whatever trend is hot that month, you will never be underdressed and always viewed with respect.

You don’t need to spend $700 on a suit either, that just happens to be the one I chose here. Take @AgainstAllOdds up on his offer. Suits have ridiculous markups. We have a family friend with a Men’s store selling $1,000 suits, they sell them to me for $250.

The single most important thing is to make sure it is tailored to your body. A properly tailored $300 suit looks 10x better than a poor fitting $2,000 one.

And yeah...button down collars made a brief comeback as acceptable business attire but the trend has faded.

Man i just seen this one chick... goodlookin girl... maroon skirt... then i realized she was wearing sneakers with that

like for real? this is like wearing a suit with Nikes

i totally cringed

Get used to it brother, that’s trending in women’s fashion right now.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
My formula is simple.

Go to places where the affluent congregate, observe what they are wearing, look for patterns ... then emulate it.

If you see me in court I am almost always wearing the same combination. Blue Brooks Brothers blazer. White French cuff shirt. Red tie. Tan slacks. Black Melzan shoes and belt. Everything tailored. Conservative haircut.

I will deviate from this combination every now and then. Typically when I am meeting with the same client on consecutive days. But otherwise: I find my best look and I run with it.

Zenas-Zelotes-Large-Modified-Torso2 (1).jpg

This was a dress combination that I observed worn regularly among the affluent in New England. So I adopted it.

Look the part.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I still have a slowlane job. Is it okay to dress better than your boss?

I experimented with this. My philosophy was, "Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have."

However, I did get some "hints" and comments from, let's just say, the more insecure/pathological members of company leadership.

I concluded they felt threatened by the fact that I was dressing more sharply than them.

So I toned it down.

Of course, that was as a slowlaner in a slowlane job. If you're a fastlaner in a fastlane position, you're a leader and you're free to dress like a leader.

Could it be the same for the ladies? Are the professional gals also judged in that same manner?

I hear that high-heels can be quite stressing for the feet, yet I see the business ladies wear them all year round to meetings and such.

Rant:
Oh my word. If anything, I'd say ladies are judged far more harshly than men on the wardrobe question. And it seems like ladies are the ones who tend to judge each other the most.

For men, it's simple.

Slacks, nice shirt, jacket, nice shoes, nice haircut, nice watch, nice tie, done. Good to go.

The trends for men only shift very slowly. If you look at a man's suit from the 1920's, the cut and style is fairly similar to a man's suit today. Maybe the shape of the collar is a little different. The width of the lapels. The number of buttons. Whether you wear a vest or not. Stuff like that. But overall, go back in time 100 years and you're seeing almost the same clothes you see today.

Not only that - men get to have POCKETS in their clothes. Their clothes get to be relatively comfortable.

OK, so a man's suit is not as comfy as pajamas.

But have you ever thought about the nightmare of wearing a pencil skirt? It starts by being uncomfortably tight. Then it wants to ride up and gets bunched around your waist, so you're constantly pulling it down. You can't walk normally, because it's too narrow to take normal-size steps, so you have to take fast little baby steps. AND you're in heels, so you're conscious that your feet are probably slowly developing bunions. Not to mention the tripping hazard, the fact that you can't walk in grass without your heels punching into the soil, and the chance of twisting your ankle.

But if you dress in a flowy skirt and comfortable flat shoes, all the sudden, you're a frump.

For ladies, tasteful and appropriate work attire is riddled with pitfalls and can truly be a nightmare.

Don't get me wrong.

I love dressing up. I abhor sloppiness. And there's no doubt at all that if you walk into a room dressed impeccably in tasteful business attire, you instantly get a boost of respect that you DON'T get when you're just in casual clothes.

And to be fair, times have changed for the better in this department. (Hello, 1960's, where if you didn't have the right hairstyle and your skirt at EXACTLY the right length, to the inch, you were a fashion outcast.) There's a LOT more leeway and freedom of personal choice than there used to be.

A combination that works for me:
  • Dress slacks
  • Nice collared shirts in colors like french blue (Wrinkle-free, collared shirts are HARD to find in ladies' clothes. I am bitter about this.) :rofl:
  • A few blazers
  • Comfortable heels, like Clarks - I buy leather only so that they're breathable
  • A handful of necklaces and accessory items to change up the look
  • Supplementing for items outside this wardrobe, such as dresses, classy tank tops, or sweaters, by shopping at stores like Ann Taylor or Talbot's

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I would get the book "Dress for Success" it is snobby and entertaining.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I've been experimenting and doing personalized outdoor videos for prospects. During the summer there are days that can be quite hot.

What attire would you recommend for something like this?

a) short sleeved dress shirt
b) tight fitting athletic gear
c) something else entirely?

