The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are You Action Faking? Here's A Way To Know...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
I always wondered whether what I was doing was really moving the needle forward to my goals, or I was just avoiding what I ought to do. Well, I've come across quite the reliable way to know when you're action faking or wether you're actually moving towards your goals in an efficient way.

It's those things you should do that incite uneasiness, that make you feel tense, that make you cringe, that make your heart beat faster because of the work involved, that you know will get you closer to your goals. When that occurs, those are the actions you need to take, but because it feels so new, your brain doesn't want any of it. Strive to do them, those are the things that will move you forward, else you may be driving in circles.

So, what's a physical indicator of this you can mostly rely on time and time again to know what you need to do?

Action faking: Doing stuff that don't directly move you forward to your goals. E.g. researching or reading books I believe.

Real Action (Where the real progress is made): Has you clenching your butt. EDIT (Thanks to Emman and Angler): Or anything that solves the problem in front of you to get to your goals. That's what you really need to be doing to move forward to your goals.

Take a notepad, and follow along with me. Yeah, take out a pen and paper right now and open it up. In it, write down the real action that gets your heart beating, "Today, I will x". If you did that, you now have one real action you can take just for today that will help you move closer to your goals. Now go crush it I'm rooting for you!

~ A little better everyday, compounds to greatness tomorrow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I'm sorry, but I don't fully agree. Sometimes real action is boring but necessary work. On the other hand, I've also seen/heard of plenty of examples of people who got very excited, "Has you clenching your butt," but in reality were action faking - they just didn't realize it at the time time because it felt like the right thing to do. Many of the things that can be action faking for one person are real action steps for another.

I read a lot. Is that action faking? When I research the laws/regulations surrounding my industry I am doing what must be done to move myself forward - but trust me, there is nothing exciting about this. When I research methods to improve my YouTube videos, or the latest techniques in precious metal recovery, or well name any of a dozen things associate with my journey - I'm not action faking, but putting in the footwork that must be done to keep moving.

Yes, some of my actions did get me excited and likely raised my blood pressure. Leasing my first physical location properly zoned for my industry and then expanding a year later to double the size because I was growing is both exciting and gut wrenching. I'll even admit that I got excited reading MJ's latest book because I was so mired in the day-to-day of running my biz that I was losing track of why.

I applaud that you've tried to quantify action faking. But I don't believe it can be so easily described. I believe that when we are honest with ourselves we can tell the difference. And there in lies the challenge - being honest with ourselves.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
Interesting take on action faking.

I used to beat myself over things that I thought did not move the needle. The thing is though, without the luxury of hindsight, how do you know that you are action faking? How do you know what you are doing isn't moving the needle?

You don't.

Of course, this also does NOT mean do things that don't not align with your goals and drive. If you do the things that don't align with what you want or who you wish to become, it's a waste of time to all ends. You're living to work on someone else's dream, not your own.

Everything I do align with what I want and will become. A producer. A value creator. A badass entrepreneur. That's why I do what I choose to do. And I know that because I am making a conscious choice, I am moving forward in my planned direction.

It just happens that sometime the thing I do fall under "action-faking" when others are doing it. In example gaining insights, that will help me have a clearer vision of what I want, from reading people who walk the paths I wish to thread or engaging on TFLF. It's the same stuff that would coin action faking, yet depending on how you view and use the mean, it's not action faking.

A good way to think about it is will calling yourself out for action faking get you to move faster or feel guilty and stop your flow of process? If you want to feel bad and stop moving forward, you have your scripted friends and family to do so. Seriously, just tell them about your dreams and how you want to touch the lives of millions.

Don't go the mile and doubt yourself, your process, when you already the world behind your back to do it. For FREE.

You can view most things you do in two ways, one that will allow you to move forward without pausing and the other will stop you dead in your track, and cause you to mourn as you look back on "what-ifs".

Instead of I wasted x years action faking. I see it as it took me x years to learn what I really want to do, what not to do, and how I can move forward even faster. Action-faking or not, just don't stop the process. It's not over until you give up or draw your last breath.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Instead of I wasted x years action faking. I see it as it took me x years to learn what I really want to do, what not to do, and how I can move forward even faster. Action-faking or not, just don't stop the process. It's not over until you give up or draw your last breath
I like that sentiment.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Interesting take on action faking.

I used to beat myself over things that I thought did not move the needle. The thing is though, without the luxury of hindsight, how do you know that you are action faking? How do you know what you are doing isn't moving the needle?

You don't.

Of course, this also does NOT mean do things that don't not align with your goals and drive. If you do the things that don't align with what you want or who you wish to become, it's a waste of time to all ends. You're living to work on someone else's dream, not your own.

