The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I went from $0-$22k in 30 days

Ask me anything!

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Hey guys,

Pictured below is a customer of mine.

Refine-660x400.jpg

I've been selling grills (and not the BBQ kind) since January (idea hit me last December).

That first month we made over $22k and have been consistently around that number since. I was even featured Forbes this past March.

Because MJ's book (and this whole community) has been a huge part of that, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and personal experiences on how I built a six figure e-commerce business with zero outside investment.

1). It all starts with an idea (kinda)

Building a thriving web-based business ain’t easy. But it doesn’t have to be risky or take forever. The foundation of any successful business starts with an idea, but it can’t just be any idea – it has to be the “right idea”. Now, what’s the right idea? It’s an idea that meets the needs of the marketplace.

Here’s the fastest way to prove your idea has million dollar potential:

• Listen for code words: What are code words? They’re phrases like “I wish” or “I hate” or “I love” or “If only”. These phrases often express a desire for an alternative of some kind which may not already exist (or be readily available). Create that alternative. Whether scratching your own itch or someone else’s, this is the best way to get started.

• Scour Amazon reviews: 3 star reviews on Amazon are often an excellent source of information on how your potential market is feeling. Why 3 star reviews? 5 star ratings are too bubbly and 1 and 2 star ratings are oftentimes pure hate. Search for the pain points or points of praise in these reviews and address and/or improve upon them with your idea.

2). Test, Test, Test

You know that whole thing about entrepreneurs being crazy risk takers? It’s bullshit. Before you even spend a penny you’ll want to vet your idea in as many ways as possible. The first and best place to do this is via the digital deity Google using their Keyword Planner Tool. Consistently high search volume and competition are good indicators that there is indeed a need for your potential offering.

The other 2 steps, screenshots, etc. are all here: http://readsource.com/business/from-0-22k-in-30-days-how-i-did-it-and-how-you-can-in-4-steps/

Here are questions I ask manufacturers, sample mockups, a press release that got my brand featured on Hypebeast (a huge, high-traffic blog popular amongst my customer demographic) and other tools I use: http://readsource.com/business/from-0-22k-in-30-days-additional-tools-tips-tricks-and-resources/

Ask away and I'll help as best as I can!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sweeetland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 13, 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Congratulations on your success so far!!

I have a couple of questions... at what point did you considering your idea validated? Did you only ask one friend to buy from you?

And, when targeting large stores like Urban Outfitters, did you encounter problems trying to speak to decision makers?

Thank you and I wish you all the best.

napier

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Feb 14, 2013
Great thread, thank you for sharing.

What do you consider large volume when using the Google keyword planner tool? and are you specifically looking for areas with high competition? I would think it would be the other way around?

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Congratulations on your success so far!!

I have a couple of questions... at what point did you considering your idea validated? Did you only ask one friend to buy from you?

And, when targeting large stores like Urban Outfitters, did you encounter problems trying to speak to decision makers?

Thank you and I wish you all the best.
Appreciate your question. Validation was an Instagram post, several tweets and Facebook messages out to my personal network. When I had unsolicited messages from friends of friends asking to buy a set, that's when I knew I was on to something.

Targeting large retail stores like UO gets difficult when trying to find decision makers, especially in buying because there's a gazillion different buyers, head buyers, etc., etc. I did some networking at a trade show, and was introduced to a buyer from a totally different division who was kind enough to connect the dots and point me in the right direction.

I wasn't just blessed with 'knowing the right people' which is a common excuse I hear people say. I invested my time into networking and connecting the dots.

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Great thread, thank you for sharing.

What do you consider large volume when using the Google keyword planner tool? and are you specifically looking for areas with high competition? I would think it would be the other way around?
I didn't have a set number in mind when calculating what was or wasn't adequate volume. I just saw the bars were high under those given metrics, took it to Google, checked out competitors, critical reviews on Amazon, their product photographs, etc. and said to myself "Okay, I can do a much better job at this and charge a premium for it" Competition is always a good thing because it indicates there's money to be made within that given niche and people are actively pursuing customers. I like to see a decent amount of competition. Not too much but not too little. As far as defining exactly what is "decent amount of competition" - I just applied the above. If I felt I couldn't tackle the market creatively and make my product the top value, I would've moved on.

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Appreciate your question. Validation was an Instagram post, several tweets and Facebook messages out to my personal network. When I had unsolicited messages from friends of friends asking to buy a set, that's when I knew I was on to something.

Targeting large retail stores like UO gets difficult when trying to find decision makers, especially in buying because there's a gazillion different buyers, head buyers, etc., etc. I did some networking at a trade show, and was introduced to a buyer from a totally different division who was kind enough to connect the dots and point me in the right direction.

I wasn't just blessed with 'knowing the right people' which is a common excuse I hear people say. I invested my time into networking and connecting the dots.
That second post has a link to a site I use to scout out potential points of contact, so when I meet with whoever, I have a general idea as to who I need to speak with and what my value add is.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Throughout your entire journey thus far, what is your biggest failure?

Was there a time where you couldn't handle the pressure anymore and felt like quitting?

What motivates you to keep going?

If today was your last day on planet earth and you had to leave a manual for your kids, friends, brothers and sisters about how to achieve the success you've accomplished so far, what are the 3 most important things you would write in the journal?

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Cool post, very interesting.

I think some key questions here are:

Are you selling any online? Do you run paid traffic?
What % of online sales vs retail do you currently have?
How do you target your clientele online/offline?

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Hey I read your thread(s) on Reddit, I brought up Johnny Dang the other day.

Since you're shipping from overseas, and I'm struggling to find a way to word this without coming off as an a**hole, the grillz are not exactly medium or high end I'm assuming. Somewhere around $20?

Any plans on expanding into medium or higher priced jewelry?

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Throughout your entire journey thus far, what is your biggest failure?

Was there a time where you couldn't handle the pressure anymore and felt like quitting?

What motivates you to keep going?

If today was your last day on planet earth and you had to leave a manual for your kids, friends, brothers and sisters about how to achieve the success you've accomplished so far, what are the 3 most important things you would write in the journal?
Great, great questions.

1). My biggest failure was spending over $2000 on handmade leather bags and $2000 on advertising them without testing to see what the market response would be first. The ad performance was horrible (because nobody wanted the product) and I ended up having a garage full of bags nobody wanted. It sucked. MJ is right about one thing: doing what you love is dangerous. I loved those bags and look what it got me!

2). No, I never wanted to quit. I thrive off of doubt, rejection and the potential for failure. It's what motivates me. When I decided to stop going to college, it's all I heard from everyone: "You're crazy" and "No way that'll work". When I began selling 'grillz' for Christ's sake - you can't even imagine the look on my parent's faces. But I persevered and continue to do so. I think it's the most important trait for entrepreneurs, to persevere and adapt. It's why I named my brand "Refinement Co." because refinement is the most important thing. Persevere, adapt and grow. The only time I've wanted to quit (or gracefully bow out as I like to think of it) is.. now.

3). What motivates me to keep going? haha the end result if I stop.. working for someone else!

4) If today was my last day on earth - the manual would be simple:
Love deep, fight hard and never take no for an answer. Ever.

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Cool post, very interesting.

I think some key questions here are:

Are you selling any online? Do you run paid traffic?
What % of online sales vs retail do you currently have?
How do you target your clientele online/offline?
Entirely online. No paid traffic. Tried it a few times, but decided against it despite the potential benefits if done right. All organic via organic editorials ran about the brand (e.g., http://hypebeast.com/2014/1/grills-by-refinement-co)
Target is pretty simple. Attack the editorials, forums and blogs that my audience congregates at most and position my product as the product to have (like if I were selling a book on how to build a business, I'd come here)

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Hey I read your thread(s) on Reddit, I brought up Johnny Dang the other day.

Since you're shipping from overseas, and I'm struggling to find a way to word this without coming off as an a**hole, the grillz are not exactly medium or high end I'm assuming. Somewhere around $20?

Any plans on expanding into medium or higher priced jewelry?
haha no assholeness taken. I've considered plans for high end jewelry like diamonds and what not, but am working on other ventures that are proving to have lower time commitments and higher profits that sit closer to my strengths.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
@TheAlmighty - Congrats, impressive development! Sick article on Forbes :)

For all the ones who think he got lucky or had overnight success:

Do you see some of the most important lessons from the Fastlane Forum and its contributors in these 2 lines?

mars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 19, 2014
New Jersey
Congrats @TheAlmighty this is such a dope story. You have effectively come up with another addition to the F*ckboi starter kit - affordable grills to go with their Js, Supreme anything and a pair of Nudies. Ha! Sorry I couldn't resist...no shade.

How did you go about finding the supplier from Korea after your first supplier tried to up the price on you?

Good to see another Jersey native doing well.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Great story. Great guy.

I was actually selling these grills not too long ago. Made decent money. Thinking about going back into the niche with a completely different style.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Who is the highest profile person you've sold a grill too?
What do you plan to do with this brand? Do you see it continuing on forever or do you wanna sell it?
What platform do you use to for your website?
Do you have any habits or morning rituals that you do daily?
Where did you learn how to build your business aside from here?

Thanks and congrats on all of your success you website and the whole idea in general is pretty cool

putinwork

Read -> PUT.IN.WORK
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Having gone into retail and distribution, what is typical margins they normally require before even getting your product on their site/shelves?

What is the % of sales on your own retail sales channel vs B2B wholesale distribution?

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
What I read in the article that really vibed with me is your ability to reach higher in an organization if someone is unable to do something you're interested in. I read about numerous times you reached out to a CEO to get something done and I think that's huge. Not being afraid to talk to the guy in charge via email or telephone if people at the bottom don't want to take action for you.

Actions and processes like that is the real gold to take away from it.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So if I read this correctly..

There was a need for people to buy better quality gold-grills (or just the gold grills in general) so you started importing and selling, correct?
What channels did you use to sell? Did you start up a website for selling them, sell to friends family fools, amazon, ebay?

Thanks

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
Congrats @TheAlmighty this is such a dope story. You have effectively come up with another addition to the F*ckboi starter kit - affordable grills to go with their Js, Supreme anything and a pair of Nudies. Ha! Sorry I couldn't resist...no shade.

How did you go about finding the supplier from Korea after your first supplier tried to up the price on you?

Good to see another Jersey native doing well.
Appreciate the kind words brother.

I connected the dots via Alibaba by just researching grills on there.

Also, it wasn't a price up per se, I just wanted it cheaper and the only way to do that was via the manufacturer. ;)

TheAlmighty

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
581%
Mar 29, 2013
So if I read this correctly..

There was a need for people to buy better quality gold-grills (or just the gold grills in general) so you started importing and selling, correct?
What channels did you use to sell? Did you start up a website for selling them, sell to friends family fools, amazon, ebay?

Thanks
Hey Chris, great question. Yes, I found a manufacturer for grills based in South Korea, began importing and reselling. The channels were pretty simple - no eBay or Amazon - just my website and Karmaloop, which is a much more highly targeted online shop that my ideal customers would congregate. My family wasn't too keen on buying any (my mother was horrified when she saw me open a shipment once, she thought they were dentures!) but several of my friends are very 'fashion forward' (and when I say my friends, I say 2-3 people - not a huge group). Target, target, target. That's been the best thing for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.