The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Design Agency Victory; Next step: TCG Company + App Creation.

Idea threads

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Hello,

Out of respect for both your and my time, I'll do my best to keep this brief. This is here as another win on the forum for web design/digital marketing agencies. I will also detail my processes regarding achieving semi-early success. Furthermore, this will serve as an accountability thread, as well as an information hub for individuals following similar paths.

Agency

My previous business was in a hobby niche: card games, to be specific. Think Magic: the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh, not poker. Nevertheless, my partners and I found success in it, however I could no longer tolerate 90+ hour work weeks dealing with pissed off nerds. It is the quintessential "you're not starting a business for yourself, you're simply creating a job." After 4 years of owning a business in the industry, and over 20 years of industry time, I've met countless store owners that have spent the last 20-30 years working 80+ hour weeks to either break even, or worse, close shop. I made money and dipped, promising to return to help the industry when in a position to do so. Decided to further build on my web developer path, so I launch an agency.

I launched 08/22, and despite only having been open for about 6 months now, I have the freedom I never thought I'd have, doing something that interests me. Everything said, my agency is currently generating about 9k/month, which is about 3x more than I've ever made in my life. I launched this via two primary "attack points." Here's how I did it.

Attack Point 1

Decided early that cold calling/emailing wasn't for me based on math alone. I couldn't afford a staff, so hiring commission-based made the most sense, starting with sales, because if you aren't landing contracts, you aren't a business. I made a post on my social media, and created a "careers" section on my website to allow people to submit resumes. I quickly began receiving resumes and interview requests (mostly friends of friends, and a few previous co-workers), and upon realizing it was real, I started creating sales training material and figuring out an onboarding process. This was rather daunting initially, but after keeping in mind the whole "we're helping business owners, we're providing a valuable service, etc." it started to flow.

Provide value, communicate pain points, and bridge the gap between their pain points and the arsenal of potential solutions you already have. If none of the potential solutions you have seem to be an excellent (because again, you DON'T want "ordinary") solution, you simply research. And you will be researching a lot. By the beginning of 11/2022, I had 5 sales staff working 100% remote. Most of the job can be completed with nothing more than a cell phone.

While all of this was going on, I landed a small gig at a local marketing firm (end of 11/2022). After discussing doing web design through the company, they ultimately decided "we aren't that type of company." I asked if they would be open to sending me leads here and there. They agreed. I was able to get it in writing - from the CEO/original owner - that they were okay with sending me leads, and/or me taking down leads, just in case.

I landed my first client (via lead through my then job) 12/2022 on a retainer in the real estate niche. 8 websites, complete redesign of their brand, hosting, SEO, security, etc. Everything. They were my first client at 5500$/mo. They are still with me. That client wrote me a review, the owner handed out a few hundred of my business cards, and boom. This client has landed me tons of business, unfortunately most of it has been one-offs.

Attack Point 2

Despite knowing day 1 I wanted to be 100% remote-based (unless it grows to a certain point), I knew my location would inevitably be important. I moved about 50 miles out of Chicago. Where I'd eventually launch my business, there were only 2 tech companies attempting to fill demand:

Company A: Owner is a scumbag. Charges you "fair" prices but doesn't actually provide value. Doesn't do the work, and if he DOES produce work, he produces low-quality work, may charge you 2-3 times and say, "oh, sorry, it was an accident." Except this "accident" occurs with nearly every customer.

Company B: Owner is within the family of a major, so the business is successful based on reputation/connections alone. That said, they do provide solid work, but they charge obnoxious prices. The vast majority of locals cannot afford their services, thus this company remains afloat via 3-5 city contracts.

Small town people are easy. They like to see you in-person, or at the very least, they want to be able to call you directly. My path was clear and simple. I hopped on Vista Print and created both business cards and flyers. I then cherry-picked through Chamber of Commerce business lists for 6 different cities, all within 50 miles of my location (distance is based on how far I'm willing to drive; I typically avoided franchise businesses and big box stores on the commerce stuff). I proceeded to snail-mail 500 business cards/flyers to these businesses.

Ended up landing quite a few contracts with this, however most of them are no longer working with me, though a lot of the local businesses are struggling to keep up/maintain.

Current Day

As it stands now, my team consists of the following:

1x Sales Manager
1x Developer
1x Accountant
1x Client Relations (AKA customer support)
6x Sales People

As I said, simplicity is key for me, so my formula for hiring developers is 1 developer = 5 sales people. We are slowly growing to the point of my next hire will more than likely be some sort of "Office Manager" to handle everyone. I upped my commission to a flat 25% for all leads that end with a contract. Our work flow and communication are excellent, but I'm always looking for improvements.

I believe at this point, my biggest goals for the agency would be to potentially look into adding an additional service and clean up some of my pricing structures. I'd also like to eventually re-evaluate my onboarding process for new employees.

Early on, a found a niche service to offer as well. The concept itself has gotten bigger over the years, and I haven't found anyone really offering it. This service has landed us about 15k$, but it is something I'd like to continue exploring and expanding upon. Unfortunately it's a matter of time and as you can tell, I'm already torn a handful of directions.

Additional Information

Technology/Stack/Etc. Used

* Quickbooks
* Asana
* Vecteezy
* Elementor
* WordPress
* MERN Stack (+ PHP and Python)
* Zoom
* Google Voice

Start-up Costs (US)
Hosting (1 year, VPS): 350$
Vecteezy: 10$/mo.
Quickbooks: 25$/mo.
LLC: 160$
Domain: 23$
Business Cards: 60$
Flyers: 115$
Envelopes: ~25$? (can't recall 100%)
Stamps: 315$

Total: 1,083$

I feel I'm missing 1-2 things here. I'll update it if so.

Future Projects

At the moment, my agency is steady and I primarily put time into growing its network and generating leads. It's enough money to sustain myself and reinvest into itself. I've decided to work on my next project, which will relate back to my original industry: card games. The goal of my TCG company is to eventually create my own trading card game, completely revamping the typical systems within said games. But, as with everything, you have to start at step 1.

For me and my company, that is creating an application to serve the card games and those that play them, before branching out to then serving business owners and their stores. Furthermore, I will also be branching out to a trading forum (solving some issues past forums have had for decades), etc. This wrapper will hopefully branch out to gaming in its entirety, including stream/streamer sponsorship, sponsoring teams across multiple genres, hosting tournaments, etc.

So, first up, I'll be documenting my process of creating the application for the trading card game industry. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I will.

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DB1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 6, 2022
Wow incredible work Oso and great progress! Did you have any past technical or sales experience?
I'm also starting a Web design business, working with my first client now, but love that idea of a commission based sales person down the track. Great work again

micky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 24, 2022
Hello,

Out of respect for both your and my time, I'll do my best to keep this brief. This is here as another win on the forum for web design/digital marketing agencies. I will also detail my processes regarding achieving semi-early success. Furthermore, this will serve as an accountability thread, as well as an information hub for individuals following similar paths.

Agency

My previous business was in a hobby niche: card games, to be specific. Think Magic: the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh, not poker. Nevertheless, my partners and I found success in it, however I could no longer tolerate 90+ hour work weeks dealing with pissed off nerds. It is the quintessential "you're not starting a business for yourself, you're simply creating a job." After 4 years of owning a business in the industry, and over 20 years of industry time, I've met countless store owners that have spent the last 20-30 years working 80+ hour weeks to either break even, or worse, close shop. I made money and dipped, promising to return to help the industry when in a position to do so. Decided to further build on my web developer path, so I launch an agency.

I launched 08/22, and despite only having been open for about 6 months now, I have the freedom I never thought I'd have, doing something that interests me. Everything said, my agency is currently generating about 9k/month, which is about 3x more than I've ever made in my life. I launched this via two primary "attack points." Here's how I did it.

Attack Point 1

Decided early that cold calling/emailing wasn't for me based on math alone. I couldn't afford a staff, so hiring commission-based made the most sense, starting with sales, because if you aren't landing contracts, you aren't a business. I made a post on my social media, and created a "careers" section on my website to allow people to submit resumes. I quickly began receiving resumes and interview requests (mostly friends of friends, and a few previous co-workers), and upon realizing it was real, I started creating sales training material and figuring out an onboarding process. This was rather daunting initially, but after keeping in mind the whole "we're helping business owners, we're providing a valuable service, etc." it started to flow.

