The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accepting the Status Quo No More - My Path to Fastlane by starting off as a Web Designer to Quit My Day Job

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Hey Fastlaners,

First off: I am going to quit my job in 60 days. Sorry, 58 now. My two-week notice is already typed and ready to be sent on the 46th day. I have put myself in an uncomfortable situation to make sure

This is going to be the keep-my-self-accountable thread where I plan to quit my crap full-time day job trading 9 hours of my life for a $2000 monthly check that goes straight to bills and rent.

I am going to keep this short, sweet, and very concise.
Little about me:
1. Right now I work at a retail job full-time as an assistant manager. I make 17 an hour and let me tell you, I am not happy about that at all.
2. I am not unfamiliar with web design (I majored in Graphic Design in College which was a huge waste but luckily was on a scholarship so 0 debt.)
3. I am not unfamiliar with HTML/CSS as I ran a web design business ONCE for ONE client. Burned me out. Hated it.
4. I understand that Web Design (at least service-based) is not a Fastlane business but I am hoping that it will free up time for me to create my own Fastlane business.

Now to the meat of the first progress post:

I finished Millionaire Fastlane about sometime in the last 2 weeks and it was an eye-opening book. I was a Slowlaner. I put my money into stocks, had a 401k from that same crappy retail job, and due to my personality of just wanting and knowing I was meant for more, I fell into a tad mental depression about what I am doing in life.

So after reading every gold thread I came across Foxy's Web School Thread and it sounds very interesting. I checked out his free videos (and they are immensely helpful so if you have not checked it out) and came to the conclusion starting my own Web Design business will be the first step I take into leaving mediocrity. Immediately I knew that if I did not commit right away I would over analyze, over rationalize, and never take the step.

So this is where I begin my journey.
I purchased a domain under my full name. I purchased hosting. I already began working on my site and pretty much finished besides needing to have 3 portfolio pieces. My mom and dad both run businesses, so I figured they will be my first 2 portfolio pieces. I told my co-worker the plan, and he got me another client to do Pro-Bono work. As I type this, I am actually on Code Academy AND working on my mom's website for her business. I am making sure that I am always moving forward and not staying complacent.

So as of today September 16th I have learned HTML/CSS, I am learning to Copywrite, I have finished my own personal site, and I am working on 3 pro-bono client jobs and plan to finish them within the next week or two.

I hope that my journey will help those reading take the step necessary, leaving mediocrity behind for a life full of wealth (whatever that may mean for you)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Now I won't post every day but today is a very special occasion.

Today... for the first time since I was 18 (Seriously took me a decade)
I Paid Off All My Debt!
I am 100% Debt Free!

No Credit Card Payments.
No Payment Past Payments Owed to the IRS.

Fellow Fastlaners the feeling of liberation from owing the system money every month due to over-consumption is absolutely intoxicating.

But, I will not let this new freedom slow me down. Tomorrow, I still will be putting the pedal to the metal and continue my Freelance Web Design portfolio work. I have a call with one of Foxy's Web School people. I am going to keep the momentum up.

Paying off my debt was not an event. It was part of the process of financial freedom and control.

Jasper S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2020
Chicagoland Area
It seems like you have an excellent mindset and congrats on getting rid of debt!

As someone who has been kind of a little here and a bit there on learning web development until recently (finally launched my first website earlier this year) I look forward to following this thread.

Keep the pedal to the metal!

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
I know I have not updated in a LONG time. I will post an update tonight!

I completely forgot I made a thread and planned on making a new one since ALOT of changes were made, but I think I will just update the title and update this thread periodically!

T-Minus 12 hours until the update

Scotttt747

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 10, 2020
I know I have not updated in a LONG time. I will post an update tonight!

I completely forgot I made a thread and planned on making a new one since ALOT of changes were made, but I think I will just update the title and update this thread periodically!

T-Minus 12 hours until the update
Looking forward to it man!

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Alright, so this thread may have to move as well because a few things switched. So here is an update:

I went through Fox's Web School and I learned much about sales. More importantly, I became apart of a community dedicated to pushing each other forward. This was a huge step and I made some awesome friends that keep me going. (Especially in the desert of desertion)

Through this community, I learned a lot of new skills I never considered before. I learned these skills by using the sales skills I acquired to get clients and learned through real-world experience. The skills I learned include a sales-focused approach to web design, digital marketing in the form of SEO and social media, copywriting which I learned from Lex DeVille's 15 Days to Freedom post and even ended up doing quite a few freelance projects for, and now Google Ads from the great @Andy Black.

Because I learned all these skills through real-world contracts and experience, I also improved my own selling ability due to having to hop on calls with each of the clients (except the Freelance contacts but it still was text-based selling).

I read ICK's Astonishing Secrets thread and learned about shifting perspective. It was the most challenging thing I've ever had to do as Previously, I shaped my whole life on manipulation and getting what I want. Shifting my perspective was one of the most effective ways that allowed me to leap forward. It helped me to understand HOW to perform all those skills in the best way possible for the clients that needed them.

My focus is now Google Ad Campaign management. I am a big believer in what Andy Black would call gathering "low hanging fruit". This means getting in front of those who are actually searching for what I offer.

But the most important lesson I've learned in the last few months: Action. I've definitely become way less focused on the details/metrics that don't relate to either leads, calls, or sales. All other metrics and optimizations don't mean anything if there are no customers/clients.

I am going to try to update this whenever a big event happens. That way I can write the process that led up to it and members of the community can get some knowledge on what I did to reach that point.

PS: I also peeked @MJ DeMarco profile almost daily on my off time and read through the posts he makes to understand even more the mindset. But again when I read/learned I also incorporated it right away into actions.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well done. We can see you making some big mindset shifts, especially if you’ve taken on board advice from the Astonishing Secrets thread by @IceCreamKid. I presume you found some similarities with that chat I had with @Fid about inbound marketing?

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Well done. We can see you making some big mindset shifts, especially if you’ve taken on board advice from the Astonishing Secrets thread by @IceCreamKid. I presume you found some similarities with that chat I had with @Fid about inbound marketing?
Yes 100% I actually have noticed all the veterans here, in terms if mindset AND action taking, have alot of similarities! That's how I really know the mindset shift is one of the biggest hurdles to go over but also the most important one!

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Small but Impactful Update:

Recently I've been trying to help more people without expecting anything in return. And this mindset shift has definitely paid off.

November was a VERY dry month and I took some time to ponder why. And I realized it was because I was seeking clients for money and survival. This kind of led me down a path of finding efficient channels that could bring in these clients. I was wrong. All the veterans have it right. Help. Provide value.

So here is the real update:

Today I decided that I would browse LinkedIn and Facebook and see if there was anyone I can help. Didn't have to be Google Ads related. Just wanted to help.

Low and behold someone asked a question on LinkedIn about networking and I gave my advice. I didn't realize that the post I replied to was a post that was not in my network but connected to an old friend and her "Liked" posts.

This led to her seeing my post and messaging me asking how I was and then inquired about Google Ads. She did me a big favor a few years back which helped me stay afloat during my "club promoting" period. After a brief exchange, I told her I would love to help her and gave her some tips to help her campaign. Basic tips I learned from doing, not reading (This is key).

Well, this interaction ended up turning into a future consultation for the first week of January! This is HUGE! This makes 4 leads for the new year. Some might be paid work. Some might be free. Depending on their needs and if the time I need to invest requires payment or if a future referral may be of higher value.

This has me excited and pumped for the upcoming year. And we all know getting the ball does take time, but once it starts it has the potential to snowball. With a tough 2020 coming to a close, I am mentally prepared and excited for the new 2021. This simple interaction will lead to something greater.

Looking forward to the new year!

And since I won't do a new update either A. Until January or B. Something big happens from now until then, I want to say Happy Holidays to FLF and all its members.

PS: @MJ DeMarco any way I can change the title so instead of Web School it becomes Execution thread? Thanks!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Small but Impactful Update:

Recently I've been trying to help more people without expecting anything in return. And this mindset shift has definitely paid off.

