The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you recommend a good website host?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I currently use Hostmonster, and they've pissed me off one last time.

There have been other issues, but the most annoying is that they lock you in to a 3 year contract without really telling you, and then at the end of the three years, they raise the price you pay by 2-3 times, also without telling you.

I'm looking for a host for my wordpress-based company website. It needs to be:

Reasonably priced ($50/month or less)
Support Wordpress
fast (hostmonster on shared hosting was SLOW - based on what Google says)
customer-oriented - having straightforward pricing that they don't lie about would be a good start.
etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Blue Host

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
Forget all those hosts...

I use http://x10hosting.com

Have used them since I was in freshman year HS...thats 9-10 years ago!

3.95$ a month :) unlimited everything...just check it out, its not some BS hosting company.

They even give you free backups, set very little limits, can but domains with them, can get your registrant/whois data hidden for free. Support is always there within 24 hours you'll get help, (last time I had an issue with one of my sites, even though its not their job- they fixed it!- FOR FREE....

I do not own the company, I get nothing by promoting them- but I can't say anything wrong about them...

They support *everything* literally.

Give them a try. And tell me you love um.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I run xx,xxx clicks a day or more, spend $x,xxx/day in traffic on average
and a LiquidWeb VPS saved my life many times over

Pros: Epic 24/7 telephone support, easy use, can get almost any configuration, no b.s charges
Con: $79/mo

Well worth it to me

I was with Beyondhosting but it really went down the drain after a while

And remember to use a CDN (my fav is www.cloudflare.com) with everything

Hope that helps

Kshatriya

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 13, 2014
Where am I?
My traffic is limited and I've been using StableHost, they offer great service. I didn't find any problems from their side. They fixed my site for me when I messed it up a little bit.

Last edited:

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
The more I use digital ocean the more and more I like it. I don't run nearly the traffic some of you do, but its a breeze to start deploying code to in just a few minutes. Super easy to spin up a new server or updgrade as well.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I use Vidahost.

They have the best customer service of any company I have ever used ever.

If ever you have a question the support team get back to you in under 30 mins and do everything for you instead of telling you how to fix things etc.

--

On a side note its crazy what good CS does for word of mouth marketing.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
AWS EC2 + Route 53 + Cloudfront + S3 = :joyful:

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
Rosehosting has been awesome with their support. However note that I use their managed virtual private servers, haven't used the shared hosting but I don't seem to think why it should be worse.

Here is a link with my affiliate link: Rosehosting.com
Here is a link without my affiliate link: rosehosting.com

Also about some recommendations about other hosts mentioned in this thread: Stablehost was pretty decent when I used it. Tiny experience with small orange, was good as well.

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
I used HostGator for my website, didn't have any issues with them.

drifter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 10, 2016
Canada
I have been using Greengeeks for quite a few years. Competitive pricing, great CS, and they use green power.

I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
AWS EC2 + Route 53 + Cloudfront + S3 = :joyful:
I'm interested in knowing more about AWS and other cloud hosting as well (such as Google's less expensive and simpler cloud). I currently use Inmotion, which has been amazing and super fast, but not cost effective for the level of traffic we currently have.

Yìlì

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 22, 2016
Belgium
I see many people recommending shared hosting or managed hosting.
In the interest of keeping your monthly cost low, you could opt for unmanaged hosting and do this yourself.

What you would be hosting from is called a VPS (Virtual Private Server).
You can get one at Digital Ocean for $5 a month. It's cheap for what's essentially your own little computer.
Unless you run a really successful website, this plan will suffice. (You can run up to 200 concurrent visitors and still have load times under 2 seconds). If you've got more visitors, well, pick a more expensive plan ;)
Do check for coupon codes, most of the time you'll get 10 dollars for free so you can try their service.
(You can only add a coupon after providing payment info)
If you still have acces to an educational emailadres, get the Github Pack, a 50 dollar coupon for Digital Ocean is included.
(I also love Ramrode, but DigitalOcean is a bit more user friendly)

Now comes the great part. Not kidding, it really is great.

