The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Almost 40 and angry

AGP

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
860%
Dec 21, 2018
Sydney
Greetings!

The forum landing page suggested I introduce myself if I want to get the most out of the forum. Seeing I’m not very comfortable sharing myself, here goes.

I decided to join the fastlane forum as I was half way through reading UNSCRIPTED , and I want to change my life.

I’m almost 40 now and I don’t have anything to show for it. I have an incredible girlfriend who’s been with me through thick and thin, but not much else. I don’t own property, investments and I don’t have a career. I work long hours during the day as a forkie and I work at night stacking shelves at a supermarket.
I don’t have time to pursue my passion, which is music and digital art. This isn’t the circumstance I would want to start a family in, let’s put it that way.

So as I’m reading MJ’s books I get angry. I realise I’ve wasted many years on fruitless endeavours and frivolous entertainment/procrastination. And work. I’m angry because I am an individual who does not respond well to authority, and yet here I am more servile than ever. I work my a$$ off and pay taxes and for what? So I can keep working? Barely getting ahead just to be pulled back because modern society and banks need me financially indebted? Keep breaking my back so I can make my employers life easier? Nope, no way. I’m done. I want a future. I want choice. I want to decide what I do with my time. I want to live a fulfilling life that contributes something to the world, and I’m gonna do it whilst I still have the energy and the will.

So I’m hoping I can learn a thing or two from individuals who are walking their own path, and who are successful, or motivated enough to effect positive change in this world. I’m also basically calling myself out, in a way.

That’s where I’m at right now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Welcome!

Good to have you here.

So as I’m reading MJ’s books I get angry. I realise I’ve wasted many years on fruitless endeavours and frivolous entertainment/procrastination.
Fruitless?

Don't think so.

Sure, what you have done ain't gonna lead to a million dollars.

Did you go to college? Joined any clubs? What jobs have you worked in? What were some notable people that you met along the way?

Some of the most successful entrepreneur not only had multiple failures, but also a breadth of experiences behind them. Could be as mundane as working at McDonalds (Jeff Bezos worked at one when he was little) or as crazy as drugs (Richard Branson). Life experiences give us an unconscious competence on how to deal with people and upcoming challenges in life that we often don't have the logics to solve.

I don’t have time to pursue my passion, which is music and digital art.
What kind of music are you interested in? I had some piano and trumpet lessons some years back, but the classical approach wasn't cutting it.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
welkom to the forum AGP,

I understand it must be frustrating to only realize this now, be happy you dident realize this when your 90 in your death bed;)

There are and allways will be people better or worse off in life then you. The best thing what you can do is except that. (whats the alternative?)

I would start of by being greatfull with what I allready have, as you said you have an Incredible girlfriend and i expect you have alot of life experince . Not everyone has this I for one have never had a proper girlfriend.

If you still feel anger try and Chanel it into something productive, as an old mentor of mine once said you can use your anger and frustration as either a burden or as fuel.
So you can hate your self or curse the world or use that as fuel to get up take action and do something about it!

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
I want choice. I want to decide what I do with my time.

You have choice NOW. You are already deciding what to do with your time. That's the key. I realize that you mean you want total freedom of choice as to how to spend your time. But that is in the future for you. The way to get there is to start by owning the little choices and decisions on how you spend your time NOW.

Welcome to the forum!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Great intro! Congrats on deciding to change your life.

You definitely have the correct attitude. Glad to have you here.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Welcome to the forum!

Read the gold and notable threads, and finish the books. 40 is still young and you’ve actually got an advantage over us 20 something’s.....life experience.

Also, read the quote in my signature...just keep on keepin on.

Saavik

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 21, 2018
Hi and welcome! :)

What kind of digital art, exactly? I'm curious because art-wise, I am uniquely non-talented, but I like looking at it. :p

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Glad you joined, buddy. I see some similarities between you and I. My suggestion, learn and focus in a single business skill. Don't worry too much about how it will make you money. The dots will start to connect. I started with learning copywriting and now I am moving onto digital marketing. I set up a website offering Copywriting and SEO. Still have a lot to do. Much to learn.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Harness that anger and turn it into drive and action.

Maybe you’ve had your FTM, enough to make positive change.

Just remember, it’s a journey, and it doesn’t happen overnight.

Welcome to the forum. You’ll find many kindred spirits here, and you bring a lot to the table with your years and life experience.

Don’t underestimate the value you can bring:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I have an incredible girlfriend who’s been with me through thick and thin, but not much else.

Well buddy..... you're already ahead of a lot of folks.

AGP

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
860%
Dec 21, 2018
Sydney
First, I wasn’t expecting any replies, which shows me that there is a community here of individuals who care about others, and not just promoting themselves. So that was pleasantly surprising.

Second, there were plenty of quality responses that made me evaluate and ponder some things. I always thought helping others was a necessary component of any quality individuals life. Basically, as entrepreneurs, the focus is solving a problem for someone else, making their lives easier, (or harder if you’re a personal trainer), or giving them material possessions, entertaining them, feeding them, clothing them or whatever. Yes, the law of effection might mean great financial reward, but i would prefer if it also meant building a legacy, in a sense that cathedral builders generally never saw their finished structure, yet dedicated their lives to its completion. Imagine how much further our world could go if everyone had such a mindset? Wishful thinking, but even revolutions began with a single thought.

Third, I’m going to read through the recommended threads and slowly but surely, put all the insights, knowledge and experiences found here into action and progress with my projects, some of which involve art and some business.

Fourth, a big thank you to MJ for finishing his books, and not watering down his message - unlike the million shills going about these days. I’m grateful for turning that first page.

bhanuginni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 28, 2018
Melbourne
Hi AGP,
Welcome to the Forum. Age is just a number my friend. Amount of energy and enthusiasm you have to reach your goals is enough to surpass any challenge and get over you past mistakes. I am also close to forty, but i still believe there is a lot to expereince and do. Glad you joined this forum. Change starts with change in thoughts, which you already did and way ahead when compared to rest of the world. All the best for your journey ahead.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Welcome to the forum, @AGP -

I don’t own property, investments and I don’t have a career. I work long hours during the day as a forkie and I work at night stacking shelves at a supermarket.

Your realizations are similar to many people's, but you have time to change your trajectory, as @PizzaOnTheRoof 's quote says. I am older than you, but, as MJ has pointed out in his books, the market just wants you to add value. It doesn't care what you look like or how old you are.

Welcome to the forum!

Read the gold and notable threads, and finish the books. 40 is still young and you’ve actually got an advantage over us 20 something’s.....life experience.

Also, read the quote in my signature...just keep on keepin on.
@PizzaOnTheRoof , great quote and suggestions.

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
1b0xhnl.jpg

upload_2019-1-9_8-19-11.jpeg
images

In all seriousness:
tonyrobbins1-2x.jpg

So, you do have a choice. You need to decide right now for that change. You need to decide right now on what actions to take and to go after the life that you want. It needs to be a serious commitment.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Glad you've joined us. I have a feeling you'll do well. You're already a hard worker, and it sounds like you have a deep seated (seeded?) reason to want it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Let the anger flow through you.

yes!

1b0xhnl.jpg

Fourth, a big thank you to MJ for finishing his books, and not watering down his message - unlike the million shills going about these days. I’m grateful for turning that first page.

You're welcome! Glad to have you here. 40 is plenty young!!

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Yep, you're exactly where I was at when I was almost 40. I'm 43 now, and my wife and I have built a business that nets us almost $200k a year now after all the bills and expenses are paid. We have 5 employees. All this was done within the last two years. We could double this up if we decide to.

You are plenty young....as MJ just said.

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
Greetings!

The forum landing page suggested I introduce myself if I want to get the most out of the forum. Seeing I’m not very comfortable sharing myself, here goes.

I decided to join the fastlane forum as I was half way through reading UNSCRIPTED , and I want to change my life.

I’m almost 40 now and I don’t have anything to show for it. I have an incredible girlfriend who’s been with me through thick and thin, but not much else. I don’t own property, investments and I don’t have a career. I work long hours during the day as a forkie and I work at night stacking shelves at a supermarket.
I don’t have time to pursue my passion, which is music and digital art. This isn’t the circumstance I would want to start a family in, let’s put it that way.

So as I’m reading MJ’s books I get angry. I realise I’ve wasted many years on fruitless endeavours and frivolous entertainment/procrastination. And work. I’m angry because I am an individual who does not respond well to authority, and yet here I am more servile than ever. I work my a$$ off and pay taxes and for what? So I can keep working? Barely getting ahead just to be pulled back because modern society and banks need me financially indebted? Keep breaking my back so I can make my employers life easier? Nope, no way. I’m done. I want a future. I want choice. I want to decide what I do with my time. I want to live a fulfilling life that contributes something to the world, and I’m gonna do it whilst I still have the energy and the will.

So I’m hoping I can learn a thing or two from individuals who are walking their own path, and who are successful, or motivated enough to effect positive change in this world. I’m also basically calling myself out, in a way.

That’s where I’m at right now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Welcome to The Forum. There are some exceptional people on here who will listen, advise and help as much as possible but in the end it all comes down to you.

It sounds you could be in a better place than you first imagined. You have a girlfriend who has stood by you. No property but you have income. This gives you flexibility.

Hopefully, you have no debt and if this is the case you have a good solid base to start from.

Sounds like you need to free time up so you can have time to "find/build/design your thing". Working all those hours creates a grind. Is there a way you can work less and still pay life's essentials?

Good Luck and as I said there are people hear who will help.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Welcome! And congratulations... sounds like you had your FTM/FTE LIVE as you typed. First step toward going off-script!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...