The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BIG Opportunity...Not sure how to get started. Please help!

Marketing, social media, advertising

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Hi fastlaners. I need some advice on sales to make this idea happen.

I know/read that @Fox, @Lex DeVille, @Johnny boy, @Andy Black, @JAJT, @Scot are all good with sales, so I'd love your input (everyone's input is welcomed).

My idea: I want to build a real estate listing website where different local agencies can all list their properties in one place. It will be monetized by 1) Charging a recurring fee for listing with us, 2) Featured properties at top of page, 3) Add on services like photography and videography (will team up with local companies) and also 4) I'll rent advertising space to relevant services (plumbing, roofing companies etc). I know listing sites are a dime a dozen, but the country I'm targeting doesn't have one, yet.

My problems:
1) Once I complete the website, I'm not sure how to get the first real estate company to join. It's a foreign country and I can't afford to travel right now, so I'm limited to emailing/hiring a telemarketer in the target country. Any thoughts on this?

2) I imagine that once I get the first few companies on board, the rest will be much easier. But how do I get the first client if I don't have past results? How would you approach this?

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions.

-Jon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Are you creating a zillow clone?
I never heard of Zillow, but just did a quick search. At first, it seems like the same value model. I'll dig into Zillow later to see what I can learn.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I know/read that @Fox, @Lex DeVille, @Johnny boy, @Andy Black, @JAJT, @Scot are all good with sales, so I'd love your input (everyone's input is welcomed).

My idea: I want to build a real estate listing website where different local agencies can all list their properties in one place. It will be monetized by 1) Charging a recurring fee for listing with us, 2) Featured properties at top of page, 3) Add on services like photography and videography (will team up with local companies) and also 4) I'll rent advertising space to relevant services (plumbing, roofing companies etc). I know listing sites are a dime a dozen, but the country I'm targeting doesn't have one, yet.

My problems:
1) Once I complete the website, I'm not sure how to get the first real estate company to join. It's a foreign country and I can't afford to travel right now, so I'm limited to emailing/hiring a telemarketer in the target country. Any thoughts on this?

2) I imagine that once I get the first few companies on board, the rest will be much easier. But how do I get the first client if I don't have past results? How would you approach this?

-Jon.
Get one real estate client and help them sell the properties in their portfolio.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Find out how big that country is.
Check out how people Zillow serves and how much it makes profits.

Compare one to the other and see if its worth pursuing.

arl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 16, 2019
What country? There are plenty of websites like that already. Zillow in the US and many others in other countries.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I agree with @Andy Black. It's all about getting the first one on board and making it a really attractive proposition to them. In other words, everything you do, do it as though they're the highest buying client ever. The truth is you need content on the site to show others what it can do and if you can blow this first one out of the water and get great results for you, it can be the best investment you make for your business.

Personally I'd skip the telemarketer part. I appreciate you are in different countries, but it's likely you'll get much better results going direct (or at least outsourcing someone to go direct for you). People are really use to jumping on calls with people across the globe these days and the proposition that they're working internationally with someone sounds really impressive.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Zillow is quite popular in the US

Ah okay. Gotcha. I've already done the research and the country doesn't have such an aggregate listing website. I'd prefer not to mention the location for now.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
What country? There are plenty of websites like that already. Zillow in the US and many others in other countries.

Good point. Fortunately, the country doesn't have such an aggregate listing website at the moment.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
I agree with @Andy Black. It's all about getting the first one on board and making it a really attractive proposition to them. In other words, everything you do, do it as though they're the highest buying client ever. The truth is you need content on the site to show others what it can do and if you can blow this first one out of the water and get great results for you, it can be the best investment you make for your business.

Personally I'd skip the telemarketer part. I appreciate you are in different countries, but it's likely you'll get much better results going direct (or at least outsourcing someone to go direct for you). People are really use to jumping on calls with people across the globe these days and the proposition that they're working internationally with someone sounds really impressive.

Thanks Imgal. Good ideas. I'm taking notes.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy. So help the first one for free, get results, then use those results to sell to others? Yes?
Free client first if necessary, then a paid client, then a few paid clients, then suggest they have a free page on your directory, then ...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

paymenthuddle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 13, 2019

My problems:

-Jon.
Your money is in the recurring fee - but your challenge is securing real estate companies that will want to pay for that service. Might be easiest to go after a smaller independent agent or agents first (those that think they don't need to work for a Remax or Coldwell Banker, etc), these people are trying to do this on their own and may find value in it. You are going to have to get 1 or 2 clients before you can get 5 or 10 - the larger real estate companies will want to see a proof of concept before paying to be on your site. I like your idea though - good luck with it

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Your money is in the recurring fee - but your challenge is securing real estate companies that will want to pay for that service. Might be easiest to go after a smaller independent agent or agents first (those that think they don't need to work for a Remax or Coldwell Banker, etc), these people are trying to do this on their own and may find value in it. You are going to have to get 1 or 2 clients before you can get 5 or 10 - the larger real estate companies will want to see a proof of concept before paying to be on your site. I like your idea though - good luck with it

I was thinking large to small companies. I think small to large might make more sense. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll combine this with Andy's ideas.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Here's an idea I've been toying with that's a little left field but I think really might work for you.
Start a Podcast that talks about real estate. Interview agents, companies, mortgage brokers, whatever you think it relevant. And try to add value to end consumers as well - for example tricks on refinancing, how to find a trustworthy agent etc.
This will do a couple things: first, it'll be MUCH easier to get in contact with the people you want to eventually do business with. They're more likely to agree to a podcast episode in a cold email over a business pitch. Second, you start establishing a base of potential users on both ends: the real estate side as well as people that would actually visit the site in order to purchase/browse homes.
A little bit of an unorthodox way to get to your goal, but I actually think it'd really work in your situation.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Here's an idea I've been toying with that's a little left field but I think really might work for you.
Start a Podcast that talks about real estate. Interview agents, companies, mortgage brokers, whatever you think it relevant. And try to add value to end consumers as well - for example tricks on refinancing, how to find a trustworthy agent etc.
This will do a couple things: first, it'll be MUCH easier to get in contact with the people you want to eventually do business with. They're more likely to agree to a podcast episode in a cold email over a business pitch. Second, you start establishing a base of potential users on both ends: the real estate side as well as people that would actually visit the site in order to purchase/browse homes.
A little bit of an unorthodox way to get to your goal, but I actually think it'd really work in your situation.

Wow! Not sure I can pull that off, or if it's the most efficient route to getting to my goal, but I'll definitely give it some thought. It's also bringing other ideas to mind. Thanks a lot!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

My problems:

-Jon.

I wouldn't do it. I could make it work somehow but I don't want to work that hard.

I think it's a bad idea because no one needs another zillow.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
I wouldn't do it. I could make it work somehow but I don't want to work that hard.

I think it's a bad idea because no one needs another zillow.

Thanks for responding Johnny boy (which was my childhood nickname btw). Can you please clarify: What wouldn't you do? What do you think will be hard work to make work? Thanks.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Thanks for responding Johnny boy (which was my childhood nickname btw). Can you please clarify: What wouldn't you do? What do you think will be hard work to make work? Thanks.

It's no different than trying to make another google.

If I want to find a damn property I'll go to zillow. If I want to sell a damn property I'll put it on zillow. It aint broke, why are you trying to fix it?

I have a little example.

There's a hundred ducks out on the lake right now. I can see them from my window, swimming by my dock.

In the summer, there's almost no ducks out on the water.

Sometimes there's ducks. Sometimes there's no ducks. A smart and talented duck hunter would have a terrible time trying to hunt ducks in the summer at my lake. But even a stupid and lazy duck hunter would have success hunting ducks at my lake in November.

You are trying to hunt ducks in the summer, my friend. Go where the hunting is easy for you.

Last edited:

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018

If I want to find a damn property I'll go to zillow. If I want to sell a damn property I'll put it on zillow. It aint broke, why are you trying to fix it?

I have a little example.

There's a hundred ducks out on the lake right now. I can see them from my window, swimming by my dock.

Sometimes there's ducks. Sometimes there's no ducks. A smart and talented duck hunter would have a terrible time trying to hunt ducks in the summer at my lake. But even a stupid and lazy duck hunter would have success hunting ducks at my lake in November.

You are trying to hunt ducks in the summer, my friend. Go where the hunting is easy for you.

Thanks for your feedback and for explaining. To clarify, there are no listings for my target country on Zillow. Also, there are no local aggregate listing sites, so I know it's valid.

absolomon

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 12, 2019
Monterey, CA

I have a little example.

Ya there's Zillow, but if you took the time to read the whole thread @ProcessPro stated there is no prevalent site like Zillow in their country. Starting a website like that could be very profitable with the proper steps and a good mindset. If there's a need for this kind of site where you're at @ProcessPro and you can provide true value with it then I think it's a great idea.

Also with the whole Google analogy, ya sure they are a tech giant with little competition but that hasn't stopped the site ecosia, which is a search engine that donates 80% of their earning towards the planting of trees to stop deforestation.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 12, 2019
I'm currently doing a very similar thing for farmers. My website is Agservicefinder.com.

Send me a PM and I'll be able to give you some guidance on some things.

(Btw my name is also Jon, lol)

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Ya there's Zillow, but if you took the time to read the whole thread @ProcessPro stated there is no prevalent site like Zillow in their country. Starting a website like that could be very profitable with the proper steps and a good mindset. If there's a need for this kind of site where you're at @ProcessPro and you can provide true value with it then I think it's a great idea.

Also with the whole Google analogy, ya sure they are a tech giant with little competition but that hasn't stopped the site ecosia, which is a search engine that donates 80% of their earning towards the planting of trees to stop deforestation.
I'm currently doing a very similar thing for farmers. My website is Agservicefinder.com.

Send me a PM and I'll be able to give you some guidance on some things.

(Btw my name is also Jon, lol)

I love this! Great looking website Jon. I'll definitely send you a PM.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018

Thanks for the encouragement absolomon. I think it could indeed be profitable! It's a small investment financially anyway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.