You get this VPS. See it as a computer. It has Linux on it, Ubuntu 14 to be exact.
Now, instead of you going through a long and complicated proces of installing all the applications necessary to make this into a web server, you just type in 2 lines of code. That's it.
You do it with a script called EasyEngine. Go to the site, it has all the info you need in the FAQ and DOCS.

Oh and the great part?

It installs Wordpress on your server and configures your server for speed.
Like, crazy fast speed. They've done all the research, they know what works.
You get a super fast Wordpress website hosted, for only $5 per month.

In their latest update they also added SSL support by LetsEncrypt.
So you get an https website for free. With just one line of code.

As you might have noticed, I love this.

Now, I wouldn't recommend this to a non technical person who has never heard of Linux, doesn't understand what a server is or screams at the sight of a computer.
But since you're looking for a different hosting provider yourself, I'm guessing you're capable enough.
Even if you've never done anything like this, it's worth it if you don't mind learning a little.

If there is any interest, I could type out a little start to finish guide, but really, there's not much to it.

TL;DR: DigitalOcean VPS with EasyEngine

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
I have a wordpress site and use freshsites.co.uk. Have always found them very responsive if I have a issue with the website.
Would recommend

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Blue Host
Forget what I said about bluehost. Horrible support, hold times, misleading offers and truly hidden bombs that will destroy your email.

AWESOME.

Think that I'm going to switch

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Blue Host
Forget what I said about bluehost. Horrible support, hold times, misleading offers and truly hidden bombs that will destroy your email.

AWESOME.

Think that I'm going to switch

Tony Tony

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Aug 16, 2015
Canada
Nothing better than Liquidweb. I dont want to chat with hosting support or wait forever when there are issues.

Pros

- can get a native english speaking support rep on the phone in under 60 seconds
- everything is in house so they can always go and reboot the server in person...no outsourcing
- they will even install and troubleshoot 3rd party scripts for you if asked

Cons

- price - looking at minimum $70-80 per month for anything decent, however what is your TIME and aggravation worth?

An average dinner for 2 where I am is at least $100-150 and I cant spend 50-75% of that to run my business?

Kshatriya

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 13, 2014
Where am I?
I recently came to a need of using a web hosting service to host my "Under maintenance" site, since I messed up everything when I tried to migrate a successfully running site from local WAMP to shared linux server with cPanel hosting interface.

So I surfed through all the web pages I could find in the time, and I finally decided to go for DigitalOcean. I've got many advantages over the previous one. So I just migrated the live site into that virtual server instead of just hosting "under maintenance" site there.

Advantages I have now:
1. Server located much closer to my location (DO offers Singapore, while the other's closest one was in Netherlands) - ping time has come down to <28.5% of the previous one.
upload_2016-2-27_21-4-29.png

2. Free space has come up from 7 GB to 20 (let's say only 17 usable space).
3. Complete SSD: Super fast - server takes less than 10 seconds to reboot!
4. Previous host had a longer Server Response Time, which Google PageSpeed insights was always complaining about.
... and many more.

Of course, there are many things that you won't get on a VPS, which you would on a cPanel-based web hosting service. Such as e-mail boxes, few-click script installations, graphical UI for hosting management etc. In my case, none of these mattered, because I use Zoho for e-mail and was comfortable with configuring apache, mysql and php on Ubuntu server.

I'm most likely to continue using digitalocean VPS service(free dedicated IP address) for $60, rather than renewing the shared hosting plan, which costs about ~$32($12/yr more for dedicated IP address, and $24/year more for SSH access). If you have a flair of "getting along with any technology", I strongly believe this is worth in every way.

If you cannot do it yourself, I personally believe that paying someone on fiverr or somewhere like that would be worth it. I didn't need to use cPanel after setting everything up and before the migration to VPS.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-27_21-4-19.png
    upload_2016-2-27_21-4-19.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 9

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads