The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#DeleteFacebook

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Wow I knew people disliked FB but I didn't know people hated it so much lol!

On the business front, FB has made me alot of money, and it seems like it's made alot of other people on this forum alot of money.

On the personal front, I have a profile, and have found a whole bunch of long-lost old friends through it and it's now a way for me to stay in touch with my loose connections, wishing people happy birthday and hearing about their milestones etc.

So yeah, for passing a little bit of time and for staying in touch with loose connections, FB does its job and does it well IMO, I've deliberately placed it in a FOLDER on the SECOND page of my device, probably that helped abit lol.

But yeah, I guess I have to say I kinda like FB despite all the scandals etc.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
Yup, and also huge opportunities in anything that brings back together time with real people...

Puzzles
Board Games
Yard Games

Not to mention dumb phones! I was waiting to see when somebody was going to come out with a nice dumb phone because a lot of us are over the smart phone thing. Then I saw this one: This beautifully designed 'dumb phone' can only make calls and send texts — and it might be the key to curing our addiction to apps

Please, someone in this forum make its competitor! All I want is a GNSS chip (in case I get kidnapped) and possibly a camera and then it's perfect!

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So

Not to mention dumb phones! I was waiting to see when somebody was going to come out with a nice dumb phone because a lot of us are over the smart phone thing. Then I saw this one: This beautifully designed 'dumb phone' can only make calls and send texts — and it might be the key to curing our addiction to apps

Please, someone in this forum make its competitor! All I want is a GNSS chip (in case I get kidnapped) and possibly a camera and then it's perfect!

You know you can still buy this phone at Best Buy right?
5358001_sd.jpg

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
The thing is, even if you do stop using Facebook, you will still continue to contribute to their data set. Just as almost all websites out there use Google Analytics tracking codes, most also use the Facebook Pixel. The fact of the matter is no matter where you go online, your data is being utilized by "the collectors" and being sold to someone either through ads or directly.

Regardless of what becomes of Facebook, it is a necessary evil. Not taking advantage of all of that valuable data and visibility from a business standpoint is literally leaving money on the table. Or leaving the door ajar for your competitors to bait and switch.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
these platforms are the future, and not carving out your own place on them could significantly hinder your professional opportunities. That's about all that's stopping me from saying "yes, go ahead and #DeleteFacebook." Is there any other way?

Absolutely.

If you have popcorn and hot dogs to sell, it doesn't make sense to stand on a residential street corner and scream "Hot dogs!"-- it makes better sense to go to the ballpark.

At the end of the day, I treat them like channels. I don't go to the ballpark to watch a game, I'm going there to reach an audience.

GDIBass

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 1, 2018
San Diego
Facebook isn't even effective at keeping up to date with friends and family any more. I finally made the call to leave and was shocked by how often I mindfully opened the page. No more wasting time on there.

G

Guest92dX

I like @Andy Black 's views.

Use Facebook for it's main purpose. Just stay in contact with your close friends and family.

Don't like every company under the sun. Don't use it for dating. Don't be a $30K millionaire on there. Just don't.

If only Facebook went for a subscription model. Literally, $9.99 a month puts them at the same or higher stock value.

Plus, it will weed out people just looking to ruin the platform. Facebook has gone downhill.

I personally left before the scandal broke some months back.

The entrepreneur groups weren't that great either.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Ok, the hate on Facebook and its general populace aside....

Let's look for a solution to the problem.

Question:
If you ran Facebook, how would you deal with the problems of crap content, personal data leakage and the rest of the shitshow that have made us GTFO?

Comparing FB and TFLF, both are very different things. FB is a social media channel while TFLF is a channel. Still, both create online communities and content distribution.

While great management practices on part of TFLF mods (thank you!) can be put into action in FB, can it be implemented across a billion-pax worldwide channel?
Might not be a straightforward answer....so even Zuck might be in a pickle there.

Hurley32533

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2017
Florida
Left fb at the end of 2017 and haven’t missed it one bit. Just yesterday I logged back on to explore fb ads for a business and got sucked into the abyss for a few hours which really reinforced why I left in the first place. Fb=total time suck ✌

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
I remember when I deleted FB freshman year of college (2009). People thought I was weird for not having a FB account, FB being the #1 way college kids communicated events.

I wasn't the most social butterfly in college though, so there's that... :happy:

In any case, FB satisfies people's need to connect and belong - many are uncomfortable not knowing what's going on or feeling irrelevant. Without "putting yourself out there," a majority of people will forget you exist. One could say, social media is essential for many people's human necessity for significance.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Hmm, not sure about that. I struggle with the same stuff as everyone here. Focus being one of them. To be honest, it shouldn't take me YEARS to write a book.

Well, in that case, I would recommend it.

It's kind of funny, it's written largely targeting people in corporate America or Academia and, in a way, teaches them to fight the Script to go further in their profession.

Because the Script tells you to get a 9-5 and 'work hard'. But, it also tells you to answer your emails ASAP, attend meetings, stay late, etc. To race the other rats.

Deep Work is an unscripted way of tackling a 9-5. Shut off your social media, limit your emails, etc. Don't race the rats. Take a different path.

Newport is a college professor. He 'should' be attending seminars and administration meetings. He 'should' be working well past closing time every day. That's what you're 'supposed' to do.

Instead, he works on what matters. He's published books and studies. Even as a grad student, he rarely worked past 5:30.

Many people who say he should be at 'the meeting' are behind him academically/professionally.

