The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Document as you go along

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Andy Black

Dad, Husband, Inbound Marketeer
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was just asked this:

I'm so curious about how you structure your time. You put that thought in my head about the sawmill (and the paid newsletter which i can't really shake btw). I love the idea and am executing it in two groups at the moment.

I see you do it daily. I see your high 'output level'. I don't really see you hurrying in your responses (a pitfall i fell into, which reduces the quality tremendously).

How do you structure your week/your day. How do you combine it with your client work, non-working hours, and stuff? Would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Here was the first part of my reply. I'll come back and add more later.

Yes, don't reply too soon and end up getting dragged into a tit-for-tat message conversation. Slow it down and make it more like an email conversation.

I created this thread a while back:
It's NOT that neat! Haha. And that was before the Coronavirus and the kids ended up staying home.

Yes, I have high output, because I document as I go along.

AN EXAMPLE FROM THIS MORNING:

1) I checked one of my projects this morning, had a think about it, took some action, then wrote it up for my team in Basecamp:

2) I then posted it to one of my progress threads:

3) I then immediately posted to my paid email newsletter which is like a curated version of all the content I drop in the forum and elsewhere:

I'm literally going to create a new thread in the forum out of this reply.

See what I do?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

alexkuzmov

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I was just asked this:

I'm so curious about how you structure your time. You put that thought in my head about the sawmill (and the paid newsletter which i can't really shake btw). I love the idea and am executing it in two groups at the moment.

I see you do it daily. I see your high 'output level'. I don't really see you hurrying in your responses (a pitfall i fell into, which reduces the quality tremendously).

How do you structure your week/your day. How do you combine it with your client work, non-working hours, and stuff? Would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Here was the first part of my reply. I'll come back and add more later.

Yes, don't reply too soon and end up getting dragged into a tit-for-tat message conversation. Slow it down and make it more like an email conversation.

I created this thread a while back:
It's NOT that neat! Haha. And that was before the Coronavirus and the kids ended up staying home.

Yes, I have high output, because I document as I go along.

AN EXAMPLE FROM THIS MORNING:

1) I checked one of my projects this morning, had a think about it, took some action, then wrote it up for my team in Basecamp:

2) I then posted it to one of my progress threads:

3) I then immediately posted to my paid email newsletter which is like a curated version of all the content I drop in the forum and elsewhere:

I'm literally going to create a new thread in the forum out of this reply.

See what I do?
But isnt this like multitasking?
I`m guilty of multitasking which tends to slow me down.

Andy Black

Dad, Husband, Inbound Marketeer
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
But isnt this like multitasking?
I`m guilty of multitasking which tends to slow me down.
I don't think it's multi-tasking. I'm doing the work anyway. I'm just *also* grabbing screenshots as I go along and writing a project update so my team can follow and learn. I then post that update into the forum and to my paid email newsletter.

I used to do this when I was in IT. I'd write scripts to perform tasks rather than just running the commands one after the other. Other guys might get the task done quicker the first time, but not always actually. But by the time I'd completed the task I'd have another deliverable - a script to do the task quicker the next time.

It was a running joke in the IT team that if anyone wanted to do something they'd check Andy because I'd more often than not say "I've got a script for that".

I do the same in the forum. If I answer someone somewhere and think it will come up again then I create a thread about it. I then link to that thread in future so I don't repeat myself.

I'm not just documenting as I go along. I'm creating repeatable processes that other people can follow, so I don't have to do them myself again.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Price is going up to $3,000 on Jan 1st. We went through the cost of running it over the last...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom