The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Champion

Contributor
Apr 12, 2019
Germany
Great great Thing to mention, I have been thinking about this more and more recently. Im convinced that I need to improve this part of my life in order to get to the next level.

Can anyone recommend any youtube channels or blogs that tackle improving looks/style for a man?

Reactions: Kak

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Devampre

Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
I've been experimenting and doing personalized outdoor videos for prospects. During the summer there are days that can be quite hot.

What attire would you recommend for something like this?

a) short sleeved dress shirt
b) tight fitting athletic gear
c) something else entirely?

ChrisV

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Great great Thing to mention, I have been thinking about this more and more recently. Im convinced that I need to improve this part of my life in order to get to the next level.

Can anyone recommend any youtube channels or blogs that tackle improving looks/style for a man?
What I did when I was trying to figure out my style was simply find friends of mine who's style I admired, then just pay attention to what they do. if they have a social media account, you can go through their uploads. 'damn that white belt looks fresh...' then search for something similar online

or i'd pay attention to people i saw while out and just ask them.. 'hey dude i really like those jeans, where's you get those?' after a few weeks you'll have a great idea of what your individual style is

i'm not a big fan of style blogs because what if i don't have their taste? style is more individual than music

but if you insist on a blog, try to find one that fits your style

MTEE1985

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
@Kak If it isn’t a hassle, would it be okay if you post an outfit that you would wear?

There’s a lot of gold in this thread, but I’m having a hard time actually visualizing, let alone trying to think, “what would match.” But I also do find the posts relating to one item as well. Once I get back in the U.S, I’m for sure having my measurements taken at an Allen Edmonds store.

In addition, I’m just now learning that a button down collar isn’t necessarily business. (That alone, rings the alarms on how far behind I am.) Would you recommend a spread collar instead?

Thank you
Something like this:

If you’re just building up your wardrobe think simply. Solid navy and solid gray suit, white and light blue shirts and build off of that. While you may not be on the cutting edge of whatever trend is hot that month, you will never be underdressed and always viewed with respect.

You don’t need to spend $700 on a suit either, that just happens to be the one I chose here. Take @AgainstAllOdds up on his offer. Suits have ridiculous markups. We have a family friend with a Men’s store selling $1,000 suits, they sell them to me for $250.

The single most important thing is to make sure it is tailored to your body. A properly tailored $300 suit looks 10x better than a poor fitting $2,000 one.

And yeah...button down collars made a brief comeback as acceptable business attire but the trend has faded.

Man i just seen this one chick... goodlookin girl... maroon skirt... then i realized she was wearing sneakers with that

like for real? this is like wearing a suit with Nikes

i totally cringed
Get used to it brother, that’s trending in women’s fashion right now.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
www.DivorceShark.net
My formula is simple.

Go to places where the affluent congregate, observe what they are wearing, look for patterns ... then emulate it.

If you see me in court I am almost always wearing the same combination. Blue Brooks Brothers blazer. White French cuff shirt. Red tie. Tan slacks. Black Melzan shoes and belt. Everything tailored. Conservative haircut.

I will deviate from this combination every now and then. Typically when I am meeting with the same client on consecutive days. But otherwise: I find my best look and I run with it.

Zenas-Zelotes-Large-Modified-Torso2 (1).jpg

This was a dress combination that I observed worn regularly among the affluent in New England. So I adopted it.

Look the part.

Bekit

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
I still have a slowlane job. Is it okay to dress better than your boss?
I experimented with this. My philosophy was, "Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have."

However, I did get some "hints" and comments from, let's just say, the more insecure/pathological members of company leadership.

I concluded they felt threatened by the fact that I was dressing more sharply than them.

So I toned it down.

Of course, that was as a slowlaner in a slowlane job. If you're a fastlaner in a fastlane position, you're a leader and you're free to dress like a leader.

Could it be the same for the ladies? Are the professional gals also judged in that same manner?

I hear that high-heels can be quite stressing for the feet, yet I see the business ladies wear them all year round to meetings and such.
Rant:
Oh my word. If anything, I'd say ladies are judged far more harshly than men on the wardrobe question. And it seems like ladies are the ones who tend to judge each other the most.

For men, it's simple.

