The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you think Youtube breaks The Commandment of Entry?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

gavindoughtie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 10, 2021
From what I've seen, YouTube's *quality* barrier is still quite high, but the days of throwing junk on the platform and succeeding are probably over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Do you think Youtube breaks The Commandment of Entry?

Of course it does. That said, it doesn't mean it should be ignored, or you can't make a fortune from it. You can violate control for years and not have it bite you in the a$$. It only becomes a problem when it does.

gavindoughtie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 10, 2021
Of course it does. That said, it doesn't mean it should be ignored, or you can't make a fortune from it. You can violate for control for years and not have it bite you in the a$$. It only becomes a problem when it does.
I certainly wouldn't want to rely on YouTube revenue for my living, because you're absolutely right that anyone with a pulse and a smartphone can dump video up there AND it's a platform owned by an entity that can roll over and kill you in its sleep. To expand on my initial comment, it seems to me that the barrier to making something high quality that folks actually want to engage with is high "enough" and will get higher over time. One of my favorite "casual viewing" channels has shot its more recent episodes on a commercial soundstage with a pro 6K RED camera. Or more of a hot take: You can shoot a 2-hour movie on your phone and put it on YouTube but it's not going to pull "Avengers: EndGame" money.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It violates control, entry, and for most people, time as well. You’re running on need and scale here if YouTube is THE business.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I would say it does, but it doesn't mean you can still try. A famous YouTuber named James Jani broke the algorithm and was able to create a channel with almost a 1million subs.

He was the exact reason why and how I found MJ DeMarco and his books.

Of course, now, I don't know what he's doing now these days. I supported his Patreon a few months back. I think he's taking a break.

If you are able to create a community around certain topics that can bring relevant value, then I think it's possible.

But also it kind of lacks control if you think about it because if you run your business entirely on YouTube and if you do something against the TOS. Well... You can almost kiss your account goodbye and get banned.

gavindoughtie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 10, 2021
It violates control, entry, and for most people, time as well. You’re running on need and scale here if YouTube is THE business.
That's it exactly. Whatever it is, "THE" business might realize a lot of benefit from selling products on Amazon, publishing articles on Medium and LinkedIn, or posting videos on YouTube, but should be able to thrive without any of them. If video content is going to be your thing (it's one of the things I'm looking at), you'll certainly interact with YouTube but you'll want to be Disney+, Curiosity Stream, MasterClass or any of these other brands that control their own audience and content.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I would say it does, but it doesn't mean you can still try. A famous YouTuber named James Jani broke the algorithm and was able to create a channel with almost a 1million subs.

He was the exact reason why and how I found MJ DeMarco and his books.

Of course, now, I don't know what he's doing now these days. I supported his Patreon a few months back. I think he's taking a break.

If you are able to create a community around certain topics that can bring relevant value, then I think it's possible.

But also it kind of lacks control if you think about it because if you run your business entirely on YouTube and if you do something against the TOS. Well... You can almost kiss your account goodbye and get banned.
He was actually here on the forum as @Valier
If people want to see his journey :)

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
if being a youtuber is the job itself then you are basically like a professional athlete. 99% of them are not successful, they have no control and at any time can be shut down by the place that they are making their money from, 1% of them bring in 99% of the earnings and everyone else is fighting for scraps.

Youtube should be a piece of your marketing funnel. Always be siphoning away customers into something you control. Props to MJ for having a forum and being active on it. He controls it.

However, he would really blow up if he made some tik toks lol

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Youtube should be a piece of your marketing funnel. Always be siphoning away customers into something you control. Props to MJ for having a forum and being active on it. He controls it.
Haha the idea of MJ making TikToks

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Haha the idea of MJ making TikToks

I used to be a hip hop dancer 30 years ago. That kind of stuff flies there eh? I might be able to get some moves out of the archives. :playful:

Shehzan lahori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2021
That's it exactly. Whatever it is, "THE" business might realize a lot of benefit from selling products on Amazon, publishing articles on Medium and LinkedIn, or posting videos on YouTube, but should be able to thrive without any of them. If video content is going to be your thing (it's one of the things I'm looking at), you'll certainly interact with YouTube but you'll want to be Disney+, Curiosity Stream, MasterClass or any of these other brands that control their own audience and content.
Are you saying about building community on YouTube and gaining benefits of that community on other platforms?

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
I used to be a hip hop dancer 30 years ago. That kind of stuff flies there eh? I might be able to get some moves out of the archives.

There are some pretty big businesses there for people who understand how to use tiktok to their advantage.

gavindoughtie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 10, 2021
Are you saying about building community on YouTube and gaining benefits of that community on other platforms?
Depending on your business, it seems like a highly engaging platform for building an audience and a community over time. Just know that you're unlikely to have the revenue from a YouTube channel providing a significant amount of cash flow, and that your game is to leverage the massive YouTube reach into a core audience that will follow you to a platform that you DO control (your own website, email list, physical locations, etc.)

Sorry, I'm guru-ing without credentials. That's just my thinking. Would love to hear from folks with actual YouTube experience.

Shehzan lahori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2021
Depending on your business, it seems like a highly engaging platform for building an audience and a community over time. Just know that you're unlikely to have the revenue from a YouTube channel providing a significant amount of cash flow, and that your game is to leverage the massive YouTube reach into a core audience that will follow you to a platform that you DO control (your own website, email list, physical locations, etc.)

Sorry, I'm guru-ing without credentials. That's just my thinking. Would love to hear from folks with actual YouTube experience.
No you are not guru-ing, I think you are saying correct
Thanks for your opinion

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What is your opinion on YouTube as a company
I feel YouTube is just going from strength to strength.

More people can watch YouTube videos on their phones.

More people can watch YouTube videos on their TV.

Smart TVs now have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, and YouTube apps preinstalled. It’s what consumers want. It means more people getting used to watching YouTube videos on their TV.

I think it will be hard for a free video hosting/sharing platform to compete with YouTube.

I do think there’s a shift towards creators owning their audience though. Patreon, Substack, Twitter with Revue, etc. Taking people off YouTube is smart for us business owners. Can YouTube come up with ways to satisfy our desire for control?

What’s the paid equivalent for us to host videos where we own our audience?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.