• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Best Whiskey you've ever had

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by Scot, Sep 7, 2017.

1. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $47,964
    The Woodford was well received.

The waves of flavor were awesome and not too intense. Those swigs were thoroughly enjoyable.

Ivan M., DustinH, Greg R and 2 others like this.
  2. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,468
    I've been doing some free help for a neighbor. I told him I didn't want any payment because I enjoy helping out. He surprised me yesterday with a gift that is the literal nectar of the gods.
    angelsenvy.jpg

3. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,665
    I have not had that ever. How is it?

UnrealCreative and Tammy Cox like this.
  4. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,468
    Smooth

Aaron T likes this.
  5. Ivan M.

Ivan M. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $885
    I know right!!! :smile2:

DustinH, amp0193 and Aaron T like this.
  6. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $54,780
    In July, I made my own whiskey cocktail. I aged some new make spirits with some bitters for 4 months. DBD75E11-EDAD-4737-A6C1-7F2353E547AA.jpeg

Then in November I added some pure maple syrup to it. Let it age a little longer.

CA7B48C1-8B55-44D5-9400-B1C223EA40BD.jpeg

The other night I poured some straight from the cask, added a little bit of water and an ice cube and enjoyed a local hand rolled cigar.

Nothing like enjoying the fruits of your labors!

Who else has their own aging barrel? What have you made with it?

amp0193, Jonathan Hoch, Kade and 9 others like this.
  7. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,695
    Thanks for digging this up @Scot.

Damn y’all are fancy. I had no idea the world of whiskey was such. Cool read.

My whiskey experience is laughable - Beam, Canadian Mist and JD#7.

I did have a glass of scotch with my mentor this summer. I endured for gratitude’s sake, but ain’t gonna lie - I thought I killed my mouth.

Get Right, Scot and UnrealCreative like this.
  8. Get Right

Get Right Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $35,064
    The best - The guys at Four Roses brought a sample barrel to a golf tournament I sponsored. No name or info...but the best I ever had.

The most memorable - JW Dant. I heard my grandfather drank it in his day. I would have liked to have one with him. I stop by a local watering hole and have one for him every year or so.

The go to's:
    Four Roses single barrel
    Woodford Reserve
    Basil Haydens

In my glass right now - Rock Hill Farms, Single barrel

Greg R and Scot like this.
  9. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $54,780
    To be honest, before I went to Scotland and actually was taught how to taste and enjoy Scotch, I hated the stuff.

I compare Scotch to a really full bodied red wine. If you don’t really know what you’re looking for, it just tastes bad.

Woodford is my go to for Old Fashioned’s.

Get Right, Rabby and RazorCut like this.
  10. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $22,378
    Greg R, Rabby and Scot like this.
  11. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,526
    I'm a fan of heavily peated scotch. I also love Aberfeldy... the first time I tasted it, I was like the people in the old peppermint patty commercials, transported to another place. Except it wasn't the Alps, it was a sunny meadow strewn with heather.

@Scot I haven't started distilling or barrel-aging at the house, but I've done some fun experiments. I've had very good success making mead in mason jars. Delightful stuff. I like to make a fizzy mead that's not to sweet but not absolutely dry. I've also made passable wine from starfruit and local wild yeast.

Another good thing is making your own bitters. Just take a high-proof rum or other drinkable alcohol (works with wines too), and stuff it full of herbs for a few months. My particular favorite is mugwort, which I used to grow in the yard. A friend was house-sitting and got into the mugwart bitters... he claims to this day it enabled him to walk on the ceiling :wideyed:

Scot likes this.
  12. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $54,780
    My mouth is watering...

Glenmorangie makes a fantastic Scotch. Can’t say I’ve tried their Sherry Cask though. I had another Scotch that was finished in Sherry and it was divine.

RazorCut likes this.
  13. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $54,780
    This is one this I still haven’t been able to enjoy yet. Peated Scotch’s just kill my mouth. Pallet just isn’t refined enough yet I guess haha

RazorCut and Rabby like this.
  14. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,695
    Admittedly, I saw possible opportunity when you guys said that whiskey doesn't age in a glass bottle, and saw the aging barrel that @Scot was using. ::Lightbulb:: Why not wooden whiskey bottles? A quick search revealed a few - very expensive, $50USD/bottle. I also saw people inserting charred sticks in their glass bottles, but the reviews claimed they didn't work. Perhaps some proportion dynamics at play, the amount of whiskey in a barrel vs. the interior surface area of the barrel itself.

