The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Growing an email list with Google Ads

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

PapaGang

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I think you're navigating through a landscape formed by companies to ward against looters and schemers (and to show due diligence in reducing fraud). It's tricky.
This is getting interesting.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Figuring it out as I go along!
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think you're navigating through a landscape formed by companies to ward against looters and schemers (and to show due diligence in reducing fraud). It's tricky.
This is getting interesting.
Yeah, and I’m in an industry full of looters and schemers so will have to be squeaky clean.

“Interesting” is a politer word than the one I had in mind...

Chris McCarron

Contributor
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
Yeah, and I’m in an industry full of looters and schemers so will have to be squeaky clean.

“Interesting” is a politer word than the one I had in mind...
Amazing results from your ads. People gloss over how important traffic is for conversions.

I’m looking forward to reading about how many sales you get.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Amazing results from your ads. People gloss over how important traffic is for conversions.

I’m looking forward to reading about how many sales you get.
Thanks for following and your support.

Thanks also for the little hint that I need to make an offer earlier!

On the subject of traffic and conversions: I prefer to call them visitors, and it’s the visitors that convert, not the landing page. That’s one of my main tips for media buyers, and business owners in general.

Bekit

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
And now my Mailchimp account is under review and I can't send emails. I presume because I mentioned "credit card" in the email?
Thoughts on this from my experience working at constant contact:

I don't think it would have been because of mentioning "credit card."

I think what tripped their spam/fraud filters is more likely the fact that you have email addresses from worldwide IPs, with continual signups happening from third world countries.

This may be flagged as suspicious because they don't know if they're fake. They don't know that you're running Google ads to build the list. They don't know that your intentions are to provide value to your subscribers. They don't know that because you are Andy, no other scenario is even in the cards than you providing value. This may look to them like the kind of thing someone would do to build a list of addresses that they plan to sell. Or it may look like a list that's being built through scraping the web.

An alternative hypothesis is that a few of your subscribers marked your email as spam. Hopefully this didn't happen, and in most cases, someone who JUST signed up for a mailing list is not going to flag the messages that they know they signed up for as spam. But it may be unpredictable what people's behavior is in the developing world. And the threshold of the number of spam complains that will get you blacklisted is very low (like 3-5 people per thousand, if I remember right). In other words, if you send to a mailing list of 1000 addresses, and 3-5 of those addresses mark your message as spam in Gmail or Hotmail or whatever they are using, you can get blacklisted. It's a very big risk for the providers of email marketing services, because if their servers get blacklisted, it's a very expensive problem that affects all their customers on that server, not just you.

This is an issue that's not just confined to MailChimp. Any email marketing provider is going to have a similar set of safeguards in place.

I also think I’ll keep my email content super short in future and sell people on clicking a link to a YouTube video or to an article on a website I own. I figure that the less I write in the email the less I can get flagged for.
Maybe I’ll stay safe by writing less?
Actually, if an email contains fewer than 50 words, it is far MORE likely to register as spam versus an email that provides more substantive content.

I'm already annoyed with ConvertKit and it's form and landing page templates. I just want it simple!
Oh my goodness, I AGREE!! I just signed up for their freemium product and I find it so frustrating!!! I thought it was just me!

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks @Bekit. I forgot you worked in Constant Contact for a few years.

Actually, if an email contains fewer than 50 words, it is far MORE likely to register as spam versus an email that provides more substantive content.
Ah. Nice tip. I’ll bear that in mind.

I think what tripped their spam/fraud filters is more likely the fact that you have email addresses from worldwide IPs, with continual signups happening from third world countries.
Again, thanks for the insight. I’ll either focus on the countries where I was getting plenty of cheap signups, or go direct to Tier 1 countries.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) I'm setting up hello@domain.com email addresses for the three brands I'm going to build/test. I'm just using Namecheap's email addresses and they're $11.88/year for each.

2) I see I need to setup a simple website to get compliant with email marketing systems, and it will help with Google Ads too.

I've started creating a template Basecamp project. Here's the To-Do Lists. I'll flesh it out and add to-do items to them.

This is for selling courses.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Andi, i love what you do! Things look so easy, when you do it!

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andi, i love what you do! Things look so easy, when you do it!
Ha. Thanks.

You realise I’m figuring this out as I go along?

And that I’ve earned a big fat zero from my efforts to date with this?

I want to get that first sale sooner rather than later.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Ha. Thanks.

You realise I’m figuring this out as I go along?

And that I’ve earned a big fat zero from my efforts to date with this?

I want to get that first sale sooner rather than later.
I know that feeling all to well, working a couple of months for nothing and all of a sudden $3 hits your bank account and your a genius.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
@Andy Black,

Following this!

I learned about self-liquidating offers a while ago. And, unfortunately, it's a topic that you don't find much actionable information on Google.

I'm curious about your experience with them - mainly being:

How do you troubleshoot them? (No one ever talks about this).

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Ing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
@Andy Black
what program for collecting do you use (still chimpmail? fixed the problem) and how exactly does that work?
(beginner/beginner level)

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black
what program for collecting do you use (still chimpmail? fixed the problem) and how exactly does that work?
(beginner/beginner level)
Mailchimp never got back to me about that account that it put under review. I’m about to start up another test with another domain and email address. I’m undecided what to use for the email marketing part.

These platforms are pretty simple to get started with. Mailchimp is by far the most popular, probably because of its free plan. But I presume having a free plan means they have to be very careful how their platform is being used, and they need automated systems to shut things down it suspects are on the shady side.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I ve just seen, that my provider offers the program Majordomo for email lists. It seems not to be too easy, but I think I ll invest some time. Does anyone know that?

edith : wiki shows it to be just a bit outdated!???

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Advanced Upwork Proposals II IS FINALLY LIVE! Here's a look at what's inside: Improved YOU...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock