The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy's Inbound/Sales Braindump

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Someone asked how to get clients from Twitter. Here's my reply. I think it might help people even if they're not using Twitter.

My reply:

A year or so ago I bounced around on Twitter for a bit.
I did better connecting with people than posting tweets designed to get followers.

I don't think I got clients out of it, but I found a podcast co-host and a few great people I chatter with occasionally. I consider them peers rather than potential clients.

I'd say to be a bit careful of the advice that teaches how to post for Twitter. I started sounding like a fortune-cookie account and it took all the fun out of my time on Twitter.

I think one of the big advantages of Twitter is you can get in front of founders of big companies. I had a couple of back and forth tweets with Nathan Barry for instance, and Brennan Dunn replied to one of my tweets recently where I asked a question about his SaaS product.

I think if I was to use Twitter to get clients then I'd do good stuff outside of Twitter and tweet about it so that bigger accounts commented or retweeted.

So figure out what the bigger accounts want and give it to them so they want to retweet it.

An example might be that I use Nathan Barry's ConvertKit and Brennan Dunn's RightMessage and blow up an email list using Google Ads and their tools. I might credit their tools for helping me do that, and there's a chance that sparks their interest and I get on their radar. It's in their interest for them to promote strategies that help their SaaS users be more successful. Oh, and Pat Flynn is an investor in ConvertKit. Do you think he might be interested if some tactic helped ConvertKit become more successful?

See how that might work?

Some lines to remember:

"Who already has your clients?" (Jay Abraham)

"Be so good they can't ignore you." (Steve Martin)

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are." (Some smart cookie who climbed Everest)

"People listen to experts, they follow leaders." (Doberman Dan)

Go do interesting stuff and talk about it. People will start following.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Made me chuckle this one Andy

'What really tickles me is how we’ve sold over 40 landing pages without having a landing page to sell them from. And that I still don’t have a website to speak of, just a holding page for my business, and a personal branded domain that redirects to my LinkedIn profile - and I’m in the digital marketing space!'

Now that's irony...
Yeah. It reminds me of this:

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Nice.

What were your key takeaways?

What will you implement this week?
I lost track of where exactly I got which takeaways from you (2-3 threads of yours and your video) but I got most of them here. Here they are:

- Connect, build relationship, allow curiosity, be interested in businesses and their owners, reach out to them to connect and if possible to help out, nothing else in mind really
- Habitually talk about what you do in a natural way
- talk about your thing, help people with your skills
- have some success-stories ready
- Simple website! Offer and target group > website
- Take on an abundance mindset
- Talk about your process, not your results
- Network as an equal

What I will and partly have already started to implement (I'll include it in a progress thread as well)
Tasks:
- Reach out to people who have a business of sort, get coffee, chit-chat, naturally help
- become member of local business groups
- attend local business classes
- Maybe (depends on results of the points above and if it sounds too salesy or not) reach out with having free capacity or maybe "I'm looking for new niches and people willing to talk to me in exchange for me giving advice"

Mindset/habits:
- Habitually talk about what you do in a natural way (do that alone in a room a couple of times and track if you did after every interaction)
- Write down and practice to tell success-stories
- Write down and contemplate on how you're an equal in networking (track after interaction)
- Talk about process, not result / practice and track

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just posted to a thread on the inside:

I get a few decent leads from LinkedIn each month. I use my personal profile and don't have a company page.

Are you posting personally too? I think LinkedIn is a platform that benefits from us personally managing our own accounts and posting regularly.

Don't do "content marketing" per se. Post the content you want ideal prospects to see if they've been referred to you. Maybe get your team to find and curate content for you to post. Also encourage them to post content that helps your business and themselves. Content that explains what they do, why they do it, who they help, how they do it, etc.

Don't just talk about techie stuff. Think who you're ideal prospect is and what they're struggling with, are interested in keeping up to date on, etc.

Find who your ideal prospects also follow and study them. Get into the comments and engage with people who've engaged. If those engagers follow you too then they're more likely to engage with your content too - since they're engagers.

Don't be spammy, just start natural, supportive, and helpful conversations.

Take it to DM where appropriate, but not too early. Try to keep conversations "surfaced" so others can see you're human, and know your stuff.

Want to get known as the XYZ Guys/Gals?

Talk about XYZ.

Help people with XYZ.

Be SEEN helping people with XYZ.

I can't remember if you mentioned it, but what consulting services do you provide?

You just mentioned software above. Do your consultants help clients implement software provided by major software providers (Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, etc), or do you code more bespoke solutions?

What other businesses also serve those clients that you could build relationships with? For example, when I was a contract Oracle DBA I built relationships with recruiters who dealt with the large companies that had Oracle implementations, and I built relationships with UNIX contractors and agencies.

Check out this thread if you haven't already:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.