The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you take your work home with you? (Slowlane Jobs)

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
Hi guys,

I was wondering how jobs that usually require you to perform additional work at home, effect you working on your own business.

My job is in real estate, and usually requires me working on additional tasks at home (analysis, rent/sales comparables, using the MLS etc.)

What was your experience transitioning from a job like this, to one where you simply leave your work at the office and focus on your own business afterwards?

I completely support the idea of working on your own business after your day job, but when the day job doesn't come to a clear end, it can all be a bit hazy.

If given both options, which side would you recommend?

Looking forward to the feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KPL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 9, 2018
New Zealand
I will be watching this thread closely because I am in a similar position and suspect i'm going to need to draw a hard line in the sand moving forward.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I will be watching this thread closely because I am in a similar position and suspect i'm going to need to draw a hard line in the sand moving forward.
I’m in this position. It’s hazy. You need to find a way to split your time and focus until you can drop the day job and focus full time on the business. It takes discipline, it’s that simple.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
If you want to work at your real estate job until retirement, then do the real estate work. If you want to be an entrepreneur, do the work to become one.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Figure out how to get more done at work. Awesome book I've been reading that may help you get all your stuff done much quicker is Deep Work by Cal Newport. It's one of the recommended books on this forum:

Books Fastlaners Recommend

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
Figure out how to get more done at work. Awesome book I've been reading that may help you get all your stuff done much quicker is Deep Work by Cal Newport. It's one of the recommended books on this forum:

Books Fastlaners Recommend
I've heard great things about that book! Will definitely give it a read. What are some take-aways that you have applied in your own life?

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
I’m in this position. It’s hazy. You need to find a way to split your time and focus until you can drop the day job and focus full time on the business. It takes discipline, it’s that simple.
If given the choice of either job, would you say that going to a job where you don't bring the work home with you is better suited? Or does it simply come down to discipline in both?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If given the choice of either job, would you say that going to a job where you don't bring the work home with you is better suited? Or does it simply come down to discipline in both?

IMHO it comes down to discipline in both - just a slightly different flavor.

Having a job where you are flexible/take the work home with you usually allows you to flex in the day and work on other things. For example, I often take 3-4 hours in the middle of the day from work, and drive up to hold client meetings for my own business.

Having a job where you put your phone in a black box at the beginning of the day, then bust your a$$ until 5 means you won't have work distractions once you go home. But you will likely be very tired, and will have to find a business that you can work around that schedule.

In both cases, you have to find a fit, and the discipline to stick with it.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I've heard great things about that book! Will definitely give it a read. What are some take-aways that you have applied in your own life?

Stop wasting time on distractions. Give your most critical tasks your full undisputed attention, much easier said then done.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I can't speak for jobs like real estate/property agents/insurance agents because they're not the typical 9-5 white-collar jobs.

For my case (deskbound 9- 6 job), I make it a point to always finish the work at the office and never bring any home. If there's a lot, I'll just stay back late and finish it. Because once I'm at home, it's all my precious hustle time, not gonna waste any of it on doing even more work for others.

My personal motto is : get a day job just to get by and enough to support the part-time hustle, and don't put in all my energy/effort into the day job. In fact, I give only as much as is required of me minimally and no more. Sometimes less.

In many cases, overspending too much effort or time in the day job will actually slow down your hustle and TIME is everything.

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
I can't speak for jobs like real estate/property agents/insurance agents because they're not the typical 9-5 white-collar jobs.

For my case (deskbound 9- 6 job), I make it a point to always finish the work at the office and never bring any home. If there's a lot, I'll just stay back late and finish it. Because once I'm at home, it's all my precious hustle time, not gonna waste any of it on doing even more work for others.

My personal motto is : get a day job just to get by and enough to support the part-time hustle, and don't put in all my energy/effort into the day job. In fact, I give only as much as is required of me minimally and no more. Sometimes less.

In many cases, overspending too much effort or time in the day job will actually slow down your hustle and TIME is everything.
That's a good perspective. And it makes sense. Supports what MJ mentions in TMF . If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you work in ?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
That's a good perspective. And it makes sense. Supports what MJ mentions in TMF . If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you work in ?

Creative industry. I don't mind getting paid less as long as I can leave the office on time daily. Most others in this industry here tend to work till night for low pay, repeat that daily and when they're in their 30-40s, find themselves in deep shit.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Yes..but I'm happy to do so. I took on a "day job" i.e 24/7 gig that let me create my own brand with resources and distribution to scale it up beyond what I previously could do on my own. A break from being an owner so that I can create an 8 figure entity inside of a 9 figure one. A nice lesson / experience at going big/ I'll be aiming much higher next time I start my own business.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I work from home as a web developer, so I sometimes work on my business during work hours lol rather than the other way around.

However sometimes I have a lot of work and I’m tempted to work overtime. A few weeks ago I did this (can’t afford to be fired just yet) and I felt terrible, never again. I’m lucky to have a boss that actually tells us to never do overtime. If any of you detest the day job but can’t quit yet, then I suggest finding a remote job. Work life balance is respected much more and a lot of people that work remote are using it as the bridge from a typical day job to entrepreneurship. Many of my colleagues have left to pursue their business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.