The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Blinkist?

LuckyPup

Done Dicking Around
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Does anyone have experience with this?

Do you think the only worthwhile knowledge in most given books can be boiled down to something a tenth the size? A hundredth? I personally don’t.
I have. At first glance it appealed to me, but after using it I felt my retention of the material was poor because I was able to consume so many books quickly, but in a very superficial way. Sure, I was able to cover a lot of books quite fast, but eventually, it just became more "clutter" in my head. I'd rather go deep with a book, highlight what I feel is important and reread it again. I'm doing that with Unscripted now, and I've found that the adage, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear", is so true. Every time I read the book I discover a new lesson. It's hard to get that depth of understanding with summaries.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Nice_home

Contributor
Feb 19, 2019
I have a totally different take on this. Perhaps because my wife (thoughtfully) got me Blinkist for my bday earlier this year as she knows I love reading, so as a gift I appreciate it more.

I had seen lots of ads for this service and I honestly was very averse to it. But when she gifted it to me I decided to give it a chance. I was extremely pleasantly surprised, and since I have “blinked” over 50 books.

A few thoughts others haven’t touched on:

1) I can only deeply read and “think” about 12-24 books per year (I can speed read many more, but that’s more like skimming)—through Blinkist I’ve been exposed to 50 ideas that I would literally never be exposed to because I wouldn’t have time to read 50 additional books. And to get those 50 ideas through traditional reading I would need to spend $500 bucks on books
2) I read a lot of online articles on business etc for research—I think of the blinks as more like “long, in-depth articles”—and I find them much more valuable than the normal article online. A lot of articles online these days are comprised of the same content regurgitated around to different outlets and bloggers (in fact, the full business and personal development books I read are often like that, too). But I’d much rather read a “Blink” which at least is a summary of a whole book, with its own central concept and idea, vs a rehashed or worse, AI created article
3) Blinks are great for filling time while waiting in line at the bank, at the grocery store, while on the bus, etc—I can use time I would literally be standing there doing “nothing” and get exposed to a new idea
4) I actually think the summary in the above post of TMFL is pretty decent—obviously it is no substitute for reading the whole book, but that’s not the point—the point is, I pretty much only Blink books that I will NEVER have time to read in my whole life
5) I have actually really changed my thoughts and actions and experienced substantial life impacts from short article blinks

The bottom line is, can one article change your life? Yes. Can one book change your life? Yes. Can speed reading and skimming a book and getting one idea change your life? Yes. Then reading one blink can also change your life.

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I have a totally different take on this. Perhaps because my wife (thoughtfully) got me Blinkist for my bday earlier this year as she knows I love reading, so as a gift I appreciate it more.

I had seen lots of ads for this service and I honestly was very averse to it. But when she gifted it to me I decided to give it a chance. I was extremely pleasantly surprised, and since I have “blinked” over 50 books.

1) I can only deeply read and “think” about 12-24 books per year (I can speed read many more, but that’s more like skimming)—through Blinkist I’ve been exposed to 50 ideas that I would literally never be exposed to because I wouldn’t have time to read 50 additional books. And to get those 50 ideas through traditional reading I would need to spend $500 bucks on books
2) I read a lot of online articles on business etc for research—I think of the blinks as more like “long, in-depth articles”—and I find them much more valuable than the normal article online. A lot of articles online these days are comprised of the same content regurgitated around to different outlets and bloggers (in fact, the full business and personal development books I read are often like that, too). But I’d much rather read a “Blink” which at least is a summary of a whole book, with its own central concept and idea, vs a rehashed or worse, AI created article
3) Blinks are great for filling time while waiting in line at the bank, at the grocery store, while on the bus, etc—I can use time I would literally be standing there doing “nothing” and get exposed to a new idea
4) I actually think the summary in the above post of TMFL is pretty decent—obviously it is no substitute for reading the whole book, but that’s not the point—the point is, I pretty much only Blink books that I will NEVER have time to read in my whole life
5) I have actually really changed my thoughts and actions and experienced substantial life impacts from short article blinks

The bottom line is, can one article change your life? Yes. Can one book change your life? Yes. Can speed reading and skimming a book and getting one idea change your life? Yes. Then reading one blink can also change your life.
Interesting perspective. I like it.

What blinks would you say have changed your life, out of curiosity?

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Nice. That makes a lot of sense. I prefer to skim, get one insight/aha moment, put it down, and think/execute. I just don’t seem to have the patience or desire to deep dive into books anymore.

I also prefer not to clutter up my brain, so probably won’t sign up to Blinkist, but I can see the appeal and benefits.

MattR82

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Perth
If the summary is written by the author, it is more likely to have more value, unless it is just the free bait to promote a sale of the book.

I know that lectures are a different topic, but there could be some lessons to learn by considering lectures and even podcasts.

The few podcasts that I have listened to have been frustrating due to the inane conversations that so often seem to be an essential component. There is often a huge amount of repetition, and the amount of real information is very little return for the time it takes to listen all the way through.

A couple of years ago, a group to which I belong were asked to record lectures on their favorite subjects or areas of expertise. The normal time such a lecture would take would be 45 minutes, but all were strictly limited to 10 minutes.

All of the peer reviews stated that they learned as much as they usually learned from the long lectures, and that those 10 minute lectures were far more interesting.

Walter
I hear that. Listened to a few marketing podcasts that are like 35 mins chat and 5 mins on the actual content in the title. Why bother recording? I Just don't get it.

Nice_home

Contributor
Feb 19, 2019
What blinks would you say have changed your life, out of curiosity?
Blinks that changed my life (these are just off the top of my head without logging into my app to see what I’d read):

Flow - Since reading this Blink, I have pretty much completely restructured my life and time around “intrinsic” (compared to extrinsic) goals; goals under my own control. Going a bit further, if a goal is not under my control, I now deem it a “result.” This has changed my whole goal-setting attitude and helped me greatly manage and reduce stress (which is very high for me in my current situation).

The Wealth of Nations - I wouldn’t be reading this book anytime soon in non-blink form. However, I have been studying business for a while now and had really been pondering in-depth the origin of “value.” Adam Smith pretty much answers that question by saying that value comes from “labor.” And to elevate the results from cheap/unskilled labor, input capital and machines into the system. Really helped me start to pinpoint the meaning of “value.”

Ikigai - Recently read this Blink, a very fresh and different take on finding purpose and living a long life. I had found this book through an intriguing article on the concept. I wouldn’t be reading the book anytime soon (plus I could only find the Spanish version in non-Blink form?), but through this app I could go more in depth into the concept. Essentially, it’s about driving value and finding purpose through an overlap of four concentric circles: what am I passionate about, what am I good at, what would people pay me to do, what does the world need? Still pondering this at the very moment, as I go about my daily Fastlane pursuits. Also has health and stress-reduction tips that are relevant to me.

Various books on healthy eating and veggies - Pretty much totally revamped my diet to include many more veggies as a result of these Blinks (as a helpful part of a bigger process of losing over 20 pounds so far this year).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom