The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

DicksByMail.com-How a guy went from 12 orders a week to 2000 orders a day in 14 days

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
So say I wanted to make a product like the dick gummys, what's the process of doing that? And is that site using an ecommerce plugin on wordpress?

Whoever answers, make sure to include the exact steps, and not leave anything out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
notsureifsrs

Excuse me, I was being a dick.................. haa....no.

If you were being serious - its a straight up shopify gig, you can set one up in 15 mins no tech knowledge required.

G

GuestUser116

I mean the product itself, where do you find a manufacturer and dropshifter to do that?

G

GuestUser113

So say I wanted to make a product like the dick gummys, what's the process of doing that? And is that site using an ecommerce plugin on wordpress?
I mean the product itself, where do you find a manufacturer and dropshifter to do that?

3283932-picard_wtf_riker_i_know.jpg

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I think it is mostly high fructose corn syrup, but im not sure.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
I would LOVE to get these for my aunt. Not because I hate her, but because I know she would get a kick out of them. Heck, I would like to get some for myself, but I imagine he must be pretty back ordered by now.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I would LOVE to get these for my aunt. Not because I hate her, but because I know she would get a kick out of them. Heck, I would like to get some for myself, but I imagine he must be pretty back ordered by now.

You want some gummy dicks for yourself?

jersey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Dec 27, 2013
he basically lied his way into stardom. i knew the originally pic of "look what i got in the mail" was fake because it was a 9x12 envelope with a 6oz bag of candy and ONE stamp.

personally, not a fan of the lying tactic spun off as a marketing tactic, i wouldn't believe the sales numbers.... but he may get those sales after it went viral. hahah.

more info here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneu...ce_knightley_caught_astroturfing_dicksbymail/

Last edited:

Ronnie

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 18, 2013
New York

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
, i wouldn't believe the sales numbers.... but he may get those sales after it went viral. hahah.

And more. Now reporting $75,000 in gross yesterday, and still rising. In addition to the est. 1.5+ million views of exposure from Reddit and Twitter, his page also got 48,000 FB likes and 1200 tweets in the last 48 hours. Meanwhile, rip-offs are getting zero traction:

https://flippa.com/4092539-low-effort-huge-potential-revenue-prank-your-friend-via-bag-of-dicks-site

This is also a great study in MJ's axiom about giving away the farm. He should *never* have come to r/Entrepreneur, the hub of his competition, and told them what was going on. People would have copied the idea as it went viral, but not with the same ferocity that they will thinking that there's a pie worth $75000/day that they can get a piece of.

Reveal your sales figures or reveal your biz, but not both, or any measure of success you have invites disaster.

Last edited:

Threenuc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 3, 2014
Poland
Can somebody explain to me how can companies "crash and burn" (or "die by momentum")? In this case you could just change the "order" button to "out of stock" and you're fine.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Can somebody explain to me how can companies "crash and burn" (or "die by momentum")? In this case you could just change the "order" button to "out of stock" and you're fine.

Because rapid-growth fads only last for a short amount of time. It's not like a cancer cure where, if it's out of stock, the customer will say "well, I'll keep checking back twice a day until I can get some!" If it's out of stock, people stop caring.

If it takes them a week or two weeks to restock, the social buzz and momentum will have died. The hashtag will be disused because other people won't have gotten packages to post to social media. When they get restocked, the "wave" will be over, and instead of getting $75000 in orders per day, they'll be getting $30 in orders per day.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Marketing*

Reddit sniffs out frauds better than almost any other site. You post on Reddit, you better be able to validate. Same with the Fast Lane Forum, as many of our members are from there.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sounds more like something @Kak would be interested in. I like NOT testicle businesses. [HASHTAG]#noGummyBalls[/HASHTAG]

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Psst... you guys wanna see what failure looks like?

This idea was not original. The guy stole it from some people who were "trying" to launch the same idea, and who had a better domain, www.bagofdicks.com.

This is what their page looks like today, while (if yesterday is any indication) their competition has probably grossed at least $30K since midnight.

rovQXr8.jpg

If I had a week I couldn't quantify all the fail here. First, the copywriting is unutterable shit, and this can be a life lesson for a lot of you: Musing tones and coy self-deprecation only works as a style when you have actual accomplishments to contrast it with in order to make it seem ironic and humorous. Their use of "foolhardy" and "depraved" can be lumped in with blogs titled "musings" "ramblings" "jabberings" etc. -Dude, you've never published anything for pay in your life and nobody has heard of you, you know what that means? Your triple platinum A-Game isn't good enough to be worth other peoples time. So why would we want the "musings" or "ramblings?" I'll read Mark Twain's ramblings, and buy into Mark Cuban's "foolish ideas." If you don't have their cred, this better seem like your best effort.

It seems to be contemplating a subscription model.

It's nearly 200% the cost of the competition.

It solicits press with no product, no sales, and no real media. Do they think people are going to contact them because of that nice photo of a paper bag?

And of course, worst of all, drum roll please:

It's sitting without a product while the competition stole the entire show. The site is now basically worthless, because even though they got a brand name, a website, a gmail, and started gathering emails, guess what?

They forgot to make anything. They forgot to create value. If you've ever seen the absolutely epic MozCon presentation "[HASHTAG]#RCS[/HASHTAG]" (if you haven't, watch it, it's brilliant even for people who don't care a bit about SEO), and so, even if this turns out to be a short-lived fad, or only worth $50K-200K, they completely blew it.

Take a good long look. Execute on VALUE CREATION not the trappings of being a business. Execute on GETTING SHIT DONE AND GETTING IT SHIPPED, not on gathering emails so you can do it at some indefinite future date.

Run.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wait a sec, just because my business card says "CEO", you mean, I'm not really a CEO? You mean the 11 minutes it took me to "launch" my "startup" website landing page isn't enough?

It seems to be contemplating

Perhaps on what color Ferrari to buy after all the "press" comes stampeding in via the GMAIL address... ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Psst... you guys wanna see what failure looks like?

This idea was not original. The guy stole it from some people who were "trying" to launch the same idea, and who had a better domain, www.bagofdicks.com.

This is what their page looks like today, while (if yesterday is any indication) their competition has probably grossed at least $30K since midnight.

rovQXr8.jpg

If I had a week I couldn't quantify all the fail here. First, the copywriting is unutterable shit, and this can be a life lesson for a lot of you: Musing tones and coy self-deprecation only works as a style when you have actual accomplishments to contrast it with in order to make it seem ironic and humorous. Their use of "foolhardy" and "depraved" can be lumped in with blogs titled "musings" "ramblings" "jabberings" etc. -Dude, you've never published anything for pay in your life and nobody has heard of you, you know what that means? Your triple platinum A-Game isn't good enough to be worth other peoples time. So why would we want the "musings" or "ramblings?" I'll read Mark Twain's ramblings, and buy into Mark Cuban's "foolish ideas." If you don't have their cred, this better seem like your best effort.

It seems to be contemplating a subscription model.

It's nearly 200% the cost of the competition.

It solicits press with no product, no sales, and no real media. Do they think people are going to contact them because of that nice photo of a paper bag?

And of course, worst of all, drum roll please:

It's sitting without a product while the competition stole the entire show. The site is now basically worthless, because even though they got a brand name, a website, a gmail, and started gathering emails, guess what?

They forgot to make anything. They forgot to create value. If you've ever seen the absolutely epic MozCon presentation "[HASHTAG]#RCS[/HASHTAG]" (if you haven't, watch it, it's brilliant even for people who don't care a bit abotu SEO), and so, even if this turns out to be a short-lived fad, or only worth $50K-200K, they completely blew it.

Take a good long look. Execute on VALUE CREATION not the trappings of being a business. Execute on GETTING SHIT DONE AND GETTING IT SHIPPED, not on gathering emails so you can do it at some indefinite future date.

Run.

One problem. If the copycat can't execute, it's an action fake of an action fake. I still say the copycat needs to sell it.

This will be my last post in this thread, as I am done talking about dicks in the mail. Or dicks in general.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
this guy used Imgur and Reddit to blow up.
Ok, so can you tell me a little more about this particular moment?
I just cant imagine that this was something that was "random". He obviously had a strategy here, and my question is how did he make that first push to get this snowball rolling?
How did he organically get the initial momentum to get a viral result?

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
c'mon, it's 2015. We need an API for this. dicksaas.com. Dicks-as-a-service.

Code:
dicksaas.dicks.create({
  name: '1000 Dicks',
  to: {
    name: 'Joe Smith',
    address_line1: '123 Main Street',
    address_city: 'Mountain View',
    address_state: 'CA',
    address_zip: '94041'
  },
  size:4,
  color: 'random',