The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you feel like giving up? Read this...

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
I want to be working on something right now, on something that I like. But no matter hard or how much I try I can't seem to figure it out. I started this online business a couple months ago, but it never went anywhere. I've tried things dropshipping and created an online store for t-shirts a couple years ago but quickly gave up.I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired and frustrated.

All I'm trying to do right now is work on a cool project where I can work on my skills and make progress. But I don't know what. I don't know what I like or what I'm passionate about. I've read dozens of success and business books but to no avail. I'm tired of thinking. I'm tired of reading. I just want to get to work, but I just can't figure out what to work on. My mind goes blank. Every idea that I think of, I either don't like, don't have the means to do it, or the idea is garbage. I don't know what to do.

Has anyone ever been in my shoes? How did you figure things out?

Edit: Spelling.

Are you a rapper? That is one of the coolest profile names on the net!

That is what it is all about! The Process.

I am in a FB group where a total newbie posted she made $4000 from a Free offer and now its up to $8,000 with proof of each free sign up/upgrade.

COVID era is actually a opportunity like no other for many people.

You have to use your Entre Eyes and see the opportunity...people are asking for help, needing help its a gold rush if you perceive it that way.

Last edited:

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Are you a rapper? That is one of the coolest profile names on the net!

That is what it is all about! The Process.

I am in a FB group where a total newbie posted she made $4000 from a Free offer and now its up to $8,000 with proof of each free sign up/upgrade.

COVID era is actually a opportunity like no other for many people.

You have to use your Entre Eyes and see the opportunity...people are asking for help, needing help its a gold rush if you perceive it that way.
I'm not a rapper haha. How did this person make money?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
So, what have you done lately?
Spent the last few days reading almost all the Gold and Notable threads. Narrowed down my choice to two things I want to do. I'm almost ready to commit my time to one of the two.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
I've been struggling to think of ideas since I finished reading Unscripted and Fastlane last week. I spend hours every day on my laptop trying to come up with ideas.

Everything I think up, I consider "does this provide value?" do a bit of research around the topic and come back with "no."

I posted a thread before that I had an app idea but I've decided to abandon it for moral reasons. Essentially my idea was to make an app to track celebrities. Integrate the google maps API into the app and users would post pins where they've sighted "X" celebrity and only the most recent one would get pinned to the map. I decided that celebrities are likely already bothered enough while out in public and I didn't want to contribute more to that. I thought it would have been a good money maker idea, and it would provide value to those obsessed with celebrities, but the outcome for those celebrities would likely be negative.

Every idea even if it's small I come back with "this doesn't provide value" and I'm back at the beginning. I'm starting to get disheartened because I have no specific industry or anything I would like to target. I just randomly think of things but never anything that solves an actual problem or provides value.

A business HAS TO solve a problem or provide better value than something else if it is going to make a difference, so it's very important to have that.

I'm in my mid 30s with a lot of life experience in several fields and still struggling to come up with ideas. It's hard to imagine how people do it. Maybe I am just in the wrong mindset. I don't know.

I am rambling now. I'm not sure I have advice for you other than not starting a youtube channel unless you really think your content really provides value to people, otherwise it will remain in obscurity as the platform is massive.

And what’s stopping you from verifying idea with quick MVP?

Rarely idea is great from the start, but it becomes one through “act-access-adjust” process.

Here’s a good article:

I am sure you will get more help if you create a separate thread.

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
And what’s stopping you from verifying idea with quick MVP?

Rarely idea is great from the start, but it becomes one through “act-access-adjust” process.

Here’s a good article:

I am sure you will get more help if you create a separate thread.

Thank you for the reply. I have been reading the Lean Startup book which covers this MVP concept. Most of my ideas have been software related. I am not a software developer, nor do I have the money to pay someone to develop a software MVP. That leaves me two options - think of non-software products or services that I can prototype up myself with stuff from the hardware store or wherever, or learn software development (or both :D). I have been trying to learn more about ways I can fake this, like the example of that Buffer idea. Create a landing page for my software idea to see if there is any interest without having to actually make it yet.

Or for a physical product idea - create an amazon listing for my product and a single page website about the product which shows the product out of a stock with a button to request an email when it's back in stock. Something like that. I don't know yet.

These are all things I am still considering. I have a lot to learn and have been mostly undecided about which direction I would like to focus.

Anyway, it was not my intention to hijack this thread. Sorry OP!!!! I wish you the best of luck with your struggles. I feel like we all struggle with these types of things.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
@TheProcess What have you done today? More action faking?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
..........and created an online store for t-shirts a couple years ago but quickly gave up...........

I am interested:
How did you start the t-shirt business and when/why did you give up?
What designs did you make? Made it yourself?
I ask that , because I want to make some t-shirts myself and I dont have a glue, how to do that!
Can I paint something on a paper , make a photo and than print on a shirt?

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

consignia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jul 19, 2019
I wouldn't get into drop shipping. For getting into it right now you need to either have some edge over your competition or or come with something revolutinary. Otherwise it's not worth it in my opinion, too much work for little gains

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 15, 2020
UK
I want to be working on something right now, on something that I like. But no matter hard or how much I try I can't seem to figure it out. I started this online business a couple months ago, but it never went anywhere. I've tried things dropshipping and created an online store for t-shirts a couple years ago but quickly gave up.I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired and frustrated.

All I'm trying to do right now is work on a cool project where I can work on my skills and make progress. But I don't know what. I don't know what I like or what I'm passionate about. I've read dozens of success and business books but to no avail. I'm tired of thinking. I'm tired of reading. I just want to get to work, but I just can't figure out what to work on. My mind goes blank. Every idea that I think of, I either don't like, don't have the means to do it, or the idea is garbage. I don't know what to do.

Ive felt like you so so many times.
I think it creates a process in our brain.
A process whereby we know we aren't heading in the right direction and just need to switch things up.
I think if you see it as action to change and research rather than action to fail, you can take some time to rethink your ideas and explore further into what you think you can be good at.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Most of the best advice and care for being Motivated and get things done has been given in this thread by all the legendary posters. The words in this thread are gems, dropped from sky, 1 by 1.

How @Bekit deconstructed his mindset and showed a path to start.
How @Andy Black shared thread links to get out of that limited mindset.
How @ZCP (thank you) gave him the only thought process he needs to achieve his desire life.
How @sparechange pointed action faking. Utilized his anger to motive him. The way he kicked his a** so that he starts taking actions. The 'CARE' sparechange showed made me remember our 'Eric Cheescakes" buddy. How ZCP gave the similar 'CARE' to him.

How @everyone else has told him that nothing is stopping you than yourself. How failure is a part of the process. how you need to grit and dedication & how to achieve these.

In this thread, each and every post is filled with what newcomers with the limited mindset needed to start something on their Entrepreneur journey.

@TheProcess so buddy, show us what have you done? If you haven't, what will you do? don't let the advice go to waste for you. I am sure others will feel blessed after reading this read(i am). What will you take from all this and take action?

Let us know what have you done?

I was the one that referred Eric's Cheesecakes to this forum years ago, before I was even active. I have to catch up with him on Facebook.

We were internet buddies with a 30 year difference and shared passion for bodyweight exercises.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I was the one that referred Eric's Cheesecakes to this forum years ago, before I was even active. I have to catch up with him on Facebook.

We were internet buddies with a 30 year difference and shared passion for bodyweight exercises.
Its been some months i contacted him also. Time to ask how his cheesecakes are.

Mariana P

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 16, 2020
New Zealand

Sometimes we need a quiet space with ourselves to figure out what we really want to do. We're all usually good at something or have an inclination to something, but it's sometimes hard to figure it out in all the external noise that goes on around us.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Awesome report! Congrats on starting the YouTube channels and building the daily habit of filming yourself for the more informal channel. Also, congrats on working on one habit at a time! That's a great idea, and I'm very happy to hear that you've been getting some wins with a consistent wake up time. Keep up the great work!

I recently ran across the following video that helped me through a recent slump. I love the concept of "Motivation bridge" that's depicted here. It may be helpful to others.

View: https://youtu.be/OM0Xv0eVGtY
Thanks man!

Super cool video, the visualization of a motivation bridge was very interesting.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Awesome report! Congrats on starting the YouTube channels and building the daily habit of filming yourself for the more informal channel. Also, congrats on working on one habit at a time! That's a great idea, and I'm very happy to hear that you've been getting some wins with a consistent wake up time. Keep up the great work!

I recently ran across the following video that helped me through a recent slump. I love the concept of "Motivation bridge" that's depicted here. It may be helpful to others.

View: https://youtu.be/OM0Xv0eVGtY
Okay so for the longest time I thought I didn't have adhd, and that my lack of action was always a result of laziness or whatever. But I did some research on it today and I might actually have it. Things are starting to click.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Okay so for the longest time I thought I didn't have adhd, and that my lack of action was always a result of laziness or whatever. But I did some research on it today and I might actually have it. Things are starting to click.

I have always accused myself of laziness, too. I've been going down the ADHD rabbit hole lately. I recently came across this questionnaire that you can use to rate yourself...

Attachments

• adhd-test questionnaire-ASRS111.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 11

themarkboogie

Mamba Mentality
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Man, this post was a gold mine JHZ. Felt like you were speaking directly to me with a lot of this.