Provide value, communicate pain points, and bridge the gap between their pain points and the arsenal of potential solutions you already have. If none of the potential solutions you have seem to be an excellent (because again, you DON'T want "ordinary") solution, you simply research. And you will be researching a lot. By the beginning of 11/2022, I had 5 sales staff working 100% remote. Most of the job can be completed with nothing more than a cell phone.

While all of this was going on, I landed a small gig at a local marketing firm (end of 11/2022). After discussing doing web design through the company, they ultimately decided "we aren't that type of company." I asked if they would be open to sending me leads here and there. They agreed. I was able to get it in writing - from the CEO/original owner - that they were okay with sending me leads, and/or me taking down leads, just in case.

I landed my first client (via lead through my then job) 12/2022 on a retainer in the real estate niche. 8 websites, complete redesign of their brand, hosting, SEO, security, etc. Everything. They were my first client at 5500$/mo. They are still with me. That client wrote me a review, the owner handed out a few hundred of my business cards, and boom. This client has landed me tons of business, unfortunately most of it has been one-offs.

Attack Point 2

Despite knowing day 1 I wanted to be 100% remote-based (unless it grows to a certain point), I knew my location would inevitably be important. I moved about 50 miles out of Chicago. Where I'd eventually launch my business, there were only 2 tech companies attempting to fill demand:

Company A: Owner is a scumbag. Charges you "fair" prices but doesn't actually provide value. Doesn't do the work, and if he DOES produce work, he produces low-quality work, may charge you 2-3 times and say, "oh, sorry, it was an accident." Except this "accident" occurs with nearly every customer.

Company B: Owner is within the family of a major, so the business is successful based on reputation/connections alone. That said, they do provide solid work, but they charge obnoxious prices. The vast majority of locals cannot afford their services, thus this company remains afloat via 3-5 city contracts.

Small town people are easy. They like to see you in-person, or at the very least, they want to be able to call you directly. My path was clear and simple. I hopped on Vista Print and created both business cards and flyers. I then cherry-picked through Chamber of Commerce business lists for 6 different cities, all within 50 miles of my location (distance is based on how far I'm willing to drive; I typically avoided franchise businesses and big box stores on the commerce stuff). I proceeded to snail-mail 500 business cards/flyers to these businesses.

Ended up landing quite a few contracts with this, however most of them are no longer working with me, though a lot of the local businesses are struggling to keep up/maintain.

Current Day

As it stands now, my team consists of the following:

1x Sales Manager
1x Developer
1x Accountant
1x Client Relations (AKA customer support)
6x Sales People

As I said, simplicity is key for me, so my formula for hiring developers is 1 developer = 5 sales people. We are slowly growing to the point of my next hire will more than likely be some sort of "Office Manager" to handle everyone. I upped my commission to a flat 25% for all leads that end with a contract. Our work flow and communication are excellent, but I'm always looking for improvements.

I believe at this point, my biggest goals for the agency would be to potentially look into adding an additional service and clean up some of my pricing structures. I'd also like to eventually re-evaluate my onboarding process for new employees.

Early on, a found a niche service to offer as well. The concept itself has gotten bigger over the years, and I haven't found anyone really offering it. This service has landed us about 15k$, but it is something I'd like to continue exploring and expanding upon. Unfortunately it's a matter of time and as you can tell, I'm already torn a handful of directions.

Additional Information

Technology/Stack/Etc. Used

* Quickbooks
* Asana
* Vecteezy
* Elementor
* WordPress
* MERN Stack (+ PHP and Python)
* Zoom
* Google Voice

Start-up Costs (US)
Hosting (1 year, VPS): 350$
Vecteezy: 10$/mo.
Quickbooks: 25$/mo.
LLC: 160$
Domain: 23$
Business Cards: 60$
Flyers: 115$
Envelopes: ~25$? (can't recall 100%)
Stamps: 315$

Total: 1,083$

I feel I'm missing 1-2 things here. I'll update it if so.

