The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you only buying traffic?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Are You Only Buying Traffic?

You’re in business to:
  1. Find out what people want.
  2. Find out how to sell it to them.
  3. Find out if you can make a profit doing so.
  4. Fail fast, refine until you’re profitable, or scale up.
If someone searches for “wedding rings Dublin”, then you know they are in the market for wedding rings, and that they are at the end of the buying cycle (since they are searching by location).

You could run a test using different ad headlines such “Luxury Wedding Rings”, “Affordable Wedding Rings” or “Custom Wedding Rings”.

The ad that gets the most clicks would tell you what is foremost in the mind of the searcher.

While fine-tuning this campaign you find out search volumes, cost-per-click, cost-per-lead, cost-per-sale, and whether you can get a positive ROI.

With this information you can either refine until you’re profitable or “fail fast” and move on.

With paid search, by the time you’ve got to step 4, you’ve already done steps 1 to 3 and have either a profitable sales funnel or not.

The biggest benefit of AdWords paid search is to use this purest form of cold traffic to evolve your business offering so that you give the market what it actually wants, and not what you hope it wants.

If you’re not using paid search like this then you’re only buying traffic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA

You’re in business to:
If someone searches for “wedding rings Dublin”, then you know they are in the market for wedding rings, and that they are at the end of the buying cycle (since they are searching by location).

You could run a test using different ad headlines such “Luxury Wedding Rings”, “Affordable Wedding Rings” or “Custom Wedding Rings”.

The ad that gets the most clicks would tell you what is foremost in the mind of the searcher.

While fine-tuning this campaign you find out search volumes, cost-per-click, cost-per-lead, cost-per-sale, and whether you can get a positive ROI.

With this information you can either refine until you’re profitable or “fail fast” and move on.

With paid search, by the time you’ve got to step 4, you’ve already done steps 1 to 3 and have either a profitable sales funnel or not.

The biggest benefit of AdWords paid search is to use this purest form of cold traffic to evolve your business offering so that you give the market what it actually wants, and not what you hope it wants.

Thank you for this post , but please correct me if I am wrong .
You use Adwords to find needs/what people want first and then go from there ?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for this post , but please correct me if I am wrong .
You use Adwords to find needs/what people want first and then go from there ?
Sometimes.

Sometimes the client is already selling a service/product, and that's what I try to sell.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

You’re in business to:

Good post @Andy Black is there a link to see your topic is searched for or what gets the most searches ? I ask because I am in the process of opening a commercial cleaning business and i want to choose a topic/subject that gets searched for. For example I want to know if people search more cleaning service or commercial cleaning service

samsara

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Mar 6, 2013
Mexico
Good post @Andy Black is there a link to see your topic is searched for or what gets the most searches ? I ask because I am in the process of opening a commercial cleaning business and i want to choose a topic/subject that gets searched for. For example I want to know if people search more cleaning service or commercial cleaning service

Google Keyword Planner

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As @samsara says, the Keyword Planner.

In my thread on the inside I have a video showing me using it with a client. I also recently dropped a video on the outside showing me cateorising keywords with Excel.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump

@eTox ... this thread might help you.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey Andy! Not sure if thread-resurrection is too warmly welcomed here, but I had to ask.

So say I want to do the same thing you did in one of your examples. On Tuesday morning, between 7 and 8 in the morning, I'm going to throw $10 at AdWords to simply see how the market reacts.

Am I doing this at $10/hr. with one keyword? (Ex. 'Learn afrikaans')

Or am I doing this with 50 keywords at $.20/piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy! Not sure if thread-resurrection is too warmly welcomed here, but I had to ask.

So say I want to do the same thing you did in one of your examples. On Tuesday morning, between 7 and 8 in the morning, I'm going to throw $10 at AdWords to simply see how the market reacts.

Am I doing this at $10/hr. with one keyword? (Ex. 'Learn afrikaans')

Or am I doing this with 50 keywords at $.20/piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Load all your keywords. $0.20 bid price is probably too low. Bid maybe $1.00 to kickstart the Google algorithm. Have a daily budget of $10. See what happens.

Make sure you bid tight enough or you'll not learn anything. (Modified broad, phrase, or exact - don't use broad match).

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Load all your keywords. $0.20 bid price is probably too low. Bid maybe $1.00 to kickstart the Google algorithm. Have a daily budget of $10. See what happens.

Make sure you bid tight enough or you'll not learn anything. (Modified broad, phrase, or exact - don't use broad match).

Cheers man.

So I go in, set up a new campaign for +Learn Afrikaans, and a separate for things like +Learn Afrikaans Online.

I set the bid for $1, $10 max, pointed to a landing page and run for an hour?

I'd love a post you mentioned in another thread about using AdWords to run that hour test!

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018

Hi Andy. Am I understanding this correctly?

1 We use campaigns to sort the adgroups/keywords by theme?
2 If we have a different number of adgroups/keywords across the campaigns (e.g. campaign 1 has 10, campaign 2 has 20) should the budgets for both campaigns still be the same? Will that still yield comparable data? Thanks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy. Am I understanding this correctly?

1 We use campaigns to sort the adgroups/keywords by theme?
2 If we have a different number of adgroups/keywords across the campaigns (e.g. campaign 1 has 10, campaign 2 has 20) should the budgets for both campaigns still be the same? Will that still yield comparable data? Thanks.
Have a shared budget across all campaigns.

zcm06

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 21, 2019

You’re in business to:

Hey Andy,

are you using your own money for the initial setup/ad?
how do you transition the service provider into a paying client? For example, Do you have a breakdown of your client onboarding process including how to determine pricing structure?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy,

are you using your own money for the initial setup/ad?
how do you transition the service provider into a paying client? For example, Do you have a breakdown of your client onboarding process including how to determine pricing structure?
This is what we do for the first month or two for a new paying client anyway.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
@Andy Black this method of mining business intelligence is trully incredible, thank for sharing that. Out of the box thinking.

But I have a question if you don't mind:

Are those data brought by reports about people who have seen your ads and sail away (without clicking) like you tell with the original story of your electrician friend ? Does google do that, telling you when and by who your ads has been displayed but not clicked on ?

Or are they brought by you testing multiple headlines and then see what work the best, like you're saying here ?

In the first case, do you know by chance if that's working in Europe ? We have seriously more harsh GDPR laws around here, I've seen this guy on reddit telling that Google Ads consultant in Europe have been screwed by the new laws, and that if google really delete manual bidding we are just f*cked.

What do you think of this ?

Timo.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 26, 2023
When you say "find out what the market actually wants and give it to them", do you mean the continously adjusting and tests in your ads, landingpages and offers until everything is aligned and you are profitable?

So from the start of your campaign, you focus on getting better results and KPIs week after week and month after month. You do this by optimizing based on data and testing different offeres, ads and landingpages. Thats the process of giving the market what it actually wants right?

And an example of just buying traffic would be setting up a campaign and then not optimising anything based on data because you think the ad is already perfect and if nobody buys, its not working.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When you say "find out what the market actually wants and give it to them", do you mean the continously adjusting and tests in your ads, landingpages and offers until everything is aligned and you are profitable?

So from the start of your campaign, you focus on getting better results and KPIs week after week and month after month. You do this by optimizing based on data and testing different offeres, ads and landingpages. Thats the process of giving the market what it actually wants right?

And an example of just buying traffic would be setting up a campaign and then not optimising anything based on data because you think the ad is already perfect and if nobody buys, its not working.
Yes, and a bit more.

Folks who just focus on the visitors to the website often ignore the impression data that tells them what people are searching for.

"We sell red widgets. Let's dial in our sales funnel and sell more of them for a cheaper cost-per-sale."

"Oh, did you know more people are looking for blue widgets?"

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black this method of mining business intelligence is trully incredible, thank for sharing that. Out of the box thinking.

But I have a question if you don't mind:

Are those data brought by reports about people who have seen your ads and sail away (without clicking) like you tell with the original story of your electrician friend ? Does google do that, telling you when and by who your ads has been displayed but not clicked on ?

Or are they brought by you testing multiple headlines and then see what work the best, like you're saying here ?

In the first case, do you know by chance if that's working in Europe ? We have seriously more harsh GDPR laws around here, I've seen this guy on reddit telling that Google Ads consultant in Europe have been screwed by the new laws, and that if google really delete manual bidding we are just f*cked.

What do you think of this ?
Oops. I never saw this reply.

We don't get data about WHO is searching so we're fine.

We get to see impressions for different search terms based on keywords we're bidding on.

We get to test ads to see what appeals most.

GDPR has nothing to do with that.

Timo.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 26, 2023
Hey Andy, I got a question.

When you are not in top ad position, why does increasing the bids lead to more traffic volume?

You are outbidding your competition, but then don't you pay more per click and get less clicks for the same budget? Why can you get more impressions and clicks for the same budget with a higher bid price? Doesn't a higher bid price also result in higher CPCs?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.