The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Thanks @LightHouse, completed over 1000 tasks since I started this system, and not coincidentally, ever had more success.

kaLgZ24.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Trello just announced their sale. A Fastlaner just hit it big!

Hope this doesn't mean a price/format change for ya'll who love the service.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

Yeah i saw it too.. its all over the entrepreneur news..

Hope they dont ruin anything or set a stupid pricing bracket thing like they did Evernote... I was a huge Evernote user and ever since they reduced capacity and # of systems you're allowed to use it on. i've moved onto trello and onenote.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hope they dont ruin anything or set a stupid pricing bracket t

More than likely they will ... investors expect a ROI on their investment. Keeping the same pricing and not monetizing users isn't usually apart of that gameplan.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
More than likely they will ... investors expect a ROI on their investment. Keeping the same pricing and not monetizing users isn't usually apart of that gameplan.

Yeah I hope it happens later than sooner... Prob will have to figureout a new system

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
$425 Million, $360 million of that in cash.

"The duo launched Trello in 2011 as part of their first company, Fog Creek Software. They later spun it off and went on to raise $10.3 million in a Series A in 2014 from Index, Spark Capital and BoxGroup. Pryor remained on board at Trello as CEO while Spolsky headed up Stack Exchange — another a Fog Creek spin-off."

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Just received this email from Trello.

"We’re excited to announce that Trello is being acquired by Atlassian.

We launched Trello five years ago to make it easy and fun to collaborate in a unique way. Since then, more than 19 million people have used Trello to solve many different challenges both personal and professional.

Atlassian has a great track record making excellent collaboration tools like JIRA, Confluence, HipChat and BitBucket. Both the Trellists and the Atlassians share a passion for helping teams work better together.

What does this mean for you? To start: exciting new integrations, an increased featureset, and a continued focus on making the product better and more useful than ever. Our mission will be to make Trello more powerful and even more delightful than it is today.

We will continue to operate as a standalone service, so you don’t have to change a thing about the way you are currently using Trello.

For more information, check out our blog post about the news. And stay tuned over the coming months (and years!) for more exciting news.

Thank you,

Michael Pryor
CEO of Trello"

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Just received this email from Trello.

We launched Trello five years ago to make it easy and fun to collaborate in a unique way. Since then, more than 19 million people have used Trello to solve many different challenges both personal and professional.

Atlassian has a great track record making excellent collaboration tools like JIRA, Confluence, HipChat and BitBucket. Both the Trellists and the Atlassians share a passion for helping teams work better together.

What does this mean for you? To start: exciting new integrations, an increased featureset, and a continued focus on making the product better and more useful than ever. Our mission will be to make Trello more powerful and even more delightful than it is today.

We will continue to operate as a standalone service, so you don’t have to change a thing about the way you are currently using Trello.

For more information, check out our blog post about the news. And stay tuned over the coming months (and years!) for more exciting news.

Thank you,

Michael Pryor
CEO of Trello"

They said the same exact thing with Evernote.. took them a few years but they did change it eventually

samsara

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Mar 6, 2013
Mexico
Just received this email

We’re excited to announce that Trello is being acquired by Atlassian.

Thank you,

Michael Pryor
CEO of Trello

>>RD<<

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 20, 2016
Nigeria
Oh and I meant to add this to the first post. Click the following link and you can open the menu on the right and copy this demo board to your account ( using the menu on the left) so all you have to do is add your info!

Trello
Awesome! Thanks a million.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

Thank you,

Michael Pryor
CEO of Trello"

Stopped using trello a while ago. This just makes me want to be the guy that sends that email in a few years. :cool:

Dan1el

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Mar 26, 2016
Ive been using this for the past couple of weeks, and I really see a difference in productivity and workflow as it helps you keep focus on your next task.
Thanks for sharing this!

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but is there a way to have Trello sync so I can use it offline?

It's been incredibly helpful to get all of my tasks out of my head and have Trello "remember" them for me, but I find myself completely lost now when I can't get online.

MK35

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 22, 2016
A good move by Trello. With Atlassian's track record they can achieve 100M with ease. Of course, we shall see what Trello has in store for the future.

I've been using Trello for a while. I like how simple yet effective it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
Hey Scott, One board is the key here. I have other boards, but like mentioned above, my GSD board will reference those boards or tasks so i have one large visual of everything. This creates duplication but useful duplication for efficiency sake.

I use Evernote for information storage, i just got rid of basecamp but it's because I moved away from that particular business. I can't think of what other things I use that would be useful, for me it's setting up everything i interact with day to day to make myself more efficient. (e.g. Using Momentum for chrome so i don't see recently visited websites every new tab open, removes distraction. Links to social sites and this forum are in a bookmark bar folder called "Time sucks" so i am atleast aware i am not working and going to be spending time doing other things.

Look at your day to day and activly eliminate waste and distraction, overtime you will get 10x more done than you thought was capable.

Damn I didn't know you posted on the forum Cody! Let me know how it's going after a week or two, and add a card to respond to my last email from 11teen weeks ago ;)

I've been using trello for a while now, we started using it for our app company and then to pick up some more cash flow, i started marketing communication and collaboration optimisation strategies to small businesses in construction and got some great clients which lead into doing some more work for them (if anyone is looking for a local way to make some cash, go consult on this, still working for me)

What i was secretl hoping to hear that it's okay to have a GSD board for all your businesses/projects. I have a board where i have al lmy goals and things that will help them. Another board for my consultation work, another team with about 10 board for our app company, board are broken down into segments like marketing/accounting/funding/outsourcing/ etc etc and i have noticed i don't even go into some board for a very long time.

Sounds like having just 1 board is the optimal way to go and i can almost certinly say it'll work for me i'm just slightly dreading having to merge all these boards! but now that i made a GSD template, i can start out with just the one things which will be the merge and clean up all that mess!

I've combined trello with slack and it's next level. We have bots in our slack channels that ask for weekly reports and are very cleaver in making reports on what was done, what is blocked, and what's planned. we then feed this into the trello board.

If you are already using slack, check out by googling snippetsbot for slack. Once the report is made in slack, it automatically get's sent over to trello.

JourneyToAbundance

Free time is my most valuable asset
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Mar 11, 2012
Salt Lake City
Thank you @LightHouse and others. This is extremely helpful and I'm using some of the suggestions. But, I have two tweaks that I made to my system that has helped me out a ton.

1. @MJ DeMarco said apply mathematics to the goal when we are moving towards the process side (Chapter 18 in Unscripted ).
    1. We have 168 hours in a week. If you work and travel for 50 hours in a week and sleep for 56 ours, you still have 62 hours of time to do what you want.
    2. Whenever I catch myself saying "I don't have time for something" that usually means "it's not a priority and it's not in my schedule".
    3. I use Saturday mornings when I'm most relaxed to schedule things that I need to work on in my calendar
    4. Then, I apply the Pomodoro Technique to my most important tasks to prevent procrastination. I learned that when we do certain tasks, our pain centers in our brain become activated and can last for up to twenty minutes.
  2. I took Scott Adam's advice and I plan my schedule around my different energy states, not around availability. I've noticed that I'm accomplishing much more in less time if my energy is right for the task
    1. Creative energy ( best between 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM )
    2. Social energy ( best between 6:00 to 9:00 PM )
    3. Communication energy ( phone calls, emails, texts ) ( best between 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM)
    4. Learning energy ( any time before 5:00 PM )
    5. Physical energy ( exercise ) Best at early morning or after 6:00 PM
    6. Sexual energy ( Agree with Scott Adams that sooner is better; early morning )

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've been using it... well since I posted here about it. So like 14 months maybe?

I really like it still. Maybe I'll make some changes to it to fit my business and life specifically (like having separate inboxes for this week/today and stuff that's just looming). The 'waiting' box is really helpful, what I started doing was slapping expected dates. What I will start doing is putting a note saying what I'm waiting on + why it's in waiting. Some things don't have to be in waiting just because you don't feel like doing a prerequisite to doing the task.

But the way it's written really is good. It's helped keep me focused (well, as focused as I have been).

I also might set it up to include time slots.

Sad thing is that I almost forgot where my Trello setup came from... sorry @LightHouse lol

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I've been using the GSD/Kanban approach for about 9 months now and it's rocket fuel! Productivity is sky high now.

Pro tip: if you're using Trello - switch to Asana immediately. It works 10 x better with Slack.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I've been using the GSD/Kanban approach for about 9 months now and it's rocket fuel! Productivity is sky high now.

Pro tip: if you're using Trello - switch to Asana immediately. It works 10 x better with Slack.
Interesting point.

So I've found that I still use @LightHouse's system for day to day work, but that Trello just sucks for keeping track of complex projects. I have two different things going: one my cosmetics company (with multiple product stream development, tasks with dependencies, etc) as well as possibly starting a small RE development/something.

What I've found is that, in trying to manage both of those entities (more so the cosmetics company), little details get lost with Trello. As in, lost in the stack of cards. I've been looking at various PM software solutions (read about many, tried one I've forgotten, now trying out Atlassian) but they're all so complex and unwieldy.

My needs are: easy integration with Slack. Native or connectivity with a Kanban-like system such as Trello, and an easy way to organize a project, with sub tasks, dependencies, ability to easily assign a team member, and finally, being able to look at a glance at what kind of progress is ongoing.

You or anyone have a good suggestion?

PS: the ASANA homepage doesn't really show me very much, unlike Atlassian.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Interesting point.

So I've found that I still use @LightHouse's system for day to day work, but that Trello just sucks for keeping track of complex projects. I have two different things going: one my cosmetics company (with multiple product stream development, tasks with dependencies, etc) as well as possibly starting a small RE development/something.

What I've found is that, in trying to manage both of those entities (more so the cosmetics company), little details get lost with Trello. As in, lost in the stack of cards. I've been looking at various PM software solutions (read about many, tried one I've forgotten, now trying out Atlassian) but they're all so complex and unwieldy.

My needs are: easy integration with Slack. Native or connectivity with a Kanban-like system such as Trello, and an easy way to organize a project, with sub tasks, dependencies, ability to easily assign a team member, and finally, being able to look at a glance at what kind of progress is ongoing.

You or anyone have a good suggestion?

PS: the ASANA homepage doesn't really show me very much, unlike Atlassian.

Asana is what you want. Go look at the free training videos on YT. It kicks Trello's a$$.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Asana is what you want. Go look at the free training videos on YT. It kicks Trello's a$$.
Hey man! Asana was the answer I've been looking for. Thanks a ton!

Rep ++

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I have found that using Perry Marshall's labelling system of $10 p/h, $100 p/h, $1000 p/h , and $10,000 p/h, tasks, has really helped my productivity no end.

Before I found that all I was doing, was labelling pretty much everything as red for priority, now I can see how many $10 tasks, but are still important I have stacking up. For instance today, I have one of those, 2 $1000 tasks, and one $10,000.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
I have found that using Perry Marshall's labelling system of $10 p/h, $100 p/h, $1000 p/h , and $10,000 p/h, tasks, has really helped my productivity no end.

Before I found that all I was doing, was labelling pretty much everything as red for priority, now I can see how many $10 tasks, but are still important I have stacking up. For instance today, I have one of those, 2 $1000 tasks, and one $10,000.

Hi Roli,

where did you find his system? The only thing I can find is his system/course explaning what you have written, for 299$ or more, depending on your development stage.

Thank you for your help!

#n

ProblemSolving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 4, 2017
?
I'm using the same system, but mine is kinda messy.

A few things to improve:
- Add the "task number", so it's like 1, 2, 3. Now I see I have done over 1000 tasks, and I thought to myself, "Holy shit I have done so much."
- Have a separate view for "today", so I'm not overwhelmed by zillions of tasks in my inbox.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've tried everything; Wunderlist, Trello, and a few others. Find myself still going back to my trusty paper and pen.

Still have not been able to get an identical brain/body connection between writing and digital.

(BTW, INSIDERS get the PDF of this free if they want to print it or send it off for printing.)
FastlaneToDoListFinal-Small.jpg

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Do you constantly struggle to stay on task throughout the day?

Are you overwhelmed by the amount of things you need to do with your business or the launch process?

Have you tried "productivity" systems but fail to keep up with them or use them over time?

*Note: I am not selling you shit, so don't hit the back button yet; you WILL regret it.*

PREFACE:
Background: You are a producer. You are working on creating something amazing through a business you have or are building. The problem with your typical list based systems is you can not map the copious amounts of things that need to get done. Most current systems are not structured to pick things from different areas of business to prioritize because they are made for specialists, or folks that focus on one area of things so their task list is related.

*Note: I implemented this system shortly after FLSummit 2016 and it has done wonders for my productivity. I shared it with a few other Legendary Fastlaners who adopted the system and have seen similar results. Thus I am sharing it publicly to help create even more legendary fastlaners.

The SOLUTION: The Get Shit Done (GSD) System** Using Trello.com

fjUFOys.png

The list titles are as follows -

Goals / Projects / Top | Inbox | Today (MAX 3) | Wait / In-Progress (TEMP) | Finished [Archive] | Someday/Maybe

Single Point System:

xiGEvpu.png

Your GSD "Inbox" List will become the center of your productivity. I want you to enter everything into your inbox. This is a single stream coming into your mental ecosystem. If something takes more than 10 seconds to do, or comes in during your focus time, it goes to the inbox. PERIOD. You are working on removing distraction, so let GSD be your gatekeeper. (this works great paired with a well-trained VA as well.) You can also get apps that give you a quick add on Chrome, Desktops, and You can even integrate it into Google now (Link here). Additiaonl resources can be found here

You will work things out from here. If it is something for another project management board on trello (hit "B" to switch between trello boards) then you will do that during an organization period. You can set up a direct email to your trello inbox as well to forward emails that have tasks or things to do, right into your inbox as well (info here)

You can label them with colors if you want. I personally grade mine from hot to cold for priority. Red is HOT, orange, yellow, Blue is COLD. Fairly simple.

l0KyJTX.png

You can also expand the cards if the task needs a bit more info. Don't load this with data you want to reference, more so just notes. Like an email that needs to be sent to several people, make a list of the people inside the card, You can postfox the card title with "(details)" like i do to remind you there is addt'l data.

Visualize Your Projects and Goals:

ytsf6Mt.png

This is straight forward. Have your goals outlines and actionable. You will not interact with this much, this serves as a constant reminder of the direction your are working towords. Make sure you use the same card pre-fixes to keep everything easy. You can add additional sections for other things like Habits, or events as well if you need.

What you are doing TODAY - The idea of Kanban + The One Thing:

bHhoPYT.png

This section is taken from the kanban system. The idea is that you are limiting what you are working on to three things. PERIOD. You can not add anything until something moves from the list. This keeps your mind focused on what is important. Rather than spreading brain power across 10 things, you have an option of 1 of 3.

The Trick: Whatever cards are above the line (has to be at least 1 every day) are things that move you towards your bigger goal. This idea is taken from "The One Thing". It insures that no matter what you are doing day to day, you are working at least on one thing moving you towards your large goal.

Things Waiting - Don't Stop Your Flow:

rRtgnUv.png

This is simple, you do not want to waste time waiting on people or things. If something isnt coming back around for a period of time. Re-label it with the reason/action and move it to waiting to not hold yourself up. Typically things you do not know if the turn around time is going to be less than 24 hours or not (emails, account approvals, etc)

Satisfaction of Completion:

bJdjijf.png

This is where you want to be. You will find an easy addiction to moving cards right and this col being 10x your inbox. It is an easy constant visual reminder that you are actually "Getting Shit Done" and moving towards your goals every day.

FINAL NOTES: This is how the system works for me, this will work for you two but make sure you adapt it to anything specific to you as needed.

I promise you if you spend a day putting everything you have to do into this system, and remove it all from your mind. by day two and three you will not look back. This system will work like your task memory in your brain. So add everything and look at it often. I made it an app shortcut on my taskbar to lauch and keep in an app window all the time.

Proof is in the Fastlaner: I'll invite a few friends here to share their experience and any additional notes. @AllenCrawley @JasonR @Eskil @Iwokeup

(** This is a modified version of what i started with from Victor Savkin, link here)

Just wanted to thank you for this post, badass! Implemented it and can already see a difference. Thanks again!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.