Future Projects

At the moment, my agency is steady and I primarily put time into growing its network and generating leads. It's enough money to sustain myself and reinvest into itself. I've decided to work on my next project, which will relate back to my original industry: card games. The goal of my TCG company is to eventually create my own trading card game, completely revamping the typical systems within said games. But, as with everything, you have to start at step 1.

For me and my company, that is creating an application to serve the card games and those that play them, before branching out to then serving business owners and their stores. Furthermore, I will also be branching out to a trading forum (solving some issues past forums have had for decades), etc. This wrapper will hopefully branch out to gaming in its entirety, including stream/streamer sponsorship, sponsoring teams across multiple genres, hosting tournaments, etc.

So, first up, I'll be documenting my process of creating the application for the trading card game industry. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I will.

Thank you!
"You have to start at step one..."

thanks for being selfless.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Good job Oso!

Just for clarity, you weren't already working a web design agency for game-card stores, you just worked long-hours in the industry and wanted a change? Either way congratulations on being able to lay down the foundation and even hire sales staff.

You did use the "hiring" word in ref to your team, are they actual hire employees or do you have them on a contract setup? Your 5:1 sales to dev ratio also gave me a laugh but makes sense, looks like they're calling in your niche across the u.s.?

Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Wow incredible work Oso and great progress! Did you have any past technical or sales experience?
I'm also starting a Web design business, working with my first client now, but love that idea of a commission based sales person down the track. Great work again
Thank you, it's definitely a start. I do have experience in sales and would say I'm good at it, I just don't enjoy it at all, though this is a rather common sentiment. Regarding technical experience, I received a certification in full stack web development, and have worked a few gigs as a web developer, but they were short-lived.

It seemed like the most plausible (and simple) solution. It also helps as I don't have time to micromanage, so by being 100% commission-based, the numbers tell me who works and who doesn't. Thank you again! Looking forward to seeing how far this can go.

"You have to start at step one..."

thanks for being selfless.
I've gained a lot from this forum, and want to do everything I can to give back. Besides, I've learned sharing our journey with those on similar paths not only unites us, but paves a foundation for future entrepreneurs. I look forward to hearing about your journey.

Good job Oso!

Just for clarity, you weren't already working a web design agency for game-card stores, you just worked long-hours in the industry and wanted a change? Either way congratulations on being able to lay down the foundation and even hire sales staff.

You did use the "hiring" word in ref to your team, are they actual hire employees or do you have them on a contract setup? Your 5:1 sales to dev ratio also gave me a laugh but makes sense, looks like they're calling in your niche across the u.s.?
Thank you friend!

My apologies, I should clear that up a bit. I co-owned the card game store with a few friends. I got sick of the industry demands and overhead costs. The store now has 3 locations after being open for ~7 years now. We were clearing about 3M+/year after our first 2 years. The issue is our overhead costs ate approximately 80% of that, and most of these costs are completely unavoidable (e.g. if Pokemon says their product is $500/booster box, you either pay it or you don't have product in your store).

So, after 3 years of 90+ hours/week, I decided I had had enough. At this point, we were clearing about 5M/year, but it was the same problem. We had also just financed a second location, so none of the owners were getting paid still. They had to dip into the store's savings to buy me out. Unfortunately I no longer speak to any of those friends, and last I heard, there may or may not be a falling out between the owners that are left.

I love card games so much, but I swear it's the only industry that hasn't evolved over the years. And the problem is, the store owners that are still around have been around for 20-30+ years, and see absolutely no reason to change what they're doing, despite the fact they've probably been working 90+ hours/week since they opened (and I'd bet every penny I have I'm right about this).

About my hiring: at this point in time, everyone is on a contract (and/or viewed as a "freelancer") sans our developer. I hired our developer on and pay her a salary. I would really like to hire our sales manager on full-time because he's been saving me a ton of time regarding sales training/mentoring.

Admittedly, the developer ratio was thrown together on the fly, but unless my sales team start clearing 5+ contracts/week each, it'll work out for now. Having said that, following our workflow, our developer can have a website ready for review in about an hour.

