The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best new car research website! (How NOT to ask/take advice)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The only thing I can suggest is to watch the tutorial. Also, to find the R8, just select Audi, then R8, then show vehicles.

Also, it's good to know some people like the simplistic layout. Thanks.

Seriously? Lol. I'm supposed to watch a tutorial before I use a website?

I wonder where the Craigslist tutorial video is? Please show me a link to it and then I'll watch your video.

Well F*ck if I wanted to just search for an R8 I wouldn't come here. The purpose of your site is that if I put in specs matching an R8 it should show up in the results right? Well it did not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GuestUser303

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 6, 2017
United States
I think the most important lesson that I have learned since reading TMF and joining this forum is "ADD VALUE"!! This thread is riddled with value added feedback and you have given ZERO back. You have 45 posts in total, ALL in this thread. If you wish to stick around, I recommend that you do not post another reply in this thread until you have posted here:

Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)

and here:

GOLD - I've Read The Millionaire Fastlane!

Of course, I am not a mod and have no authority, but it seems you are walking a thin line and I've seen others get shown the door for similar attitudes.

Your choice! If you've actually read the book, then you will know what that means.

Done. Thanks.

GuestUser303

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 6, 2017
United States
Seriously? Lol. I'm supposed to watch a tutorial before I use a website?

I wonder where the Craigslist tutorial video is? Please show me a link to it and then I'll watch your video.

Well F*ck if I wanted to just search for an R8 I wouldn't come here. The purpose of your site is that if I put in specs matching an R8 it should show up in the results right? Well it did not.

Ah I understand now. I think I know what the problem was. I had it listed as a trunk, not lift back, since the trunk is not in the rear of the vehicle. But I am going to switch it over to a lift back since that probably makes more sense. My guess is you searched for vehicles with a lift back, not a trunk. I was struggling with what I should classify those as (they are a lift back and they have a trunk, just not under the lift back).

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
There is no need. But he's got a cool site that lets you search for TORQUE / FOOT LBS / and WHEEL LENGTH. No one else does that!

(See, I'm getting perturbed here.)

A4Wp_f-maxage-0.gif

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
The only other way to get all the information is to go to each manufacturer's website and do all the research yourself, which will take far more than 12 minutes. So in reality, I have no competitor's.
Haha the one thing you took away from my post was whether you had competitors or not.

The point was no one wants to watch a time consuming tutorial on how to use your site when the whole entire reason for your site is to research something in a few minutes.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Haha the one thing you took away from my post was whether you had competitors or not.

The point was no one wants to watch a time consuming tutorial on how to use your site when the whole entire reason for your site is to research something in a few minutes.

You're a fool for thinking he wants to be helped. Shame on you for providing him with feedback. He doesn't want that shit, HE WANTS CLICKS AND $$ SO GIVE THEM TO HIM YOU SELFISH MAN!

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
You're a fool for thinking he wants to be helped. Shame on you for providing him with feedback. He doesn't want that shit, HE WANTS CLICKS AND $$ SO GIVE THEM TO HIM YOU SELFISH MAN!
I don't know why tried. I bet he'd disregard advice from Bill Gates if given the opportunity.

"No Bill you're wrong. This site will be worth billions just watch!!"

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
I don't know why tried. I bet he'd disregard advice from Bill Gates if given the opportunity.

"No Bill you're wrong. This site will be worth billions just watch!!"

Bill Gates: Yeah the site looks really outdated and doesn't function well - change your target market.
Whichride4you: But Craigslist...
Bill Gates: ...

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! Thanks to everyone that contributed, I at least got some value out of website design and some do's/don'ts.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ah I understand now. I think I know what the problem was. I had it listed as a trunk, not lift back, since the trunk is not in the rear of the vehicle. But I am going to switch it over to a lift back since that probably makes more sense. My guess is you searched for vehicles with a lift back, not a trunk. I was struggling with what I should classify those as (they are a lift back and they have a trunk, just not under the lift back).

Well I was on your side, but your responses here really show that you really don't care or get it.

And I'm not talking about the R8 part. You don't even get people's concern about the need for a tutorial and continually ignore the relevant feedback by responding bits and pieces.

GuestUser303

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 6, 2017
United States
Well I was on your side, but your responses here really show that you really don't care or get it.

And I'm not talking about the R8 part. You don't even get people's concern about the need for a tutorial and continually ignore the relevant feedback by responding bits and pieces.

Any good website should have a tutorial. It's like the guy that was talking about cargurus. I had to go back and play around three different times to figure out where their search was. They want to force me to select a make every time I try to do a search and they don't give me an advanced search. Another example is try figuring out how to find the model year on some of the manufacturer's websites. It would be wonderful if they had a tutorial telling me where they hide it.

One of the benefits of my website is that when you deselect an options, all the other options that are not available automatically deselect. Cargurus doesn't do that. My design actually makes it much easier to know what options are available still. But the one guy said things kept changing when he made selections. Well duh, he obviously didn't read what it says right on the page and he obviously didn't watch the tutorial. He would have known that if he had done either.

I have given people two options for understanding the website. Either they can read the instructions, which are on each page and are pretty short and to the point, or they can watch a video. People have different learning styles, and I am giving them those options.

Claiming my website should not require a tutorial is like claiming no one should need to take a class to learn how to use Excel. My website is a tool, akin to Excel.

So no, all of you complaining my website shouldn't need a tutorial are not giving me any constructive feedback. It is apparent that most of you have no idea what constructive feedback is. Constructive feedback means giving a problem AND a solution (i.e. my brother-in-law said he didn't like having to switch back and forth to the about tab and would like tool tips). Without a solution, it is just feedback, not "constructive feedback".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
you really don't care

He'd rather be right than rich.

It is apparent that most of you have no idea what constructive feedback is.

That's it.

You're done.

Yesterday I said I was DONE trying to help you. And now, everyone else is DONE helping you. You've besmirched multiple entrepreneurs here who have done 10,000X as much as you and succeeded 10,000X as much as you. And yet, they don't know what constructive criticism is?

Get f*cking lost.

This thread will remain open for anyone else to comment and your links siphoning traffic from here will be removed.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
The OP's unfortunate attitude aside, I got some great feedback for building websites and UI errors to avoid. I'm also a huge UI fan so to read constructive feedback like that about the importance of UI was cool. I nodded. That post above by @Argue was like a flower in a war zone. Took me completely by surprise and was good to see. In amongst the kefuffle he stepped up to go above and beyond the call. To think that a member would take the time to create a mock up suggestion for free and without being asked, in their own time, was a total surprise (although maybe it shouldn't have been).

I was also pleasantly surprised to see how much people continued to try to help even after the OP proved to be a prickly (or at best benign) receiver of said advice - many of you persisted. That was admirable and I commend all the members who really tried to help. Even after sharing their disdain of the OP some then proceeded to offer lengthy and detailed advice and feedback. That was great to see.

Surprisingly, I got a lot from this thread. Trying is one thing (and he was given kudos for that several times) but when people step up to help (constructively and with good heart) you have to let them. I know that if anyone stepped up to try to help me as much as you guys did this guy I'd be extremely grateful. Quite a few posters in this tread have gone up a notch in my book.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
How the hell did I miss this thread?!

I just read this and it was like watching a bus full of nuns slowly crash into a bus full of puppies.

Wow.

Practician

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 20, 2017
USA
Wow, lots of great advice, and I too am impressed by how much Argue and others contributed.

I find that it's hard to get public feedback on a site sometimes, especially if you are wary of people copying the core idea prelaunch.

I have paid pro copywriters and designers 10-15 bucks for a few minutes of private feedback for this sort of thing. Cheapest alternative to hiring them for 100s-1000s of dollars for product creation.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This thread was F*cking hilarious lmao.

"Have you watched the tutorial?" is going down as one of my favorite lines in FLF history.

@MJ DeMarco just encapsulated it all. He'd rather be right than rich.

How do you F*ck up THIS bad? If he went to a conference or trade show acting this way, he'd never be invited back again.

He even read the book! F*cking sad. If he thinks THIS is bad, wait till he gets his ego F*cked from all directions by actually LAUNCHING the damn thing.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

"Have you watched the tutorial?" is going down as one of my favorite lines in FLF history.

How do you F*ck up THIS bad? If he went to a conference or trade show acting this way, he'd never be invited back again.

He even read the book! F*cking sad. If he thinks THIS is bad, wait till he gets his ego F*cked from all directions by actually LAUNCHING the damn thing.

The video was worth the price of admission. No more than a 30 secs in he is on his "About" page. "This is the most important page, DONATE!!! DONATE!!! DONATE!!!". I literally spewed my drink everywhere.

Here is the video. lol

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The video was worth the price of admission. No more than a 30 secs in he is on his "About" page. "This is the most important page, DONATE!!! DONATE!!! DONATE!!!". I literally spewed my drink everywhere.

OMG I just watched his tutorial. That does make this thread even more hilarious. Most important page is the ABOUT page, then the warranty, then at 2 minutes in it goes to the search page, then 10 minutes of using the search page.

But at least the tutorial shows us how to use a contact us page.

Talk about someone having no clue.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Holy crap, a couple days off the forum and I missed all of this?! lmao.

I didn't notice the tutorial either until @Raoul Duke linked it to the thread and wow, just wow. I stopped watching after 5 seconds of hearing "this will be a quick tutorial" and then noticed it's over 12 mins long, lol!

Definitely a notable thread for the folks who request actual honest feedback and constructive criticism. I saw this train wreck from the very first post. There's no point in asking people for feedback and not accepting it, whether it's good or bad. The worst thing in the world is asking someone for feedback and them lying to your face about how great it is to avoid risk of hurting your feeling, f that! Wrong! I want honest feedback, raw with no filters. If what I'm doing is wrong or in a negative direction, I want to know so I can make the changes needed and not be blinded by the real facts.

Not too long ago, I came across an awesome design which I thought would fit my collection perfectly, but when I showed multiple people it including my target audience, they said it sucked, it was horrible, perfect, I scrapped it and tossed the idea down the trash. How are you going to succeed with any business if you're the only customer?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

Funny thing... I just got back from a trade show and I had two venders that literally wouldn't tell me how to buy items from them! They had products I wanted to carry on my websites. They had prices that left me reasonable margins. The one vender literally wouldn't tell me how to buy his products. I straight up asked him "if I want to order x amount of product xyz how do I do that?" He wouldn't tell me! The other vender was even worse and got mad at me that I knew what MAP pricing was. I finally I just chucked his business card back on his table told him I would buy from his competitors and walked away.

MJ is right some people would rather be right than rich.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I think the biggest thing in this thread is he was given ideas to build a site that people actually need... and couldn't get past his hang up that the site he made wasn't needed.

BTW I just recently starting looking to buy an SUV with 3rd row seating... it really isn't that complicated to google SUVs with 3rd row seating, see what suvs have that and then pop those suvs into autotrader or Craigslist.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My memory sucks, but I'm trying to remember a time when I was 20 years old and struggling as an entrepreneur...

I CANNOT remember the "when and where" I had the opportunity to not only consult with successful entrepreneurs, millionaires, and people living a dream -- but I also CANNOT remember the time where I had the opportunity to shit on their advice and call it "not constructive" simply because my ego was bruised.

He'd rather be right than rich.

In this case, he is right, and everyone, including the market itself, is wrong.

Talk about someone having no clue.

Why would someone watch a 12 minute video to do something that takes 3 seconds at Google?

"Oh, but this website does more than Google, watch the video"

This is a case of someone having such a self-indulgent focus that they cannot see the forest through the trees.

Curious, does ANYONE watch a 12 minute tutorial explaining how to use a search function on a website? Is this what he does when visiting a random website? Hmm... let me spend 12 minutes and figure how to use this thing...

Free is NOT free when it eats up 12 minutes of your time.

12 minute tutorials are for complicated applications, like SM dashboards, project management SAAS stuff, and various other B2B tools designed to increase productivity/profitability.

People will love this website because I built it and because I say it's valuable.

No one is going to watch a 12 min tutorial over something that generally is perceived as Google-able. And in order to discover that perhaps the website might help you beyond google, you have to spend 12 minutes finding out.

Ain't happening.

Last edited:

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
My memory sucks, but I'm trying to remember a time when I was 20 years old and struggling as an entrepreneur...

I CANNOT remember the "when and where" I had the opportunity to not only consult with successful entrepreneurs, millionaires, and people living a dream -- but I also CANNOT remember the time where I had the opportunity to shit on their advice and call it "not constructive" simply because my ego was bruised.

In this case, he is right, and everyone, including the market itself, is wrong.

Why would someone watch a 12 minute video to do something that takes 3 seconds at Google?

"Oh, but this website does more than Google, watch the video"

This is a case of someone having such a self-indulgent focus that they cannot see the forest through the trees.

Curious, does ANYONE watch a 12 minute tutorial explaining how to use a search function on a website? Is this what he does when visiting a random website? Hmm... let me spend 12 minutes and figure how to use this thing...

Free is NOT free when it eats up 12 minutes of your time.

12 minute tutorials are for complicated applications, like SM dashboards, project management SAAS stuff, and various other B2B tools designed to increase productivity/profitability.

People will love this website because I built it and because I say it's valuable.

No one is going to watch a 12 min tutorial over something that generally is perceived as Google-able. And in order to discover that perhaps the website might help you beyond google, you have to spend 12 minutes finding out.

Ain't happening.

He can't be wrong, he spent time and money on that site. He just can't be wrong...

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you all know about a new car research website called [link removed] The reason I decided to do this website is because I read the book, The Millionaire Fastlane . It is unlike any other car research website on the internet! You can filter by make, model, model year, engine type, drive type, transmission, induction, cylinders, doors, passengers, convertible, minivan, rear type, cab type, box type, price, horsepower, torque, pounds per horsepower, length, height, and curb weight! And you can sort by any criteria on the search results! Check it out and share with your friends and family.

Do you want to know which vehicles you can get with a manual transmission? There are 192 options!

Do you want to know which vehicles you can get with over 400 horsepower? There are 270 options!

Do you want to know which vehicles you can get with AWD or 4WD? There are over 300 options! What about with RWD? There are also over 300 options for RWD!

Do you want to know which vehicles you can get that seat 8 or more people? There are 55 options!

Use the search criteria to narrow down your results. Finding this information on your own would take hours, if not days, of research. With this tool, it will take you a few seconds. Have fun!

Any suggestions on how best to promote the website is much appreciated.

[link removed]
Not a bad website, though in my opinion I'd say most people who are looking for these answers don't need the exact specifications as in the warranties provided as a basis for each manufacturer. Maybe if they were ranked by the leading manufacturers. I'd say maybe approach the marketing of your business via conversation than a scripted advertisement on forums.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Funny thing... I just got back from a trade show and I had two venders that literally wouldn't tell me how to buy items from them! They had products I wanted to carry on my websites. They had prices that left me reasonable margins. The one vender literally wouldn't tell me how to buy his products. I straight up asked him "if I want to order x amount of product xyz how do I do that?" He wouldn't tell me! The other vender was even worse and got mad at me that I knew what MAP pricing was. I finally I just chucked his business card back on his table told him I would buy from his competitors and walked away.

MJ is right some people would rather be right than rich.

Why in the world would they not tell you how to order?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Why in the world would they not tell you how to order?
That's a good question lol. My best guess is that they were both older (60+) and I'm in my 20s and they didn't think I was a real buyer. The other possibility is they just didn't want more business which then the question is why be a vender at a trade show.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
That's a good question lol. My best guess is that they were both older (60+) and I'm in my 20s and they didn't think I was a real buyer. The other possibility is they just didn't want more business which then the question is why be a vender at a trade show.

I don't want to dispute you but brand awareness could be a reason why they were there without the wants to sell? I mean it sounds silly because if they were full on they could scale but some people are content with where they are.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Wow. Had stopped following this thread and clearly missed the party.

You can lead a horse to water.... but it might be a dumbass horse.

This thread should be required reading for new members. A cautionary tale. Like those videos they made you watch in the 6th grade where you take one puff of a joint and end up going to prison for murder while your pregnant toothless girlfriend finds comfort in the arms of another man.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.