Interesting -

Suzanne Bazemore and RazorCut like this.
  15. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $22,378
    Any of the Islay malts would suit you then. Bowmore seems very smoky/peaty to me.

Back in July I spent several hours enjoying a tour of the Penderyn Welsh distillery (and yet another tasting session afterwards).

Good malt can get to become an expensive hobby :rofl:

Attached Files:

Scot and Rabby like this.
  16. Suzanne Bazemore

Suzanne Bazemore Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,299
    [​IMG]
    I like this one. I'm not a whiskey expert, though. I am going to watch this thread and try to find one of the ones y'all suggest for next time I visit my brother.

Rabby likes this.
  17. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,526
    Yes, Islay single malts are my go-to. I wonder sometimes if it's genetic taste :hilarious: I keep smoother scotch around for the poor souls who would otherwise drink smoke and fire out of politeness.

Scot, Suzanne Bazemore and RazorCut like this.
  18. Suzanne Bazemore

Suzanne Bazemore Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,299
    Yeah, I don't care for the smokey ones.

Rabby likes this.
  19. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $66,064
    I don't see why they wouldn't - the beer community (which I was huge into a few years back) loves the things.

Check out - French + Oak Infusion Spirals | Wine Making

While I've never used them, I've heard good things. They make spirals of wood at various char levels. The spiral shape maximizes surface area which reduces the time required to be in contact with the liquid. They make them in various sizes from bottle sized to barrel sized.

I've never used them myself though simply because I'm not the biggest fan of the whole beer-whiskey-wine crossover thing going on these days. Whiskey/wine flavored beer and beer/hop flavored whiskey just tastes damn weird to me.

The only exception is the super high-octane russian imperial stouts that get brewed with whiskey barrels. It makes for a good combo but I was never in the habit of making 5-10 gallons of 12% beer, no matter how good it was :p

B. Cole and RazorCut like this.
  20. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,522
    The thing I hate about making any big-boy high-ABV beers is that they take forever to ferment and condition. I've got a tiny rig that can handle up to ~20 liters, and the one and only time I tried to brew a big imperial it took almost 6 months to get drinkable. This was after almost two months between the primary and the secondary, plus age time in the bottles.

JAJT, Jonathan Hoch and Scot like this.
  21. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,723
    They all require a skillset.

For my birthday last year, my wife actually picked me up something AWESOME! A globe decanter. I filled it with 1920 Old Forester Prohibition style. And, it was gone in 4 days.

I then filled it with Glenfiddich 15 - Solera Reserve. It lasted 5 months. I'm most definitely a bourbon man. The Scotch was not the buttery smooth that was promised.

And to make it worse, I've recently learned the 1920 is limited production. Go figure. So I'm sipping some Old Forester Swill, and it's also delicious.

Oh, here's the decanter. (Wife has an awesome ebay setup for pics that I took advantage of)
    [​IMG]

Bearcorp, rogue synthetic and Scot like this.
  22. antonn

antonn PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    Bowmore Dusk is sweet and very, very good.

23. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $66,064
    A second fermenter would run you like $30. Well worth it if you plan to age anything (and yeah, boozy beers require age to smooth out that "hot alcohol" flavor).

Also - while I somewhat see the value of having a secondary fermenter for aged beers, I'd suggest you consider dropping it entirely from your process. The downsides almost always outweigh the upsides (oxidation from primary to secondary transfer will ruin a beer far quicker and more reliably than autolysis).

If/when you do choose to use a secondary, I'd generally suggest you make the switch mid-fermentation where the yeast are still scavenging oxygen - this helps get most of the trub out of the equation without risking oxygen intake.

Also hit me up if you ever want to talk beer making - I brewed 200 gallons the year I quit and have won a few medals for my beer. A truly fantastic hobby that I got a lot of pride from being great at.

rogue synthetic likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.