Yes, as it stands now, we primarily target the US, but I have a few connections that are looking for employment in Canada. I'm not entirely sure if that counts as "expanding," but I have been considering trying them out. My sales team does focus on our niche(s), but we ultimately encourage them to simply look for businesses that need help, assess if they believe we'd genuinely be able to help, and go from there.

We use our niche(s) and personas as a foundation, but aim to provide value to whomever we can.

Edit: I'd like to point out that the "success" is definitely early, and my definition of "success" in this context is "sweet, my business didn't crash and burn... At least not yet."

I am still in the very early stages, so don't be fooled. And it only happened so quickly because I've spent the last 2 years working jobs in the area and researching the hell out of it.

Not a single damn aspect was easy.

Last edited:

capito

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 5, 2021
Excellent results in a short time. Well done!
Following your progress thread

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Update time.

I ended up landing a mentor. Went to a local gathering for business owners and met him there. We got to talking and we have a lot in common in regards to how we view business, how we operate, etc. He started a roofing company 10 years ago knowing 0 about roofing, and now he's getting into real estate.

Regarding the app, lately, I've been getting back into the TCG scene by going to my local Magic: the Gathering tournaments. Having completed my MVP, last week I decided to get real-time feedback, so I took my laptop with me. Treated it like a pitch and pitched my app. In general, the responses were "that would be amazing, but I don't see it working because <X, Y, Z>."

I opened my laptop, and proceeded to show 8-12 people the functioning app. Every person liked it and I was able to collect a ton of feedback regarding potential features, UI updates, etc. Realistically, I could launch the app now, and it would work perfectly fine, except all of my data is dummy data.

Thus bringing us to the next phase: I now have to complete my company website, and begin collecting real TCG store data. Signing up will be completely free for stores, their data will be secure, etc. Once I have real data, fix a laundry list worth of bugs, and update a few pieces of the UI, I will officially be prepared to launch.

At this time, I'm hoping to launch before Summer to catch all of the Summer events. All I've got so far, thanks!

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
I'm going to follow this thread closely. I'm a Magic player as well, and I've had ideas for related apps that I've shelved for the time being, mostly due to market reasons. As you said, dealing with pissed off card game nerds isn't the most fun use of your time.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Quick update!

I've finished up my primary website and have my app hooked up - it's functioning flawlessly. I can already see a few areas I wish to continue refining the UI, but so far this project has turned out 10x better than I could've thought of.

At this point, my biggest issue is essentially getting more store owners to sign up. I was able to get the database (mostly) automated, so outside of monitoring it, I haven't had to do much with it.

Definitely excited to continue getting more store owners in my database. In regards to officially launching before Summer, I am ahead of schedule.

My current timeline:

05/2023: Official launch
09/2023: Major UI update, feature addition
12/2023: Announcement of global implementation
03/2023: Global release

Otherwise, the agency is doing fine. I more than likely need to put a bit more time into it to ensure everything is legitimately fine, but I'm more than happy with its progress.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Thanks.

I'm going to follow this thread closely. I'm a Magic player as well, and I've had ideas for related apps that I've shelved for the time being, mostly due to market reasons. As you said, dealing with pissed off card game nerds isn't the most fun use of your time.
If I'm being completely honest here, I refuse to believe out of all of the card game communities, not a single developer has tried this idea. The problem is I cannot find anything on Google, and again, after 20+ years in the industry, I would've heard about this at some point.

That said, I'm eager to see why/what has prevented this from being created before. At this point in time, I'm guessing if I do have a problem it'll be with one of the game developers/companies, but even that seems unlikely based on what the app itself is doing/accomplishing. We'll see though!

Oh and after having spoken to local players, I can think of at least 3 or 4 other apps players and store owners would absolutely pay for if executed correctly, but instead, I'm going to eventually begin morphing their app ideas into features of my app.

It's really fun because if you analyze the industry, there isn't much tech being utilized. Most store owners are operating the same way they were when they opened in 1990. Once my app has gained a bit of traction (shouldn't take long, tbh), I'll be moving into buying/selling/trading. I already have a handful of ideas that aren't being utilized that would not only automate a LOT of the issues with buying/selling/trading, but I believe is going to increase efficiency tenfold.

Finally, I'll share one of my biggest ideas because, tbh, I'm convinced no one can outdo me in the industry (so feel free to do so!). Trading forums have been a shithole since the dawn of people trading cards online. I will be adding this to my business/website, but with a MAJOR overhaul of how it's currently done/handled.

The eventual goal is to utilize it to overtake TCGPlayer, Troll & Toad, etc, which based on my data/numbers, is not only more than possible, but won't require nearly as much effort/innovation as originally thought. The best part about this industry is the fact that, while the bigger names have been around for decades, they absolutely REFUSE to evolve. Instead of trying to convince them to evolve, I'm going to simply overtake them.

I'm so damn excited for the future.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
It's a wild time to be attempting what it sounds like you're attempting. ChannelFireball's store going away, TCG getting bought by eBay and doing the whole union thing. Seems like a lot of opportunity to me.

I got the same impression as you when I did all my research. Why is there so comparatively little tech involvement in this industry? The way I saw it, there were two markets: the stores and the players. Stores are tough, margins tend to be razor thin and they always seem one bad week away from crumpling into dust and vanishing, which isn't great for business. Players... well, they're either completely broke, or flush with cash that they want to spend on Modern and EDH staples and very little else.

So, maybe it's market? That's what kept me out, I didn't want to deal with players directly, and I didn't want to hitch my wagon to such vulnerable LGSes. I'm interested to see what you've got, because if you've cracked it, I think there should be a lot of potential.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
It's a wild time to be attempting what it sounds like you're attempting. ChannelFireball's store going away, TCG getting bought by eBay and doing the whole union thing. Seems like a lot of opportunity to me.

I got the same impression as you when I did all my research. Why is there so comparatively little tech involvement in this industry? The way I saw it, there were two markets: the stores and the players. Stores are tough, margins tend to be razor thin and they always seem one bad week away from crumpling into dust and vanishing, which isn't great for business. Players... well, they're either completely broke, or flush with cash that they want to spend on Modern and EDH staples and very little else.

So, maybe it's market? That's what kept me out, I didn't want to deal with players directly, and I didn't want to hitch my wagon to such vulnerable LGSes. I'm interested to see what you've got, because if you've cracked it, I think there should be a lot of potential.
It's weird because there's an enormous opportunity, but there also isn't. There is in the context of the industry is wide open for innovation, but unless you've been apart of the community/have connections in the community, you're simply ignored because the current systems are "working fine and we have no reason to change."

If you want to fastlane anything dealing with this specific industry, you either need to be a big name in it, or you have to create something so innovative that it simply cannot be ignored. Personally speaking, while my app isn't exactly "innovative," it is something every card game community has been demanding/requesting since before I picked up my first magic card. That coupled with the fact I have connections and 20+ years in it, and I'm not too worried about it being successful or not.

Admittedly, I cannot answer your question regarding the lack of tech because I'm not sure. Over the years, I've guessed that there has been a simple lack of adequate technology, mixed with the industry actually is. For instance, regardless of how much profit you're generating off of singles, at some point in time, someone has to manually sort the cards, list the cards, price the cards, check the condition, etc. I'm not a genius, but even I can definitely see why/how automating such manual tasks has been viewed as impossible/difficult.

After all, would you trust a "card sorting machine" to not only sort your Black Lotus perfectly, but also ensure it handles the card carefully enough to avoid damaging it? I wouldn't. Other than that, my only guess is the fact that the companies that have the actual control are the companies that own the individual games.

Part of the reason I ditched my brick & mortar is because of exactly what you pointed out: margins. It's really impressive to say, "my business was clearing <X> millions/year after the first 2-3 years in business!" But when you realize out of those millions, 98% of it went to overhead costs (that you literally have 0 control over), it stops being impressive.

