The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#DeleteFacebook

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I use it for FB groups I am apart of and to spy on ads & funnels of other companies (and man have I come away with some gems).

Really comes down to how you use it. I don't care about any of the posts from 'friends' on FB so I don't get consumed by them.

It's the FB groups with IM'ers that do it for me. It is a grrrrreeeeaaaatttt way of pulling in clients.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Only using it for groups as well. Killed the news feed a couple of months ago, and it has been fantastic.

Thinking about quitting it for good though.

Spent way too much time on Facebook a couple of years ago. Couldn't stop looking at the damn news feed 117 times a day, and I wanted to take a break from it without deleting my account.

So to make myself unable to log in and force my self to stay away, I logged out on all my devices and made my girlfriend change my password to something only she knew, so I simply couldn't log in on either my computer or smartphone. Worked like a charm.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Interesting, I thought FB was uncool for the younger set.

I think this is what caused me to say "f*ck Facebook and f*ck Zuckerf*ck" -- my FB Business Page at one time had over 160,000 likes. I was so proud of that page and any content I shared there would get huge engagement, sometimes upward toward 100,000, comments, likes, shares, you name it.

When they changed their algorithm, now anything posted there is lucky to see 2,500. But FB has made damn clear that I see "BOOST THIS POST for only $5!"

F*ck them.

And just think, some people worked their butt off to build a huge FB fan following, only to have FB throttle it down and muzzle it.

Yes, even I get harsh reminders of The Commandment of Control.
Exactly! The paying can kill you.

I think that is why more people on FB have been trying to not 'pay' for marketing.
They turn to content marketing strategies, making tons of videos and content, but its also not free....in terms of time.

And that makes the marketing saturation even worse.

We have some folks who aren't supposed to advertise online.
I have MLM friends who use FB to do 'advertising'. Not paid ads. Just spamming the feed with regular posts.

When I ask them if any of their views or likes is going to return a single dime of profit, they just say, 'But we see our top MLM directors doing the social media thingy. Why can't I?'

I am becoming more convinced that I might have to cut out social media as a major means of marketing. Maybe it is contrarian. Maybe I am wrong. Or I have been taking to heart @Kak's threads too much:rofl:

At the end of the day, Facebook will still need a recurring source of revenue. They can't stay jacked on financing forever, thus the adjustment of algos to make you pay more! FB's revenue model just makes me sad...

Visit people. Call people. Say "Hi" and shake their hand!

Stop in to their office and leave a sample! If it's the morning bring them a coffee!

Or just be a tech zombie like everyone else...'cause somebody needs to see my FB ads!
Most of the time people are just window shopping on FB.

Even if Facebook can be a source of social proof that can make people buy stuff, can they get the social proof from somewhere else?

Or, are there better forms of social proof than a bunch of texts on FB?

Facebook doesn't always rule the social proof market, IMO.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Just saying...

Guess I'm the early adopter here.

I've deleted Facebook from my minds-eye a couple years ago. I still have the accounts, but me visiting Facebook is like me going to the Mutual Fund retirement conference.

And if you want to help me out besides the ten dollars you spent on my book(s), visiting THE FORUM and contributing HERE over Facebook helps me tremendously.

Mark Zuckerberg don't give a sh*t about you.

I do. ;)
When was the last time I came online on FB???....I guess this forum is the reason why.This is the real deal.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
I cant imagine being a android user and knowing some huge company scanned my texts and phone calls. Zuckerberg should be thrown in prison for that.

Thats the one thing about apple, they really care about privacy. To the point they let SIRI be complete shit because in order to compete with google now, their software would need way more data.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
What about other social media like Twitter or even LinkedIn? I found LinkedIn can be quite addictive too and these days I am minimizing my time there by only once per day and no news feeds read at all.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Just saying...

Guess I'm the early adopter here.

I've deleted Facebook from my minds-eye a couple years ago. I still have the accounts, but me visiting Facebook is like me going to the Mutual Fund retirement conference.

And if you want to help me out besides the ten dollars you spent on my book(s), visiting THE FORUM and contributing HERE over Facebook helps me tremendously.

Mark Zuckerberg don't give a sh*t about you.

I do. ;)
I never even used it I had a bad feeling about it and did not ever see the point

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Facebook isn't even effective at keeping up to date with friends and family any more. I finally made the call to leave and was shocked by how often I mindfully opened the page. No more wasting time on there.
I hope someone comes up with a way to compete with the company. They used psychology to manipulate people I hope no one else has to do the same. I can never create a site like facebook, because I don't know the appeal of it but, I don't like snapchat either.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BTW, I am surprised that there's no thread here on the Peter Thiel departure from Silicon Valley.

Well when he spoke at the RNC Convention (implying he supports Trump) he pretty much gave himself no choice but to exile himself from the bay area.

Is that issues toeing too much over the political redline?

Probably.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Facebook is approaching 2,000,000,000 users. I can understand the reservations about not being on Facebook with personal data... but from a business perspective with a potential reach of nearly ALL of our available customers, not being on Facebook doesn't make sense.

If you're a top tier brand, consumers expect you to be there.

If you're not a top tier brand, you hope consumers would find you there.

Posting a repository of content there for consumers to find is FREE.

It's an interaction point. I can't recall the last time I searched for a company on Facebook and they weren't there.

No need to repost the articles about a half dozen high profile brands leaving Facebook... I am aware of the recent media but that's not my point.

If you have a business, and customers are looking for you on Facebook, you should be on Facebook.
I agree with you.But we aren't saying we are not on facebook or it's not useful.The point we are trying to make is that if facebook's more of a distraction than a way customers reach a business,then it should be left out.Simple as that!.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have never had a positive Roi on promoted posts on Facebook

Promoted posts on Facebook are a bullshit cash grab by Facebook to take advantage of people who don't know or understand the platform and how it actually could fit into their business. People who think that 'engagement metrics' are the end all be all of social media marketing. Poor saps. People waste thousands of dollars on FB advertising without even knowing if they're getting a ROI.

In fact, 90% of the 'killer features' that Facebook has are completely useless for most people. Including promoted posts.

Dylan in Africa

Worldwide Educator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2017
Planet Earth
In many ways, I would LOVE to #DeleteFacebook, delete other forms of social media, and free myself from the distractions and garbage they can be associated with....

BUT then again, the access to these social networking communities and the information available on them to others and ourselves is immensely valuable.

As people like Gary Vaynerchuk and Grant Cardone preach, these platforms are the future, and not carving out your own place on them could significantly hinder your professional opportunities. That's about all that's stopping me from saying "yes, go ahead and #DeleteFacebook." Is there any other way?

Youngrahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 28, 2018
England originally from Korea
I'm glad you put this up!
I've been following you on Facebook ever since I finished the first chapter of your book and was wondering if you were using that platform often. By the way, I really like your profile picture :)

I'm hardly on Facebook but still believe Facebook is a very useful tool especially for someone who is away from his/her family and friends like myself. My husband, for instance, has been in the military over 10 years and he hasn't lived in America for 8 years so Facebook sometimes plays a big role as a tool which helps him share photos of us with his family in a few seconds.

Even though I still think they are useful for me, I got rid of Facebook app and its messenger app from my phone a while ago. Because there is nothing more annoying than being a part of 3 different chat groups that I have never volunteered to become a part of.

I check my Facebook only on my desktop these days and it feels great knowing that Facebook and its messenger do not own my two most precious resources, time and attention anymore. :blush:

Anyway, I must admit this forum really adds value to my life. Thank you for this wonderful creation, MJ!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.