Lesson: There's no shame in a 9-5 / Corporate Career, if that's what you're happy with. At the end of the day though, you still want to go unscripted . The Script tells you to work longer for less. You don't have to be an entrepreneur to tell conventional wisdom to F off.

Last edited:

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I only use FB for business related / advertising purposes but it's not going anywhere.

I was on board when it first came out, deleted all my stuff probably 10 years ago at least now. The honest reason being I just didn't have anything I thought was worth posting. haha.

Now FB has become the spot for older folks to bitch and complain and surf and play games, etc. basically the older folks have now become the drama queen teenager....mostly about politics and news stories. I suppose it's because they never got to experience social when they were young.

Younger people still have FB usually, but they are all about instagram now. Snapchat is still popular but not as much so anymore. I think we're prime for a new social network to come around soon for the younger generation which will eventually grow to become what snapchat and instagram have become.

With all that said, Facebook isn't going anywhere. Not with all the advertisers that will continue to spend money on there until it doesn't work anymore. To ignore Facebook would be to ignore the advertising tool it has become (from a biz standpoint).

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
I think even the idea of Facebook for business info is widely overblown. Yea maybe in 2010 that was a swell idea. Now look at it, it's just a clutter of bullsh*t. It's like someone trying to find your business in the Yellow Pages. The "Noise" factor is extremely large. Most people who find your Facebook page find it through your business, not vice versa.

I don't understand why people are so upset now with this latest "security breach". What do you think targeted ads are? It's spying. They track everything and it's on some NSA warehouse in Virginia somewhere.

Re-gain your sanity, delete your social media account. I did it about a year ago and became so much happier and more productive.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
LOL. Not a stretch for the average congressional idiot.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think some of y'all are missing the point about Facebook. I have 0 family members as my friends and 0 real friends as my friends. I don't keep up with the drama.... I don't keep up with politics..... I don't have to make remarks that would run some customers away because I can't keep my fingers from typing stupid stuff.... yet today alone it has made me $2049 so far and the day isn't even over yet.....

NadiaZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Mar 27, 2018
Kansas City
I think social media is a waste of time but it's great for building your brand and name recognition.

If you're producing stuff on there and advertising it, helps a lot. I've made social media pages for vacation homes and it's helped me get some clients.

As for individual use, I don't have a business yet but once I get my real estate stuff going, I'll be posting more videos and stuff to promote my "brand" as a real estate agent.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I am tempted to make a second account that has no friends solely to be the admin of these groups...

If you do you'll notice how the facebook algorithms work to try and find people you know. It's scary!

I created a second account with a US-based fake profile to be a page admin. That established one known association with the current page admin (my real profile). It used that single contact to start making suggestions; other business people, other people most close to me personally, general people I friended, even went through those people I unfriended, or denied friend requests from at some point. Then they spam you with potential new contacts via email... ugh

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
When we go on trips it doesn't bother me to stay completely off the internet for a week or 2. I usually don't even think about it. Problem lately is that the mother-in-law is getting old (90) so we stay closer to home more and spend more time with her instead of taking trips.

One thing that makes it easy for me to stay completely off the internet is that I do not use my phone for the internet. 99% of the time when I am on the internet I am at my desk. I don't like small screens. Maybe if you are having a hard time staying off Facebook or the internet, set the rule that you can only be on when you are at a certain place such as your desk. Or if you have a desk top or lap top make it a rule where you only use it when you are on one of those.

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
I did an experiment once by deleting all sources of social media, mindless internet surfing, video games, and Netflix from my life for a week.

It was probably the most peaceful and productive week I've ever had in my life.

You also start to realize how much free time you have when you're not constantly distracted.

I actually deactivated my FB, Twitter, and IG at the beginning of this year. It felt good, but honestly didn't change much for me. I think I'm just so desensitized to social media that it didn't matter that much.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I've been toying with the idea for months. Problem is I know I'll need it to get my business up and running. I'll be creating a separate FB page for my business. Once I get all of my "warm market" on board with liking that page it will be c'ya! to my personal page.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
Still have it, but the last post I made on Facebook was July of 2012. Never really was a big part of my life. I still use it to manage a few business pages, but honestly I don't even see too many of my close friends and family using it any more either.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
When we go on trips it doesn't bother me to stay completely off the internet for a week or 2. I usually don't even think about it. Problem lately is that the mother-in-law is getting old (90) so we stay closer to home more and spend more time with her instead of taking trips.

One thing that makes it easy for me to stay completely off the internet is that I do not use my phone for the internet. 99% of the time when I am on the internet I am at my desk. I don't like small screens. Maybe if you are having a hard time staying off Facebook or the internet, set the rule that you can only be on when you are at a certain place such as your desk. Or if you have a desk top or lap top make it a rule where you only use it when you are on one of those.

I was going to say the same thing! I don't have the Facebook or Messenger apps, and it's very easy to forget to check. I do stay on the social networks because they're connected to my business accounts (and for the personal reason that I've got no family in this country and like to keep people somewhat up-to-date with my kids).

Am I missing something? Why the sudden recommendation to quit it?

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I was going to say the same thing! I don't have the Facebook or Messenger apps, and it's very easy to forget to check. I do stay on the social networks because they're connected to my business accounts (and for the personal reason that I've got no family in this country and like to keep people somewhat up-to-date with my kids).

Am I missing something? Why the sudden recommendation to quit it?
Nevermind, I Googled...I'm a little out-of-touch :p

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.