The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

WillHurtDontCare

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
This is so true. I might get hate for this, but Kinobody really showed me which workouts I need to be doing. For a long time I just did everything... If there was a machine for it, I did it. Stupid way to work out. I suggest everyone find a real program. The focus on back, shoulders, arms, & chest really works... Shoulders especially. But you need a program otherwise you're just doing random sh*t in the gym.

Just look up what Arnold and his training partners did and do the same thing. Obviously they used steroids so scale back accordingly, but you can probably those routines, scale down the volume (do 45-75 minutes rather than 4 hours) and get great results.

Also look up Dorian Yates, Mike Mentzer, and Tom Platz and copy them.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I've worked places that required suits, and I've worked in startups.
Wearing a suit changed me. I was more effective, organized and efficient. I spoke recently with a former executive of Anheuser-Busch and he said the same thing. He was a different person with the suit on.

Quick story about dressing the part:
He told me at the time he worked out of Denver.

His first sales call was in California. He flew coach, stayed at a Holiday Inn near the airport, rented a compact car. He turned in his expense report on a Friday.

That Sunday, he gets a call early in the morning that the Executive Vice President wants to talk to him Monday morning, they had a flight booked for him to St. Louis already. He gets to the airport around 11, and finds he's got a first-class ticket. He flies out to St. Louis, a limo picks him up, and he finds they booked him at the Four Seasons that night.

Monday morning, the Executive Vice President has this expense report on the desk, and asks this sales executive, "How do we do things at Anheuser-Busch?"

Executive: "The right way?"

Executive Vice President: "NO. We do things FIRST CLASS here. Why do you think we sent out a stylist and purchased all those expensive suits for you? When you fly first class, you meet the kind of people we want to know and do business with. When you're having a nightcap at the Four Seasons, you'll run into someone who owns a franchise, or a resort. A potential account. At the Holiday Inn bar, you're going to be talking to the Fuller Brush man. It's about the people you associate with, and the opportunity it creates. From now on, EVERYWHERE you go, you fly first class. You stay in the best hotels. I don't want to see any more expense reports like this."

This was in the 80s, but the point still resonates. Associate yourself with the kind of people that create opportunity for you and them. If you're looking to do business with first-class people, you need to look the part, whatever that may be.

I love this story. Although I don't always dress in suits (it's 100 degrees here), or even try to impress people much, I think this is very true. Out of pure lust for comfort I stay in 5 star hotels and belong to "business clubs" that serve ridiculously good food. You'd never guess who I meet as a side effect of being in those places. And... well most of them have dress codes of some sort, so they force me to look like a civilized barbarian.

PapaGang

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah I love that story too. This guy is my boss and mentor, but his stories are incredible. I could launch a podcast with the first dozen episodes dedicated to him and his tales. He's had a crazy life, but he's also a great mentor.

I like your philosophy about staying in 5 star hotels. This should be a goal of mine at some point.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 8, 2018
London
Worth mentioning: the best fashion advice that you'll ever get is to develop a good weightlifting routine.

Good article on presenting that case here: The Ideal Physique For Maximizing Your Style

I have a friend who started lifting - a slim guy then & a slim guy now - you don't need to get huge. But I swear lifting subtly changed the shape of his shoulders in such a way that it looked like he had different (better!) bone structure!
It literally made it look like he had better genes.

And if anyone doesn't think that's part of how people judge you (including non-sexually) then head on over to amazon, look up Beauty Pays: Why Attractive People Are More Successful by Daniel S. Hamermesh & skim through the 'look inside' feature. Even the table of contents should provide you with the idea that yes, how you look influences every outcome in life (to a degree). I don't even know if it covers the many studies about teachers giving better looking pupils more help, or forgiving mis-behaviour more easily, or workers more readily following an attractive leader as their CEO, or voting for the better looking person, or better looking people being more likely to get better outcomes when they're a defendant in a court of law, etc. etc. (all studies I've seen mentioned somewhere or other).

It all feeds into people's perception of you, which is what we're doing by carefully picking these clothes in this thread.

WillHurtDontCare

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
But I swear lifting subtly changed the shape of his shoulders in such a way that it looked like he had different (better!) bone structure!

Making serious progress in weightlifting requires addressing all of the horrible posture problems that people accumulate in this sedentary society; and that alone makes you look significantly more muscular.

Hell, I've seen people on various fitness subreddits post "before" and "after" pictures where all they did was correct their posture.

Literally everything about your life improves when you are good at weightlifting. And women should do it too.

Edit:

Tom Platz (quote below starts at 5:50):

"... I'd be some homeless guy in Detroit if it wasn't for bodybuilding. It gave me a life. So right now, it's not about the money, I don't care about the money, it's not about gaining position as a bodybuilding player in the business, it's about just giving back to something that really gave me a lot, it gave me a life. And that's the reason I'm here."

Last edited:

thechosen1

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 25, 2020
Texas
Good article on presenting that case here: The Ideal Physique For Maximizing Your Style

I have a friend who started lifting - a slim guy then & a slim guy now - you don't need to get huge. But I swear lifting subtly changed the shape of his shoulders in such a way that it looked like he had different (better!) bone structure!

And if anyone doesn't think that's part of how people judge you (including non-sexually) then head on over to amazon, look up Beauty Pays: Why Attractive People Are More Successful by Daniel S. Hamermesh & skim through the 'look inside' feature. Even the table of contents should provide you with the idea that yes, how you look influences every outcome in life (to a degree). I don't even know if it covers the many studies about teachers giving better looking pupils more help, or forgiving mis-behaviour more easily, or workers more readily following an attractive leader as their CEO, or voting for the better looking person, or better looking people being more likely to get better outcomes when they're a defendant in a court of law, etc. etc. (all studies I've seen mentioned somewhere or other).

It all feeds into people's perception of you, which is what we're doing by carefully picking these clothes in this thread.

The awesome thing about this is that it proves you can influence how attractive you are.
So +1 for attractiveness boosting your success, +2 for being able to change how you look.
That's a win-win.

But yeah like in my other comment, shoulders alone make a HUGE difference in your appearance. I still don't have abs but bigger shoulders matter haha

WillHurtDontCare

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
The awesome thing about this is that it proves you can influence how attractive you are.

things that you can do to improve your physical attractiveness (beyond the gym)
  • Spend more time in the sun and get a tan
  • Change your hairstyle / facial hair
  • Improve your skin by doing the following:
    • Drink more water
    • Eat less processed food (ideally, none)
    • Eat higher nutrient food
    • Get better sleep
Most people are significantly less attractive than they should be just because they don't even try to take care of themselves. You can look dramatically different by doing any of the above.

Edit:

Videos like these are great.

Last edited:

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom