The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does your "get rich" internet guru only make $28K/yr?

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
I probably wouldn't have written the book in today's market. Too many fakers, too much noise, too much saturation.
That would have been such a huge loss, I learned about TMF because someone recommended it.

I believe that even nowadays word of mouth would make it succeed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Osho had 99 Rolls Royces... all gifted to him by his followers :p I don't think he was a businessman. Or maybe he was?

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
I would guess that $28,500 is WAY MORE than most of these gurus make in one year.

Eh.. I dunno.. if they wouldn’t be banking and making good money you would stop hearing about them as they wouldn’t continue advertising themselves all over the place.. and yet we still do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Eh.. I dunno.. if they wouldn’t be banking and making good money you would stop hearing about them as they wouldn’t continue advertising themselves all over the place.. and yet we still do

But those are just the "out front" gurus. Some of them do very well. Not because they're necessarily great businessmen but instead because they're great marketers. Kudos to them.

99% of gurus that you don't see make nothing. They make maybe a couple hundred or occasionally some sucker will buy their $1,499 digital marketing class for a "limited time offer."

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
But those are just the "out front" gurus. Some of them do very well. Not because they're necessarily great businessmen but instead because they're great marketers. Kudos to them.

99% of gurus that you don't see make nothing. They make maybe a couple hundred or occasionally some sucker will buy their $1,499 digital marketing class for a "limited time offer."

Ah I see what you’re saying.. yeah makes sense.. like the millions of people who are now “life” coaches that pop in n out everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Guys like MJ are the exception, but 99.9% of people who are making great money have absolutely no desire or need to teach other people how to do it. This fact makes me immediately skeptical of absolutely anyone claiming to have a secret or a system to create wealth.

Hell, even the gurus who are rich, usually got to be that way simply from charging people to learn how to make money.

I'm possibly just a bid jaded from my time spent on the warrior forum. That's also probably why I find this forum such a refreshing change.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
I would guess that $28,500 is WAY MORE than most of these gurus make in one year.

Also making $2374.98 a month means you can HONESTLY claim to be making a six figure sum.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Also making $2374.98 a month means you can HONESTLY claim to be making a six figure sum.
I always have to look at my fingers to work out what a 5 figure and a 6 figure sum is.

Unless I’m mistaken then $2,374.98 per month is four figures a month and five figures a year.

(Goes back to staring at his hand...)

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
@Andy Black Yes it is.
Two, three, seven, four, nine and eight are six different figures (numbers) so whilst not actually telling the truth they could say "making six figures" :p

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I wrote TMF more than 10 years ago and it was a different time. But yea, that angle is probably costing me some readers in today's climate.
Time to push up UNSCRIPTED , I guess.:)

It has a non-lambo cover, and has a more 'thoughtful' approach for folks tired of seeing guru crap.

Making money is one thing.

Another question might be:
Profit or Revenue?

If you are earning coin, but yet much of it is burned with BRO-marketing to leave pennies for retained earnings, is it an actual victory?

I have never heard a guru talk by merit of profit. They only use generic terms like 'make $xxxxx' or 'earn $xxxxx'. Is it taxed? Does the guru strategy need you to pump some of the retained earnings into your company? Never explained.
That is something that MJ did settle, by revealing his average monthly profits for his limo company.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I don't see the point in any gurus. If you want to know how to get rich, it's very simple: get the biographies (not autobiographies) of a few dozen guys who got rich, and read them all.

Immediately all the patterns jump out. All of them worked long hours of focused hard work. All of them had as much equity in whatever they were doing as possible. All of them were assertive risk-takers. None of them followed "how to get rich" gurus (in some cases they did seek out other winners -- but even then it was demanding meetings with them, not just reading their book). That's pretty much it.

If you can't show continuous 12+ hour days, you don't have equity in what you're doing, and you're not venturing into unknown territory, those things should prioritize any advice seeking, or you just risk being an action faker.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

fishingpromoter

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 19, 2013
Florida
But, flashing your bank statements and exotic cars screams red flag to me

What are the credibility factors you look for?

I think even the best businesses with the best of intentions and products still have to create/show credibility to the market, so what are some of the suggestions you guys/ladies have for that?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
What are the credibility factors you look for?

