The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

Steve_O

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 10, 2017
California
Hmmm... That name is awfully close to mine... Don't be dragging me through the mud or anything. :)
Hahahaha...so sorry, I didn't do a R or TM search before I registered. Didn't mean to plagiarize. I usually use the "_"....I'll keep it neat and tidy....for both our sakes...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
@Steve_O

USPS is almost always the cheapest way to go when you are getting started (no negotiated rates). There is nothing unusual about your product size and it should be pretty cheap to ship. $17 is insane, I cant believe that was a quote they provided. Like bio mentioned, USPS has flat rate boxes, anything that will fit in them will ship for one flat rate. The USPS worker should have at least pointed you in this direction!

Here is a link to a page that talks about it, but the attached image below seems like it would fit your packaging quite nicely and the pricing is much better than you currently have. Priority Mail | USPS

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 11.26.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 11.26.17 PM.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 46

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Hey @biophase, I have a question that might not be usual for the composition of this thread. Namely, I am doing freelance product copywriting and I am looking to expand my customer base to Amazon and non-Amazon e-commerce business owners. Do you have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

Shamrox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
Jan 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey Biophase.

First of all thanks for this awesome thread! The information, advice, and (frankly) consulting you and other Fast Laners offer never fails to blow me away. I've been more of a lurker than a contributor. That will change soon when I have plenty to share.

I'm almost finished reading one of ICKs threads. This thread is next on my list, so forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been touched on. I'm trying to get a balance between learning from you folks and executing every day. I'd love to screen-stare all day but there are people out there that need my help, and Ima help them :D

Just a little background, I guess. I've started a number of companies since I was 18 until now (I'm 29 - almost 30). They've all failed. Which is awesome. Because I've learned something from each failure and have come out the other side stronger. That being said, I wish I'd known about this forum and MJs FLM earlier in life. What a book! I only just read it in January. My past businesses ranged from cleaning and general maintenance to video production and filmmaking. Those were things I knew and was comfortable with and that was the problem. I was chasing money, not trying to help people.

I now have an amazing e-commerce idea aimed at a nice wee (but not too wee) niche market. The difference this time is, instead of coming up with my own idea, I figured out a bunch of people are in need of something and I can help them in a most excellent way.

One of my challenges: a huge chunk (even the majority) of my market is in the U.S. I'm based in the U.K. I've sourced my materials and am waiting for samples. I will be setting up my e-commerce site using Squarespace at the end of the month (unless I find something better in the meantime). I've booked off most of my annual leave (from my 8 - 7) to work on getting the ball rolling. There are still many unknowns but it is full steam ahead.

I have three options for getting my product across the pond.

1) Ship using a carrier (too expensive so not really an option - international shipping is a minefield)
2) Use FBA (they take a cut and I lose some control. I think I've also ruled this out as I don't believe my product is suitable for Amazon. Part of the appeal is the personalized, high-end feel of the product.)
3) Set up an office in the States to have the product manufactured and shipped from there (this will be a large investment but in my mind makes the most sense in the long run as it also negates import tax. I also have some connections in South Carolina, who may be able to help me get the ball rolling.)

Am I wrong in my thinking?

To be honest, this is all new to me and I'm likely coming across as completely idiot. But, that's why I'm here.

My product is lightweight (less than 300g) so I have that going for it at least. Was wondering if you have any recommendations?

Cheers,
Shamrox

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Thank you so much @biophase and everyone else that has contributed to this thread. I've read through every page and there is a wealth of information, so thank you for that.

Just one quick question. I know since you are an established brand you don't need to spend a lot of money on marketing because of the brand loyalty you've built up. I saw in one post you said that there isn't a need for marketing in general anymore because if you produce a good product and sell it at a good price we'll make sales regardless.

Is this true for new brands as well? Should I dedicate a larger portion of my budget to marketing in the beginning while I build up my brand? Has anyone used a service like clickfunnels to drive sales?

Thanks for your dedication to this thread over the last two years!

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
Do you recommend having the suppliers ship the sample to me to test but the bulk orders straight to FBA if I have no place for storage?

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I found a niche for e-commerce clothing for a very popular, well known brand. Not many people doing apparel for it and there are a lot of easy to rank for keywords with high search ranking.

How do you recommend I go about driving people to my e-comm store to make purchases? I quickly threw together a Shopify store using Oberlo to sync up Aliexpress products so I can prove that I can sell the stuff first, but I'm wondering the best way to go about marketing it?

sumobro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 26, 2017
San Francisco
@Steve_O You should definitely check the prices online and get an account setup for your shipments. I went into UPS myself after sending packages online and found that they were significantly more expensive in a retail location than online. The guy at the desk even told me that what he gave me was the best price he can give in person but that pricing is different online.

Most of the shipping companies have negotiable rates based on volume, if the UPS website is still expensive, companies like Shyp or other middlemen can pass you their reduced shipping prices (but they'll probably have fees around other things). USPS's one downside is poorer tracking than the other options but is the cheapest to start with.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I found a niche for e-commerce clothing for a very popular, well known brand. Not many people doing apparel for it and there are a lot of easy to rank for keywords with high search ranking.

How do you recommend I go about driving people to my e-comm store to make purchases? I quickly threw together a Shopify store using Oberlo to sync up Aliexpress products so I can prove that I can sell the stuff first, but I'm wondering the best way to go about marketing it?

I'm confused, are you selling a well known brand on your website that you are getting from Aliexpress?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase, I have a question that might not be usual for the composition of this thread. Namely, I am doing freelance product copywriting and I am looking to expand my customer base to Amazon and non-Amazon e-commerce business owners. Do you have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

You could probably SPAM amazon sellers just like the china factories and review companies do.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have three options for getting my product across the pond.

1) Ship using a carrier (too expensive so not really an option - international shipping is a minefield)
2) Use FBA (they take a cut and I lose some control. I think I've also ruled this out as I don't believe my product is suitable for Amazon. Part of the appeal is the personalized, high-end feel of the product.)
3) Set up an office in the States to have the product manufactured and shipped from there (this will be a large investment but in my mind makes the most sense in the long run as it also negates import tax. I also have some connections in South Carolina, who may be able to help me get the ball rolling.)

Am I wrong in my thinking?

To be honest, this is all new to me and I'm likely coming across as completely idiot. But, that's why I'm here.

My product is lightweight (less than 300g) so I have that going for it at least. Was wondering if you have any recommendations?

Cheers,
Shamrox

With your lightweight product #2 would work for fulfillment, but then you said it's personalized, so where does that actually happen? Now I'm thinking #1 would be the least headache for you and your customers.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just one quick question. I know since you are an established brand you don't need to spend a lot of money on marketing because of the brand loyalty you've built up. I saw in one post you said that there isn't a need for marketing in general anymore because if you produce a good product and sell it at a good price we'll make sales regardless.

Is this true for new brands as well? Should I dedicate a larger portion of my budget to marketing in the beginning while I build up my brand? Has anyone used a service like clickfunnels to drive sales?

Thanks for your dedication to this thread over the last two years!

I don't need to market because people find my new products through my older, ranked, products. When you start out, you will need to do some marketing to get people to see your brand and product. You can't just put it on Amazon and expect it to sell (unless you pick any easy niche). You should run some PPC to it from the start.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you recommend having the suppliers ship the sample to me to test but the bulk orders straight to FBA if I have no place for storage?

That's a tough recommendation. In general I don't recommend shipping directly to FBA because you have no quality control and Amazon knows what factory you are using. I'd ship to myself and then reship to FBA, but that's me.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I'm confused, are you selling a well known brand on your website that you are getting from Aliexpress?

Well known brand that already exists. They don't do clothing apparel though. Would sell Ecom apparel of this brand (customized designs etc) from aliexpress

Insaint

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Sep 11, 2015
Europe
Well known brand that already exists. They don't do clothing apparel though. Would sell Ecom apparel of this brand (customized designs etc) from aliexpress

You will get destroyed by the brand the second they see you selling apparel. Copyright/counterfeit claims are no joke. Well known brands don't sell through AliExpress and you can't even claim ignorance because you said they don't do clothing.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
You will get destroyed by the brand the second they see you selling apparel. Copyright/counterfeit claims are no joke. Well known brands don't sell through AliExpress and you can't even claim ignorance because you said they don't do clothing.
@Insaint beat me to it. You're headed for trouble if you continue this path.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Thanks guys - I noticed a lot of companies like RedBubble and TeeSpring having people recreating the art-work and selling t-shirts for profit.

The thing I found was a few easy-to-rank-for keywords on google - but that's only because, as pointed out above, it's illegal and infringing on copyright.

The only reason these guys get away with it is because they haven't been hit with a cease and desist notice (yet). I'll steer clear. Thanks

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
Thanks guys - I noticed a lot of companies like RedBubble and TeeSpring having people recreating the art-work and selling t-shirts for profit.

The thing I found was a few easy-to-rank-for keywords on google - but that's only because, as pointed out above, it's illegal and infringing on copyright.

The only reason these guys get away with it is because they haven't been hit with a cease and desist notice (yet). I'll steer clear. Thanks

Or,

Contact the company and see if they will let you license their brand for use on apparel. Of course, then you'll have to fight the counterfeiters yourself, but if there is a market there...

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I would first get about 25 reviews before running PPC on Amazon... otherwise you're just giving Amazon free money. You might get some exposure, if that's what you're looking for. If you're looking for sales, don't run PPC on a 0 review product.

Also, something I noticed amongst my group of private label sellers and some people on here is that everyone is rushing towards Amazon.com... for those that live in the U.K./Canada, I would HIGHLY suggest you start there as there are MANY untapped niches. Amazon.com is very saturated... there still is a bit of opportunity, but it's quite hard to find a niche without many established sellers. Sure, volume on the other sites is not nearly as big as Amazon.com, but; you'll be surprised at the opportunities you can find.

I started a beauty product on one of the amazons (not .com), I got about 20 reviews and I'm on the first page selling 35-40 units a day... Opportunities are out there, start branching out. Don't follow the crowd.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Or,

Contact the company and see if they will let you license their brand for use on apparel. Of course, then you'll have to fight the counterfeiters yourself, but if there is a market there...

Yep, just sent in a request to learn more about licensing. Looks like they have a couple of people they have licensed the right to already.. going to learn about the process / costs.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Yep, just sent in a request to learn more about licensing. Looks like they have a couple of people they have licensed the right to already.. going to learn about the process / costs.
To be honest, if it's a well known brand, don't waste your time.

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
for those that live in the U.K./Canada, I would HIGHLY suggest you start there as there are MANY untapped niches. Amazon.com is very saturated... there still is a bit of opportunity, but it's quite hard to find a niche without many established sellers. Sure, volume on the other sites is not nearly as big as Amazon.com, but; you'll be surprised at the opportunities you can find.

I started a beauty product on one of the amazons (not .com), I got about 20 reviews and I'm on the first page selling 35-40 units a day... Opportunities are out there, start branching out. Don't follow the crowd.
Yep I was considering using Amazon.ca since Canadians, myself included prefer to go to Amazon.ca to purchase stuff. The only time I'll purchase from .com is if the product is not on .ca or the price is absolutely insane. If that's the case then I can take advantage of that and I could sell that product for a reasonable price.

However you don't think you could be missing out on a ton of sales? Only Canadians use amazon.ca, so your customers are from Canada only.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would first get about 25 reviews before running PPC on Amazon... otherwise you're just giving Amazon free money. You might get some exposure, if that's what you're looking for. If you're looking for sales, don't run PPC on a 0 review product.

I disagree with this as you don't need reviews to get sales. I have alot of top sellers with under 10 reviews. You just need a good product because in the old days, there weren't any reviews on any ecommerce sites! I wish I still had my screenshot of my #1 new release with 0 reviews.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Keep your hands of any brand that isn't yours. You have no guarantee that you will be the only one selling, it's like co-driving with a drunk driver. Your control is extremely limited.

Trust me, I have bad experience with this.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I disagree with this as you don't need reviews to get sales. I have alot of top sellers with under 10 reviews. You just need a good product because in the old days, there weren't any reviews on any ecommerce sites! I wish I still had my screenshot of my #1 new release with 0 reviews.
I would assume it was in a less traffic niche? Getting organic sales with 0 reviews in supplements is virtually impossible, especially now.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Hello Again,

Just got ungated for beauty category...going to send my first shipment to FBA/create my first listing...

Is the process of ranking still getting friends/family to purchase your product and leaving reviews and lowering your price to get sales -> raising it again? When lowering your price, should I lower it as a sales price, or normal price? My product is a lotion that people will buy again and again, so I wouldn't want my customers to have a negative reaction to the increase in price, unless of course it was a sales price that was temporary then I feel like they would understand.

Also what are some tips of creating an optimal listing? Any info a first timer needs to know that I wouldn't likely discover myself?

Last edited:

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Thanks a lot for your response @biophase.

So far I've selected a niche and found a product I like. Right now the only ones like it selling on Amazon are for commercial use, but I plan on making some changes and selling one made for personal use. I've reached out to people and influencers within the niche and have received a lot of positive feedback. I'm working with a CAD designer as we speak.

My question is in regards to branding. I'm aiming to make it more of decorative piece so it appeals to people to use in their homes, while still having the same functions it has on the commercial side. If I plan on creating a design to put on it, how do I get my branding on the product? I know branding is important on Amazon, so I still want to get my brand name and logo out there, but I don't want it to take away from the design of the product.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Any help and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would assume it was in a less traffic niche? Getting organic sales with 0 reviews in supplements is virtually impossible, especially now.

Actually it was a pretty competitive niche with high traffic. That product is now #1 organically.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.