The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you feel like giving up? Read this...

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Thanks! What do you think of real estate? I have an uncle who is doing quite well in real estate.
I am in financial sales. I have a very positive views of real estates.

It is just a business that will stay with us next 50 years.

Couples need to buy flat when they get married. People love to invest in them.

If you build a client base and serve them well for the first few years the referral will come. But it takes a few years of grind. And you are 20. Time is our your side. Go call your uncle and speak to him. :)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I think your better off with a job, not exactly a bad thing. Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Feb 8, 2019
I want to be working on something right now, on something that I like. But no matter hard or how much I try I can't seem to figure it out. I started this online business a couple months ago, but it never went anywhere. I've tried things dropshipping and created an online store for t-shirts a couple years ago but quickly gave up.I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired and frustrated.

All I'm trying to do right now is work on a cool project where I can work on my skills and make progress. But I don't know what. I don't know what I like or what I'm passionate about. I've read dozens of success and business books but to no avail. I'm tired of thinking. I'm tired of reading. I just want to get to work, but I just can't figure out what to work on. My mind goes blank. Every idea that I think of, I either don't like, don't have the means to do it, or the idea is garbage. I don't know what to do.

Has anyone ever been in my shoes? How did you figure things out?

Sounds like you overthinking too much and you get yourself dependent on other people's advices. I would recommend you for the following 3 months not to read or watch or hear any business related topics. You have to grow up and try to figure out the things for yourself. The world needs solutions and you need your free space of mind. With no external sensory overload of ideas and opinions other people have. Learn to create a healthy attitude of "I don't care and it is important for me because I'm the only one who understands why". No matter what kind of solution you will find then, you will put automatically a philosophy inside your creating and you could have an positive impact on others. This is one way on how to create green value. Maybe you could find another way, share it with others and inspire them to follow your way.

No matter in which life situation you are right now. Stop right now and learn to think for yourself. Your thoughts are not your enemy. Hear them, love them but also proof them with a healthy attitude of scepticism. This could be a way for you to be successful. To find this out you have to walk for own alone.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Spent the last few days reading almost all the Gold and Notable threads. Narrowed down my choice to two things I want to do. I'm almost ready to commit my time to one of the two.

Action faker

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Narrowed down my choice to two things I want to do. I'm almost ready to commit my time to one of the two.
What will you do to make a sale this week, or at least help someone?

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
What will you do to make a sale this week, or at least help someone?
Well I was very inspired by the YouTube thread, and it's something that I've been wanting to do for a very long time now, and I think I have the potential to be good at it. So I'm going shopping tomorrow to get a camera and tripod and the rest of the equipment that I would need to start filming. After that, my focus will be on creating my first video.

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
I've been struggling to think of ideas since I finished reading Unscripted and Fastlane last week. I spend hours every day on my laptop trying to come up with ideas.

Everything I think up, I consider "does this provide value?" do a bit of research around the topic and come back with "no."

I posted a thread before that I had an app idea but I've decided to abandon it for moral reasons. Essentially my idea was to make an app to track celebrities. Integrate the google maps API into the app and users would post pins where they've sighted "X" celebrity and only the most recent one would get pinned to the map. I decided that celebrities are likely already bothered enough while out in public and I didn't want to contribute more to that. I thought it would have been a good money maker idea, and it would provide value to those obsessed with celebrities, but the outcome for those celebrities would likely be negative.

Every idea even if it's small I come back with "this doesn't provide value" and I'm back at the beginning. I'm starting to get disheartened because I have no specific industry or anything I would like to target. I just randomly think of things but never anything that solves an actual problem or provides value.

A business HAS TO solve a problem or provide better value than something else if it is going to make a difference, so it's very important to have that.

I'm in my mid 30s with a lot of life experience in several fields and still struggling to come up with ideas. It's hard to imagine how people do it. Maybe I am just in the wrong mindset. I don't know.

I am rambling now. I'm not sure I have advice for you other than not starting a youtube channel unless you really think your content really provides value to people, otherwise it will remain in obscurity as the platform is massive.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Just watched it. While I usually agree with your great advice, I will have to disagree here. The goal of my channel will be to provide high quality content. Uploading my first video might take up to a week. I have to think about many things such as what "theme" I want my channel to follow and be about.

