The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#DeleteFacebook

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just saying...

Guess I'm the early adopter here.

I've deleted Facebook from my minds-eye a couple years ago. I still have the accounts, but me visiting Facebook is like me going to the Mutual Fund retirement conference.

And if you want to help me out besides the ten dollars you spent on my book(s), visiting THE FORUM and contributing HERE over Facebook helps me tremendously.

Mark Zuckerberg don't give a shit about you.

I do. ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlexLegault

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I did an experiment once by deleting all sources of social media, mindless internet surfing, video games, and Netflix from my life for a week.

It was probably the most peaceful and productive week I've ever had in my life.

You also start to realize how much free time you have when you're not constantly distracted.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
When my mom wondered why I wasn't her facebook friend anymore, I told her I deleted it. My dad was sitting on his chair in the background, and must have detected the slight tinge of pride and self-satisfaction in my voice. He's like "Congratulations, you're 32 and aren't spending your time like a teenage girl anymore. I'm so proud."

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
What about our Facebook pages and groups we use for our branding/sales etc..?
That trade-off is the only thing holding me back from deleting FB.
Although it's also nice to get noticed when its the birthday of your friends.

I deleted my Facebook for a few months. It was the best thing I ever did.

Then i started my business. And I need my Facebook groups to talk to my customers and get sales.

I am tempted to make a second account that has no friends solely to be the admin of these groups...

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I’m 26. I gave up Facebook at 17, 2008. It’s cancer.
:arghh:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sorry but I can't resist...

ba2.jpg

The Patriot Way

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Sep 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Facebook is straight up evil. I've been using the "News Feed Eradicator" extension for over a year, which replaces your entire news feed with a motivational quote. I keep it for groups and to discover opportunities and hone my ideas from relevant communities. No sympathy for any "difficulties" they're having now.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This is from my group and it quite interesting...

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 07.41.59.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you're in the college party scene, FB is crucial.

Interesting, I thought FB was uncool for the younger set.

It seems that the Facebook business pages for B2B get the lowest engagement - and since there new algorithm change, its become a pay to play game.

I think this is what caused me to say "F*ck Facebook and F*ck Zuckerf*ck" -- my FB Business Page at one time had over 160,000 likes. I was so proud of that page and any content I shared there would get huge engagement, sometimes upward toward 100,000, comments, likes, shares, you name it.

When they changed their algorithm, now anything posted there is lucky to see 2,500. But FB has made damn clear that I see "BOOST THIS POST for only $5!"

F*ck them.

And just think, some people worked their butt off to build a huge FB fan following, only to have FB throttle it down and muzzle it.

Yes, even I get harsh reminders of The Commandment of Control.

Joaquim

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 19, 2018
Belgium
What about our Facebook pages and groups we use for our branding/sales etc..?
That trade-off is the only thing holding me back from deleting FB.
Although it's also nice to get noticed when its the birthday of your friends.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wasn’t on Facebook until 2 years ago, then joined in to try and get my head round it.

I had a Facebook group and enjoyed helping people in it, but didn’t like the platform.

I’ve moved my group to a forum. Yay. I no longer need to login to Facebook to check if there’s any questions in my group.

I’ve dropped out of most Facebook groups I was in, and turned off notifications for the few I’m still in.

What’s most tiring about groups is the transient nature of content. Which means the same questions keep getting asked.

I’ve trained my feed to stop showing ads I don’t like.

I’ve deleted all interests.

I do get to see family and friends, which I like.

I can check out groups every now and then to see what people are talking about and struggling with.

I just got bored with Facebook. I don’t feel I need to delete the app. It’s there for when I want to catch up or do research.

I just don’t like Facebook’s business model. Google wants you to get off their platform as fast as possible and get on with your day. Facebook wants to keep you on their platform as long as possible, and keep you from your day.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Mark Zuckerberg don't give a sh*t about you.
I do. ;)

415.gif

On a more serious note, the photos & content I see in my FB feed from "friends" daily can be summarized as follows:

1) Going to exotic countries - "chasing" after the Northern Lights

2) Daily Positive/motivational quotes (sometimes 4 posts/day) - ....and still sitting on their asses daily playing online games

3) Kids - These folks, their universe revolves around nothing but kids. Except no one tells them their kids are not cute at all. I feel pugs and cats are way cuter!

4) Guru Ads - F*ck this shit. I look at the comments for such ads and I cringed when I see so many folks asking how to sign up, where to join, location of seminar, how much they can expect to earn, how fast they can get rich. Comments amt can range from 60 to 500+.

5) Memes and crazy vids of people doing impossible stunts - makes up 60% of my feed

6) Cars - some folks like to take pics with their Hyundai/Honda/Mazda cars and think it's some Ferrari/Lambo/Pagani shit

7) Food - There's a couple who're food addicts. Goes to restaurants daily eating huge amts of beautiful but unhealthy food. I fear for their health, and worry they'll have to pay the price sooner or later for disregarding what they put in their mouth.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I find out today that someone is impersonating me on Facebook and sending all my contacts SCAM messages via Facebook Messenger. And because it's messenger and not a profile, it continues to happen.