The issues are, unfortunately, scattered all over the place. First, you have the fact that everyone thinks they're a backpack vendor now, so if they aren't making 80%+ off of you, they don't do business with you. Secondly (and this especially applies to MTG players), players are starting to refuse store buy prices (and I'm sick of explaining it). Yes, I understand your mint standard card is worth 20$, but if I buy it for 20$ and sell it for 20$, I make 0$. Now how do I get new inventory while simultaneously making 0$? I typically make the "used car" comparison (e.g. car dealerships aren't buying your car - regardless of what it is - at 100% retail because they need to make money off of it sitting there, too).

I could legitimately talk about this for hours! Haha. Instead, I'll slowly try to change the entire industry over the next 2-3 decades.

P.S. EDH players are legitimately the worst community members, and despite the fact I have made 6 figures off of EDH alone, every time someone mentions EDH, my skin crawls. Tbh? F*ck EDH and F*ck EDH players.

Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Hey everyone,

Well, I asked to have some questions answered, and the universe responded in kind, with a level of speed that would astonish The Flash. Shit hit the fan fast. I started receiving opt-out requests from a lot of the store owners last weekend, to the extent of losing one of the bigger franchises that had been onboard.

I then found out on Monday morning (4/3/23) that one of the companies that handles one of "Top 5 TCGs (top 3, depending on where you are)" is more or less threatening to remove store sanctioning if they participate, citing "security concerns."

In 2 days I went from just under 400 participating stores to sub 15. I've ultimately decided to shelve the app, and have since shutdown my company website.

I'm going to continue pursuing this with the TCG company as they're apparently willing to meet/speak with me. But for the meantime, I may have to explore a 2nd business to open/start.

My agency is going well. It's seeing steady growth, and since receiving the news regarding the TCG app, I've shifted to focusing on growing the agency.

I like the idea of operating 2 businesses simultaneously as I need to be busy 24/7. Considering the agency is my only source right now, which has me sitting on my a$$ most of the time, I believe my 2nd business will be something more physical.

I have experience in warehousing, manufacturing, construction, roofing, cleaning, and delivery. I like the idea of cleaning, specifically offices/homes, but delivery is very much booming and I enjoy that, too. I will be thoroughly researching both and looking for potential areas open for value skew, and then going from there. Thanks.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
"What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been."

Agency

The last month has taught me many lessons. Almost immediately after shelving my app and returning to my agency, I realized I have zero desire to operate/own a marketing agency. Even when I was landing daily contracts it felt empty, as if I were stuck on a hamster wheel.

A freelancer I brought on offered to purchase the company from me, and despite the fact the agency was my only form of income, I accepted. I started it for ~1k and sold it for 12X,XXX. I still can't quite retire yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

Biggest lesson learned: If you wanting to start a marketing agency these days, imo, you're better off focusing on one aspect of it, for a specific niche, and lazor-focus on execution. If I were to relaunch something in the digital marketing space, I'd more than likely offer only managed hosting and either PPC or SEO (PPC if you're broke and need money yesteryear, but make sure you can actually manage successful campaigns).

App

After meeting a handful of people I never thought I'd be in the same room with, my app is being taken off the shelf. I've decided to launch it as a web app for the initial 3-6 months of launch, but this will allow me to build out my monetization strategy ASAP. Furthermore, approaching it this way means I will have global implementation day 1.

Once I've made my desired updates/reverts, I will be ready to begin adding stores all over the world. The biggest downfall of this approach, unfortunately, is the fact my DB will need to be handled manually at first. I've also decided to launch a YouTube channel side-by-side with the app. Since I do not have an income at this point, I'm being somewhat frugal. Let's take a look at the "To-Do List:"

Marketing

* Create gaming company logo (have design, making it in Canva)
* Create YouTube Intro/Outro (via Canva)
* Create initial ~5 YouTube videos, confirm YouTube video schedule
* Set-up socials
* Create company support email => "support@<companyname>.com"
* Create gaming company website
* Create/collect privacy policy, ToS, etc.
* Begin handing out business cards, posting in gaming groups, sending it to my connects, etc.

App Itself

* Clean up DB => I'm more than likely gravitating towards utilizing a NoSQL DB
* Clean up and simplify initial UI
* If time permits, add 1-2 minor features; if not, save features for phase 2

While I do have some reservations - especially in regards to my initial monetization - I haven't been this excited for a project in years.

Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.