The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

DicksByMail.com-How a guy went from 12 orders a week to 2000 orders a day in 14 days

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Insane fastlane story unfolding all over the internet. A guy made a website that started just two weeks ago (while most of us were at the meetup), shipping these simple packages:

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Ldtx/#teeloj4

48 orders the first few days. Then someone posted it to Imgur and it made #1.
Last night it made #1 on Reddit r/All,
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2zkyu1/just_got_this_in_the_mail/
and today it's headed back to #1 on r/All with a post in r/Entrepeneur that is exploding
http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneu...reated_dicksbymailcom_yesterday_we_sold_2000/

Is this likely to have a 10-year liquidation fastlane exit? No. But it probably will be the next "Ship your enemies glitter." If he can maintain that order volume for 1 month it will be worth an easy six figures. It's blowing up organically all over Facebook and buzzfeed-like sites.

I just want to point out how Reddit was used for marketing here:

Someone (maybe somone affiliated with the seller? *puts on foil hat*) posted their package to Imgur.com as a customer. It was found organically, not as the seller trying to market anything.

The link was reposted to Reddit, again, A+ marketing not tied to the seller.

Then, after all that, the seller came forward when they were already popular.

Notice how the mailer has a ready made hashtag, and it's a great gag to share on social media. The idea has virality written all over it, and it's going viral in a big way.

It might be an accidental success story, *EDIT: NO IT ISN'T. 100% confirmed this guy got his friend to shill them as a trojan horse on imgur. This campaign was engineered! (Their prior meeting)

So using a plant to market and pretend not to be acting in the interest of the company, he's currently doing $30,000 in revenue PER DAY after two weeks. If even 25% of his revenue is profit (it's one guy in an apartment) he'll make an upper-middle-class employee's salary between now and next Thursday.

Fastlane fastlane fastlane.

Edit-Wow, this keeps getting more and more crazy. So apparently this idea was stolen/coopted/hijacked from the founders of bagofdicks.com, who had the idea but didn't execute on it. So this isn't even an original idea, it's a clone that this guy used Imgur and Reddit to blow up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
I like how he took something that already existed (a bag of gummy penis candy) and repacked it into something even more unique.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Looks like he's not prepared to fulfill the orders. He likely will crash and burn. 2 copycats from the US will take the business in 2 weeks, and the fad will be done in 4 weeks. Still, fun and cool story. The original company is likely dead. Nothing proprietary.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
lol, a bag of Spencer's dicks, a mailing envelope, a stamp, and a black and white piece of paper.

Probably less than $15.00.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like he's not prepared to fulfill the orders. He likely will crash and burn. 2 copycats from the US will take the business in 2 weeks, and the fad will be done in 4 weeks. Still, fun and cool story. The original company is likely dead. Nothing proprietary.

True, but a great way to make a name for yourself, and maybe enjoy a nice six-figure nest egg to start life with. The media eats shit up like this, even if it's only for a news cycle. Kinda reminds me of the million dollar home page dude, who if i remember correctly, is doing pretty well these days.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The logo is awesome

logo.png

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Yeah, it'll be a fad, but if crashing and burning means making $300,000 in 3 weeks and then folding up or getting eaten up by competitors, anyone here not want to crash? You can start a lot of legit businesses with a $300,000 nest egg. Hell, with my car flipping gig, if I had 300K in the bank, I could basically retire, since spending two days a month advertising and buying luxury cars is hardly work.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah, it'll be a fad, but if crashing and burning means making $300,000 in 3 weeks and then folding up or getting eaten up by competitors, anyone here not want to crash? You can start a lot of legit businesses with a $300,000 nest egg. Hell, with my car flipping gig, if I had 300K in the bank, I could basically retire, since spending two days a month advertising and buying luxury cars is hardly work.

If he can do it.

Knockoffs already in motion

https://squareup.com/market/mail-a-bag-of-dicks

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yeah, it'll be a fad,

I don't think it will fade as quickly as we like to think.

The proprietary thing here is being FIRST. Being the known brand, the famous one with all the news, the one that everyone's talking about.

The hook is going through the originator which carries the attachments, not dealing with any copycat that comes later. You buy the Shamwow because of Vince and his lunacy, not the knockoff because the knockoff doesn't have the story of Vince attached.

We often forget, we buy things to be apart of the story. Buy this and you do, buy the competitor and well, you become apart of no story other than reinforcing some trend hopper.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Disagree. There is no branding here. It could be knocked off in 24 hours by someone better prepared to scale it. Anyone down the street from a candy store could outflank this in a second. A google ad campaign.

I don't want to be the wet blanket here, but I just see a fun idea but with the guy in Canada and his inability to execute, I see it passing him by in a flash.

Hopefully I am wrong. Hopefully he just SELLS it for $100k this week. Otherwise, I see it as 100% vulnerable.

Nobody knows the "brand" so it could be trumped in a half hour with a kick a$$ google campaign.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yah - I'm on the fence. It's sort of like ship your enemies glitter. Gets popular, gets media, gets orders, then kind of dies out.

Will be interesting to watch - but I'd probably go for the quick cash out - as I think it would be tremendously difficult to build a sustainable business on gummy dicks, especially since he's just getting them from a wholesaler.

Will be interesting to watch, for sure!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why not just start the same thing with another product next week?

Didn't someone just do this about a month ago with dog poop.

And before that with some other revenge filled mailer?

Probably the same guy under different names haha.

Why not condoms filled with marshmellow cream?

Nobody better steal my idea!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yah - I'm on the fence. It's sort of like ship your enemies glitter. Gets popular, gets media, gets orders, then kind of dies out.

Will be interesting to watch - but I'd probably go for the quick cash out - as I think it would be tremendously difficult to build a sustainable business on gummy dicks, especially since he's just getting them from a wholesaler.

Will be interesting to watch, for sure!

Ah glitter, that's the other one I was trying to think of!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If I were the glitter guys, I would add DICKS to the menu. Like by tonight.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Glitter guy sold out fast, by the way. Exactly what the dick guy should do. He should sell it NOW to someone in the United States.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The Fastlane Forum: Where "Bombing" means making $210K/week.
tumblr_mak6ktGGkA1ru90dzo1_250.gif

BRB, emailing this story to two Organo Gold rubes who always talk about the joys of making $4k/mo.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So tonnes of people now Googling for "dicks by mail"?

So he did the heavy lifting and generated massive demand, maybe someone can just bid on the search term he's created and capitalise on it?

So you get sales, and build a list of people who like sending funnies in the email and being part of the latest ongoing trend.

Then mail them your next idea next month?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So tonnes of people now Googling for "dicks by mail"?

So he did the heavy lifting and generated massive demand, maybe someone can just bid on the search term he's created and capitalise on it?

So you get sales, and build a list of people who like sending funnies in the email and being part of the latest ongoing trend.

Then mail them your next idea next month?

Soooooooooooooooooooooo many ways to make money!

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
$10M in free publicity which doesn't disappear destroys $10K in Google ads which does disappear.

Yeah. I don't know if I mentioned this in my talk, but the front page of r/All typically runs a 150-200x multiple of upvotes, meaning that both of his 4500-ish upvoted threads generated him approximately to 700K hits of traffic. Buying 1.4M clicks, even clicks for "mail dick" is probably going to be expensive. Plus, now it's exploding on facebook, twitter, etc. (and even here) organically. You're in the realm now where you'd need a Coca-Cola-esque marketing budget to rival the press he's gotten in the last 72 hours, probably multiple millions of page hits per day.

Too bad he wasn't ready. Should have gone down to the local high school and hired every student he could lay hands on to pack boxes as soon as that imgur post broke 500 upvotes.

The scene discussing the problems with being unable to deliver in the film The Social Network was business GOLD. If you drop the ball early on in a substantial way (like planning on shipping 20 orders per day and getting 2000), you can tank your whole enterprise.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I don't think there is a big enough "need" to send someone gummy dicks by mail.
Why not something else? Glitter, cow-shit, etc

Doesn't fulfill commandment of entry, anyone can stroll along, set up shop in his territory and sell.

People are buying for the amusement right now, not hate, sending their friends a bag, here and there, but nobody is buying it again next month.
And next month, he won't be viral, so that will stop.

Unless he's a fantastic marketer and somehow gets all conservatives mail the republicans a bag.
Then maybe he'll hit 1M :rolleyes:.

Vote: SELL WHILE YOU CAN, DICK-PUSHER! (pun intended :) )

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Sure, but if he can ride the wave for even a month and sell at even 20% of to-date profit, he'll be a millionaire.

This fails CENTS all over the place, but it's still a major win because it hits one category of CENTS so, so far out of the ballpark:

Need: Not really, it's a fad, but people do want it.

Entry: Basically none. Shopify+a wholesaler.

Control: Nothing proprietary, no control, you could make this product with a mold in your kitchen.

Scale: Earth-shattering bases-loaded last-game-of-the-world-series home run. And this is where the money comes in for him.

Time: As Vig said, he can't execute. This could do brilliantly here, instead he's stuck filling 4-5 figure order volumes himself.

I guess this is a good lesson, if you crush one of the 5 commandments, you might still make bank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
...time to parlay. "Guy who started Dicksbymail launches Tagyourfriends, sells 50 ways to best your buds. Acquired by Spencer gifts for 50M. Hater? He's got a special gift for you - order here."

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
G

GuestUser116

So say I wanted to make a product like the dick gummys, what's the process of doing that? And is that site using an ecommerce plugin on wordpress?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.