DZOs0N2U0AAoCrM.jpg

You think Facebook has an easy way to report this?

Nope.

And now I'm forced to login into Facebook and spend MY valuable time trying to fix it.

F*ck Facebook.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Facebook is approaching 2,000,000,000 users. I can understand the reservations about not being on Facebook with personal data... but from a business perspective with a potential reach of nearly ALL of our available customers, not being on Facebook doesn't make sense.

If you're a top tier brand, consumers expect you to be there.

If you're not a top tier brand, you hope consumers would find you there.

Posting a repository of content there for consumers to find is FREE.

It's an interaction point. I can't recall the last time I searched for a company on Facebook and they weren't there.

No need to repost the articles about a half dozen high profile brands leaving Facebook... I am aware of the recent media but that's not my point.

If you have a business, and customers are looking for you on Facebook, you should be on Facebook.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Facebook is one of those "only if it makes me money" things for me. (along with Instagram & Twitter)

Otherwise I just never saw the point of social media.

I can't for the life of me understand how people actually get addicted to it.

99% of it is attention whoring and FAKE.

I guess I'd rather whore for attention face-to-face instead? lol

But really, the average person is glued to their phone and social media. And I really don't want to be average...so I don't do that.

Visit people. Call people. Say "Hi" and shake their hand!

Stop in to their office and leave a sample! If it's the morning bring them a coffee!

Or just be a tech zombie like everyone else...'cause somebody needs to see my FB ads!

meridian_blue

Eternal Student
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Jun 11, 2017
Texas, United States
If you ran Facebook, how would you deal with the problems of crap content, personal data leakage and the rest of the shitshow that have made us GTFO?

Honestly I wouldn't.
Facebook is doing its job - and its brutally effective. Facebook is in the business of drawing people in with crap content and keeping them there. Most of 'social media' are articles, videos, and ads to keep people drawn in and clicking. I would say in my experience less than 5% of it is actually meaningful posts made by actual people I know and care about. And personal data leakage aside (which is a major PR problem right now), Facebook is in the business of gathering and selling data. Staggering amounts of it.

But the scariest part about social media how much time it drains out of the average user. Countless hours, over years - that's real. Lost business opportunities, lost time to spend working out, or spending time with loved ones. The number one time-drain in America isn't TV, its Facebook.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I doubt you'd gain much value from it.

Hmm, not sure about that. I struggle with the same stuff as everyone here. Focus being one of them. To be honest, it shouldn't take me YEARS to write a book.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Facebook is one of those "only if it makes me money" things for me. (along with Instagram & Twitter)

Basically describes my entire use of social media. Although I wouldn't explicitly say "if it makes me money" but more like, "does this hit my audience?" -- the big conundrum for most of us is this: If we're selling hot-dogs but hate visiting the ball-park, avoiding the ball-park could be bad for business.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Ya Im tempted to leave, even with my group.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Basically describes my entire use of social media. Although I wouldn't explicitly say "if it makes me money" but more like, "does this hit my audience?" -- the big conundrum for most of us is this: If we're selling hot-dogs but hate visiting the ball-park, avoiding the ball-park could be bad for business.

Except in this case the ball-park is ran by some seriously evil people that are doing their best to accelerate the destruction of the western world. (Along with Google, Disney, the federal government, and others)

Not really a ball-park I like going to, no.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
This is old, but......

18mrvs5i9x4pkjpg.jpg

The last line is extremely insulting though.

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Facebook = Arguments & Advertisements

I can't delete it entirely, I use it for work although the personal aspect of it is dead to me.

Quick Hack:
1) I went and joined a shit ton of groups, ranging from professional business groups, real estate, local marketplace groups, local neighborhood watch (very good for real estate scouting) groups, etc. Maybe more than 30 groups. They have groups for everything

2) I started to ACTIVELY delete and unfollow any and everything that's not business or productivity related. Effectively manipulating Facebook's newsfeed to be a productivity feed. This includes anything related to politics, trump, hilary, election crap, friends and acquaintances that bitch, companies I "liked" back in 2008 when Facebook was different, etc. Unfollow it ALL.

Took a few weeks but it started to clean up my facebook feed. My feed is now a productivity tool that only shows messages and posts from groups that I find value in. New real estate deals, local neighborhood happenings (I dont watch local tv), business stuff, Networking, Freelance groups, etc.

Its become a tool for me now. When I go there instinctively to kill time, I end up getting motivated to do some work.

Not perfect though, Facebook still has an insidious way of somehow delivering toxic news and connecting me to Joe Schmoe in Idontcare, USA about his view on x, y and z.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.