• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Depression: Are any successful entrepreneurs even affected by it or do they just snap out of it?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Claude Roy, Jul 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tanu1234

Tanu1234 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Hi Claude,

We are glad you get over it.

I have also read somewhere that helping others prevent depression.

Good tips.

Tanu

2. diegorueda

diegorueda Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,035
    It does, certainly.

Interesting enough, that is also the path to become a Fastlane :D

Tanu1234 likes this.
  3. Coalission

Coalission Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $62,137
    Very powerful point. I’ve been through a few weeks of depression and feeling suicidal, the type where I was too scared to do anything crazy, but if I had access to a pill I could take at night and never wake up I would have 100% taken it during that time.

I don’t remember whether it was a documentary or something where I learned it’s a chemical reaction in your body, but once I started thinking of it that way, it gives you a newfound power over it.

Instead of thinking about it as some black cloud that will never go away, which is what it feels like, it becomes like a headache, or a hangover. Something inside your body is triggering this reaction, so when you feel it coming on, start working on fixing the internal chemistry in your body.

As it turned out for me, living in Seattle in the middle of winter with no sun, your wife being out of the country with her mother and sister, combined with attempting a vegan diet, and dropping the Vitamin D pills I had been taking because “these little pills are probably not doing anything” is a bad combination.

The Rock also helped:

Ninjakid and GSF like this.
  4. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Some random planet, orbiting some random star
    Rep Bank:
    $7,906
    The mental health field usually gets a lot of criticism, but I do believe in many cases it can be very helpful. My ex went to various doctors and treatments, and made remarkable process. My friend also sees a psychiatrist regularly and he'd be doing a hell of a lot worse if he wasn't. So while I believe there's limitations to what the medical system can do for mental health, I would never want to discourage anyone from seeking it's help if they're suicidal. Actually that would be really irresponsible.

The misconception is that mental health is about "normal" vs "abnormal." This isn't really the case. Mental health is a spectrum, not a binary case. Mental illness is considered when a person isn't able to function in their life, but I know several high-functioning people with traits of mental illness who never opt for treatment.

Overall, humans are complicated, and we're trying to understand ourselves as best we can.

Yeah when you look at depression for what it is in a biological perspective, it looks really silly. You take away the mystical aspect of it, and it's power. And I love The Rock.

5. Brendan8450

Brendan8450 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Your question: Do entrepreneurs go through depression? (or do they just hide it and get on with it?)

MJ Demarco wrote in Unscripted (I don't want to give too much away) the power of feedback. Depression can happen when you keep doing things but you don't get what you expected or wanted. Have you been getting feedback lately that keeps hitting you like a tonne of bricks?

Of current events: Brad Pitt will be going through some turmoil. Ex-wife wanting money, child abuse stigma etc …Entrepreneur? Nah -- Just human.

=====
    In relation to vulnerability:

I was unemployed and had a benefit scheme to help me. My business plan was accepted, but that afternoon my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He was my point plan for finance, but he had to move away from his job.
    My brother-in-law who was a manager of a retail store was another key finance factor of my business plan. Two months later, his childhood cancer came back.

Both were terribly sick and needed help through treatment. My bro-in-law passed away. My sister had adopted a child with him so I had to step up and be the "two and a half men" kind of Uncle Charlie (I turned to drink. I was far from functional).

Radio and chemo paused the inevitable: my dad passed away in February.

======
    I can shock you with interactions I have had with police, rows with a lone parent, lost moments of just wanting to end it all, self-harm for attention..

I could also search Wiki and find a millionaire who hates himself.

…..
    You have been hit hard. As much as people say "just get back up"..it feels like bullsh*t.

I guess you have a lot of accountability, a lot of people depending on you, which clouds your judgement and mindset and why you have felt you have been hit so hard. If it was only you, well...you wouldn't have read a book, registered, sent a message.

If you can, use your exercise time and new routine to discover some inner strength. Owe yourself that, and never apologise for it. 15 minutes a day...be selfish and ask "What is it I want?"

6. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $24,759
    I don't discourage people from going to Mental Health. I'm stating the system needs revamped. which it upgrades all the time, you see this in the programs they change along the way, new research, new studies, new medicine, new technology.

I know many people get help with the right psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, and therapists. I was stating what one of the DSM 5 authorst stated, and many psychiatrists themselves. Many psychologists have even stated some of this themselves. I'm just repeating what I've heard from many different people in the system. There's always room for improvement. This is just from my research and findings. You have to look at both positive and negative sides to see the whole picture. There are some people who fall in the cracks of the system like any system. There are various branches of Psychology with various theories, concepts, and belief systems, and if you study it globally even in different cultures, they will disagree with other cultures.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuCwVnzSjWA