The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Certified LOSER living on mum's couch!! Gaming Addict looking to turn things around!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
This all looks promising!!

If anyone is less inclined computer-wise, I can help them fix electronics and setup websites.

(Good to note: I am close to Silicon Valley and San Francisco so there's lots of meetups for in-person entrepreneurship/coding/sales events! )

That inspired one more thought. Maybe check out freegeek or some volunteer group that helps worthy, low budget nonprofits to have a basic website and get the network printer running?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheOrchestrator

Freedom Fighter
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
@Cognitive Corgi
Such an exciting post to read. This is really awesome, man. You're definitely on to something. :)

Just remember, whatever you do, do it as quickly as possible, and do everything in your power to not look back. Eventually, you won't feel the pressure to do so that much anymore, since, as MJ put it, you will have "connected the feedback loop".

Cognitive Corgi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,475%
Jul 5, 2018
California
what is the mum doing?
Parents man. "Want whats best for you", or outright bad people?
OY! Leave my mum out of this, buddy. Thank you for your comment.

It's my own damn fault.
I squandered my own time.
Not here to paint a sob story or point fingers. Only to fix errors and correct my course.

If you were in my house I'd have smashed your laptop before you got to even 4 hours a day.

' I don't see how further interacting with a computer and the internet is corrective action. Put a hammer through that f*cking thing. '

I agree with you that eliminating my vice of gaming, "taking the needle out my arm cold turkey", is the way to go. The only challenge is that interacting with the internet is so crucial in today's day and age. If I go smashing the computer, there goes 400 dollars of potential profits gone. Not to mention if I want a job or business venture I'll need to create and send resumes or quickly contact folks.

And while "My son is addicted to online games, time to smash his things" may be a good move for getting me out the house, it's not a good move for intervention or solving addiction. It's well-meaning, but akin to " Ah, she's a hoarder huh? We'll just toss out all that garbage while she's at work! That stuff's all useless junk anyway! "

It's not solving the underlying triggers or the neurological fixations which created the hoarded junk/needle/games to be so desperately clinged to in the first place.

I've been cold turkey off gaming for over two weeks now as a former all-day everyday gamer so I'd say I'm on the right track. No PUBG tabs here.

Last edited:

Bulgano

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 12, 2017
Australia
@Cognitive Corgi

I know what you are going through. I spent ludicrous amount of time playing games and watching YouTube/Twitch.

The thing that helped me the most was a shift in mindset. You really need to assess how bad it is.
If you assess your gaming addiction as the worst it could possibly ever be, and you feel you have no self control, then I would agree with what others are saying which is that you should ditch the games. Store them, sell them, or just put them in a place where it is very awkward and time consuming for you to get to them.

When I was in your situation though, it's hard to really say what happened. But something just clicked in my head. My mindset changed. I suddenly realised how much time I was wasting and decided to put a stop to it.
Whenever it got tough and I felt the urge to play games, I would encourage myself not to by thinking thoughts like; “Get rich/successful first, and then you can play games all you like.”

It also helps to make some comparisons. I started doing a lot of Udemy courses and reading on a bunch of different subjects. Web development, VueJS, Node, Amazon, Marketing, Copywriting, and a bunch of books recommended on the fastlane bookstore. Some of the courses content was estimated at 10-12 hours.

When I had the urge to play games, I would compare and say; “What would I rather do? Play a mindless video game for 12 hours and realistically achieve nothing, or do a course and gain a vast amount of knowledge on a subject I previously had no/minor knowledge about?”

From there, the decision became easy and I haven't touched games majorly in around 5–6 months, yet my PC is still in the room next to me every single day. I still dabble from time to time, but we are talking 30–60 minute chill sessions once a month where I mainly just catch up with online friends and don't really game. Not my previous 12 hour no-life sessions every single day.

I think at the end of the day, it comes down to self control and how badly you want to achieve your dreams. So in my situation, I don't necessarily agree with some advice people have given here of; “Ditch your gaming friends, throw away your games, etc...”
I think it is perfectly doable to quit the addiction without doing those things, but it comes down to self control, and that is different for everyone.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I have never stood up for a damn thing in my whole life and I'm sick of it.
Getting halfway through Unscripted rekindled me in a big way. Now it's time to do something about it.

I'm almost 26. No major accomplishments in life. Pretty much lived as a basement-dweller.
You're looking at someone who spent time reading 100+ books as a way to action-fake away fears, all while doing nothing with the information.

Sure, I haven't sold anyone MLM snake oil or fallen prey to some time-for-money game, but my fears have kept me paralyzed from creating anything of value for others.

tl;dr severe gaming addiction:
Instead I slipped into a path of mindlessly numbing myself with video games. Runescape, Second Life, WoW, Smash Brothers, Maplestory, CS:GO, Overwatch, Hearthstone, Dota, Club Penguin (yes really), and my most active life-consuming fetish League of Legends, left me plugging into games for 8-14 hour days regularly for over a decade!! Not even because I was actively enjoying the games anymore, but because I needed some shallow sense of accomplishment.

The past 10 years have been:

" I haven't started yet, but it's due to some legitimate reason and certainly NOT because I'm scared to death and constantly bullshitting myself. It's certainly not because I haven't showered in literally three days and use all my spare time pretending to be an anime talking dog-person on Second Life or acting like hitting Platinum 1 ranking in my competitive game really means something. That can't be it.

I can't do this yet because [insert crappy justification here]. All the people who achieve are superstars who do not defecate and have never made mistakes. I'll park until I'm good enough, that way I can wait for the absolutely perfect time to ensure I never make any mistakes. "

That perfect time never come.
Only more procrastination. More fear. More regret. More missed oppurtunities to make a difference.
I'm getting older, which means have less time to act like I have time to spare.
This. ends. NOW.

I've made a huge jump recently and uninstalled every game I have.
Dusting off some of those useful books I'd read when I was taking zero action (Lean Startup/Dale Carnegie/Richest Man In Babylon/etc) and going to dead-focus on doing something with them.

My ultimate goal here is to educate myself out of incompetence and become successful by providing others genuine value first. I will leave my story here and be a positive influence to fellow gaming addicts by serving as an example that with hardwork almost ANYONE can rise from the ashes of mediocrity and reclaim life.
Welcome to the forum. Time to get moving than on changing your mindset, life style, habits, addictions, and making smart choices and actions. A 365 day a year choice to do something different, educate yourself, be physically fit, eat healthy, establish a peak performance brain, and be serious about your future. Your choices right now, determine your future. Good choice to be here.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
Another posibility is leveraging your gaming experience and become a developer.

If you succeed you'll make money.
If you fail you'll stop liking videogames.

In other words, channel your energy to produce instead of consuming.

Either way you'll learn some skills that can be used for other things.

John Walker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jun 14, 2018
Brazil
I have never stood up for a damn thing in my whole life and I'm sick of it.
Getting halfway through Unscripted rekindled me in a big way. Now it's time to do something about it.

I'm almost 26. No major accomplishments in life. Pretty much lived as a basement-dweller.
You're looking at someone who spent time reading 100+ books as a way to action-fake away fears, all while doing nothing with the information.

Sure, I haven't sold anyone MLM snake oil or fallen prey to some time-for-money game, but my fears have kept me paralyzed from creating anything of value for others.

tl;dr severe gaming addiction:
Instead I slipped into a path of mindlessly numbing myself with video games. Runescape, Second Life, WoW, Smash Brothers, Maplestory, CS:GO, Overwatch, Hearthstone, Dota, Club Penguin (yes really), and my most active life-consuming fetish League of Legends, left me plugging into games for 8-14 hour days regularly for over a decade!! Not even because I was actively enjoying the games anymore, but because I needed some shallow sense of accomplishment.

The past 10 years have been:

" I haven't started yet, but it's due to some legitimate reason and certainly NOT because I'm scared to death and constantly bullshitting myself. It's certainly not because I haven't showered in literally three days and use all my spare time pretending to be an anime talking dog-person on Second Life or acting like hitting Platinum 1 ranking in my competitive game really means something. That can't be it.

I can't do this yet because [insert crappy justification here]. All the people who achieve are superstars who do not defecate and have never made mistakes. I'll park until I'm good enough, that way I can wait for the absolutely perfect time to ensure I never make any mistakes. "

That perfect time never come.
Only more procrastination. More fear. More regret. More missed oppurtunities to make a difference.
I'm getting older, which means have less time to act like I have time to spare.
This. ends. NOW.

I've made a huge jump recently and uninstalled every game I have.
Dusting off some of those useful books I'd read when I was taking zero action (Lean Startup/Dale Carnegie/Richest Man In Babylon/etc) and going to dead-focus on doing something with them.

My ultimate goal here is to educate myself out of incompetence and become successful by providing others genuine value first. I will leave my story here and be a positive influence to fellow gaming addicts by serving as an example that with hardwork almost ANYONE can rise from the ashes of mediocrity and reclaim life.

Your problem is not gambling addiction ... I know what your problem is, and most of you here have not understood your problem, they are focused on your addiction to video games ...

He understood his problem @TheOrchestrator follow what he says ..

How do I know that?

His life is very similar to mine, I am also almost 26 years old, and I left the addiction in online games at around the age of 21, my entire adolescence was playing online games. Just like you, I'm shy and introverted, I've read hundreds of books, taken online courses and followed rich mentors, all about enrichment and entrepreneurship. I started all this at age 21, today with almost 26 I still did not take any TRUE ACTION, I just deceived myself that I was progressing when in fact I was wasting time ... I still have not got the change that I both want, and like our colleague That's it, you do not need more knowledge, you need to ACT. Why do not you and I still act?

Because we are afraid! and we seek to feel good reading more books and gaining more knowledge. You just need to act ON the knowledge you already have, you do not need to seek more FALSE ACTION at that time ....

Be brave!

I want to start a business, that's why I quit my job two years ago ... I do not know yet what business to start, I've already researched many business models, plus I think my MAIN mental blocking has not started nothing yet, was simply my goal set at age 21 ... the goal of becoming a billionaire, the youngest possible, maybe 35 years at the most.

This goal paralyzed me because I always wanted to start a single business that would make me a billionaire, so I would always automatically exclude ideas because they would not lead me to a business that would make me a billionaire .. that way I never started anything .. .

Last edited:

Pilot35

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
502%
Sep 2, 2016
The reason why gaming is so addictive is because it gives you a false sense of accomplishment and competency, for example when you complete a tough level/mission, when you level up, when you unlock more cool stuff, etc.

As a former gaming junkie myself, I don't think completely cutting off games will work. I just ended up finding myself redownloading and reinstalling them a week or two later.

What did work for me though is creating my own accountability system (a slightly modified version of Lighthouse's). I make it a point to complete at least 3 tasks for the day before I allow myself to play games, watch movies, or surf the web. Those tasks must take less than an hour to complete, and they must directly bring me closer to my customer's path.

After completing all 3 tasks and rewarding myself with games, they suddenly don't seem much appealing anymore to me. Soon, results (sales, customers, money) came pouring in. Let me tell you, the sense of accomplishment and competency felt from real-world results is NOTHING compared with the best video games have to offer.

My point is if you do something every day, you will eventually become good at it. And when you're good at it, you become compelled to do it again. When you're good at it and do it over and over again, winning becomes inevitable. What I did is simply change that "something" from video games to my business.

So OP, get started now. Right now. Force yourself if you have to. Do something every single day that brings you closer to your goals. Keep going and don't stop until the job is done.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Never been anywhere near ADDICTED but I love video games too.

Wish I could play now even, but there are only 24 hours in a day.

Treat each project you start as a game.

Open up your bank account. That's now your XP.

You are at level 0 right now.

You need level 6 to get ulti.

How much XP do you require to get to level 6? Only you can decide.

Reverse engineer to get your numbers for levels 1 to 5.

What's your level 25?

Just set some numbers and get going, if you overthink this, you're thinking too much.

Start a progress thread, choose a project, chronicle your journey from level 0 to level 1.

Decide whether you want to chronicle till level 6.

Then 25.

And drop your loser certification, you're a different person now, should you choose to, don't give yourself unnecessary labels that don't help you.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Start waking up early in the morning. The first thing that you do when you wake up is walk. Walk for 30 minutes. Overtimes increase your pace and start running. It has to be for 30 minutes.

Now go through your refrigerator and kitchen cabients. Get rid of all processed junk food. When you shop in a grocery store, shop through the perimeter of the store. This is where the dairy, meats and produce are at.(Except the cookies next to the produce. Stores are a contradiction putting cookies behind the produce section.) Eat meat, seafood, vegetables, nuts, seeds and oils. Ideally, you should have some sort of protein and vegetable with each meal.

Pick a time of day. This should an hour block for resistance training. Be it weight lifitng or calisthenics. Any sort of resistance training. Go ask any of the gym goers if you need help. They will help you.

After three months, go to the mall. Get one of the female associates to help you. They are more than willing to help because they love good looking guys. They will help style you. It's free styling advice.

Go to your barbershop and get a good styled haircut.

Go out there and start talking to people. Ask questions. FORM/FORD=Family, Occupation, Recreation, Dreams/Motivation. Really get to know people.

Start talking to women. They're everywhere; Bars, Coffee shops, grocery stores, music festivals etc. Just go up and , "Hey! How are you doing?" or "How's your day going?"

Read books. This will make you interesting. I've been doing 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. Doesn't always have to be self-help or business. It can be any genre. Though Romance Novels outsell all other genres combined. lol.

I know you can make it. I believe in you. As Andrew Ferebee from Knowledge For Men says, "Love the life you have while achieving the life of your dreams."

Matt Dassel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 15, 2018
Funny thing is I have a bunch of old colleagues from college and school who are playing video games, being distracted, thinking about travelling.

And it scares me how they think they should "wait" for something.

LaVanesse_23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 9, 2018
@Cognitive Corgi
Thank you for being brave enough to be honest. I can really sense the frustration. As someone who has broken the chains of severe gaming addiction (yes, completely), I know exactly what you are going through, so you really struck a nerve.

I'm just going to be as blunt as possible here, so the message is not lost: Yes, gaming addiction is very real. Just as real as heroine addiction. While your problem may have started with some bad decisions, it's now deeply embedded in your biology, and getting out of this is going to require some serious moves. No more books. The only way you are going to fight this is by taking MASSIVE DRASTIC action. I'm being dead f'ing serious here. And I mean do it without thinking. If you still have games in your house, give them away or throw them away. DON'T THINK. ALL OF THEM. Find someone that you trust, and tell them what you are doing, not so they can pat you on the back, but so they can hold you accountable to this. Make sure there is no way to install anything back during moments of weakness. Again, accountability is a huge help here. Secondly, go to your YouTube account and delete every channel that is directly or indirectly related to video games. Do this on all other social network accounts (Facebook, whatever). Don't stop there though. Go to your Google account if you have one, and access all of the data that Google accumulated from your online habits, to determine what type of ads to send you. Delete anything that would even HINT to Google that you are interested in video games. If that doesn't work, get a new Google account. And if there's anything you can think of that I haven't mentioned, yeah do that too. You need time away from all of this stuff, basically a detox. Your brain and body needs real proof that it can survive this. Also, tell yourself repeatedly throughout this process that you truly can be happy and satisfied without any of that crap.

If you have any friends that are hardcore gamers, drop them. You can't worry about them right now. For now, you just need to leave them behind. Your environment needs to change. Environment is huge. Go out and seek out meetups and groups of people who see life very differently and are seriously trying to better themselves. Don't worry about trying to impress these people. Just make friends and find as many ways as possible to help them. Don't ask for anything, just offer your help. Heck, if one of them can give you some work, all the better (gotta get a job, Bro!).

You are going to have to develop an active hostility and fear when it comes to this stuff. Yes, I know that this may sound a little extreme and irrational, but that's really what it's going to take. As you are doing all of this, remind yourself of how much of your life has been thrown away and how much of your time has been eaten by these quick-hit dopamine machines.

Over time, if you can hold out long enough, your mind will start to shift, and you'll begin to see things from outside of your addiction. Your thoughts and emotions will start to align themselves with the actions you've been taking. Your mind will start to catch up with your hands and feet, suddenly in congruence with the actions you are taking, providing you with more than enough reasons to stay motivated and keep moving.

If this doesn't work, do not hesitate to seek professional help. There are too many men and women out there that are fighting real gaming addiction on their own, when they really should have sought out a professional years ago.

I know that there's nothing about money or entrepreneurship in my post, but really, this is the first step before all of that. Good luck, and PM me any time. I'm rooting for you (seriously).

LaVanesse_23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 9, 2018
OMG.i I'm just new here and I read your comment just yesterday. Something shifted in me and since then, i have been doing all things I've been procrastinating for the past four months. Like yoga, learning, waking up early to do meditation. I'm not a gamer at all, but I applied your advice and it's working great for me.
The root of me procrastinating all these weeks was because I would get carried in my thinking. My time and willingness would fade just when I need it most.
thank you so much!

Andrew J.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 21, 2017
GREECE
I admire your courage to admit your situation publicly.

I think the best gift you can make to yourself is finding a job and move from your home as soon as possible.

When you can support yourself and pay the bills alone your life will change radically.

The best decision I made in my life was to leave my home (and the mentality of my family) at 19 years old.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I admire your courage to admit your situation publicly.

I think the best gift you can make to yourself is finding a job and move from your home as soon as possible.

When you can support yourself and pay the bills alone your life will change radically.

The best decision I made in my life was to leave my home (and the mentality of my family) at 19 years old.
For me, moving out of my parents was about personal responsibility. My mom is the kind loving overbearing kind. She feeds me. She gives me all this stuff. Ever since I've been living on my own. I cook for myself. I pay my own bills. Etc...

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
For me, moving out of my parents was about personal responsibility. My mom is the kind loving overbearing kind. She feeds me. She gives me all this stuff. Ever since I've been living on my own. I cook for myself. I pay my own bills. Etc...

Does your mom needs someone else to cook for, now that you moved out? Some days I get tired of this adult responsibility stuff...

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Does your mom needs someone else to cook for, now that you moved out? Some days I get tired of this adult responsibility stuff...
There's this old Ancient Greek story from Greek Mythology. One day Hercules is walking about in the gardens.

He's wondering to himself, "What should I do with my life? How should I live?" Then all of a sudden two Goddesses appear. The Goddess of Pleasure tells him, "Come with me. Your life will be easy and you will have all the fun in the world."

The Goddess of Happiness tells him, " You can go with her. She'll give you an easy care free pleasurable life. I will be honest. If you come with me. Your life will be full of labor and hard work. But at the end you will get to live among the gods."

At the end, he chooses the Goddess of Happiness because he knows that if he puts in the work, he will live among the gods.

"The right of independence cannot be separated from the responsibility of making good use of it"-Teddy Roosevelt

"Fortune may crowd a man’s life with fortunate circumstances and happy opportunities, but they will, as we all know, avail him nothing unless he makes a wise and vigorous use of them."-Frederick Douglas on the Self-Made Man

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wish it was possible to be as addicted to business as it is to games and other stuff.

That way no one would be struggling with this stuff so much.
I was about to say this.

Get addicted to taking action and getting results.

Example:

Get your first Google Ad running.

See it for yourself on Google. (Bejesus. I did that!)

Get your first ad impression - that isn’t you or your friends!

Get your first click.

Realise it wasn’t a click, but a *person* who visited your website! (Wow... did my ad appeal to someone enough to check out my site?)

Get your first email signup. (Whoa, someone wants to hear from me.)

Get your first sale. (WTF?!? Someone wanted to exchange their money for my product?)

Get your second sale. (It’s not a fluke!!)

Get 3 sales the week after.

Get 4 sales the week after.

Holy moly. Let’s see if we can get to 10 sales a week.

It’s just like a computer game.

You level up with experience.

You level up with points.

Same dopamine hits, but better for you.

Same dangers of letting it take over your life, but that’s where folks in this forum will help you figure out how to 10x without 10x’ing your hours.

It’s a new game with an infinite number of strategies and tactics, and only two rules:

1) Add value.

2) Get paid.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
I was about to say this.

Get addicted to taking action and getting results.

Example:

Get your first Google Ad running.

See it for yourself on Google. (Bejesus. I did that!)

Get your first ad impression - that isn’t you or your friends.

Get your first click.

Realise it wasn’t a click, but a *person* who visited your website! (Wow... did my ad appeal to someone enough to check out my site?)

Get your first email signup. (Whoa, someone wants to hear from me.)

Get your first sale. (WTF?!? Someone wanted to exchange their money for my product?)

Get your second sale. (It’s not a fluke!!)

Get 3 sales the week after.

Get 4 sales the week after.

Holy moly. Let’s see if we can get to 10 sales a week.

It’s just like a computer game.

You level up with experience.

You level up with points.

Same dopamine hits, but better for you.

Same dangers of letting it take over your life, but that’s where folks in this forum will help you figure out how to 10x without 10x’ing your hours.

It’s a new game with an infinite number of ways of playing, and only two rules:

1) Add value.

2) Get paid.
You just laid it all out, I'm so pumped I want go out and do this right now.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You just laid it all out, I'm so pumped I want go out and do this right now.
Excellent.

Now the danger is consuming instead of taking action.

You’re in luck though... gamers should be naturals at this.

By default a gamer would rather get started and figure it out as they go along. They don’t read the manual end-to-end before jumping into the game.

They don’t post questions in forums about how to complete level 10 before they’ve turned on the game.

Use your skills.

Use your natural tendencies.

Use your love of moving fast and failing, failing, failing till you get past the problem directly in front of you.

Use your desire to complete each task rather than cheating and taking shortcuts to the end level.

The greatest game is the game of life.

Computer games pale by comparison.

Now go go go!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I think it's pretty clear that some of the wealthiest, most successful business people of all time were or are addicted to growing their businesses. Bill Gates is an example that comes to mind. After a certain point, it seems, it's mostly about the thrill of the ongoing chase of higher levels of business. The "leveling up" process, scored in dollars, as an end in itself.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My guess would be because you haven't had your feedback loop connected and then tickled. That's how it starts.

Video games connect feedback loops with reinforcement heuristics ... gold, levels, fake achievements, finding solutions, fixing failure.

Real life is the same way ...

It's just isn't as easy as pressing "reset" while failing anonymously from the comfort of your couch. You gotta keep pressing until the loop is connected.
It's as @MJ DeMarco describes above.

You need to create a feedback loop. You need to take action and get results. Small actions, small results, build momentum.

This is why everyone implores people to just . start . already.

Start at the beginning. Do the first things first.

Help someone. Get feedback. Keep going.

Further reading/viewing:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
My guess would be because you haven't had your feedback loop connected and then tickled. That's how it starts.

Video games connect feedback loops with reinforcement heuristics ... gold, levels, fake achievements, finding solutions, fixing failure.

Real life is the same way ...

It's just isn't as easy as pressing "reset" while failing anonymously from the comfort of your couch. You gotta keep pressing until the loop is connected.
Stop giving us all the answers!!

kcaps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 4, 2018
Germany
Screw the dopamine!

I was gaming in moderation before I found this forum (5 days ago) and I quit cold turkey, formatted my PC and only installed the stuff which is needed. Before moderation I played all day long.

- around 4k hours in Path of Exile (Counting from the characters alive, not counting the deleted characters)
- around 2k hours in Diablo3
- 1.5k hours in Rocket League
- and several hundred/thousand hours in games from my steam library.

Fastlane and MJ's books changed me and my view.

If it helps, there is a little script for blocking game clients and access to websites:

It is nothing special, but it does its job.
Script: *click*
Save content to a file with .ps1 extension (Need to show file extensions on windows: How to Make Windows Show File Extensions)
Open Powershell as admin, navigate to the folder where you saved the file, e.g.:
cd C:/Users/foobar/Desktop
and just execute with:
./blocker.ps1 (Or whatever you called the file)

After that you wont have access to steam, battle.net, LoL, etc. For both website and clients.
ead1ITD.png

Might be too technical I guess?!
There is also some paid solutions, such as: FocusMe has the best features to block websites and apps
Which might better, because you can't bypass it.

G

Guest58302

@Cognitive Corgi
Any updates?
Did you choose your Fastlane vehicle? How are you working towards it?
Did you get a part time job? Or are you hustling?
How are those Toastmaster sessions going for you?

One question that I don't have to ask is: Are you still refraining from playing video games?
I'm confident that you've kicked your addiction to the curb.
Hope to hear from you!

randomdude

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 16, 2018
You only lose when the game is over, you're not a loser, you just started a game down by 10 points, you have 3 quarters left to win it =)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...