The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book #4: Vote for Next Book Discussion!

Forum Book Discussion, Next Book to Read?!

• Man's Search for Meaning, Victor Frankl

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Influence: Psychology of Persuasion, by Cialdini

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • Trust Me I'm Lying, Ryan Holiday

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • The One Thing, Gary Keller

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Abundance: The Future Is Better than You Think, Peter Diamandis

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 32 16.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Bruce Lee: A Life

Not a self-improvement book, just an objective biography about an interesting guy who lived an interesting and exciting life.

It would be interesting to read it and see what life lessons we all take away from it.

I approve this message

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I’m gonna go with The Power of Habit. I think that’s the area most struggle with, and a huge behavioral trait that affect success.

May be a bit redundant for some, I didn’t get in on the last book thread.

Last edited:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Yes I do agree to a point.

I do like the philosophy behind it though; design does not need to be complicated, and with some work it isn't the most difficult thing to get it realised and selling.

I would not want to be in the position of taking a huge international corporation to court - that does not sound "Simple". He could have quite easily lost and ended up losing all the wealth that he had created.

I learned quite soon after reading the book that trying to license an idea with no secured IP and no product development undertaken just opens you up to at best a “no thanks”, at worst a “thanks for the idea”.

There is little value in most ideas, only the execution is worth something. Kudos to Mr. Key for what he did with it, not sure it applies for most.

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
This may be too mainstream but I loved the chimp paradox:

The Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
The Chimp Paradox is an incredibly powerful mind management model that can help you become a happy, confident, healthier and more successful person. Prof Steve Peters explains the struggle that takes place within your mind and then shows how to apply this understanding to every area of your life so you can:

- Recognise how your mind is working

- Understand and manage your emotions and thoughts

- Manage yourself and become the person you would like to be

Attachments

• 00768F11-3F58-4A3C-AF6A-E9C0F284ABDC.png
    00768F11-3F58-4A3C-AF6A-E9C0F284ABDC.png
    992.3 KB · Views: 9

VTK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 14, 2018
Never Split The Difference is incredible. I'd love to know what the Forum thinks of it and if it doesn't win this time it stays up as one of the options.

M11105

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Oct 2, 2013
USA
A rare, mostly out of print book: Ten seconds that will change your life, by Hal Falvey (you can find it in Amazon by 3rd party sellers).
Written about 60 years ago, it explains a simple technique to re-orienting your internal dialogue to create more of what you want vs. dwell on what keeps one stuck...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I’m gonna go with The Power of Habit.

Our last book (Atomic Habits) is an offshoot of that one... so I personally hope it doesn't win. Good book yes, but I don't think I want to read 2 books on the same topic so close together.

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
I have big hopes for "How to Get Rich, by Felix Dennis" and so far so good.

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
What are some interesting ideas that you learned from the book? Also do you plan on applying any of them?

M11105

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Oct 2, 2013
USA
What are some interesting ideas that you learned from the book? Also do you plan on applying any of them?

Personally, the most important one I learned was that wealth follows ownership, basically you need to own a piece (ideally most) of the action, be it the business, the real estate, the intellectual property etc. It is owning the asset what allows you to eventually convert it into $$$ down the line. Salaries negate this notion. It's hard to become massively wealthy on salaries alone...

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Add this one to your list if you haven’t read it yet.

91KoV2yim%2BL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/073521624X/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
51TVamX9bsL.jpg

I've read several of Holiday's books, and enjoyed them all. This one's next on my list. From Amazon:

I loved Trust Me, I'm Lying. A must read for anyone in the media/marketing/blog industry.

Never realized that he was the author of Perennial Seller. Will have to check it out.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
I went for Never Split the Difference. Cialdini's book is one of those books that can be summarized in a blog post with nothing lost (and I've already read it a couple of times...) I've read Dennis in the past 12 months and, while I liked the book, I wasn't blown away enough to want to re-read it that soon.

Holmes' Ultimate Sales Machine would I think be the next runner up for the most interesting (certainly most actionable) thing on the list. Maybe next time.

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark
Voted for Felix Dennis. He was quite a character. Sadly passed away.

Read the book a few years ago and its quite good i think.

VIVEKSINGHJADONS

VSJ
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Sep 18, 2018
India
Anyone here who already read - How to get rich by Felix Dennis. Just curious to know what’s the difference between this book and TMFL. I think MJ has already decoded this mystery in his books. After reading TMFL and UNSCRIPTED I have never felt the need to read another book about financial wisdom. May be I am wrong.

David 964

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 10, 2019
Los Angeles
Principles by Ray Dalio is also great book from self made billionaire. I especially like his principle based life, problem solving, improving his ways and creating set of principles. Good read.

Attachments

• .png
    .png
    335.5 KB · Views: 11

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Anyone here who already read - How to get rich by Felix Dennis. Just curious to know what’s the difference between this book and TMFL. I think MJ has already decoded this mystery in his books. After reading TMFL and UNSCRIPTED I have never felt the need to read another book about financial wisdom. May be I am wrong.

Dennis' book explores some similar topics, but there's plenty more that MJ hasn't covered in his book.

You'd assume that a book with a title "How to Get Rich" is yet another, generic business book, but in fact IMO it's more of a philosophical book - exploring not only how to get rich, but also perhaps why you shouldn't pursue riches or when to stop obsessing about wealth and shift your focus to something else.

It's part a how-to book with some really solid advice, and part a cautionary tale - meant to make you think about business, money, and life in a different, more educated and conscious way.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I loved Trust Me, I'm Lying. A must read for anyone in the media/marketing/blog industry.

Never realized that he was the author of Perennial Seller. Will have to check it out.
I totally agree. Trust Me, I'm Lying provided so much insight into the industry - it was a seminal work for me. I love his books on Stoicism, but TMIL was a real eye-opener.

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Thank you for the fast lane wisdom! You saved me a lot of time and energy. I was going to read the book, however you influenced me not to. Where can I find the summary of the book?

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
I'll go with How to get rich by Felix Dennis. As soon as I can find the poll [emoji853]. Is it possible Tapatalk doesn't show it?

(To get more work done I only read the forum during "relax time" on my phone using tapatalk and never in my office on my PC when working on my business.)

LaraJF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Apr 1, 2017
Silicon Valley, California
I've read Cialdini (both books), The One Thing, and Never Split the Difference. I read Man's Search for Meaning with my daughter when she read that for a Univ class. All four are fantastic.
I did read the Power of Habit (yawn) and think it's too close on the heels of Atomic Habits. So I'm going to vote for a book I haven't read yet:
Abundance: The Future Is Better than You Think, Peter Diamandis

I think it's too late, but I have on my list Finish by Jon Acuff (and, I guess, Start by the same author...I'm good at starting but not so much at finishing)

And I recently finished Don't Bullshit Yourself by Jon Taffer and Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza (which made me want to reread What the Bleep do We Know). Both were very good.

Also, any of the books by Mike Michalowicz are highly recommended.

SK1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Feb 3, 2019
UK
Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza (which made me want to reread What the Bleep do We Know). Both were very good.

I have just started reading - Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza.

The second of 3 book I will study this year - the first is TMF!

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Can we really be static?

Some values hold true..but our only real value is that we apply and evolve to make our consumers happy throughout...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Poll closes in 2 days, looks like a book as old as TMF is going to win.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Poll closes in 2 days, looks like a book as old as TMF is going to win.

A quality product will stand the test of time, but I don’t need to tell you that. ;)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, new poll -- next book discussion! VOTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.