The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I went from $0-$22k in 30 days

Ask me anything!

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
What I read in the article that really vibed with me is your ability to reach higher in an organization if someone is unable to do something you're interested in. I read about numerous times you reached out to a CEO to get something done and I think that's huge. Not being afraid to talk to the guy in charge via email or telephone if people at the bottom don't want to take action for you.

Actions and processes like that is the real gold to take away from it.
Absolutely. The only reason I got on to Karmaloop is because I wrote (and eventually called) the CEO directly. The only reason I was able to build relationships with buyers at Nordstrom was because I literally called up Blake Nordstrom himself. You can't afford to waste time with people who CAN say no but CAN'T say yes. Connecting with decision makers is key. Even if it scares the crap out of you (it still shakes me up sometimes haha)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Having gone into retail and distribution, what is typical margins they normally require before even getting your product on their site/shelves?

What is the % of sales on your own retail sales channel vs B2B wholesale distribution?
It's 1/2 and 1/2. For Karmaloop, they take around 30% and we handle all fulfillment, pick, pack and shipping (drop-ship arrangement). However, I'm happy, ready and willing to take that 30% because 30% of X amount of new customers is better then 100% of no customers at all!

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Congrats man. How many people requesting to buy the product did you need to validate the idea??
Just a few, not more then 5-10. It wasn't so much the amount of people, but the quickness in which it spread and I was approached. I reached out to just 1-2 people, put a Instagram post and everything very quick. Also, I had put images of the product on Karmaloop and got a ton of interest.

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Who is the highest profile person you've sold a grill too?
What do you plan to do with this brand? Do you see it continuing on forever or do you wanna sell it?
What platform do you use to for your website?
Do you have any habits or morning rituals that you do daily?
Where did you learn how to build your business aside from here?

Thanks and congrats on all of your success you website and the whole idea in general is pretty cool

I didn't sell her a grill, but I got a photo of this woman wearing one of our bracelets (this is before I started selling grills)

It's Rita Ora - who if you don't know already, is like.. a triple platinum musician.

And she was with her friend Iggy :)
80bf6c66-9a40-11e3-bf51-12313b06cccb-large.png

5186757_orig.jpg

Here's Will Rackley, who was on the Superbowl winning Giants team

superbowl-xlvi-image.jpeg

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Hey Chris, great question. Yes, I found a manufacturer for grills based in South Korea, began importing and reselling. The channels were pretty simple - no eBay or Amazon - just my website and Karmaloop, which is a much more highly targeted online shop that my ideal customers would congregate. My family wasn't too keen on buying any (my mother was horrified when she saw me open a shipment once, she thought they were dentures!) but several of my friends are very 'fashion forward' (and when I say my friends, I say 2-3 people - not a huge group). Target, target, target. That's been the best thing for me.

I read the forbes article which helped clarify a lot more as well. Thanks for sharing

SKE

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 6, 2014
Hey guys,

Pictured below is a customer of mine.

Refine-660x400.jpg

I've been selling grills (and not the BBQ kind) since January (idea hit me last December).

That first month we made over $22k and have been consistently around that number since. I was even featured Forbes this past March.

Because MJ's book (and this whole community) has been a huge part of that, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and personal experiences on how I built a six figure e-commerce business with zero outside investment.

1). It all starts with an idea (kinda)

Building a thriving web-based business ain’t easy. But it doesn’t have to be risky or take forever. The foundation of any successful business starts with an idea, but it can’t just be any idea – it has to be the “right idea”. Now, what’s the right idea? It’s an idea that meets the needs of the marketplace.

Here’s the fastest way to prove your idea has million dollar potential:

• Listen for code words: What are code words? They’re phrases like “I wish” or “I hate” or “I love” or “If only”. These phrases often express a desire for an alternative of some kind which may not already exist (or be readily available). Create that alternative. Whether scratching your own itch or someone else’s, this is the best way to get started.

• Scour Amazon reviews: 3 star reviews on Amazon are often an excellent source of information on how your potential market is feeling. Why 3 star reviews? 5 star ratings are too bubbly and 1 and 2 star ratings are oftentimes pure hate. Search for the pain points or points of praise in these reviews and address and/or improve upon them with your idea.

2). Test, Test, Test

You know that whole thing about entrepreneurs being crazy risk takers? It’s bullshit. Before you even spend a penny you’ll want to vet your idea in as many ways as possible. The first and best place to do this is via the digital deity Google using their Keyword Planner Tool. Consistently high search volume and competition are good indicators that there is indeed a need for your potential offering.

The other 2 steps, screenshots, etc. are all here: http://readsource.com/business/from-0-22k-in-30-days-how-i-did-it-and-how-you-can-in-4-steps/

Here are questions I ask manufacturers, sample mockups, a press release that got my brand featured on Hypebeast (a huge, high-traffic blog popular amongst my customer demographic) and other tools I use: http://readsource.com/business/from-0-22k-in-30-days-additional-tools-tips-tricks-and-resources/

Ask away and I'll help as best as I can!

Congrats on all of your success! @TheAlmighty

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Hey guys,

Refine-660x400.jpg

I've been selling grills (and not the BBQ kind) since January (idea hit me last December).

That first month we made over $22k and have been consistently around that number since. I was even featured Forbes this past March.

Because MJ's book (and this whole community) has been a huge part of that, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and personal experiences on how I built a six figure e-commerce business with zero outside investment.

Building a thriving web-based business ain’t easy. But it doesn’t have to be risky or take forever. The foundation of any successful business starts with an idea, but it can’t just be any idea – it has to be the “right idea”. Now, what’s the right idea? It’s an idea that meets the needs of the marketplace.

• Listen for code words: What are code words? They’re phrases like “I wish” or “I hate” or “I love” or “If only”. These phrases often express a desire for an alternative of some kind which may not already exist (or be readily available). Create that alternative. Whether scratching your own itch or someone else’s, this is the best way to get started.

• Scour Amazon reviews: 3 star reviews on Amazon are often an excellent source of information on how your potential market is feeling. Why 3 star reviews? 5 star ratings are too bubbly and 1 and 2 star ratings are oftentimes pure hate. Search for the pain points or points of praise in these reviews and address and/or improve upon them with your idea.

2). Test, Test, Test

You know that whole thing about entrepreneurs being crazy risk takers? It’s bullshit. Before you even spend a penny you’ll want to vet your idea in as many ways as possible. The first and best place to do this is via the digital deity Google using their Keyword Planner Tool. Consistently high search volume and competition are good indicators that there is indeed a need for your potential offering.

The other 2 steps, screenshots, etc. are all here: http://readsource.com/business/from-0-22k-in-30-days-how-i-did-it-and-how-you-can-in-4-steps/

Here are questions I ask manufacturers, sample mockups, a press release that got my brand featured on Hypebeast (a huge, high-traffic blog popular amongst my customer demographic) and other tools I use: http://readsource.com/business/from-0-22k-in-30-days-additional-tools-tips-tricks-and-resources/

Hey, isn't that Jimmy Boi?

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Nice, just read the story. I thought you were selling grill to people who were dropping over 10k on them. Nice, grills are still big here in TX. Especially Houston. Congrats on the success man!

livegrowfree

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 19, 2014
Great story. Thanks for sharing this and inspiring us here.

I hope your next project will continue with a snow ball effect.

james gordon

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 8, 2015
What I read in the article that really vibed with me is your ability to reach higher in an organization if someone is unable to do something you're interested in. I read about numerous times you reached out to a CEO to get something done and I think that's huge. Not being afraid to talk to the guy in charge via email or telephone if people at the bottom don't want to take action for you.

Actions and processes like that is the real gold to take away from it.
How does what you did convert or translate into what i can use for my books of (Poetry,Children's, and Erotica)?

SeanF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 3, 2014
Hey guys,

Refine-660x400.jpg

2). Test, Test, Test

hey there, i love this post. it's awesome.
Myself i was looking for suppliers of applicators of sun cream to one's back (a perennial problem on the beaches of the world, cause of many a burnt backs!!).
My question to you is... when ordering from alibaba must you keep the stock yourself or can you set it up so the customers receive it directly from them? Excuse my lack of knowledge s'il vous plait!! I guess with that you'd sacrifice delivery time to customers if they're in Europe/North America. I really think there is a huge market for this product as everyone loves the beach yet so solo travellers struggle applying cream

SeanF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 3, 2014
Hey guys,

Refine-660x400.jpg

2). Test, Test, Test

hey there, i love this post. it's awesome.
Myself i was looking for suppliers of applicators of sun cream to one's back (a perennial problem on the beaches of the world, cause of many a burnt backs!!).
My question to you is... when ordering from alibaba must you keep the stock yourself or can you set it up so the customers receive it directly from them? Excuse my lack of knowledge s'il vous plait!! I guess with that you'd sacrifice delivery time to customers if they're in Europe/North America. I really think there is a huge market for this product as everyone loves the beach yet so solo travellers struggle applying cream

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
When you first reached out on facebook, instagram, where ever and got your first feedback, how large is your network/following and what caused it to spread?

bob johnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 15, 2015
awesome presentation. Good writing. Should consider writing an ebook of some sort.

While I'm not sure if a product based business is up my alley, there's great info here. Thanks for making the effort.

PS it took me a little bit to figure out what it was that you actually sold.

just lol at there actually being a market for this. haha.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Appreciate the kind words brother.

I connected the dots via Alibaba by just researching grills on there.

Also, it wasn't a price up per se, I just wanted it cheaper and the only way to do that was via the manufacturer. ;)

Just want to give you props for your openness and willingness to share.

Calamity

debias.me
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 7, 2016
Germany

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Hey bud,

Great story. From the posts, I see you sourced a supplier from S. Korea and sell them on your website and Karmaloop. I have a few questions since I grew up with the scene and have some friends in the industry too:

1. How does your logistics work? With grills...I know if you go to a local person, they would insert the paste in your mouth until it hardens and use that as the mold to make the grills from. Do you mail them the paste and have them send back the mold to be made?

2. How do you separate yourself? I have a friend from college whose older brother has a jewelry shop in South Central LA. That shop went on to become IF&Co, one of the most famous jeweler out there to the stars. Are your prices cheaper or something?

3. Are you still doing well? (I hope so personally!) I ask because the jewelry game trends to fluctuate. Huge chains and rings were in, then it went to micro Jesus pieces and now it's semi in the middle.

4. Do you ever have unhappy customers? My friends in the jewelry game are so about their craft. I don't know much about the industry, but know VVS, VS, the difference between carat and karat, etc. just from them talking.

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Oh wow, this reminds me, I used to do watch and jewelry repair (around 2004.) We'd do free jewelry cleaning and this one got used to bring in his grill.
Told him that it wouldnt be hygenic because it would be going in a cleaner with other peoples rings and stuff( which could be nasty- I literally threw up from a couple different old men's watches) but he insisted and would come by once a month or so.

Anyway, great thread. Congrats on your success, hope you're still doing well.

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
Awesome stuff! I remember grills becoming really popular back in the day with the rappers paul wall and mike jones. That might be an interesting fb campaign tgtg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.