I think even the best businesses with the best of intentions and products still have to create/show credibility to the market, so what are some of the suggestions you guys/ladies have for that?
Real testimonials from real people you know, then you do a cost/benefit analysis of the product/service.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Real testimonials from real people you know, then you do a cost/benefit analysis of the product/service.
That and grill them. If they can't withstand a grilling (e.g. rely on logical fallacies, dismiss the criticism rather than hit it head on with solid explanations), then their product/service is most likely garbage.

The reason these scamgurus exist in the first place is because people are lazy and comfort-seeking. Basically "discomforting minimizing drones". They don't want to hear that it's going to take long hours of focused assertive hard work with no payoff guarantee, to get to where they want to be. They'd rather pretend it's easy, that it can be achieved with "one weird trick", and that this "guru" has that secret and will give it to them for $299.99.

It's a demand-side problem. The gurus are just stepping up to give the supply.

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
The one I'm seeing more and more these days - probably more than the lambos from 'newer entrants' is the 'real sales' scam because most of their targets don't get the difference between profits and sales.

Especially when accumulated over many, many years.

I saw a course sold by a 'genius ecommerce guru' who has sold over $3,000,000 online over the last 7 years.

He was mostly dropshipping cheap items - what do you think his margins were? Even if they were 25% that's only just over $100k/year.

I used to work at a bank, there's thousands and thousands of small businesses doing 1-10M a year in revenue in larger cities. You'd be surprised how little profit that usually means they make for themselves.

But people see those big headline numbers, bank statements showing the money coming in etc and fall for the whole 'dropshipping cheap stuff is going to make me a millionaire' angle he's pushing. It might... but often the guy (it usually is a guy sadly for us guys...) selling you his $2,997 course isn't the one to show you how to do it as he hasn't made it himself yet.

Heck he's probably making 1/2 what a kid just a couple of years out of college spewing out disposable JavaScript code for a startup is making in the Valley. Not really very fast lane...

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Most of those marketers use "fake it 'til you make it". A lambo (put in another 6 figure luxury good), even if possible to pay, is not affordable at this stage, but it can be used as a tool, a shortcut, to new customers.

I often observe these guys on twitter etc... profile pic: Guy with lambo/ferrari/big beamer.
Then they transfer the zeitgeisty sayings like:

"I'm twenty, lambo, 7 figures....blah blah blah. Average 22,23,24,25,26 something:

• broke
  • in debt
  • out of shape
  • has gf that is this or that way"

yeah, maybe they are right that this is the average guy, and I wont argue that this were not true... but they all take the same line. It's pretty boring.

They try to make a highly individual thing, aka life and/or entrepreneuship, as mainstream as possible. Everyone has to have a 7-8 figure corporation, photos of receipts from designer stores (every other day 5-6k) and lambo. If you dont you are average. Average is bad. Bad means you have to buy their products. I doubt this culture.

And I do believe that everyone has to find their own way to freedom. Flipping appliances or revolutionizing the market of XYZ. You decide.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
The lambo and the big title is a marketing tool, just take a look at the shopify/dropshipping game, it's hilarious !
"From Broke to Filthy rich in 48hours" How tf can be hooked by these BS ?..
"Hey that's looks legit, this kid has a lambo"

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
You can buy a used supercar for just under $100k. My duplex was that price, and my mortgage is only $590. With $2400/mo, I could be paying on 4 duplexes, and I'd get most of the money back in rent. Just saying.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Last summer a bunch of young Spanish Youtubers made a metric f*ckton of money with a simple strategy.
4 or 5 got together and rented a house with swimming pool, they called it the Youtuber Mansion :smuggy:

Every day they all uploaded videos showing what a great time they were having in "the mansion", and each video got millions of views.

"Selling the dream" just works.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Since we’ve been discussing integrity and smoke and mirrors recently...

I just saw this posted, almost word for word (the last paragraph had been cut) on a Facebook group I’m in. No attribution or even “Just saw this, and it’s a really good point.”

If you’re going to steal MJ’s content, try to internalize the bits on providing value.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you’re going to steal MJ’s content, try to internalize the bits on providing value.

They stole my article? Link please...

BSK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 25, 2018
Massachusetts
I wrote TMF more than 10 years ago and it was a different time. But yea, that angle is probably costing me some readers in today's climate.
I was listening to a podcast where you spoke about your decision to change the book cover based on the public response. It's refreshing to see you practicing what you preach.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was listening to a podcast where you spoke about your decision to change the book cover based on the public response. It's refreshing to see you practicing what you preach.

Yes, it wasn't received very well, despite the fact that I liked it. Probably now a collectors item, lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.