The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cigar Afficionados in the House?

Brett Beckwith

Meat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 4, 2018
Iowa
If you ever get down to Tarpon Springs at the sponge docks there is a guy who sits in a little booth and hand rolls cigars. Awesome experience to just sit by the sponge docks and smoke one of his better than average hand rolled masterpieces.

In fact, I think I will go down there this afternoon.

I might have to invite you and your bottle of scotch over sometime.

I believe I know what person you're talking about. Last time I was there, I wasn't quite of an age to be smoking cigars yet, but next time I'm down in Florida I'll check him out!

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
Punch or cut. Discuss.

I had a punch for a few months (it broke) and I honestly enjoyed using it. Mainly because you never run the risk of getting pieces of the cigar on your tongue LOL. Other than that, the difference between a cutter and a punch is negligible to me as long as they are of good quality.

HOWEVER, after learning more about the proper way to smoke a cigar I realized that I was smoking them like a barbarian for years! The things that made the biggest difference in my smoke were:

1. Ashing only when I absolutely had to
2. Cutting only a tiny bit off (when using a cutter)
3. Only taking a puff every so often and enjoying it more
4. Keeping the cigar away from direct flame when lighting it (almost like roasting a marshmallow)

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Mainly because you never run the risk of getting pieces of the cigar on your tongue LOL

This is one of the main reasons I like a good punch.

That, and its easier to carry ( built into my torch ) than another cutter.

I also dont have to worry about the wrapper coming apart near the cut too.

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
This is one of the main reasons I like a good punch.

That, and its easier to carry ( built into my torch ) than another cutter.

I also dont have to worry about the wrapper coming apart near the cut too.

Honestly, just the fact that it’s built into your torch is awesome

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I find it a bit more harsh

I suppose it depends on the type of pipe. The couple I have tried from a friend were super mellow. One was a really long Gandalf style pipe and the other was more of a Sherlock pipe, with a double bend. By the time the smoke got to you, it was cooled down and mellow.

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
Since my last post in this thread I've probably tried 45 different cigars and am really starting to learn what I like.

My go to favorite is the H. Upmman Robusto by AJ Fernandez. They fairly strong and spicy. i just bought box of 20 for my humidor locker at my club.

I spent the the summer trying a lot of different cuts on a lot of different kinds of cigars and my current preference is a V-Cut using a table top cutter. I really like a punch too, but I've found that some cigars a punch just won't work on. The one I mentioned above. I've tried on 10 of them without a successful punch.

I joined my cigar lounge club room. It's two miles from my place and is really nice. The best part is the cost. It's $250 per month on the first, but you get $250 in store credit that can be used for cigars, accessories, anything from the bar, including tips. As a member you got a humidor locker and 20% off of cigar purchases.

I became a member for a few reasons.

1. Networking. I'm meeting a lot new people in a wide variety of professions. Programmers, Lawyers, Enterprise Sales People and my favorite... A retired engineer who is now a Santa Claus that travels and appears at large corporate events.

2. I go about about twice a week on average and have 1-2 cigars and 1-2 bourbons to relax/think. My average tab is $38 or $304 per month and before I didn't have a locker, discounts, or access to the members only lounge.

3. Finally. I enjoy it a great deal. I've spent so much of my slow lane life sacrificing and saying I can't afford something instead of figuring out how to afford it like I do today.

Soulrize

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 21, 2014
I still remember my best cigar being a Trinidad Robusto in cambodia . In the states, a torpedo white series Monte Cristo does the job for me. I did put on some weight drinking it with rum & coke . my choice of drink.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Undercrown Papas Fritas.
A quick one for a December in Chicago. Brrrrrrrrrr.
I think the Drew Estate/Undercrown guys are still going to events since they sold out to Swisher. Probably a contractual obligation. A really great Fastlane story if you ever get the chance to strike up a conversation.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I bought a box of FSG (Florida State Grown) as I really liked the sample I had, but several within the box ended up being wound too tight to un-smokable. I really hope they get their shit together as I would love to support local industry. The Tampa area used to be known as "Cigar City."

Fortune5ive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 24, 2017
New Jersey
Good man! I have the 1926 and the 1964 anniverserie aging right now.... Good taste my friend.

MJ you need a care package assembled by the cigar lovers on this forum. Unsure if the swisher sweets comment was joking or serious, but to even joke about SS means you are in great need of some guidance :p

I go into another dimension when I fire up. Love it! Lol

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Sad thing is that since Swisher bought Drew the quality of the legendary Feral Flying Pig has suffered.

Travesty.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
This thread is a microcosm of reality.

One of the richest guys in the room doesn't like to see his money burn.

It's all about the investment. A good cigar can spark the mind to action. I come off cigars highly motivated and with a clear head. No burning of money there! For $6 you can achieve greater results than many $500+ seminars ;)

BTW, I LOVED the cigar I had yesterday, and the chance to spend 20 minutes chatting with @Scot

That being said, the lasting after effects of cigar smoke in your mouth is gross.

Brushing my teeth a few times plus a little mouth wash was enough to buy me 24 hours until the residual was gone.

The cigar was awesome, hand rolled locally and would match up against any brands 4-5-6x as much.

However, if there was one reason I would never load up the humidor @Kak gave me, it's because I like my breath to be minty fresh.

Your subjective opinion. This is not objective. The after effect you define as "gross", I define as "immensely pleasurable". Maybe it's time to change your mindset. To achieve greatness one must first achieve cigar nirvana.

This is why the majority of the smoking I do is when the wife is out of town. I still haven't found a way to freshen up after a cigar. Tips greatly appreciated.

It was good seeing you too @Vigilante. I'm bringing those Robusto's with me to share with family up in NY this weekend.

Tip: get a different wife. :devil:

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Drew Estate and Tatuaje are my favorite brands! If you haven't had a tatuaje try one.....awesome cigar, awesome company.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Drew Estate and Tatuaje are my favorite brands! If you haven't had a tatuaje try one.....awesome cigar, awesome company.
@Mr.Chaos,

I've never had Drew Estate but concur on all fronts about Tatuaje. Delicious smoke. Had to chuckle when told "tatuaje" is tattoo in Spanish.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I think cigars are like craft beer. I had to ease my way into cigars starting with flavored sticks like the Drew estate java and java mint...then slowly into the stronger leafs.

If you like swishers look up drew estate java.....you'll love them, great morning or night smoke.
Java are the ones I usually bring him.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I had a few nice cigars on a recent trip to Brazil. Danneman brand. I enjoyed them so much that I looked into importing them for sale in the US. I contacted the company and they said they've already got an exclusive distributor in the US. Yet here I am unable to find them...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.