The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advertising Rate??? For Large Client

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Hey everyone,

I run a website on the side with a friend from work, It's Video Game Art

Recently a large client has contacted us wanting to display ad's on our site.

Not sure what I should quote them. They would be the first to do so. All our other ads are AdSense.

We get on average 2000-3000 hits a day.

Anybody have an idea of what we should quote them? OR what a good range is?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tamo42

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jan 9, 2013
One option would be to look at what kinds of keywords they are targeting by using Majestic, Ahrefs, SEMrush, or similar. Once you know their keywords, you can look at what their CPC might be in Google. After knowing that number, you can calculate a CPM number based on what you think a good CTR would be (maybe 5%) all the while giving them a little break compared to AdWords.

Here's a made up example:

Advertiser is targeting "best video game"
AdWords CPC is $1.87
5% CTR on 2500 views would be 125 clicks a day
125 clicks at $1.87 is $233.75 per day, this is what they would be paying at the G. Base your number appropriately.

5% might be too high or too low depending on your site's traffic. One of the reasons I like CPC is that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of this.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Great! Thanks Tamo ;)

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Install DFP and learn how to use it - its free, and will allow you to set up campaigns for advertisers such as this, sell by impressions, clicks, geo, and backfill with adsense. Its also way better than openx as an adserver.

Sell them your inventory based on a CPM [cost per 1000 impressions], or a monthly flat rate per ad unit. Don't sell on a cpc, otherwise when their creative sucks and gets an average 0.1% CTR [a pretty average result on display] you're going to lose out.

You don't say how many ad impressions you have available per day/month, but by the sounds of it the number is going to be pretty small. While not in the gaming industry, I work on the 'buy' side for a large brand and from what I see anything related to our product tries to sell at somewhere in the $4-$10/cpm range.

Work out how many ad impressions you have [page impressions*number of ad units on a page] and then work out whether cpm or flat rate is more beneficial to you. If its CPM you're going to need to install an adserver like DFP as you're going to need to bill based on accurate numbers.

Personally, given your low volume and likely lack of adserver/IO etc, I'd go with flat rate p/month, it'll be much easier for all concerned.

For more info on pricing, have a look at something like Gaming | BuySellAds - they offer monthly flat or CPM's and it'll give you a good feel of what to ask money-wise so you're not losing out or going way over the top.

HTH

PS - I think my link above is getting stripped, its w w w buy sell ads com / gaming - strip the spaces and you got it. Just google DFP its owned by them and you have access as you have an adsense account.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.