Slacks, nice shirt, jacket, nice shoes, nice haircut, nice watch, nice tie, done. Good to go.

The trends for men only shift very slowly. If you look at a man's suit from the 1920's, the cut and style is fairly similar to a man's suit today. Maybe the shape of the collar is a little different. The width of the lapels. The number of buttons. Whether you wear a vest or not. Stuff like that. But overall, go back in time 100 years and you're seeing almost the same clothes you see today.

Not only that - men get to have POCKETS in their clothes. Their clothes get to be relatively comfortable.

OK, so a man's suit is not as comfy as pajamas.

But have you ever thought about the nightmare of wearing a pencil skirt? It starts by being uncomfortably tight. Then it wants to ride up and gets bunched around your waist, so you're constantly pulling it down. You can't walk normally, because it's too narrow to take normal-size steps, so you have to take fast little baby steps. AND you're in heels, so you're conscious that your feet are probably slowly developing bunions. Not to mention the tripping hazard, the fact that you can't walk in grass without your heels punching into the soil, and the chance of twisting your ankle.

But if you dress in a flowy skirt and comfortable flat shoes, all the sudden, you're a frump.

For ladies, tasteful and appropriate work attire is riddled with pitfalls and can truly be a nightmare.

Don't get me wrong.

I love dressing up. I abhor sloppiness. And there's no doubt at all that if you walk into a room dressed impeccably in tasteful business attire, you instantly get a boost of respect that you DON'T get when you're just in casual clothes.

And to be fair, times have changed for the better in this department. (Hello, 1960's, where if you didn't have the right hairstyle and your skirt at EXACTLY the right length, to the inch, you were a fashion outcast.) There's a LOT more leeway and freedom of personal choice than there used to be.

A combination that works for me:
  • Dress slacks
  • Nice collared shirts in colors like french blue (Wrinkle-free, collared shirts are HARD to find in ladies' clothes. I am bitter about this.) :rofl:
  • A few blazers
  • Comfortable heels, like Clarks - I buy leather only so that they're breathable
  • A handful of necklaces and accessory items to change up the look
  • Supplementing for items outside this wardrobe, such as dresses, classy tank tops, or sweaters, by shopping at stores like Ann Taylor or Talbot's

OP
OP
Kak

Kak

Capitalist Swine
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011

I would get the book "Dress for Success" it is snobby and entertaining.

OP
OP
Kak

Kak

Capitalist Swine
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
I've been experimenting and doing personalized outdoor videos for prospects. During the summer there are days that can be quite hot.

What attire would you recommend for something like this?

a) short sleeved dress shirt
b) tight fitting athletic gear
c) something else entirely?
In this case, it is not a business setting... I would say wear what is appropriate for the task.

ChrisV

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Oh and for those asking style tips... For any even remotely formal settings, always get your shirts tailored. Tailoring can make a $30 shirt look like a $300 shirt. But even if its a more expensive fashion cut shirt, still get it tailored. Really everything should be tailored.

I'm personally a huge fan of plain white or black silk ties. Or even better, knit ties. Lose the complex patterns. Simplicity is elegance. And if you have any holiday themed ties burn them immediately and seek professional help.

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Ocean Man

How may I provide value?
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
Something like this:

If you’re just building up your wardrobe think simply. Solid navy and solid gray suit, white and light blue shirts and build off of that. While you may not be on the cutting edge of whatever trend is hot that month, you will never be underdressed and always viewed with respect.

You don’t need to spend $700 on a suit either, that just happens to be the one I chose here. Take @AgainstAllOdds up on his offer. Suits have ridiculous markups. We have a family friend with a Men’s store selling $1,000 suits, they sell them to me for $250.

The single most important thing is to make sure it is tailored to your body. A properly tailored $300 suit looks 10x better than a poor fitting $2,000 one.

And yeah...button down collars made a brief comeback as acceptable business attire but the trend has faded.

Get used to it brother, that’s trending in women’s fashion right now.
Thank you for this! And @AgainstAllOdds I may just take you up on that offer you previously mentioned! I'll take my measurements back when I get to the states. Do you think going to any Mens Warehouse, etc... to get my measurements taken would suffice?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom