The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Add your gym rants here

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Same with the ones taking off half of their body weight by supporting themselves on the stairmaster handles. Might as well just walk on the treadmill. :D
Or just stay at home.
Better if they did that, more space in the gym.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
(This isn't a rant...)

I had my first gym session of the year at 9am. Only 4 other people were there.

I've no idea how busy it was at 6am or 7am before people have to head to work, or how busy it will be this evening when they're back from work. I'm guessing mobbed.

I might not be Fastlane yet, but being my own boss has definite benefits.

Nice... :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted37035

Not disagreeing with anyone here, but just wondering if anyone has said anything to these people or show them how to properly use equipment ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Well, we are 3 days into January and the gym has been rammed, to the point that I can no longer use the equipment I need.

I'm all for people creating change and would support anyone in that venture but it really does annoy me that the people who are clogging up the equipment, wont be there in 2 months time.
You can normally tell the ones that wont last because they are either facebooking/texting between sets, staring at women and/or watching TV whilst doing cardio.
I guess only time will make this situation better.
Right now I'm reading your posts between my sets [emoji4]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G800F met Tapatalk

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
-- Getting mean mugs left and right because you are on the juice and feel invincible. So many try hard tough guys at my gym.
-- The one guy who hogs all of the dumbbells to drop set for 45 minutes.
-- When you catch someone stealing your leather jacket from your locker and then acting dumbfounded bc he thought it was his. yea ok
-- The guy who grabs the weights from the rack, yet doesn't leave the rack, now hes directly in front of you mid set
-- When people prioritize socializing over working out and pushing yourself, and get in your way
-- The naked guy who lies down in the sauna
-- When you have a tough guy who wants your bench but you just got on it and he refuses to work in so bitchfit ensues.

-- The guy who makes it well known to everyone in the gym hes about to dumbbell press 100s and proceeds to make a scene by shouting with every rep, then drops the weight like hot potatoes and stands up to see how many eyeballs have caught the amazing performance

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
So I have been hitting the gym hard lately and have a few rants about noobs, twats and other amusing gym folk, so thought it'd be a fun off-topic to add your gym rant below.

Ill start with mine.

- People farting in the sauna.
This morning, some guy was stretching his leg above him whilst lying down. With each stretch, he let one rip.
I asked in the politest manner "Can you please F*cking stop that", which resulted in an apology.

Anyone else got any pet peeves?

Dude, I had to laugh real hard while reading this in the gym. People probably put me in their own "gym rant"-list now.

Anyhow:

- Guys wearing a belt all the time. Even while curling. "Weak lower back", sure.
- Guys using straps for ALL their exercises (yes, that includes curls).
- Guys doing the weirdest "full body workouts" (no legs) once a week.
- Guys curling 6 days a week.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I prefer to have the great outdoors as my gym! My only rant would be about those damned bikers taking up the road space. :)

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Mental note: get into the fastlane so you can have your own gym at home
Mental Note: Don't do what this guy said, that is boring

It is nice when kids your age (i am 18) show up in a group, thinking they are strong with their 185 bench max (no mean to insult) and then gawk at me when I am doing 315 for reps

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
-- Getting mean mugs left and right because you are on the juice and feel invincible. So many try hard tough guys at my gym.
-- The one guy who hogs all of the dumbbells to drop set for 45 minutes.
-- When you catch someone stealing your leather jacket from your locker and then acting dumbfounded bc he thought it was his. yea ok
-- The guy who grabs the weights from the rack, yet doesn't leave the rack, now hes directly in front of you mid set
-- When people prioritize socializing over working out and pushing yourself, and get in your way
-- The naked guy who lies down in the sauna
-- When you have a tough guy who wants your bench but you just got on it and he refuses to work in so bitchfit ensues.

-- The guy who makes it well known to everyone in the gym hes about to dumbbell press 100s and proceeds to make a scene by shouting with every rep, then drops the weight like hot potatoes and stands up to see how many eyeballs have caught the amazing performance
No offense, but what if you are the problem and not them? You make it sound like all the guys there are out to get you

At my gym I am on good terms with every guy there

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
Let it goes bros and broettes.

I used to get all worked up over all this shit, but realized it just stressed me out. Most everyone there is trying to do something positive whether they don't know how to use the equipment or will disappear in a couple weeks because they gave up.

The only thing that bothers me now is inconsiderate people. Put your weights and equipment away, don't hog multiple stations when the gym is busy, don't bother people during a set, wipe down the bench/equipment after use, keep your ego in check and don't be an a**hole.

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
No offense, but what if you are the problem and not them? You make it sound like all the guys there are out to get you

At my gym I am on good terms with every guy there

Im on good terms myself...Maybe you belong to a commercial gym. In my gym, there is a lot of guys who in my understanding are on the juice, and therefore take their anger out on weights and u if you get in their way. In my experience, the more steroid users you have in the gym the more hostile environment it will be

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Most everyone there is trying to do something positive

Agreed.

To be honest, the gym (and here) is probably one place where I feel free from the culture of mediocrity. EVERYONE there is pursuing a goal, no matter how fit, how fat, how buff, how ugly, how cute-- I look at everyone with respect and optimism. This is one reason why Planet Fitness (and it's business model) is more about personal insecurity, "fit-shaming", and reverse discrimination, rather than an actual problem of people looking down on one another. I've been going to big gyms for 30 years-- not once, I repeat, NOT ONCE, have I ever seen disrespect, or laughing toward others. I'm sure it happens (probably due to incorrect equipment use as seen on YouTube and in more hardcore gyms where the sauce is in play), but for the most part, people keep to themselves.

G

Guest34764

No platform for deadlifts.

People giving me beginners advice because I'm young.

Why can't I take my shirt off at a gym?

Staff members who don't actually lift.

Seeing skeletons doing bodyweight exercises.

Or skeletons giving me fistbumps because they see my lifting (it's a little awkward).

I stopped going to a gym and just lift at my schools weight room which is pretty good.

The only complaint there is that I'm constantly bombarded with questions "why don't you join the team?"

Yes I'm bragging, but if you look like a beast, own it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Agreed.

To be honest, the gym (and here) is probably one place where I feel free from the culture of mediocrity. EVERYONE there is pursuing a goal, no matter how fit, how fat, how buff, how ugly, how cute-- I look at everyone with respect and optimism. This is one reason why Planet Fitness (and it's business model) is more about personal insecurity, "fit-shaming", and reverse discrimination, rather than an actual problem of people looking down on one another. I've been going to big gyms for 30 years-- not once, I repeat, NOT ONCE, have I ever seen disrespect, or laughing toward others. I'm sure it happens (probably due to incorrect equipment use as seen on YouTube and in more hardcore gyms where the sauce is in play), but for the most part, people keep to themselves.
Yeah, that's my experience with nearly 30 years gyming it.

Most newbies are by and large a bit self conscious, and the regulars try their hardest to not make them feel worse.

One of my mottos is "Help the people in motion." Anyone who's left the comfort of the sofa and ventured into the gym gets my vote.

It's only rudeness that would rile me up, and I've never seen that in Ireland.

Ben S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 2, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Step 1: Grab two pieces of equipment for a superset.
Step 2: Leave gallon jug on seat the equipment not in use for the brief set on the other piece of equipment.
Step 3: Finish my set on first piece of equipment and proceed to next.
Step 4: Watch someone REMOVE my gallon jug from the other piece of equipment and start using it.

Rage.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
My gym only has 1 squat rack that also doubles as a bench rack

.... and they have a friggin smith machine. Worthless piece of junk.

Nobody should ever use a smith machine. It confines the movement into a plane, which is completely and wholly unnatural for the human body. Using a handful of times isn't likely to be a problem, but as a staple of your training it will set you up for failure long term. Your stabilizing muscles won't develop, nor will the proper neuro patterns.

Smith machines = 1 way ticket to snap city

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
People that stand behind me when I'm getting dressed in the locker room expecting me to move without them saying anything like excuse me, can i get in there etc. They just stand there.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
The closest gym has lazy maintenance guy. Municipal owns it, so there is no owner who would care that much. If something breaks, it will take months until it gets repaired or does not get fixed at all. Also it is closed at summers. Everything so far what has been improved was mostly done by gym goers and regulars. Some guys brought their own gym things for people to use and etc. I have left some stuff there as well. It is finally getting renovated in summer though and might be taken over by more capable guy.

But on regular note, people not putting stuff back where they took them, weights etc. Neither I don't like teen squads taking over some machines and doing nothing than talking there.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
"Creatine are steroids"

"Protein shakes are cheating"

I'm not even kidding lmao

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
There is a guy at my gym that looks like an 80's cyberpunk bad guy. Bleach blonde hair, steel ball necklace, fake gold watch, boots, black pants, white tank and sunglasses.

Who is also a severe screamer/grunter on the cable machines.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.