The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#DeleteFacebook

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

silentownage001

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Apr 7, 2013
After joining a business group a few months ago I think I've looked through my feed twice. Otherwise I just use it for my business page. Basically I go to Facebook and see if my picture has any notifications. If so I login. If it isn't the business group I log out. If it is I check it out.

For IG I've been unfollowing pages that don't provide value. I've gotten it down to mostly business and cars now.

For other areas I've turned off news notifications on my phone and deleted some of the apps. Too much negativity there.

It's been a process cutting out the useless crap and replacing it. Instead of listening to music walking to class I listen to podcasts like Andy Frisella's MFCEO.

One thing I've noticed is how bad people are with walking around with headphones in and staring at their phones. If I have to look at my phone it takes forever to do something because I keep looking up to watch where I'm going.

I do think people should use headphones less. Tonight I was walking to the gym and it was quite pleasant. Sun hadn't finished going down yet. It's been warmer recently. Birds singing. It was very relaxing and just nice feeling more connected to the world. As much as I like listening to music and podcasts, not hearing the sounds of the world cuts you off a bit.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I took massive action today and deleted my linkedin (never got on it i think linkedin is so 1.5 to 2 years ago) and have put in my request to delete my instagram and twitter.

facebook like @biophase is only useful if you know how to use it accordingly. Ditto on the TV example.

anyways most of the time i am banned for 30-45 days for one or two funny comments so I cant do much anyway haha

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Not good for Facebook when iconic tech veterans leave

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says he's left Facebook over data collection

"SAN FRANCISCO — Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak told USA TODAY he's leaving Facebook out of growing concern for the carelessness with which Facebook and other Internet companies treat the private information of users.

"Users provide every detail of their life to Facebook and ... Facebook makes a lot of advertising money off this," he said in an email. "The profits are all based on the user’s info, but the users get none of the profits back."

Wozniak said he'd rather pay for Facebook than have his personal information exploited for advertising. And he heaped praise on Apple for respecting people's privacy."

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
This forum is my new FACEBOOK.I honestly can't remember the last time I logged into facebook.Funny enough,I have never logged out of this forum(no kidding!).

Last edited:

Bdubz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Feb 6, 2014
Deleted Facebook when I was 18. I don’t like Instagram either bc I find myself wasting time non stop scrolling at meaningless non sense. But I do like the aspect of keeping pics and taking them throughout my journey of life so I can one day look back on it and reminisce. I don’t tell anyone I have one. No one comments or likes and that’s how I want it. Most people do it for others it’s 100% for my future self.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Thanks to this Forum, my FB and IG are now at a minimal, heck I can't even remember the last time logging in. Whereas 6 months ago, both were an addiction. I love this forum so much. Thank you MJ!

D

Deleted50669

I admittedly have a hard time deleting it. I need to just, do it, and move on with life.

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Just saying...

Guess I'm the early adopter here.

I've deleted Facebook from my minds-eye a couple years ago. I still have the accounts, but me visiting Facebook is like me going to the Mutual Fund retirement conference.

And if you want to help me out besides the ten dollars you spent on my book(s), visiting THE FORUM and contributing HERE over Facebook helps me tremendously.

Mark Zuckerberg don't give a sh*t about you.

I do. ;)
Never had Facebook in the first place ;)

D

Deleted50669

W
I deleted my Facebook for a few months. It was the best thing I ever did.

Then i started my business. And I need my Facebook groups to talk to my customers and get sales.

I am tempted to make a second account that has no friends solely to be the admin of these groups...
What improvements did you notice when you got rid of it?

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
I deleted the app a few weeks ago, it’s been refreshing and productive.

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
Facebook marketplace has replaced Craigslist for me but don't use it for much else.

IamCJTurner

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
614%
Mar 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I have a question about Facebook that has been bugging me for a while now.
More specifically a business page selling to B2B customers.

Having had the pleasure of working for some great brands in the past, all have varying successes on Facebook. It seems that the Facebook business pages for B2B get the lowest engagement - and since there new algorithm change, its become a pay to play game.

I admit, I am not good with Facebook, I just can't fathom putting the effort in to make a post, just for it to end up in the twighlight zone. However, I do anyway because "its what everyone else does".
It really doesn't make sense to me.
The experts tell me that I should use it but most of them sell courses - so I am always sceptical of their advice.

So, what I would like to know is:
A) Does Facebook work for B2B?
B) How the f**k do I do it?

I thank you in advance for the assistance.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
This is for people who want to stay on Facebook, yet minimize their use as much as possible:

As long as you have a bit of self-control and can actually only use the tools for what you originally wanted (Facebook groups, messaging friends/"friends") I believe is ok to stay in, however the problem is many people will think "just five minutes on facebook" and will stay for hours watching random videos lol.

One thing I did was:

-Delete weak ties or people you haven't spoken in years.
-Use messenger app, not the Facebook app.
-Check it once every two days and then go into once per week when you get used to it.

Also I find nowadays Instagram is much more addictive than Facebook. Any thoughts on this?

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD
Just saying...

Guess I'm the early adopter here.

I've deleted Facebook from my minds-eye a couple years ago. I still have the accounts, but me visiting Facebook is like me going to the Mutual Fund retirement conference.

And if you want to help me out besides the ten dollars you spent on my book(s), visiting THE FORUM and contributing HERE over Facebook helps me tremendously.

Mark Zuckerberg don't give a sh*t about you.

I do. ;)

I have found FB to be quite useful to me. I only check it two or three times a day for a few minutes total. I have joined groups where people have similar businesses and goals that provide useful information.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
It seems like everyday I'm trying to convince myself that social media is something necessary, but I'm finding fewer reasons to use it. Both for personal and business reasons. It's to the point where I don't have any social media app on my phone anymore and I don't miss it at all.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Basically describes my entire use of social media. Although I wouldn't explicitly say "if it makes me money" but more like, "does this hit my audience?" -- the big conundrum for most of us is this: If we're selling hot-dogs but hate visiting the ball-park, avoiding the ball-park could be bad for business.
Another question is this:

What if there are more people buying hot-dogs in places besides the ball-park?

Also, someone provided the hot-dog seller with the buns and the sausages to cook and sell. Why isn't that someone in the ball-park with the seller?

I'm thinking that Facebook shouldn't be the box that keeps us entrepreneurs in, as @Kak spoke about recently on Amazon.

ironman150

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jun 22, 2017
GREEN BAY WI
i deleted it some months back, even before this latest bru-hah-hah, but my college daughter had a conniption. It's her primary way of sharing her life with me so i'm back on it. I have no "friends" other than my wife and 3 kids and then there are some decent groups i'm in (4 to be exact).

I often get asked by people i've un-friended and the rest of my siblings what going on and i tell them i only use it for the kids, all other is just noise i don't need right now.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Deleted facebook years ago.

I could care less about how people see me or how attractive and successful people try to make themselves out to be.

Currently only use whatsapp and cyberdust. The people who really care about me are gonna be on there asking me how I am. I like these apps because I feel like they take my privacy seriously. Facebook would stab you in the back without a second-thought.

I think the next generation of social media platforms opportunities are gonna fill this gap of distrust of government, big corporate bureaucracy and "false friends" and more towards authenticity. Huge opportunities in these areas.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
I have never had a urge to join FB. I did one time in college when I wanted to work there for a internship. Lol I guess I never got a call back because my FB Page was empty. Since they require you have one in order to apply for any kind of job there smh.....

Anyway whenever I met a girl that’s the first thing she ask “what’s your FB or what’s your IG” I’ll always say nah i don’t have any social media. It’s not my type of scene. Then they give me the fish in the Fish Tank look......I never wanted to know or care about what other people are doing. That’s the reason FB and IG and snap have all these “followers” because of peoples FOMO(fear of missing out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Whoa?!?! The gall of people.

It wouldn't even occur to me to impersonate someone on Facebook. If these scumbags are smart enough to think of cr@p like that, then surely they're smart enough to build a legit business?

Low lifes...
Smart enough to copy a legit business to be exact.

Since MJ didn't make his FB account into a marketing monster, with all the bells and whistles (less time spent there), the goons must have had an easier time to reverse-engineer everything.

If they tried to impersonate titans like Grant Cardone or Gary V, that would be a different story.

Branding and process behind it comes to mind.
You know you can still buy this phone at Best Buy right?
View attachment 18876
I actually like these kinds of phones! A beauty!

I would miss the Notepad app and freelance apps though, should I make the switch. ;)

anyways most of the time i am banned for 30-45 days for one or two funny comments so I cant do much anyway haha
HUH????

Yup, and also huge opportunities in anything that brings back together time with real people...

Puzzles
Board Games
Yard Games
Don't forget education!

In my university, in the middle of the lecture, the lecturer would ask us to whip out our smartphones to do a quick class quiz on Kahoot.
Kahoot! | Learning Games | Make Learning Awesome!

Boring class lessons turned into a whirlwind of adrenaline.:rofl::rofl:

G

Guest3722A

Facebook sent a doctor on a secret mission to ask hospitals to share patient data.

Facebook was in talks with top hospitals and other medical groups as recently as last month about a proposal to share data about the social networks of their most vulnerable patients.

The idea was to build profiles of people that included their medical conditions, information that health systems have, as well as social and economic factors gleaned from Facebook.

Facebook said the project is on hiatus so it can focus on "other important work, including doing a better job of protecting people's data."

This is what was going on in the background when then Cambridge Analytical debacle hit the news wires.

Facebook sent a doctor on a secret mission to ask hospitals to share patient data

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Not good for Facebook when iconic tech veterans leave

"SAN FRANCISCO — Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak told USA TODAY he's leaving Facebook out of growing concern for the carelessness with which Facebook and other Internet companies treat the private information of users.

"Users provide every detail of their life to Facebook and ... Facebook makes a lot of advertising money off this," he said in an email. "The profits are all based on the user’s info, but the users get none of the profits back."

Wozniak said he'd rather pay for Facebook than have his personal information exploited for advertising. And he heaped praise on Apple for respecting people's privacy."
This reminds me on Peter Thiel and Tim Ferris moving from Silicon Valley due to group think and some political issues.

I'm really confused on what exactly is going on over there. I thought the tech industry should be pretty united in the drive for innovation. Now reading the tech news is like watching a squabble, with party horns hooting in the background.

BTW, I am surprised that there's no thread here on the Peter Thiel departure from Silicon Valley. Is that issues toeing too much over the political redline?

Artie Bernaducci

Servant Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Apr 2, 2018
New Jersey
MJ, it is SO REFRESHING to hear TRUTH from someone who is independent enough not to give a shit about the opinions of others. Thanks for your creations!

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Not to mention dumb phones! I was waiting to see when somebody was going to come out with a nice dumb phone because a lot of us are over the smart phone thing. Then I saw this one: This beautifully designed 'dumb phone' can only make calls and send texts — and it might be the key to curing our addiction to apps

Please, someone in this forum make its competitor! All I want is a GNSS chip (in case I get kidnapped) and possibly a camera and then it's perfect!

DAMN! What a beautiful phone and solid concept.

I can't get behind the $250 price point, though. I guess you're really paying for the aesthetic, but it doesn't really work as a mass-market phone for people who simply want a lighter experience. Any neanderthal can buy a fully-equipped budget android smartphone for less (My Moto G from 2 years ago was ~$180).

I think the next best thing would be to sell a smartphone with a stripped-down Android OS build on it, specifically for people who want a lighter experience. Basically Android without GServices, App Store, and maybe 3-4 functions.

My grandmother bought a "Jitterbug" phone, which does something similar.
All they had to do was literally find a generic phone, package it with their stripped-down flavor of Android preloaded on it, and sell to old people:

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 1.43.29 PM.png

I can't find anyone else who does what I've just described (marketed to people who want a lighter smartphone experience) but if anyone has any thoughts, chime in.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.