And yes, I won't be going down the rabbit-hole of buying equipment, I'll probably just start off with a camera, mic and tripod.
If you know something really deep enough, it probably will do well.

It is a hyper-competitive market these days and you will realize a pattern.

The person who has success in sharing food was a former chef.

The person who has success in weight management theme is still actively participating in competition.

The person who has success in sharing science topic...and science fiction/conspiracy- not really a scientist but was a former programmer who is a science topic hobbyist.

The person who has success in sharing entrepreneurship topics were business people who are still active.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I’m curious what your motives are @sparechange.

Hopefully spurring him on with insults, if he doesn't take offense to it, I will keep calling him an action faker until he either gets offended and does something to prove me wrong.

Otherwise I unfortunately get to say '' I told you so '' Anger is one of the greatest motivaters in the world.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
If you know something really deep enough, it probably will do well.

It is a hyper-competitive market these days and you will realize a pattern.

The person who has success in sharing food was a former chef.

The person who has success in weight management theme is still actively participating in competition.

The person who has success in sharing science topic...and science fiction/conspiracy- not really a scientist but was a former programmer who is a science topic hobbyist.

The person who has success in sharing entrepreneurship topics were business people who are still active.

@TheProcess ..... now narrow that down to a couple of sentences...

what is your 'why'? .... tune it in to one or two sentences..... be very precise

what is your perfect day? what are you doing? what time is it? who is with you? what do you smell? if you turn to the left, what do you see? what time is lunch? what will you eat? ...... be VERY specific. take your time.......

what does that cost? one time cost to get there, monthly cost to maintain it?

what do you need to make that happen? specifically?

------
once the above is done:
what three things can you complete this week to make that happen?

I'm convinced besides MJ you are the best poster on this forum.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@sparechange challenge: .... find two or three? .....maybe they are solid, maybe they changed your life. .... put them for others to find or me to send a link like @Andy Black does sometimes. :)

(damn @ZCP always handing out things to do..... :/ )

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa
A couple of ideas right here:
  • Start a youtube channel that helps people learn different parts of the sport - maybe some part that you're very good at like the technical aspects of a baseball swing. (you can sell a course/ebook)
  • Start a podcast where you interview coaches for teenage sporting teams and help other coaches learn how to deal with the big problems they face (you can sell a course/ebook)
Once you get that first subscriber, comment, sale or bit of feedback from the market - you know you're onto the right path (or if you need to change your strategy a bit). These feedback loops are really important for figuring out how your business adds value. If you just try to create a business idea and execute from scratch without any feedback from the market, it's going to be very very very hard to succeed.
Make something basic, get it out there, and see what people say. Keep tweaking it until you create something that really helps people and they'll line up to give up their cash.

Great idea and advice

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I want to be working on something right now, on something that I like. But no matter hard or how much I try I can't seem to figure it out. I started this online business a couple months ago, but it never went anywhere. I've tried things dropshipping and created an online store for t-shirts a couple years ago but quickly gave up.I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired and frustrated.

All I'm trying to do right now is work on a cool project where I can work on my skills and make progress. But I don't know what. I don't know what I like or what I'm passionate about. I've read dozens of success and business books but to no avail. I'm tired of thinking. I'm tired of reading. I just want to get to work, but I just can't figure out what to work on. My mind goes blank. Every idea that I think of, I either don't like, don't have the means to do it, or the idea is garbage. I don't know what to do.

Edit: Spelling.
You want to know the beauty in your message?

Its that you know what you dont know what you want.

Knowing what you dont want is the key to knowing what you do want.

Ie. I dont want to be broke and homeless? BANG! reverse it. You just discovered you want to be rich and have a safe place to rest each night.

Dig deep. The answer is always inside you. You dont find what you want. You discover it. There is a difference.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Alexesther

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 21, 2020
Paris, France

Edit: Spelling.
You did not have your F*ck that moment, it will come ..

M11105

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Oct 2, 2013
USA
I took a quick look through your threads just now.

Your intro:

You felt lost and wanted to quit college.

Fortunately, you decided not to quit.

You tried Lex's Upwork tutorial, but gave up the same day.

You started a progress thread and got some really good advice.

