The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Any of you guys use slack for your businesses?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 2, 2012
Cary, NC
I use discord for my business, I like it much more than slack.

Andy Black

Making a nuisance of himself on Twitter
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve had to use Slack a few times when whitelabelled through other agencies. Never again. I’ll decline work if it means I have to use Slack to manage projects.

WestCoast

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 20, 2008
Currently Traveling
Slack is just awful- I have no idea how it EVER got so popular.

maybe back in the day when it was a novel idea?

It’s like running your business with tin cans and string to communicate.
Slack is like that, except much less intuitive and user friendly.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Since everyone seems to dislike Slack, what are you using that is objectively better? I've "used" Discord, but just for chat functions. Are there features that make it better than Slack that I'm not understanding?

If not, what are other people using for internal communication to keep email from being cluttered?

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Huh. I use slack for 2 businesses, and I'm in several slack groups for community organizations and such too. I think it's pretty good. Discord is also Ok, I guess, but seems less work oriented to me.

We don't use a lot of slack plugins, but we do use the API or other integration options to feed alerts, orders, etc through slack. For example, we have an "orders" channel where the people who need to double check orders can find a feed of them. In addition to being pretty readable, it serves as a sort of backup view in case another system is temporarily down. Similarly, if a machine on AWS starts operating outside normal parameters, we have an "operations_alerts" channel that gets pinged with a graph and info about the machine so we can address it. And when we open new cards in our project management system (clubhouse) there's an updates channel that alerts us so we don't have to use email alerts. Aaaaand if we're testing some kind of email server or something, we'll temporarily dump messages into a slack channel so that we can accept invitations, reset password links, etc., while we're testing (though now we mostly use mailtrap for this).

There's even an insurance company that made a shared slack channel with my business so that their training team could talk about solutions we offer, etc. The channel just sits in my slack organization like any other channel. I think it's pretty useful, anyway.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've tried using Slack because its what all the cool people use. I just can't get into it for some reason. Not because I don't like it, but because no one else uses it that I work with. Everyone is on Skype, which works just fine. To keep projects organized, I use Jira. Communicating with clients goes through me only.

I've tried 'forcing' people to use Slack, and something invariably comes up, and we just end up using Zoom, Skype, email or something we already use.

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I guess people are using it for different things. We mostly use it for text-based chat (including alerts from the bots and such), and passing screenshots back and forth. Calls, screen sharing, etc are all secondary, although it doesn't hurt that they're possible through Slack. It's basically a pretty IRC replacement for us.

Andy Black

Making a nuisance of himself on Twitter
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We use Basecamp. It has areas for chat, much like Slack, and has areas for threads, much like this forum. It also has threads that can be given due dates, assigned to people, and marked as done.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Tom H.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Use Slack daily for my day job. My usage consists mainly of clicking "mute notifications until tomorrow" and then finding a bunch of increasingly aggravated messages from co-workers at the end of day as I've ignored all of their attempts to interrupt me.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Hi Andreas, It is per month, with the first month being half. This is a great question, I...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers