The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another "Friend" Down The Drain. Jealousy or Resentment?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Sorry to hear this man, I know it was posted a while ago but I hope it all works out! Anytime my friends bring up their problems (Relationships or Work) they get mad, and I mean really annoyed when I try to help . It is almost like you cannot give advice anymore, as if the advice you need to supply is "What they want to hear" as opposed to "What they NEED to hear". I'd say being a genius socially means that you are like a conversation chameleon. For instance- Learn how to associate with all kinds of people! Just because you can talk to a neurosurgeon, doesn't mean you should talk the same way to a bum.

So here is what I'm getting at.

It's truly difficult to give fastlane advice. I asked a couple of girls what they are doing with their life, they gave me the run of the mill "Hopefully I'll do this, if I work here long enough and maybe I'll be ok if I do this". Isn't this supposed to be the time where we are ecstatic about starting our careers!!??? It seems like none of them care about succeeding and doing what makes them happy because they think I am some brain-dead guy who just regurgitates material from the internet. Its fear that stops them, this stuff seems like fantasy because they'd rather have the easier, more painful way which is working for somebody else! When I go indepth and explain to them some of the options they have and how much they are capable of, they kind of do the "cool" thing. Laugh, brush me off, make me seem like I'm taking the conversation too seriously, and go back to talking about partying.

It gets better, although I haven't broken through yet- my lifestyle of working on my dream feels great. They go through life with the standard job and their happiness flatlines.... we work hard and they will be picking their jaws off the floor when they see us in the next couple of years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jaywolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jul 31, 2012
It IS difficult to give fastlane advice because most people don't want to hear it.

Also, it has never bothered me more in life than now when I hear about people talking about their futures so nonchalantly as if they were talking about what tv show they were going to watch that night. This is reality! You can either stand out and be a leader, be a pioneer, forge new pathways and have people follow and be awe-inspired by your success, or take your future like a joke and sit in the back, blend in with the crowd and wonder where your life went 30 years from now!

All I know is, at that point I'll be flying over those people in my private jet laughing as I watch my money pile up!

The A.D.

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 25, 2012
I asked myself why noone of this slowlane-minded friends recognize that they will profit the most if some of you guys will make it. I mean you can offer them money, freedem, knowledge, happiness and assistance and help to break out from their boring and arduous life when you succeeded with your business. But the point I am wondering the most is: do they really know what the american dream is about? You have so many entrepreneurs like steve jobs, bill gates, marc zuckerberg, peter thiel, mark cuban, leslie wexner, ray kroc, fred de luca, etc. who fullfilled their american dream and turned nothing to something. Why cant you choose them as your role models and why cant your/our friends accept it? Do they really care about these persons or only the money, fame and the goods they produced??? Society, mainly mediocrity, is so superficial. :(

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
In all those profiles and memoirs and interviews of truly successful people, I cannot recall a single one who would seem like they'd spend any time agonizing/whining about "why don't my friends and family support my dreams??? why don't they listen to my advice???" At most they recognize these as simple facts of life. What Jim Rohn would call part of "the mysteries of life... some do... some don't... don't know why." <Shrug>

Here's a scary thought: if you need friends and family to be supportive of your efforts, and they aren't, and if this actually bothers you so much that it causes significant frustration, then maybe they are right. Sometimes "dream stealers" are simply people who see clearly that you're just dreaming.

Moneymadness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 15, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I can totally relate with you. I've noticing one particular friend of mine BEHAVED differently when he found out I withdrew the same amount of money if not more on vacation when I hadn't had a JOB in over a year in a half! And he has a decent typical 9 - 5. I guess he was assuming I was bumming it out at home for the longest with no chance of success in sight. He started teasing me as "big-timer" and even started questioning how much it cost to operate my business. I could sense a great deal of jealousy to say the least. Not only that, when I first initially told him about my start up a few months prior, he wasn't AT ALL interested to hear, just pretty directed the topic towards partying and what not. Didn't even bother ask to look at the website I've mention to him about. Nada. Nothing.

I guess some people just feel "threaten" by your success and say they want to help you and support you, but secretly they don't. They want you to give up and drag you back down to their level.

It's also really no point in discussing any fastlane business with them when they have a completely different mindset then yours. Your "new" entrepreneurial mindset is conflicting with your friends. It's like teaching a dog to speak Chinese. They will never understand. I've tried lending the TMF book to a few family members and even convinced and motivated them for about a...week, and after that, they never mentioned about it ever again.

I'd say just choose wisely of your friends. Pick new friends. Dump the old, in with the new. There's plenty of good people on this forum alone!

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Chill man, I know you disagree with their advices, but still, they are your friends. Just listen to their advices, but you don't have to follow their advice. Show them that they are wrong, and you can do it without their help.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
They are giving you advice based on their experiences and the way they think the world works.

Last time I checked, that's how advice is given... Business degree student, Philosopher, Teacher, Parent, Policeman - whatever.

Maybe you need to give them a reality check of what you do exactly?

If I worked on a computer all day and made money from home - and then someone said the work I do is 'scamming' etc... I'd think they are either ignorant, OR they literally have 0 clue to what you do.

Try and educate them in what you do rather than push them away. If that fails and you hit a brick wall, either break the friendship up or just never discuss politics/business/religion with them ever again.

I wouldn't work for someone if they were to pay me 500,000 a year because I know I am far worth that.

That's 5 million after 10 years. I'd be content with that :p

elclandestino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 17, 2013
haters gonna hate

people would forgive you pretty much everything except success and difference!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.