The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

App creation: App Makers Platform Online or Learn to code?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
As I am submerging myself in a totally new territory, I am finding out now that there are App makers platform.
For a week now, I have been learning to code using flutter and dart but my question is,

Do I really need to learn code when there are App making platforms online?
and for lack of better questions which is better?

Ive had a few ideas that I want to hit, like word detection with autoscreen shot. Autolock etc etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
May 9, 2020
Earth
Do I really need to learn code when there are App making platforms online?
and for lack of better questions which is better?
I would say it depends on your situation.

The advantage of App making platforms is you don't need to know how to code. But the disadvantage is that you are limited to the features the platform is offering to you. For instance, if you want to generate PDFs and the platform doesn't have such functionality, you're out of luck. If you learn how to code, you can do basically anything. But learning to code is quite time consuming.

Also a thought about building apps: I started building a few but I realized it's not a fast lane business because it violates the commandment of control. But if you still want to do it, Flutter is a great choice IMO.

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
I would say it depends on your situation.

The advantage of App making platforms is you don't need to know how to code. But the disadvantage is that you are limited to the features the platform is offering to you. For instance, if you want to generate PDFs and the platform doesn't have such functionality, you're out of luck. If you learn how to code, you can do basically anything. But learning to code is quite time consuming.

Also a thought about building apps: I started building a few but I realized it's not a fast lane business because it violates the commandment of control. But if you still want to do it, Flutter is a great choice IMO.
Hey Jardo,
thank you for your input.
can you please elaborate how this violates the commandment of control?
Is it because the apple/google platform?

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Hey Jardo,
thank you for your input.
can you please elaborate how this violates the commandment of control?

I will suggest you ignore @Jardo comment on the commandment of control for now.

Have a look at:
Is This Idea/Business/Blah Blah Fastlane? (Uh, No, It Isn't.)
Is CENTS Destructive To Action?

@Jardo, I will also suggest that you read those threads (both by MJ)

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
I've never seen a good app built by an app maker platform. And if there are, they are probably infested by bugs and what not. They are decent if you want to build a random app for a random restaurant as a 'web presence in the app store'. Otherwise they are a waste of time and resources. You just can't build any useful app with an app maker.

What app do you want to build? For what?

Say a normal fitness tracker app costs $100k to develop, do you have that money to pay someone to design and build the app? Do you know how to promote it?

If you don't have that money laying around - yes you need to learn to code and if you are an absolute beginner, it's going to take at least 6-12 months if you work on it 8 hours every day. And a fitness tracker it's a fairly simple app.

Even if you do have the money to pay someone to build it, it's good to have a fundamental understanding of building apps/coding.

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
I've never seen a good app built by an app maker platform. And if there are, they are probably infested by bugs and what not. They are decent if you want to build a random app for a random restaurant as a 'web presence in the app store'. Otherwise they are a waste of time and resources. You just can't build any useful app with an app maker.

What app do you want to build? For what?

Say a normal fitness tracker app costs $100k to develop, do you have that money to pay someone to design and build the app? Do you know how to promote it?

If you don't have that money laying around - yes you need to learn to code and if you are an absolute beginner, it's going to take at least 6-12 months if you work on it 8 hours every day. And a fitness tracker it's a fairly simple app.

Even if you do have the money to pay someone to build it, it's good to have a fundamental understanding of building apps/coding.
Hello
This is the type of app i wanna create and add more value to it.
Im currently learning JS right now then html css then to react
I have no $$$ no hire

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200513-012803_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20200513-012803_Google Play Store.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 13

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Hello
This is the type of app i wanna create and add more value to it.
Im currently learning JS right now then html css then to react
I have no $$$ no hire

Yeah, 6-12 months of working and learning every day should do it. You won't have a perfectly working app, but as long as you know that you can keep refining it and fix bugs once it's published.

Maybe take a Udemy course on building apps, they are decent.

Good luck!

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
Yeah, 6-12 months of working and learning every day should do it. You won't have a perfectly working app, but as long as you know that you can keep refining it and fix bugs once it's published.

Good luck!
I am currently taking Colt Steeles Javascript bootcamp. Then i have access to codeacademy pro to practice my coding.

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada

Good luck!
Thanks!

Jardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
May 9, 2020
Earth
@Jardo, I will also suggest that you read those threads (both by MJ)

Thanks for this. I read it and it basically says "Don't use CENTS as an excuse not to take action". It implies that building a non-CENTS business is more valuable than doing nothing, because even failure gives your experience.

Believe me, I had my fair share of failures:
  • I've built several websites that nobody wanted to use
  • I created several desktop applications that nobody wanted to use
  • I created several websites which made pennies from Google Adsense
  • My most profitable affiliate website became worthless, because the product it was selling was discontinued
Each of those failures cost me months of hard work and thought me valuable lessons. And the main lesson is that I want my next business to obey CENTS.

Yes exactly. Your app can be removed from the store anytime just for "violating policy". Which part of the policy? Well, try reading the 65 pages to figure it out. Do you feel I've been treated wrong? Try contacting the unresponsive customer support. I know people who suffered from this.

BUT I agree with MJ's posts: Don't use this as an excuse to do nothing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.