The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can an entrepreneur ever own a dog?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I got Skipper around a year ago. He is a chihuahua so he basically nuts but he chills out most of the day and then is active early morning and evening.

Not any issues with work - it’s great to have a dog around and it’s a lot of fun. Are there times I wish I didn’t have a dog? Ya sometimes but that is far outweighed by how funny and enjoyable he is.

I could probably get more work done without him but whatever - I always wanted a chihuahua and Skipper makes me laugh all the time.

View attachment 39899View attachment 39900View attachment 39901
O M GAWWWDDD that first picture. 10/10 worth it.
I’m guessing it will depend on how do you think your days might look like. It is true, they are like toddlers but for 10+ years. But like Fox said in his way and now comes the analogy, people have kids and get stuff done right?
Also it might force you to take a break a couple times a day and go for a walk.

Adopt don’t Shop moment: Adopt a 1-5 y/o buddy he’ll already come chiller and potty trained. If you get a breed, get a average to low energy one so they’ll be chill and not need tons of exercise and stimulation.

cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
right now I'm committed to preparing for my first business so I know I can't get a dog now. but I really love them and I wonder if I will ever have the time to have one. even after some success you will always be committed to scaling your business to the next level unless you get lucky enough to sell it for a lot of money in a short time and you won't want to sacrifice the time and chances for a dog. will I realistically have to give up getting one at least for quite a long time as I chose to live the ambitious life of an entrepreneur?

edit: you won't be working every single seconds awake obviously but since, unlike any other hobbies or relationships, having a dog is one of the most time and attention consuming(especially because I'm single living alone) and especially you can't quit it as you please for 10+ years I was curious specifically on this, rather than 'having a hobby in general as an entrepreneur', because I know they definitely can.
When I was on the road with my career, I didn't have any pets or house plants. I had a townhouse in a beautiful complex -- so NO exterior maintenance issues. I was a single woman with grown children. I didn't even have an assistant or group of secretaries and the corner office up the street as I had in the past. I loved it.

Now I'm retired. I have a loving husband, an 80 pound service dog, multiple businesses, an office that I man just about every day, and a lot of people to care for.
Go figure.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
right now I'm committed to preparing for my first business so I know I can't get a dog now. but I really love them and I wonder if I will ever have the time to have one. even after some success you will always be committed to scaling your business to the next level unless you get extremely lucky to sell it for a lot of money in a short time and you won't want to sacrifice the time and chances for a dog. will I realistically have to give up getting one at least for a while as I chose to live the ambitious life of entrepreneurs?
You can have pets. I would make sure you have your own house and a yard. Big dogs in apartments don't work out well. Little dogs perhaps. It also depends on your situation. Some of them take their dogs with them to their businesses, and some leave them at home. How many hours are you gone? If more then 8-10 hours it is too long for them to be inside by themselves. I had a dog that chewed the bathroom door out when I went to the fire works.

Some individuals leave their dogs home for to long. They end up chewing up the furniture, the carpet, the toys, and get destructive if no one is ever home for longer then I mentioned. They need to go out and run, play, and speed around the yard, dog park, or beach.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
We got a dog in December, he's definitely the most challenging dog I've ever had. He's insanely smart, very hyper, and has some serious separation anxiety.

If I was alone, I'm really not sure. But I have someone else by my side who can assist with watching him. I'd imagine there are some parents here who are successful who might laugh at this, since having a kid is much more effort I'm sure. So yes, if entrepreneurs can be successful while having kids, you can be successful owning a dog. Not to mention, there are plenty of dogs that are pretty independent, low maintenance, and just want to chill.

And I absolutely love my dog, so that's an added bonus. Money is nice, sure.. but he provides so many happy moments.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
True, people who are NOT interested in entrepreneurship, usually add all or most of those things together. Not sure if you find a lot of them from this forum though.

I add all of those things together with the exception of video games, politics, and friends. Also replace the dog with a cat. It's probably different for each person, but for me, having that extra time has always ended up with me wasting that extra time.

Something I've learned about myself over the last year or so is that I perform best under a boatload of pressure. Too much work. Too many responsibilities. Deadlines. All of that shit.

It's like Ab Ripper X..."I hate it... but I love it."

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
wow actually that was the no.1 breed in my mind. perfect size, no shed, insanely smart. my future dog will definitely be the standard poodle :)

Wasn't expecting that as most people laugh at me when I mention I'm a poodle guy. I've actually only had one dog my entire life and it was the perfect black standard poodle. Keep him shaved like the first pic here and not all foo foo like the second pic.

Attachments

• standardpoodlesf6.jpg
    standardpoodlesf6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 6

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
To be fair, the OP didn't mention plants.

The "plants are stress" guy is the same one who thinks dogs are a tradeoff from working hard, wives slow you down, watching sports isn't good, daily restaurant orders are great but only for him, Tesla's are a waste until you have a $700k net worth, and this thread is a landfill waste of brain power but he'll still write 500 word responses.

@Seamster is the beating heart of this thread. I'd transfer rep just on principle. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I need more Seamster on all my threads.

Haha, man, and I've only posted twice! And if you need more of me in your life then I'm doing something wrong. I'll have to find another thread with guys with less-thick skin to terrorize! :)

In all honesty I come from a place where many people are poor. Many leave in search of fortune. Eventually, I bit the bullet to get a job in the big city so I could make more money ($70k). There, I worked with 26 year olds who never had their first job until they were 22-23. Who was the best worker in the place? I was. I grew up knowing that hardwork is important. I was promoted because I was more grateful to have this job than the others (who felt they deserved this job). (Note, I'm a Gen Y Millennial [1978-1989 birth] and most of my co-workers were Gen Z Millennials [1990-2000]. I did somewhat notice that the workers in their mid-30s were better workers, but I don't know if this can be attributed to age or generation. For me personally, it was likely neither but my place of birth.)*

Sooo, I'm used to to people disagreeing with what I say. The president of our company might have made $150k and the rest of us made $60-80k, but only I and the super cheap Chinese guy who lived with his aunt had a net worth of over $250k. And only probably 3-4 total had a net worth of over $100k and that was equity in their homes. So, every 2 weeks the Chinese guy and I would laugh because we always saw a brand-new leased vehicle in the parking lot. I mean, these people were bringing home $3000 per month and spending $600 (+$150 insurance) to buy a Lexus or BMW. And guess who was the bad guy recommending that they get a 5 year old Lexus? Me. People don't want my help but I feel like a bad guy if I don't give it. No friends? Oh well. At least I sleep well knowing I tried to be helpful, even though not one wants my help. I guess I'm not as handsome as Dave Ramsey :)

Finally, the plants and restaurants are just examples. I could have used a pet toad and going to the gun range. Most people treat examples as true situations and fail to understand that examples should be related to dozens of situations in your own life. Plant, dog, wife, kid....all of these can and do cause certain people stress and force them to use up time and money. I am not wrong here. Although my way of writing/talking frequently rubs people the wrong way. I wish this didn't happen I just want to fit in here and learn and help others.

Wasting brain power is kind of a joke about the humor of this thread. Waste? This thread? Probably. But I'm enjoying it. And yeah, a Tesla is the absolute biggest example these days because people are buying them to save money. It's comical to me. Remember I said I worked at a company in the big city where people were buying cars? Well, it was an automotive company and our job was to reduce costs thereby increasing profits. Huge spreadsheets with all these calculations is what we did for the company. So it's amazing that so few of us did this in our own lives.

And my co-workers laughed at me. Yet they still sit at those goddamn desks from 9-5 Monday through Friday. I'm semi-retired after only 5 years. The criticism makes me stronger!

*See Not Everyone Gets a Trophy book for Millennial descriptions

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
You are so weird.

Wife, kids, pets, family, friends - all bring joy. Life isn’t all about business. I have a business to pay for my enjoyment of life.

I agree on ignoring “news” that shit is depressing.

to the OP, whether you think you can or you think you cannot - you are right.

I find it mind-blowing when people can't accept others don't want to have kids or get hitched...but got a hunch Johnny Boy takes the plunge and gets hitched by 30.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
I ended up getting the poodle in my life from a former relationship and she would take care of the shaving as she was an animal trainer so up her alley. It was interesting as the dog spent its whole life in Hawaii so made sense to shave as so hot, but when we moved to So Cal it got cold in the winter and we let his hair grow out a bit as he was shivering so much.
ah I got it thank you. I'm already so excited thinking of my future SP haha. I'll have to work very hard to make it asap.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
:happy:

love that Norm - RIP.

And

I agree this thread is awesome.

@genesisk5 just keep an eye out for a rescue that is at least mostly SP for when you are working on your own terms and can hang with the dog while you work.

Trust your heart.

And thanks for asking. So great to see the best friends of many who post here regularly.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
:happy:

love that Norm - RIP.

And

I agree this thread is awesome.

@genesisk5 just keep an eye out for a rescue that is at least mostly SP for when you are working on your own terms and can hang with the dog while you work.

Trust your heart.

And thanks for asking. So great to see the best friends of many who post here regularly.
thanks! I will definitely do that. and as a foreigner who's English is not on the native level I always had kind of an anxiety thinking that I might be trolling every time I post a thread but it feels so good and relieving to hear someone saying my thread is awesome and even thanking for having posted it. thank you too, sincerely.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
right now I'm committed to preparing for my first business so I know I can't get a dog now. but I really love them and I wonder if I will ever have the time to have one. even after some success you will always be committed to scaling your business to the next level unless you get lucky enough to sell it for a lot of money in a short time and you won't want to sacrifice the time and chances for a dog. will I realistically have to give up getting one at least for quite a long time as I chose to live the ambitious life of an entrepreneur?

edit: you won't be working every single seconds awake obviously but since, unlike any other hobbies or relationships, having a dog is one of the most time and attention consuming(especially because I'm single living alone) and especially you can't quit it as you please for 10+ years I was curious specifically on this, rather than 'having a hobby in general as an entrepreneur', because I know they definitely can.

When I consulted for Amazon, they followed the lead of their founder and brought their dogs to the office regularly.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hmmm... I am not sure this is such a great idea. There is a post about watering plants being "the kind of stress I don't need". Poor f*cking dog will die.
People get this weird idea in their head about rich people act (that’s totally false), and proceed to embody that while having $13 in their bank accounts.

Just water the damn plants! Hahaha

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I suggest some of y'all in this thread read "Let My People Go Surfing."
Yvon Chouinard got into business because it supported his lifestyle (selling climbing equipment out of his car), not the other way around.
It's possible, people.

Entrepreneurship in America is magic.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think @biophase is big into his dogs.

We’re thinking of getting a dog.

Do you think there’s a entrepreneur anywhere in the world with a dog?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

NeVzSvH.gif

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Redacted to protect my dogs' privacy ;)

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
right now I haven’t even launched my business so I have to work at a job during the day and prepare for my business in the evening. I even live alone so I don’t think I can right now. but maybe in the near future when my business gets stable that I can quit my job and have some time for a dog :) I really want one with all my hear though.

Get a standard poodle, no shedding, smart as hell. Sure you will look funny with it, but they are also bad a$$ and will protect you.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
Get a standard poodle, no shedding, smart as hell. Sure you will look funny with it, but they are also bad a$$ and will protect you.
wow actually that was the no.1 breed in my mind. perfect size, no shed, insanely smart. my future dog will definitely be the standard poodle :)

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
Wasn't expecting that as most people laugh at me when I mention I'm a poodle guy. I've actually only had one dog my entire life and it was the perfect black standard poodle. Keep him shaved like the first pic here and not all foo foo like the second pic.
exactly! I just like the objective traits of the SP not because of that foo foo looks. I actually hate that so I will get mine like the first pic like you did. but my color of choice is white haha idk why but I like white most. such a coincidence to meet a same minded SP guy here haha. btw will it be maintainable by myself at home to keep it like the first picture?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
exactly! I just like the objective traits of the SP not because of that foo foo looks. I actually hate that so I will get mine like the first pic like you did. such a coincidence to meet a same minded SP guy here haha. btw will it be maintainable by myself at home to keep it like the first picture?

I ended up getting the poodle in my life from a former relationship and she would take care of the shaving as she was an animal trainer so up her alley. It was interesting as the dog spent its whole life in Hawaii so made sense to shave as so hot, but when we moved to So Cal it got cold in the winter and we let his hair grow out a bit as he was shivering so much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.