The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 16, 2017
Hartford ct
Hello guys I want to ask if is anyone out there that has out sourced an app? And if you are not a developer, how did you manage to go through the process from idea to final product?
I ask this because my brother and I are working on writing down a idea I’ve had for some months and it looks like the best fit for it to work is to make the service into an app.
At this point we are planning the different pages the app will need And the logistics , so that we can speak with developers and show them what is that we need to get developed.
I would really appreciate answers that can illuminate the steps to take in the beginning.
Please refer me books that could also help me take a few steps forward.

Thanks guys any advice will really help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello guys I want to ask if is anyone out there that has out sourced an app? And if you are not a developer, how did you manage to go through the process from idea to final product?
I ask this because my brother and I are working on writing down a idea I’ve had for some months and it looks like the best fit for it to work is to make the service into an app.
At this point we are planning the different pages the app will need And the logistics , so that we can speak with developers and show them what is that we need to get developed.
I would really appreciate answers that can illuminate the steps to take in the beginning.

I've never created an app but thought this podcast very enlightening:

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY

1. Sketch out (by hand even) all screens of the app. rough outlines. Think of every possible screen within the app. The login, account settings, etc. Think about every action that a user can take within the app. Skecth it out.

2. Once you have the sketches, create a word doc detailing every sketch (screen of the app) with the functionality needed for each screen in detail.

3. Find and hire a mobile app designer. I'd spend less than 1k. Have them take your sketches and bring them to life.

4. Take your new design files and functionality word doc and start shopping for app developers. Look at their portfolio, reviews, etc. Make sure they are going to be responsive. Talk with several of them. Get bids/quotes. Price will depend on complexity of app and who you work with. I'd stay away from India. Ukraine seems to have good quality for lower prices. Countries like that are usually better than India. Keep in mind, for apps, you have Android and Apple. These are two separate projects typically (double the cost). So decide if you want both. If you do, expect to pay more. Usually you want to build Apple first and then clone it to Android. (i think anyway, that's what my team did)

Once you've narrowed down a developer who quickly replies and answers all questions, hire them. Break out the project into a milestone arrangement. As they complete pieces you release funds. I broke mine into 10-15 milestones. Expect whatever timeline you create upfront not to be met. Plan 30-60 days after your desired timeline to be finished and actually live with an app. Testing takes a lot of time. You have to test multiple phone types and functionality and all the bugs.

The best case is find a developer to hold your hand a little and help answer questions along the way. A good one should assist with most everything. Make sure you have reliable access to them via skype at least. Phone calls in beginning might be good.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
1. Sketch out (by hand even) all screens of the app. rough outlines. Think of every possible screen within the app. The login, account settings, etc. Think about every action that a user can take within the app. Skecth it out.

2. Once you have the sketches, create a word doc detailing every sketch (screen of the app) with the functionality needed for each screen in detail.

3. Find and hire a mobile app designer. I'd spend less than 1k. Have them take your sketches and bring them to life.

4. Take your new design files and functionality word doc and start shopping for app developers. Look at their portfolio, reviews, etc. Make sure they are going to be responsive. Talk with several of them. Get bids/quotes. Price will depend on complexity of app and who you work with. I'd stay away from India. Ukraine seems to have good quality for lower prices. Countries like that are usually better than India. Keep in mind, for apps, you have Android and Apple. These are two separate projects typically (double the cost). So decide if you want both. If you do, expect to pay more. Usually you want to build Apple first and then clone it to Android. (i think anyway, that's what my team did)

Once you've narrowed down a developer who quickly replies and answers all questions, hire them. Break out the project into a milestone arrangement. As they complete pieces you release funds. I broke mine into 10-15 milestones. Expect whatever timeline you create upfront not to be met. Plan 30-60 days after your desired timeline to be finished and actually live with an app. Testing takes a lot of time. You have to test multiple phone types and functionality and all the bugs.

The best case is find a developer to hold your hand a little and help answer questions along the way. A good one should assist with most everything. Make sure you have reliable access to them via skype at least. Phone calls in beginning might be good.
@Gerardo Quijada, the advice given here is solid, especially if your budget is limited. You may want to also check out the bluecloud podcast, the app masters podcast, and the book App Empire

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.