Everything I do align with what I want and will become. A producer. A value creator. A badass entrepreneur. That's why I do what I choose to do. And I know that because I am making a conscious choice, I am moving forward in my planned direction.

Il se trouve que parfois la chose que je fais tombe sous le coup de la "simulation d'action" alors que d'autres le font. Par exemple , acquérir des connaissances, cela m'aidera à avoir une vision plus claire de ce que je veux, en lisant les gens qui empruntent les chemins que je souhaite suivre ou en m'engageant sur TFLF . C'est la même chose qui ferait semblant d'action, mais selon la façon dont vous voyez et utilisez la moyenne, ce n'est pas de la simulation d'action.

Une bonne façon d'y penser est de vous appeler à agir en faisant semblant de vous faire avancer plus vite ou de vous sentir coupable et d'arrêter votre flux de processus ? Si vous voulez vous sentir mal et arrêter d'avancer, vous avez vos amis et votre famille scénarisés pour le faire. Sérieusement, parlez-leur de vos rêves et de la façon dont vous voulez toucher la vie de millions de personnes.

Don't go the mile and doubt yourself, your process, when you already the world behind your back to do it. For FREE.

You can view most things you do in two ways, one that will allow you to move forward without pausing and the other will stop you dead in your track, and cause you to mourn as you look back on "what-ifs".

Instead of I wasted x years action faking. I see it as it took me x years to learn what I really want to do, what not to do, and how I can move forward even faster. Action-faking or not, just don't stop the process. It's not over until you give up or draw your last breath.
Thank you, it very motivating to Hear your article.

Yogi_Fastlane

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 3, 2022
I always wondered whether what I was doing was really moving the needle forward to my goals, or I was just avoiding what I ought to do. Well, I've come across quite the reliable way to know when you're action faking or wether you're actually moving towards your goals in an efficient way.

It's those things you should do that incite uneasiness, that make you feel tense, that make you cringe, that make your heart beat faster because of the work involved, that you know will get you closer to your goals. When that occurs, those are the actions you need to take, but because it feels so new, your brain doesn't want any of it. Strive to do them, those are the things that will move you forward, else you may be driving in circles.

So, what's a physical indicator of this you can mostly rely on time and time again to know what you need to do?

Action faking: Doing stuff that don't directly move you forward to your goals. E.g. researching or reading books I believe.

Real Action (Where the real progress is made): Has you clenching your butt. EDIT (Thanks to Emman and Angler): Or anything that solves the problem in front of you to get to your goals. That's what you really need to be doing to move forward to your goals.

Take a notepad, and follow along with me. Yeah, take out a pen and paper right now and open it up. In it, write down the real action that gets your heart beating, "Today, I will x". If you did that, you now have one real action you can take just for today that will help you move closer to your goals. Now go crush it I'm rooting for you!

~ A little better everyday, compounds to greatness tomorrow.
Nice Post !

I don't entirely agree, if I didn't read MJ's books and didn't do enough research I wouldn't have landed in this forum, I would have followed the herd and did what others were doing, SEO or Youtube videos without any direction.

I think Action faking is always with respect to your "Intended goals" if you're doing something which is not drawing you closer to your 1/5/10 year goals, then quite simply you're action faking.

"Moving out of the comfort zone" strategy is for growth, once in a while, it's needed, however being an entrepreneur, especially an internet entrepreneur doesn't come easy, it's a multidimensional Chess game.

We're at a stage where technological change has become exponential, any entrepreneur who fails to learn will suffer, however, learning comes through actions and actions only.

A commoditised/saturated business will most likely fail to fulfil CENTS at some stage, I'm beginning to feel that in order to fulfil CENTS, we need to find new ways or opportunities to solve existing problems, either by branding or making the product/service exclusive or to find a gap in the market which no one else is addressing, that will only happen if one Niche's down further, perform "action", then fails, fails fast and then niche further and when you go so far ahead, you will understand why the problem wasn't being solved, maybe it's because something new need to be done, either by the use of technology or applying a unique business strategy, this whole journey usually requires Mentorship or Books, or research, these things are only possible if you "learn" if you don't "action" will take you nowhere.

Another example of how things are, some universities produce some new tech in the USA, but the capitalist market in India will adopt it faster before people here get to hear about the technology in the news, as our Universities are far behind and haven't started a program on it, so NO education is necessary but not degrees, the modern-day education is the Internet, so if you love your "goals" enough, you won't lose your focus and certainly won't do action faking. however, loving your process is key, it will help you develop habits, even if you're willing to die for a cause and have infinite passion for it, you still won't be successful, habits are the key.

"Thoughts lead to words, words lead to actions, actions lead to habits, habits lead to character (identity), character (identity) leads to fate, and fate leads to Destiny." - APJ Abdul Kalam.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.