The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a Multimillion Dollar Company

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

daldad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 6, 2017
Utah
Hi Fastlaners,

I’m new to the forums but have had fun reading through a few threads. I’d like to share some of my goals and my progress up to this point. I hope that people can learn from my experiences (successes and failures) and I can learn from others.

I’m 26, married, a father of two awesome daughters (1 and 3) and I’m starting my 3rd year of dental school (4 years total). I’ll finish dental school in May of 2019. I’ll graduate with $170,000 in debt (well below the average for dentists, but I know you are all still thinking, “holy crap!” . . . or other 4 letter words).

While earning my bachelors degree I got excellent grades and was able to get into a competitive dental school. I watched the occasional Netflix, played the occasional phone game (Clash of Clans usually) and was cruising my way through life.

About a year ago, I had a life changing moment. I was a year and a half into dental school and I spent most of my free time watching TV and playing phone games. I was driving home from school one day and had a strong thought, “you’ve been playing Clash of Clans for 3 years now, and you’ve wasted SO MUCH TIME. You’ve spent 3 years building your fake village, earning fake gold, and winning fake battles that mean absolutely NOTHING in real life. If you would have spent as much time preparing for your dang future as you have playing this worthless game, you could have already done amazing things! It’s time you stop playing your piece of crap game and get to work.” I instantly (yes, while driving) deleted the game.

I had already tried to quit playing the game before and failed. It was fun and addicting. I was good at it, I had a *fake* responsibility to my *fake* clan. It’s embarrassing for me to even write this. I have to admit, my wife HATED the game and hated when I’d play it. I would try to play it when she wasn’t around, but occasionally she’d see it and I could tell it made her upset . . . and rightfully so! Worthless POS game.

When I had that moment in my car, everything changed—everything. It was a moment like MJ’s limo snowstorm experience. After that moment, I dove in head first. I started listening to dental business podcasts, and one thing kept leading to another. I found an online forum for dentists and found a specific private group that was for ambitious students who wanted to learn business and be ultra-successful. That group led me to find a few threads started by an incredibly bright business-minded dentist who blew away the status quo and documented his entire experience, much like some of you guys here in these forums. I read all of his experiences and holy crap, I learned a ton! I made a list of every business book he recommended and have been adding to the list whenever someone would mention one. To spare you all some details, I’ve now attended seminars, listened to hundreds of hours of podcasts, read more than 20 business books (and continue to read every day), and made some INCREDIBLE connections. I started a FB mastermind group last month for dental students to help them learn business and now have over 2000 people in the group (growing every day). I’ve been interviewed on 2 different podcasts now because of the group, and because of the podcast interviews I have developed even more relationships.

Now for what I plan on doing in the future. I wanted to hear your opinions on my options. My ultimate goal is to have sufficient income rolling in, disconnected from me working, which allows my family and me to spend our time doing whatever we want.

Option 1 - Right after dental school, move to an area with a big need for a dentist (my wife and I are willing to move just about anywhere) and purchase or startup a dental practice in that area. Grow the practice to the point where it’s profiting $500-800k. This will take 1-2 years. Continue making $500-800k for a few years, living simply, saving, paying off student and practice loans, and have a large chuck of money which I can then use for entrepreneurial pursuits of my choosing (build/buy more dental practices, real estate, build other businesses, etc.)

The downsides -
-This model revolves around me being there, doing dentistry.
-I can’t step away from the business and still have it produce that much.

The upsides -
-$500-800k per year is a lot of money.
-This option is less risky than the other option and less stressful.
-With this option, the dental practice equity will grow significantly and will be worth at least $1,000,000. I could sell the practice after a few years.

Option 2 - Right after dental school (and even before I finish), start building what’s called a Dental Services Organization (DSO). It’s a large company made up of multiple dental offices that are centrally run and operated.

The downsides -
-Potentially more stress and harder on my family
-This takes MUCH MORE coordination and focus than the previous option. Relationships with lenders, attorneys, consultants, other dentists, CPAs, dental practice brokers, etc. are so important, and it’s hard for people to take you seriously as a student. It takes a lot of work.
-It’s more difficult, but like MJ has said, opportunities that are harder produce better results.

The upsides -
-Being able to negotiate lower supply and equipment costs
-A higher valuation of each individual office compared to a single office that’s not part of a DSO (like in Option 1). If the practice in Option 1 was part of a DSO, it would sell for around $2.5 million instead of $1 million.
-Having more passive income opportunities that aren’t dependent on myself doing dentistry.
-Building a company which I could sell for a lot of $. I almost definitely wouldn’t own the entire company, but even if I owned 25% of it, and it was made up of 20 dental practices, each valued at $2.5 million, the company would sell for $50 million and I would walk away with $12.5 million.

Neither option will be easy. With both options I will be providing value to patients . . . I’m going to ensure that over-the-top customer service is the top priority in each dental practice.

I’m not looking for someone to tell me which option to choose, but I’m curious . . . based on the upsides and downsides, which would you choose?

-Daldad

PS - The Millionaire Fastlane and Uscripted are the best books I’ve read on business and entrepreneurship. They changed my mindset completely. Thank you @MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If you want either of these to happen your best bet is not spending 2-3 hours of your day writing mental masturbation and waiting for others to tell you which path is best. If your P.S. statement is true, then there's no need to poll an audience of strangers about your life choices. Decide which one makes the most sense for you. Go down that path. The best one is always the one that works.

Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Can we take a minute to talk about these proclamation threads? I feel like we've seen so many threads with "journey to building a $25 million company" or "my path to $12 million" or my personal favorite "$15 to $3 million" where I click expecting some great story, but get an introduction thread.

I know there's a rule around here about vague proclamations, but I think it speaks more to a problem in mindset.

Stop being concerned with a random dollar amount and more focused on solving a problem and building something.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If MJ deems it so he'll reinstate the original post.

I actually liked the post. He likely deleted it because he didn't like Lex's usual "no BS" type of post. :smuggy:

@daldad clearly put in the time and effort to write a good, detailed post. He also opened himself up and shared information that I'm sure wasn't easy to share. I in no way felt he was a wantrepreneur seeking some kind of circle jerk validation. He is in dental school with one year remaining. TMF and Unscripted seemingly impacted him to the point of wanting to get some input on two options he felt he had for making a dental business that wasn't going to be a glorified job. I planned to share some thoughts on his thread and will do so if the OP gets reinstated.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Dont know why he deleted the content, was a pretty solid post. First response was ruthless, but he woulda gotten decent responses.

Did they delete the account? Or should the thread keep going?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If MJ deems it so he'll reinstate the original post.

I actually liked the post. He likely deleted it because he didn't like Lex's usual "no BS" type of post. :smuggy:

I got on a sales call the other day and got told I wasn't all that sinister. Got a reputation to protect, ya know? But let's be real, there's a lot of dreamers, schemers, and one-n-doners around here. More than ever. I like to meet people and help them when I can. Most of the time they take the advice they asked for, light it on fire, watch it burn, and toss the ashes to the wind.

My post is a little insensitive. I re-read his post because apparently what I skimmed and what others read were two different things. I still don't see any real action, and I still think it's a lot of mental masturbation. Doesn't make me less of an a**hole for writing my post the way I did.

My hope is he deleted it because he realized it was time to make something real happen. But maybe it was deleted because what I said was mean. If it's the latter, was my post really the problem? Or did it just rip the bandaid off a deeper wound that's bleeding out and needs stitches?

Ugh, maybe it's time to hire a damage control PR person to regulate my posts.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I got on a sales call the other day and got told I wasn't all that sinister. Got a reputation to protect, ya know? But let's be real, there's a lot of dreamers, schemers, and one-n-doners around here. More than ever. I like to meet people and help them when I can. Most of the time they take the advice they asked for, light it on fire, watch it burn, and toss the ashes to the wind.

My post is a little insensitive. I re-read his post because apparently what I skimmed and what others read were two different things. I still don't see any real action, and I still think it's a lot of mental masturbation. Doesn't make me less of an a**hole for writing my post the way I did.

My hope is he deleted it because he realized it was time to make something real happen. But maybe it was deleted because what I said was mean. If it's the latter, was my post really the problem? Or did it just rip the bandaid off a deeper wound that's bleeding out and needs stitches?

Ugh, maybe it's time to hire a damage control PR person to regulate my posts.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't concern yourself over the "insensitivity" of your post. You do you. Maybe it did cause some introspection.

I still don't see any real action, and I still think it's a lot of mental masturbation.
We all start somewhere. The fact that he is in dental school is indeed action. He's also preparing while finishing his last year of school. Preparing his mind and developing skill sets. In less than a month he built a private FB group for other dental students. Has grown it already to 2000 members. He's already providing value to an audience by sharing what he's learning. That group has already opened up opportunities and is allowing him to build a network that could be extremely valuable in the future.

I say well-done @daldad and keep pressing forward.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.