The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you recommend a "kanban board" online service?

Godmode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jan 3, 2021
Good morning forum,
I have recently discovered what a kanban board is.
It's a board where you can put jobs, customers, tasks, or whatever you want in different colums, named "inbox", "pending", "doing", "done", etc, so that you can keep track of your job statuses.
It can be a physical board or it can be a software.

This kanban board has been a godsend for my work. Now I can manage my work without having to print anything and 4-hour workweek my way to Florence. Okay maybe not, but now I can share my work with other employees (especially since we're all working remotely due to covid) and search via ctrl+f any job I'm looking for, as opposed to searching for a job document in a huge pile of papers.

Right now I'm using Pipefy. It has a great UI but it's a bit lacking in functionality, and the pro membership doesn't help much.

What kanban board online website can you recommend?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Trello, Basecamp, and Monday were the ones that I worked with and liked. I worked with several others that I didn't like.

There are a million kanbans out there. Too many to list. Just choose one and stick with it. Don't hop between softwares.

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia

I use Asana for both my day job and my business. I like it and the phone app is also good. It's free, so keep in mind that "you are the product". I agree with try a couple and just pick one

Godmode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jan 3, 2021
I use Asana for both my day job and my business. I like it and the phone app is also good. It's free, so keep in mind that "you are the product". I agree with try a couple and just pick one
Thank you. Can you explain the "you are the product" part? Sorry I don't get it

Edit: I think I get it, it's because the service is free so it makes you wonder if they have a shady business behind it, like selling users personal data..?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them all and see what I prefer

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Edit: I think I get it, it's because the service is free so it makes you wonder if they have a shady business behind it, like selling users personal data..?

Asana makes its money off of subscriptions. It's freemium, not really free.

It's unknown whether they sell user data. Never rule it out, though, especially if the EULA explicitly requires you to agree to let them do so.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Good morning forum,
I have recently discovered what a kanban board is.
It's a board where you can put jobs, customers, tasks, or whatever you want in different colums, named "inbox", "pending", "doing", "done", etc, so that you can keep track of your job statuses.
It can be a physical board or it can be a software.

This kanban board has been a godsend for my work. Now I can manage my work without having to print anything and 4-hour workweek my way to Florence. Okay maybe not, but now I can share my work with other employees (especially since we're all working remotely due to covid) and search via ctrl+f any job I'm looking for, as opposed to searching for a job document in a huge pile of papers.

Right now I'm using Pipefy. It has a great UI but it's a bit lacking in functionality, and the pro membership doesn't help much.

This gold thread recommends trello. I only read it yesterday so I yet to try the system but it looks promising

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I use Jira, and like it. Its good for software project management.

There are two different ways you can set up a project in Jira: traditional and new. Traditional is intended for large organizations - you could easily (well, with a fair amount of setup, but the system can handle it) run very large software projects in it - think hundreds or thousands of developers. New - much more streamlined and easier to use.

I say this because the new version is fairly recent, so people only familiar with the traditional project style in Jira may say 'Jira is too complicated.' Its true, but only if you use the old style of project.

mill0x

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Oct 21, 2019
Rio de Janeiro
I have just researched basically the same thing a few weeks ago, and I just moved my company to ClickUp.
It's a great tool for collaborating and managing a team accross multiple projects, with great commenting and notifications functionality, and a bit of everything you might ever need.

But, from what you said I am not sure if what you need is more "project / task / team management" or just "information organization". If you're looking for more of the latter, I'd recommend Notion.

In Notion you can organize all kinds of information in many different ways, and visualize them in Lists, Boards, Tables, Calendars, etc. If you want a simple kanban board that you will customize with as many statuses and views as you want, it's great.

Notion is built to organize all kinds of information, and it's what I used before ClickUp for managing my whole company (around 15 people in a game studio). I only moved away from Notion for project management, since I started delegating more of those tasks and I wanted something more specific for tasks instead of data in a broad sense. I still use Notion for everything else - financial tracking and planning, writing docs, company wiki, etc.

Godmode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will give Notion, Asana, Jira and Trello a try and see what fits the most with my work. You have all been genuinely helpful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.