In this case, it is not a business setting... I would say wear what is appropriate for the task.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Oh and for those asking style tips... For any even remotely formal settings, always get your shirts tailored. Tailoring can make a $30 shirt look like a $300 shirt. But even if its a more expensive fashion cut shirt, still get it tailored. Really everything should be tailored.

I'm personally a huge fan of plain white or black silk ties. Or even better, knit ties. Lose the complex patterns. Simplicity is elegance. And if you have any holiday themed ties burn them immediately and seek professional help.

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Something like this:

If you’re just building up your wardrobe think simply. Solid navy and solid gray suit, white and light blue shirts and build off of that. While you may not be on the cutting edge of whatever trend is hot that month, you will never be underdressed and always viewed with respect.

You don’t need to spend $700 on a suit either, that just happens to be the one I chose here. Take @AgainstAllOdds up on his offer. Suits have ridiculous markups. We have a family friend with a Men’s store selling $1,000 suits, they sell them to me for $250.

The single most important thing is to make sure it is tailored to your body. A properly tailored $300 suit looks 10x better than a poor fitting $2,000 one.

And yeah...button down collars made a brief comeback as acceptable business attire but the trend has faded.

Get used to it brother, that’s trending in women’s fashion right now.

Thank you for this! And @AgainstAllOdds I may just take you up on that offer you previously mentioned! I'll take my measurements back when I get to the states. Do you think going to any Mens Warehouse, etc... to get my measurements taken would suffice?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thank you for this! And @AgainstAllOdds I may just take you up on that offer you previously mentioned! I'll take my measurements back when I get to the states. Do you think going to any Mens Warehouse, etc... to get my measurements taken would suffice?

Oh, no need to go all the way back to the states for that!
I got one suit done at a small-time tailor locally. Can be done anywhere.

Cost around a thousand ringgit...quite a decent price point.

Still wearing it even after high school.

Ask around your Korean friends, if they have recommendations, if you are still there for the classes and competition. :)
But I'm not sure if they take sizes or cloths differently...since Korea's climate is colder than US generally, there may be differences in cutting.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Few months ago, I wanted to buy a new suit but - like many folks here - I lift, the regular sizes never fit for me: pants too small on the upper legs, jacket too small on shoulders and arms etc... Getting a suit tailor made is easily €1000, so I looked for other options.

Last month I traveled to Shenzhen and searched beforehand if there was a tailor that could make me a suit. I found this video:

So I went to this tailor and ordered 2 three-piece suits on Saturday morning. The next day in the evening I could pick them up already. Total price: about €300 and they are well made.

The funny part is: I have probably the cheapest suit there is, even cheaper than most people's regular clothes, but everyone really treats my like a baws when I wear those :rofl:
That place is really a hell-hole. A bunch of people latching on to you, literally following you into stores and won't stop following you. Once you say anything... you best bet they're going to be with you until they visit all their friends that can "give you the best deal". Went there in 2017, I remember a man named Peter sold me and some friends some fake Yeezy's because why not. Negotiated them down from his asking price of $1XX to roughly $10-30 if I remember.

What do you think of the Allen Edmond "Lloyd" shoes for business casual? (Or maybe even in a non-black suit?) Would they look strange for that? I just bought a pre-owned pair in excellent condition off of ebay for $45.
View attachment 25389
Those should be alright, but just so you know. The more holes in your shoe, the less formal it is.

I just re-read this thread from start-to-finish and my brain is literally fried. Thank you all for all the valuable gold nuggets. And it's ridiculous... the number of people saying, "I don't want to wear a suit... People in suits are fake... Blah blah blah". THIS ISN'T ABOUT FASHION OR ACTING RICH. IT'S ABOUT YOUR PROFESSIONALISM.

Maybe you can execute, but why look like a slob doing it? So many complaints about dressing better. Something that can literally only benefit you.

I find that back in America, the bar for dressing well is outrageously low! Why wouldn't you want to have a competitive advantage? Why wouldn't you want to feel better about yourself? These small things are only HELPING.

There was some posts in earlier pages asking about sweat. I sweat a lot! And it doesn't even have to be hot, there will still be sweat stains at the end of the day. I found an incredible product while I was in America, and just before I left back to Asia... I loaded on these.

It's called, "Certain Dri - Prescription Strength Clinical" and supposedly only found at Target. It's a roll-on antiperspirant, you apply it right before you sleep so that it can work its magic overnight. And the next day you won't sweat. Note you must apply this during the night because if you apply it and put on a shirt immediately you may have some stains from it.

Works like magic and I just wanted to share it because I'm a real advocate of this product. I've tried about four/five different brands that promised no stains or sweating and none of them worked.

Only $7.00 online:
https://www.target.com/p/certain-dr...l-roll-on-antiperspirant-2-fl-oz/-/A-14898351

I know a lot of the starter suits comments mentioned were either gray or navy, but I wanted feedback. How does this look?
Golden Fleece® Regent Fit Plaid Suit - Brooks Brothers
It's listed as gray but it looks more brown/tan.
MK01012_GREY
MK01012_GREY_2

Thoughts on this navy & light pinstripes?
Madison Fit Pinstripe 1818 Suit - Brooks Brothers
MK01006_NAVY
MK01006_NAVY_2

I'm liking both. My plan is to send these images to the Chinese store that @AgainstAllOdds referred me to.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
But overall, go back in time 100 years and you're seeing almost the same clothes you see today.

The mains striking difference is the modern-day lack of hats.

And it's ridiculous... the number of people saying, "I don't want to wear a suit... People in suits are fake... Blah blah blah". THIS ISN'T ABOUT FASHION OR ACTING RICH. IT'S ABOUT YOUR PROFESSIONALISM.

Maybe you can execute, but why look like a slob doing it? So many complaints about dressing better. Something that can literally only benefit you.
Acceptable levels of professional attire do shift though and men's professional attire has simply gotten more and more casual. None of you are wearing your top hats, let alone breeches and silk stockings that would have signaled (expensive) professionalism. Judge's robes and white wigs would have looked as ordinary as a suit does to our modern day eyes once upon a time.

Given the amount of people objecting to suits, I do wonder if we are approaching or on the cusp of another change.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
The mains striking difference is the modern-day lack of hats.

Acceptable levels of professional attire do shift though and men's professional attire has simply gotten more and more casual. None of you are wearing your top hats, let alone breeches and silk stockings that would have signaled (expensive) professionalism. Judge's robes and white wigs would have looked as ordinary as a suit does to our modern day eyes once upon a time.

Given the amount of people objecting to suits, I do wonder if we are approaching or on the cusp of another change.

Maybe the western side of the world is becoming more casual. But I can tell you on the east-side here in China, South Korea, and Japan... suits will not be going away for a long while. If people are becoming more casual in the west, it seems like more of a trend.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Belt- The ultimate would be to buy one that matches the styling of the shoes. Otherwise just match the color.

Socks- You can't go wrong by matching the slacks. Yes long dress socks. No wild patterns, subtle conservative patterning if any.
Do you like those ratchet design belts or the good ol' holes?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
That place is really a hell-hole. A bunch of people latching on to you, literally following you into stores and won't stop following you. Once you say anything... you best bet they're going to be with you until they visit all their friends that can "give you the best deal". Went there in 2017, I remember a man named Peter sold me and some friends some fake Yeezy's because why not. Negotiated them down from his asking price of $1XX to roughly $10-30 if I remember.

Those should be alright, but just so you know. The more holes in your shoe, the less formal it is.

I just re-read this thread from start-to-finish and my brain is literally fried. Thank you all for all the valuable gold nuggets. And it's ridiculous... the number of people saying, "I don't want to wear a suit... People in suits are fake... Blah blah blah". THIS ISN'T ABOUT FASHION OR ACTING RICH. IT'S ABOUT YOUR PROFESSIONALISM.

I find that back in America, the bar for dressing well is outrageously low! Why wouldn't you want to have a competitive advantage? Why wouldn't you want to feel better about yourself? These small things are only HELPING.

There was some posts in earlier pages asking about sweat. I sweat a lot! And it doesn't even have to be hot, there will still be sweat stains at the end of the day. I found an incredible product while I was in America, and just before I left back to Asia... I loaded on these.

It's called, "Certain Dri - Prescription Strength Clinical" and supposedly only found at Target. It's a roll-on antiperspirant, you apply it right before you sleep so that it can work its magic overnight. And the next day you won't sweat. Note you must apply this during the night because if you apply it and put on a shirt immediately you may have some stains from it.

Works like magic and I just wanted to share it because I'm a real advocate of this product. I've tried about four/five different brands that promised no stains or sweating and none of them worked.

Only $7.00 online:
https://www.target.com/p/certain-dr...l-roll-on-antiperspirant-2-fl-oz/-/A-14898351

I know a lot of the starter suits comments mentioned were either gray or navy, but I wanted feedback. How does this look?
Golden Fleece® Regent Fit Plaid Suit - Brooks Brothers
It's listed as gray but it looks more brown/tan.
MK01012_GREY
MK01012_GREY_2

Thoughts on this navy & light pinstripes?
Madison Fit Pinstripe 1818 Suit - Brooks Brothers
MK01006_NAVY
MK01006_NAVY_2

I'm liking both. My plan is to send these images to the Chinese store that @AgainstAllOdds referred me to.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
What’s the case for suit (pants/jacket) buttons?
2019.jpg_640x640q70.jpg

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was telling my wife yesterday when I wear a suit I look like a little kid playing dress up. Perhaps the problem is that most of my suits have been purchased from Mens Warehouse.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
I was telling my wife yesterday when I wear a suit I look like a little kid playing dress up. Perhaps the problem is that most of my suits have been purchased from Mens Warehouse.

The problem is that you are not yet comfortable with the thought of your wearing a suit. This makes me think of a profound and true saying that I saw on a men's style message board a few years ago: "The secret to wearing a hat is to pretend that you are not wearing a hat".

So wear a suit a few times and that feeling will go away. It is 100% internal.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015

I recommend that you stay away from youtube and blogs. Stick to Classic Menswear on Styleforum and the Fashion Forum or Trad Forum on Ask Andy About Clothes. These allow you to pick and choose exactly the topics which interest you. You can find some very experienced and sophisticated regular posters there.

And as I have mentioned before, if you want to build your knowledge on a bedrock foundation buy a copy of Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The problem is that you are not yet comfortable with the thought of your wearing a suit. This makes me think of a profound and true saying that I saw on a men's style message board a few years ago: "The secret to wearing a hat is to pretend that you are not wearing a hat".

So wear a suit a few times and that feeling will go away. It is 100% internal.

I prefer suits from Billabong.

"Work boots, one blue suit
Size too small, don't wear at all
Unless somebody kicks, gets hitched
That's a bitch, makes me itch" - Trace Adkins

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Since you're in Florida, I would check out some linen sport coats. I have a gray herringbone and a solid ivory. They go great with jeans or more breathable golf pants.

Florida doesnt seem to get more formal with darker colored suits until you get to Palm Beach, probably because they are North Easterners. Maybe Miami, not sure on that one though.

Stick with the sport coat thing. I think you'll like it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Since you're in Florida, I would check out some linen sport coats. I have a gray herringbone and a solid ivory. They go great with jeans or more breathable golf pants.

Florida doesnt seem to get more formal with darker colored suits until you get to Palm Beach, probably because they are North Easterners. Maybe Miami, not sure on that one though.

Stick with the sport coat thing. I think you'll like it.

I think I need to get a white linen sportcoat. Almost the vintage Don Johnson look.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think I need to get a white linen sportcoat. Almost the vintage Don Johnson look.

Men's Warehouse is fine by the way. Just get something that fits nice. My linen coats are from JC Penny. They are Stafford brand. I abuse my Stafford stuff and I always still get compliments.

I buy Super 120s full canvassed suits minimum now.

I'll buy the cheap JC penny sportcoats any day.

D

Deleted69685

Here are my 2 cents (from female perspective, if I may?):

1. There is a good book (very old book first published around 1984) called Colour for Men - a complete approach to looking your best by Carole Jackson. Understand and learn your colours and what complements your natural skin/hair/eyes/personality.

2. Overdressing to a point that you look too "crisp" and too "off-the-shelf-like" is a bit much. It really looks artificial. It can also make you seem very unapproachable and scary. Allow yourself to be down to earth, even if you are flying high.

3. If you show off your wealth too much, you are foolish, for you only attract attention from inappropriate women (aka gold diggers) and from people who resent and envy you. Being humble is key.

4. Subtle elegance is the answer (this is my personal opinion) but it depends what you want to project and what occasion you are dressing for. For example, do you want to project authority and confidence in a business suit?

5. Never let your g/f or wife buy/choose your clothes. Not intended to be unfriendly towards your better half but...you know yourself best and what feels comfortable.

6. Get a professional stylist if you are not sure what looks best on you, this is money well spent. Subtle changes can make you look really sharp (if that is the look you are going for).

7. Choose supreme quality in fabrics, comfortable fit and always have some suits tailor-made.

8. And lastly, dressing for success is only one aspect - dont forget, amongst other things, the posture and the way you walk!

Have fun!

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Men's Warehouse is fine by the way. Just get something that fits nice. My linen coats are from JC Penny. They are Stafford brand. I abuse my Stafford stuff and I always still get compliments.

I buy Super 120s full canvassed suits minimum now.

I'll buy the cheap JC penny sportcoats any day.
This what I notice. You don't always have to get expensive stuff to look nice. Sure I have some ~$300 jeans I love, but I also have some $10 shirts from Starter. One of my favorite dress shirts is this nice blue one I paid like $25 for and got tailored.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States