It seems that right now, your focus is "I just want to start a business that makes money", whereas your focus should be "I noticed this problem/possible improvement and I want to offer a solution". When your objective is clear, the next steps you have to take become crystal clear.
I think this one of my biggest issues. I remember reading somewhere on the forum that the first year or two of entrepreneurship are the most difficult because you're overhauling your entire thought process. And a huge part of that is resisting the temptation to be selfish or rush the process because you aren't seeing consistent income, especially as an early (and likely broke) entrepreneur. Focusing on the value rather than the $$$ takes trust and belief in the process.

I get the feel like the ideas you have could actually be good, but maybe are things that are too difficult, or things you don't know how to do. But, if you remember, that IS the opportunity! Building solutions that are hard, take time, and force you to learn and grow.

Again, embracing the difficulty because THAT'S WHERE THE OPPORTUNITY IS requires trust and belief. Excellent reminder, it's amazing how easy it is to stray away from these values/beliefs. Definitely takes a conscious and consistent effort on your mindset until it becomes second nature.

beating yourself up is not helping you becoming the version of yourself that you want (if you want more info about being more compassionate with yourself, I suggest you read "Self Compassion" By Kristin Neff ) and that you need to shift your focus from money to value and problem solving.

Another of my pitfalls. Added this book to my reading list.

Much love, brother. Appreciate the words big time.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
What are your skills & what kind of thing do you think is cool?

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
How old are you?
Where have you been, what have you done?
Do you go out much, see what's happening around you?
Engaged in activities with people from different walks of life?
Sports are great for that.

Ideas come from what you experience.
Get out & about, do stuff, that's where you'll find your interests, new experiences, that's where the best ideas come from.
I'm 20. Been to some countries in europe. I live in canada. Theres the quarantine now so can't go out much.

What are some examples of such activities?

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Not really a bad start. You have tried things and got your hands dirty. You know how to run business operations in the fields you tried.

Probably you have chosen low barrier of entry business that are already overcrowded today. The not so difficult money was made in the earlier day. These games were like 19 century gold rush stories, by the time everyone was rushing to buy a shovel the only money making business was selling a shovel.

If I were you I would pick a trade or industry that is going to be difficult at the start but you can accumulate long term assets (skill, client base, experience) that acts as a barrier to entry.

I will consider

1) What country do I live in and what are the Stable or growing industries here? What are the trends in consumer behavior?
2) How big is the market?
3) What existing assets do I have? (Skill or network, like an uncle in the industry?)
4) Is it something that I can kick start with low cost so that I do not lose too much if things do not go as well as I wanted?
I am not sure if you have a full time job now. If so You could understand that industry really well.

If not you can brain storm and research..You can also seek to get a job in the industry for 1-2 years to acquire domain knowledge. It is a much easier path if you have bills to pay and it is not so easy to acquire knowledge without working for someone.

Cool project...not sure what skills you have or willing to learn. If you look at Riots in Minnesota And Hong Kong, government demand for riots control and Surveillance will go up and will continue to do so. I talked to a friend working as a policeman he says mass installation of high solution 24-7 cctv is simply financially not feasible. So Private Security or surveillance technology in my opinion are two big trends. Surveillance technology doesn’t have to be super high-tech. It could be an app for Ordinary civilian snitches to upload photos of rioters. The app just need to have basic intelligence that these four photos are pointing to a person and that two photos are point to another person for easy categorization. The GPS on mobile phone can already point to riot locations.
Thanks! What do you think of real estate? I have an uncle who is doing quite well in real estate.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
What have you done today? Did you do anything at all to help future-you?

Like learning a marketable skill that offers value to people?

If the answer is no, then maybe he's right.

You should take the advice on working out multiple times during the day, especially before getting work done. I have ADHD, workout 3 times per day and have since been picking up the phone daily to cold call and meet up with prospects and I got 2 clients for my baby web design business.

You should know that I only started working out this way about 10 days ago and just a few days later I began picking up the phone to make cold calls, the very same activity which I despised with all my heart until that point. My stomach would turn even then but after just a few days of doing it I now don't care at all, and it feels great!

In the past I've gone on NoFap and semen retention (a bit hard in a relationship unless you're a kegel overlord monk living in the Himalayas) which had a huge impact on my brain, emotions and even changed the way I view life and the world, but it didn't make me more productive.. in fact it made me more complacent with mediocrity.

Anyways, just do something dude. All businesses begin ugly, with an abundance of frustration, "bad" luck and tons of issues.
Yes I did help future me today. I've been on this forum for a couple hours digesting the gold and notable threads and trying to contact some members. I work out daily.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
I consider that action faking, you can read for the rest of your life. All you need is Unscripted or TMF .

Contacting members? Why, stop being an action faker, and do something.
The very thing I'm trying to figure out is the "what".

I have some ideas now because of reading those threads. Before I go all in on something it needs to makes sense and resonate with me.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Wow, holy heck, there's so much high value advice in this thread. @Bekit really broke it down and I hope others see this thread too! A lot people in the same situation (I remember I was too, back in 2013 and it sucked).
How did you personally get out of that situation?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.