The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

DicksByMail.com-How a guy went from 12 orders a week to 2000 orders a day in 14 days

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Ok, so here is my other question -
What is the real story here? Maybe it isn't fastlane, but this guy did six figures in less than a month.
There are a lot of people here - myself included - that still have a job while trying to get a real business going, especially us bootstrappers.
I really like this story for 2 reasons:
  1. The guy just DID it. We have people on this forum that have great ideas and just sit on them. This guy took a crap idea - that he copied none the less - and made 6 figures in a month. I really feel like this was a calculated thing as well, so he had something like this in mind from the beginning.
  2. The guy made a (GOOD) years salary in one month. Even if he sells it on Flippa for $500 and the site does that much a month in sales from now on, the guy basically had a "viral liquidation" (did I just invent a new term?). Basically he sold his business virally to a large group of trendy customers.
It may not be fastlane. It may be stupid. But hey, the bottom line is that this guy WENT FOR IT.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York
I'm sorry, I have to exit this convo. Just can't keep a straight face talking about Bags of Dicks

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
No buyers. Crai.

Currently at $100,000, but some people are saying that the mostly-new accounts on Flipa might indicate that this dude is astroturfing his own liquidation for press, which would be insane.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I wouldn't blame the guy for not being able to execute. You don't normally launch a small one product business and think that you need to stock 5000 units from day 1. He was probably doing a test and ordered 100-500 bags. He was probably printing out the labels on a regular printer and had a stack of envelopes.

When the orders rolled in, he could have easily ramped up shipping by hiring friends, getting more printers and supplies. But his supply of product was likely his downfall. If I got 1000 orders today. I know that I could fill it by just grinding and working hard and calling in friends. But if I did not have 1000 products in stock, I would be screwed too.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Currently at $100,000, but some people are saying that the mostly-new accounts on Flipa might indicate that this dude is astroturfing his own liquidation for press, which would be insane.
Looks like the bid jumped from 20k to 100k... Same bidder. Astroturfing very likely.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
When the orders rolled in, he could have easily ramped up shipping by hiring friends, getting more printers and supplies. But his supply of product was likely his downfall. If I got 1000 orders today. I know that I could fill it by just grinding and working hard and calling in friends. But if I did not have 1000 products in stock, I would be screwed too.

I was sending out traditional letters yesterday, and was thinking about whether or not it would even be possible for me to hand address or use my printer to address 2000 envelopes in a single day, even if it was 20 hours long. At a 20 hour day, that's nearly two envelopes per minute, and that's just addressing, not packing and transporting to a pick-up point.

You'd have to hire out, but like you said, you can't make something from nothing, if there's no product to ship, having direct control over an army of workers won't make any difference.

I guess the reason why this guy is more at fault than he might be otherwise is that he completely engineered his success, and is very likely "engineering" more by boosting his liquidation attempt. It'd be one thing to be surprised and swamped by virality, but it's another to pull the trigger yourself and be unprepared.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Smart idea to "fake it" and make a reddit post about it to get traction. Only shows you to think outside the box and don't do what everyone else is doing.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Smart idea to "fake it" and make a reddit post about it to get traction. Only shows you to think outside the box and don't do what everyone else is doing.
IMHO he was doing what "everyone else" was doing. The same strategy was used for a poop company last year, and a glitter company just a few months ago.

I expect to see more of these in the future :)

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The "poop company" was a Black Friday stunt by the mfgs of Cards Against Humanity, iirc. Those guys could teach anybody here a thing or two about blowing up on social media.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The "poop company" was a Black Friday stunt by the mfgs of Cards Against Humanity, iirc. Those guys could teach anybody here a thing or two about blowing up on social media.
I wasn't referring to the CAH company.

Not sure if this was the company back in 2013, but it seems about right:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1icvbz/one_of_the_stores_i_manage_got_sent_a_bag_of/

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
IMHO he was doing what "everyone else" was doing. The same strategy was used for a poop company last year, and a glitter company just a few months ago.

I expect to see more of these in the future :)

Yeah but that is 2 companies you mention. What about the 99% who instead of creating something like this when launching, buy google ads or write guest posts? I would still say this thing is outside of what most people do.

Anyway, don't want to argue with you about this pointless thing. Yeah I think with the internet today, the fact that a lot of people is connected and online 24/7, you can get massive traction if you just do something unusual. People chasing likes and attention on the internet more than ever (at least that's what It looks like in my eyes) and they want to be the one sharing that photo or that video to get likes/attention. So much, much more likely to go viral with stuff like these today.

Kshatriya

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 13, 2014
Where am I?
We often forget, we buy things to be apart of the story. Buy this and you do, buy the competitor and well, you become apart of no story other than reinforcing some trend hopper.

Exactly. That's what I always tell people who blindly follow some brands - like McDonald's, Cafe Coffee Day etc.. There are quite a few people who even want to buy products at a certain location (genuine and identical one, but at a much higher price), there's a trend running in at least some Metropolitan cities in India, where most of the those insist on going to multiplexes over theaters.

The shitty part is, people even try hard to send their children to convents, where almost no life-skill is taught. They even love the schools with names harder to pronounce.

They love to be consumers. Let them enjoy what they love to do. They learn someday, if they are lucky.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Lawsuit waiting to happen, and one probably with merit. Borders on assault.

I would say that it is already illegal. They are sending what many would consider to be a biohazard, and I highly doubt they are using a biohazard container for it.

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
Wasn't sure if this would be spoken of here I felt like this was an idea that needed to be plugged forever ago, original? No way but fast very fast.

D

Deleted28123

I don't think it will fade as quickly as we like to think.

The proprietary thing here is being FIRST. Being the known brand, the famous one with all the news, the one that everyone's talking about.

The hook is going through the originator which carries the attachments, not dealing with any copycat that comes later. You buy the Shamwow because of Vince and his lunacy, not the knockoff because the knockoff doesn't have the story of Vince attached.

We often forget, we buy things to be apart of the story. Buy this and you do, buy the competitor and well, you become apart of no story other than reinforcing some trend hopper.
By lunacy do you mean vince and his arrest for punching a hooker?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks like the bid jumped from 20k to 100k... Same bidder. Astroturfing very likely.

Hmmm... what happened here?

BDcxLlJ.png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
shill bids?

livegrowfree

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 19, 2014
There was a $100k bid placed. But was retracted mysteriously. I would not be surprised if the bids to $20k are shill bids.

He's making the right call selling out now.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Nothing to buy. The buzz is over, and a good google keywords campaign can do the rest. If he hasn't cashed out by now, it's over. Hope he got a check from someone. The 15 minutes of fame are done.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah. Crazy. Missed the window.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
if a flash in the pan could set him up to live very, very comfortably and sell out still relatively on the crest of his short lived wave. He succeeded. Right?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.