You had a minimum wage job as a dishwasher and landed a better-paying job that allowed you to work from home on a company laptop. This sounds like a dream to give you the flexibility to pursue entrepreneurship.

The job apparently brought you good things.

You don't have a clear goal and don't really know how to set one.

Your schedule is not very disciplined.

You do have high expectations for yourself.

You realize that you need discipline and work ethic.

You've actually had a bunch of really good contacts with potential mentors.

You experience a fair amount of anger at times. This reduces your ability to produce.

You've asked for a fair amount of advice.

You started a business! Yay!

That was April 22, 2020.

By April 28, you and your cofounder had already decided to part ways.

On May 4, you were still excited about the business and asking about how to build your social media presence.

By May 6, you were losing interest. You're not even really sure why or what to do about it.

And on May 12, you shared your observation that you work better with others.

Here's what stands out to me the most from all this. This is the common thread I see running through your posts.

I think you struggle with self-motivation. And that defeats your progress, which leads to self-hatred and beating yourself up.

(I say this out of kindness, not out of accusation or "piling on" to the self-beating you're already giving yourself. I am very similar. I know how it feels. I know how frustrating it can be to just not be able to MAKE YOURSELF DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST.)

So - here are some practical thoughts that I think can help you get out of the negative feedback loop you're currently stuck in, and change it for a positive one.

1. You will likely continue to experience failure and frustration until you man up and develop self-discipline. It is urgent that you do this now. Otherwise, you could end up twice your age, still leaning on other people to crack the whip over you to get you to produce. 40-year-old you WILL NOT FIND THIS FUN. I would recommend a dopamine fast to kick off the process. Hike the Appalachian Trail or something. Get yourself outdoors and away from devices and TV, at least for a few days. Detox your brain from the dopamine drip you've been feeding it. Dig up the soil and plant a garden. Whatever. Interact with the physical world, not the digital one, for a few days.
  2. Design a setup where you can START winning and KEEP winning. Find the smallest possible WIN that contributes to your goals. In your old execution thread, your "WIN" that you were working for was "Making a sale." No. Break it down further than that. What do you need to do prior that sale, in order to lead up to a sale? Who do you need to BE in order to get that sale? Maybe you say, "OK, my win will be waking up at 6:00 AM every day for a week." No. Break it down even further, because waking up like that is not going to be a slam dunk. So you say, OK, my win will be waking up ONCE at 6:00 AM. No. Break it down even before that. Because you'll be going to bed too late to get up at 6:00 AM. So you say, "OK, my win will be to go to bed by 9:00." But then, you're not going to be tired at 9:00, so you're going to be tempted to stay on your computer. So you back up to the REAL step. "OK, my win will be that every time I catch myself wasting time on a distraction, IN THAT SAME MOMENT, I'm going to STOP and do something productive." (Define what it is so it's concrete. Also define a reward, and deliver that reward to yourself consistently. Even if it's just a silly reward like one chocolate chip.). NOW you're on track. This is defining your wins in a direction that will serve you.
  3. Verbal thrashings will not make you more productive or more motivated. What you're trying to do is alternatively hype yourself up into action (works for a while and then fails) and then scold yourself for not acting up to your standards (works for a while and then fails). This is not the solution.
  4. There may be a biological component to what you're experiencing. The way you describe yourself sounds similar to ADHD. Read about the executive function in the brain. Your executive function is the part of you that says, "OK, I'm going to do this now." You maybe be struggling to get the executive function to turn on. If this is the case, there are two easy ways to self-medicate. Try experimenting with yourself with these two things to see if it helps. One is caffeine. Try drinking coffee shortly before doing a task you struggle with. See if this improves your ability to DO what you've DECIDED to do. The second one is vigorous exercise (whatever level of physical exertion that will leave you breathless and sweating). Try exercise immediately before you sit down to do something that requires focus.
  5. There may be a psychological component to what you're experiencing. I suspect depression. There is so much help to be found in therapy, and the outcome can be removing that mysterious inner "boredom" that causes you to reject idea after idea.
  6. There may also be an inner resistance to the idea of what "working" and "adulthood" means. I have had to deal with this. Everything on the inside of me would be screaming, "NO! I don't consent to this. I want to be GREAT! I want to do things that are COOL! I want to be amazing! I reject drudgery! I reject monotony. I'm not ok with the next few decades of my life being dedicated to toiling and slaving away." It can be very difficult to come to terms with this, square your shoulders, look work in the face, and say, "OK. This is my existence until I make it. Deal." Work is not fun or pretty or sexy. It's the RESULTS of work that we like. As children, we enjoyed the results of our PARENTS' work without having to put in the work. As adults, we don't get to skip ahead to the results. It's a rude awakening.
[edit: This posted prematurely while I was still fleshing out my thoughts on #2]

Thank you for this! Amazing value!!

Also it's really savvy of you that you pinpointed a neurological component on this as well (e.g. ADD). People with ADD or ADHD literally process the world differently so the executive function presents a MAJOR challenge — often times they or others say: "you just lack motivation" or "I can't ever get anything done, maybe I'm just lazy"... which is sad because with the right techniques (like some of the above)and/ or medication (Concerta or any of the ritalin cousins) and/or exercise (to pump more oxygen to the brain), folks with ADHD/ADD can and do make excellent entrepreneurs!
That's because of the flipside of the same coin (since stimuli is filtering much faster to their brains) there a lot of creativity ready to be unlocked.

Aside from this point, I loved in general how you brought up the value of agency — e.g. taking responsibility for your own destiny. Thanks again for spending the time to do this post.

PraiseDominic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 28, 2020

Your intro:

You had a minimum wage job as a dishwasher and landed a better-paying job that allowed you to work from home on a company laptop. This sounds like a dream to give you the flexibility to pursue entrepreneurship.

You experience a fair amount of anger at times. This reduces your ability to produce.

That was April 22, 2020.

On May 4, you were still excited about the business and asking about how to build your social media presence.

By May 6, you were losing interest. You're not even really sure why or what to do about it.

Here's what stands out to me the most from all this. This is the common thread I see running through your posts.

I think you struggle with self-motivation. And that defeats your progress, which leads to self-hatred and beating yourself up.

(I say this out of kindness, not out of accusation or "piling on" to the self-beating you're already giving yourself. I am very similar. I know how it feels. I know how frustrating it can be to just not be able to MAKE YOURSELF DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST.)

So - here are some practical thoughts that I think can help you get out of the negative feedback loop you're currently stuck in, and change it for a positive one.

1. You will likely continue to experience failure and frustration until you man up and develop self-discipline. It is urgent that you do this now. Otherwise, you could end up twice your age, still leaning on other people to crack the whip over you to get you to produce. 40-year-old you WILL NOT FIND THIS FUN. I would recommend a dopamine fast to kick off the process. Hike the Appalachian Trail or something. Get yourself outdoors and away from devices and TV, at least for a few days. Detox your brain from the dopamine drip you've been feeding it. Dig up the soil and plant a garden. Whatever. Interact with the physical world, not the digital one, for a few days.
  2. Design a setup where you can START winning and KEEP winning. Find the smallest possible WIN that contributes to your goals. In your old execution thread, your "WIN" that you were working for was "Making a sale." No. Break it down further than that. What do you need to do prior that sale, in order to lead up to a sale? Who do you need to BE in order to get that sale? Maybe you say, "OK, my win will be waking up at 6:00 AM every day for a week." No. Break it down even further, because waking up like that is not going to be a slam dunk. So you say, OK, my win will be waking up ONCE at 6:00 AM. No. Break it down even before that. Because you'll be going to bed too late to get up at 6:00 AM. So you say, "OK, my win will be to go to bed by 9:00." But then, you're not going to be tired at 9:00, so you're going to be tempted to stay on your computer. So you back up to the REAL step. "OK, my win will be that every time I catch myself wasting time on a distraction, IN THAT SAME MOMENT, I'm going to STOP and do something productive." (Define what it is so it's concrete. Also define a reward, and deliver that reward to yourself consistently. Even if it's just a silly reward like one chocolate chip.). NOW you're on track. This is defining your wins in a direction that will serve you.
  3. Verbal thrashings will not make you more productive or more motivated. What you're trying to do is alternatively hype yourself up into action (works for a while and then fails) and then scold yourself for not acting up to your standards (works for a while and then fails). This is not the solution.
  4. There may be a biological component to what you're experiencing. The way you describe yourself sounds similar to ADHD. Read about the executive function in the brain. Your executive function is the part of you that says, "OK, I'm going to do this now." You maybe be struggling to get the executive function to turn on. If this is the case, there are two easy ways to self-medicate. Try experimenting with yourself with these two things to see if it helps. One is caffeine. Try drinking coffee shortly before doing a task you struggle with. See if this improves your ability to DO what you've DECIDED to do. The second one is vigorous exercise (whatever level of physical exertion that will leave you breathless and sweating). Try exercise immediately before you sit down to do something that requires focus.
  5. There may be a psychological component to what you're experiencing. I suspect depression. There is so much help to be found in therapy, and the outcome can be removing that mysterious inner "boredom" that causes you to reject idea after idea.
  6. There may also be an inner resistance to the idea of what "working" and "adulthood" means. I have had to deal with this. Everything on the inside of me would be screaming, "NO! I don't consent to this. I want to be GREAT! I want to do things that are COOL! I want to be amazing! I reject drudgery! I reject monotony. I'm not ok with the next few decades of my life being dedicated to toiling and slaving away." It can be very difficult to come to terms with this, square your shoulders, look work in the face, and say, "OK. This is my existence until I make it. Deal." Work is not fun or pretty or sexy. It's the RESULTS of work that we like. As children, we enjoyed the results of our PARENTS' work without having to put in the work. As adults, we don't get to skip ahead to the results. It's a rude awakening.
[edit: This posted prematurely while I was still fleshing out my thoughts on #2]
This is an answer to a question I didn't even have the words to ask. Thanks

cv_guimara

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2018
Brazil

Your intro:

That was April 22, 2020.

Jee @Bekit nailed it with this response. Even as a bystander on the thread i got so much out of this feedback, amazing contribution.

Lots of great feedback overall as well, GG guys.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Gee, all those words and not one mention of value. Perhaps there's a correlation there.
I'm just going through a tough time man. I can't always be giving out value. I wish I could, but no one should be hearing advice from me right now. I don't have any mentors or anything. I know I sound whiny but I just figured I'd post here and see if anyone has been in a similar situation.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
A couple of ideas right here:
  • Start a youtube channel that helps people learn different parts of the sport - maybe some part that you're very good at like the technical aspects of a baseball swing. (you can sell a course/ebook)
  • Start a podcast where you interview coaches for teenage sporting teams and help other coaches learn how to deal with the big problems they face (you can sell a course/ebook)
Once you get that first subscriber, comment, sale or bit of feedback from the market - you know you're onto the right path (or if you need to change your strategy a bit). These feedback loops are really important for figuring out how your business adds value. If you just try to create a business idea and execute from scratch without any feedback from the market, it's going to be very very very hard to succeed.
Make something basic, get it out there, and see what people say. Keep tweaking it until you create something that really helps people and they'll line up to give up their cash.
I like sports, but I don't like to talk about it. It's just something that I like to do.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
How old are you?
Where have you been, what have you done?
Do you go out much, see what's happening around you?
Engaged in activities with people from different walks of life?
Sports are great for that.

Ideas come from what you experience.
Get out & about, do stuff, that's where you'll find your interests, new experiences, that's where the best ideas come from.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
I would suggest that first of all, stop beating yourself up. You are 20, I get that you are hungry and want to jump straight into doing some cool projects, but things take time. I've been in your shoes. Everyday I was tired of being a wantpreneur, an action-faker, and it only made me more miserable, and the self loathing intensified.

It seems that your lack of clarity is originated by a lack of a clear objective. It seems that right now, your focus is "I just want to start a business that makes money", whereas your focus should be "I noticed this problem/possible improvement and I want to offer a solution". When your objective is clear, the next steps you have to take become crystal clear. MJ talks about it in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19zXV4Tptcw

If your focus is on "start a business" no wonder why you can not figure out what to do next! Thats a very broad focus (Should I drop ship, learn to code, find a supplier in China, cold call businesses?) but if your focus is say "Make a device that helps you find your lost AirPods" (happened to me the last week, spent about 3 hours turning my house upside down, super frustrating, and also a potential business idea) then what to do suddenly becomes super clear! (find out if there is already an existing solution out there, figure out what could be done better, learn how something like that could be designed and manufactured, make your own design, etc.)

Note that I said clear, not easy or convenient.

It seems that so far in your entrepreneurial journey, you have started projects that are easy and convenient, not necessarily businesses that are solving a problem or focused on a need. Which is fine! You are still learning (as am I) and sometimes those projects, although not very profitable, can help with your growth. So you can later start pursuing bigger and better things.

Again, just guessing, but I get the feel like the ideas you have could actually be good, but maybe are things that are too difficult, or things you don't know how to do. But, if you remember, that IS the opportunity! Building solutions that are hard, take time, and force you to learn and grow.

Overall, from what I've seen on the last posts, it seems that you are doing fine, you are just still learning (again, as I'm also am :) ) If you only get one thing from this message let it be that beating yourself up is not helping you becoming the version of yourself that you want (if you want more info about being more compassionate with yourself, I suggest you read "Self Compassion" By Kristin Neff ) and that you need to shift your focus from money to value and problem solving.

Perhaps you could start with a side hustle that helps/offers value to people, makes you learn new things, grow and acquire some capital that you can then use to fund other projects (note that all of this will take some time and effort!)

Keep it going man, I bet that you have already taken more action than a lot of people, you just need to shift that action into the correct things. If you ever feel down or want to talk with someone about feeling stuck just PM me. I'm not an expert by any means, but I see myself in a lot of what you said and I know how bad it can feel.

Hope that helps, have a great day
Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement. I have a question.

You said: "whereas your focus should be "I noticed this problem/possible improvement and I want to offer a solution""

I honestly have been thinking and I just can't think of anything. How can I go about finding problems?

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
You sound exactly like me when I was at that age.....

I feel all these boils down to getting no traction in whatever you do.
Put it this way; if you had earned $4k from all those dropshipping hustles you did, would you have given up or continued to scale that bigger?

What you need to do now, at 20 years of age, is to get more life experiences, work for someone, and above all, get good at a skill, be well-versed in whatever domain you work in.

If you look at the successful folks on this forum, most of them had a skill of sorts which they then used to help them make it big. MJ knew programming in his early days; that helped him get his big break. Ravens_shadow does Vfx software; he knew coding and was working in that industry if I remember correctly. Lex_deville was great at copywriting and his business was based on that.
Eliquid - digital marketing. Fox - web design.

Forget about CENTS and Unscripted and Fastlane for now. Focus on a skill first, get good and run with that. When you get good at a skill and are well-versed in your domain, you'll be able to see the problems and solutions in that industry, you'll be so familiar with the target audience of that same indsutry, and then you can create a business to fix that.
Thanks man, super helpful! I'll start looking at trying to find a skill. Not sure what it will be, but I'm searching.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
  • Keep trying things (but don't get shiny object syndrome)
  • Look for positive responses from the market or anybody that you interact with
  • Once you make some money or see that you're helping anyone at all, focus in on that.
  • You want to look for these feedback loops. @MJ DeMarco talks about them as 'echos' in his book
  • Don't give up. It's hard but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it
I really empathize with this thread and what you're going through. I think a lot of other people do here too, that's why there are so many people trying to help you. Everyone that's made it has been through the same thing. Few people knew what they were going to do from the start. Everyone has had those days of doubt. Everyone has questioned if what they were doing were worth it.
You just gotta keep going and build from where you are.
I think a good thing to do is to make sure you compare yourself today to who you were yesterday and not to who you want to be in 5-10 years. You will get paralyzed if you keep thinking you need to be a millionaire and making stacks of cash when you need to start somewhere from the ground.
I agree, thank you!

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Why do you have to go “all-in”?

Why does it need to “resonate with me”?

Say your goal is to help people, then would you let someone struggle because helping them isn’t “all-in”, or because it doesn’t “resonate with me”?

Another thread that may help, although I’m wondering if linking to these is helping:
> Clarity of Purpose

Lots of people telling you to just start.

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.

Get market feedback as soon as possible. The simplest is to help people, and have someone say thanks in return.

Do that, then figure out how to help someone and get someone to pay you as well as thank you.

Start getting referrals and repeat business and you’re onto something.
Linking these are helpful. Just read it. I guess the part about going all in does not make sense from me. I'll try to help people.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.