November was a VERY dry month and I took some time to ponder why. And I realized it was because I was seeking clients for money and survival. This kind of led me down a path of finding efficient channels that could bring in these clients. I was wrong. All the veterans have it right. Help. Provide value.

So here is the real update:

Today I decided that I would browse LinkedIn and Facebook and see if there was anyone I can help. Didn't have to be Google Ads related. Just wanted to help.

Low and behold someone asked a question on LinkedIn about networking and I gave my advice. I didn't realize that the post I replied to was a post that was not in my network but connected to an old friend and her "Liked" posts.

This led to her seeing my post and messaging me asking how I was and then inquired about Google Ads. She did me a big favor a few years back which helped me stay afloat during my "club promoting" period. After a brief exchange, I told her I would love to help her and gave her some tips to help her campaign. Basic tips I learned from doing, not reading (This is key).

Well, this interaction ended up turning into a future consultation for the first week of January! This is HUGE! This makes 4 leads for the new year. Some might be paid work. Some might be free. Depending on their needs and if the time I need to invest requires payment or if a future referral may be of higher value.

This has me excited and pumped for the upcoming year. And we all know getting the ball does take time, but once it starts it has the potential to snowball. With a tough 2020 coming to a close, I am mentally prepared and excited for the new 2021. This simple interaction will lead to something greater.

Looking forward to the new year!

And since I won't do a new update either A. Until January or B. Something big happens from now until then, I want to say Happy Holidays to FLF and all its members.

PS: @MJ DeMarco any way I can change the title so instead of Web School it becomes Execution thread? Thanks!
Well done.

Thread moved and relabelled.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Great job! Web design is great to get the money rolling in. Have you heard of lead generation? You could turn your own websites in fastlane vehicles this way!

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
It's been a pretty interested first week of January!

1. After trying and achieving the results/data I was looking for. I decided to try a method where a few of my ads target the whole of the U.S. Another campaign with the same keywords + a few more will target my city with an appended keyword that usually indicates buying intent. Feel like I nailed down my Ads campaign in a big way as I'm already getting quite a few people searching for terms that include my keywords. One of these clicks led to a form fill. I contacted the lead but still no reply. Next week I'll give a call.

Lesson learned: Sometimes you just need to do it yourself and experiment with different methods to figure out what works best for you.

2. A friend of mine tagged me in a post where someone he knew needed help with FB Ads. I have no experience but I told the poster I would help. We spent a good 30 minutes on Zoom trying to remedy the situation. He heard me earlier say I prefer Google or FB when it comes to dealing with customer support and tech issues. He asked me about Google Ads. I told him about it. He was very interested. Wanted to know my price. Told him that we will have a call next week so I can determine whether his business could benefit from it. Looks like a promising prospect. Can't wait to let you guys know the result.

Lesson learned: Help others. Never know what might happen.

3. Been busy setting up systems for outbound outreach. I plan to set up inbound once I actually get outbound clients. So far emailing has worked best. Out of 20 personalized emails sent, I got 2 replies. Out of those 2 replies. Got 1 lead to email me back, visit my website, fill out my form, and he's interested to speak and asked for prices. He also stated his business is closed until COVID allows him to open again. But still is interested in a future meeting. Marked him in my HubSpot and set a notification for 2 weeks to contact him.

I've set up my LinkedIn account and joined groups in my city/state targeting specific business industries I can help best. I've been connecting with a few of the other members. Next week I plan to try a LinkedIn outreach method I saw on here with my own touch. I Will post the results in the next update.

Lesson learned: Everyone wants leads to come to them. And it's very possible. But starting off, outbound lead generation might produce results more efficiently while I set up my income lead generating systems.

All in all the information that really matters:
Leads Gained (3) -
Prospects gained (2) -
Calls Booked (1) -

Am I ready? Yes!

Shout out to my boys in my accountability group for keeping me always moving forward. @James HB darkzyde @Fiftytwos Mat Azamat & Jason.

Last edited:

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Something just clicked on my head. Making a new Ads campaign but this time I am going to use common buying intent keywords.
EXAMPLE -
  • Buy
  • Purchase
  • Order
  • Services
  • Local
  • Near me
  • 24 hour
  • Emergency
  • Company
  • Where to buy
  • Where to purchase
Just to name a few. I tested enough for impressions. I know the keywords I have will bring the volume. Next, I need to test for clicks.

I get Some clicks but I think I can get more if I focus on less information seeking keywords all my competitors use and hone in a little more.

Honestly, I should have started with this and expand from there. But learning lesson right?

For my potential client, I’ll be sure to do this first though. I’m sure he’ll appreciate me targeting buyers for his product/service without testing through the budget “burn and churn”.

Update: Just created 20 leads to email tonight (testing new outreach email template with a personalized message). Will post the results!

Last edited:

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
So as of today, things have been moving forward!

Still no sale, but I am getting closer and closer ---> --> ->

I sent a proposal to my last lead for Google Ads and after a few days, he finally got back to me. He hasn't quite accepted it but said he is looking over it with his partner and will keep me updated. So I'll follow up in a few days and hopefully I either
A. Have a proposal acceptance
B. Have an objection I can try to overcome (will give me insight on what I failed to solve during the sales call).

So one of the biggest challenges I have to overcome is "proving value and past results" which is hard when you don't have any past results to show. So I decided that I will get a few projects on UpWork, despite the infamous payment model, in order to get my feet into a few projects. Applied to 8 jobs today, getting interviewed for 2 tomorrow afternoon.

Lastly, joined a few FB groups over the last couple of weeks. One of them had a Zoom call tonight, and just by providing free tips and not being "spammy", 4 of the members want to book consultation calls with me. I think I am going to consult with them for free because this group seems to be made of genuinely good people. So that's exciting!

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Hey @Illusive_Man can you reach out on Fb and let's talk. Id like to see if we can get you some sales very soon.
Hey Rob,

Actually, we spoke before! And your program did help me get my first 6k SEO client!
But I pivoted to PPC/Lead Gen because I found a market that really could use some help. I'll definitely shoot you a message this week though if these 4 meetings fall through.

But it's mostly come down to my sales calls really. I get leads quite often, just my sales call skills aren't on par but I try to improve every call.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Big Update! Just got a contract. $40 an hour for LinkedIn Lead Gen.

The biggest thing I did to close the deal (since I have no previous UpWork testimonials) I let him know that I can do an hour or two of work (still paid) and then let me know based on leads gathered if he'd like to continue working together. As MJ would say, I provided value-skew by being different than the other lead generators.

My plan is to get him great results and in return be able to use him as a great reference since his software is being used by FB and Google.

Another update: Leader of an FB business group I am apart of wants to set up a call.
States he has clients looking for an Ads guy. So even more potentials I can help!

Funny because last week I was going through a tough mental wall.
This week seems to be working out.

Goes to show that if you tough through the obstacles, you might come to a reward afterwards.

Last edited:

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Mini update:

1. UpWork client got back to me with the final details. The $40/hr contract has officially started for LinkedIn lead generation. I can tell they were a little hesitant due to not having any other past experience/work on my UpWork profile. So I reassured him and let him know that I will do an hour's worth of work pro-bono (he offered to pay but I plan on forming a long-term relationship) and if he likes the result, we can continue working together. He loved it! I'm sure that was integral in getting him to truly understand I'm here to help and not just for a quick paycheck.

2. Had another call today with the owner/leader of a HUGE FB group for business owners in my city. He does Facebook Ads. Something I'm not good at. We both chatted and figured, why don't we white-label each other's services. Hearing those words really made my day. I feel like progress is finally being made and things are clicking in my head why. (I'll make a separate post when I get the chance, with everything I've gone through mentally to get to this point.)

My next step is to perform this one job REALLY well. Like absolutely kill it. I would love to get in a conversation with the guy casually after I've done good work, to maybe identify some pain points his business has (outside my lead generation)

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Today was the first day I tried LinkedIn lead generation for that UpWork contract I landed. It was my first time performing this kind of work. It did take me 30 minutes longer than I hoped, but after I got the system down the rest of the work went by quickly.

Was nervous when sending the first batch. I got the response I was hoping for and the client was extremely pleased about my work. This solidifies the contract. I officially have a 2-hour daily contract not related to my part-time retail job that pays just as much. I am happy that my progress continues to move forward.

Also, I taught a few members in a Facebook business community I am apart of, how to set up their Google Ads campaign. It was sloppy. I'm no teacher. But moving outside my own ego, they said they really enjoyed the class and found great value! Even suggested I do my own course. Haha. Maybe one day. Gives me a good feeling. I realize if I am going to teach any more of these free little classes, I should definitely create an agenda.

Since I finished my main tasks of the day early (Thanks to The Miracle Morning!) I spent some time applying for more contracts on UpWork. But then I decided to try something a little different. So I went through UpWork to find lead generation jobs that employers posted. I took down the niche. Niched down even more. Created a landing page. Set up a campaign to target the landing page. Hopefully, I plan to get leads I can sell to some of the sales professionals I connected with earlier on LinkedIn.

I'm kind of digging this multi-path, singular destination road I am embarking on. Using all my income driving channels to help further each other.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
A lot has happened in the last month and a half. I went in a completely different direction than expected. Not planned either.

First: I quit my job. No more part-time retail job. It was costing me more to be there. The opportunity cost was affecting my potential earnings. Second: I ended up transitioning to copywriting. Not by choice either. The market I was dealing with preferred to manage their own ads but needed an ad writer. Luckily, I have experience writing copy for ads, social media posts, and website copy.

I was definitely rusty. Like 100-year-old metal drifting in the ocean kind of rusty. But I jumped on UpWork and got to work. Wrote a bunch of proposals. Many of them denied. A few of them landed further contact aka interviews. It felt great! And the clients I worked with were very pleased with the work and results! I had one focus: Completing the contracts with 200% of my effort! I read. I practiced. I asked for feedback. I asked for help. I let go of my ego. I became a sponge. All this led to, what I'd consider, awesome execution.

I would not have reached this far in my journey without the help of @Fox and his course, which allowed me to connect with a like-minded accountability group. @Andy Black and his amazing advice and Google Ads Bootcamp (which I plan to re-enroll once I get a steadier stream of clients). @Lex DeVille and his Udemy Advanced Proposals for Upwork course *I HIGHLY recommend any UpWork freelancer to take this course*, and @Black_Dragon43 for his insightful posts, recommendations(indirect), and threads which opened my mind even more.

Total earnings: $1,115 First Year Earnings Goal: 50,000 (Double what I made in retail ever)

PS: I've worked with some VERY interesting clients lately. Contracts that I wouldn't consider ideal. But necessary. I can't reach the bigger projects, without proving myself through smaller jobs. Providing extreme value. #1 Lesson I've Learned. It's about how MUCH value I can give for the price of the job. NOT how cheap I can be.

My advice when starting off: DO THE WORK! Don't worry about which clients will pay the most. Which will give you the most $ per hour. Prove yourself. Do the crap jobs. Do the jobs that no one else wants. EXCEED at it. Build your portfolio. Establish credibility. And then the bigger projects will come!

Also shoutout to @GuitarManDan for always helping a brother out when needed!

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
A lot has happened in the last month and a half. I went in a completely different direction than expected. Not planned either.

First: I quit my job. No more part-time retail job. It was costing me more to be there. The opportunity cost was affecting my potential earnings. Second: I ended up transitioning to copywriting. Not by choice either. The market I was dealing with preferred to manage their own ads but needed an ad writer. Luckily, I have experience writing copy for ads, social media posts, and website copy.

I was definitely rusty. Like 100-year-old metal drifting in the ocean kind of rusty. But I jumped on UpWork and got to work. Wrote a bunch of proposals. Many of them denied. A few of them landed further contact aka interviews. It felt great! And the clients I worked with were very pleased with the work and results! I had one focus: Completing the contracts with 200% of my effort! I read. I practiced. I asked for feedback. I asked for help. I let go of my ego. I became a sponge. All this led to, what I'd consider, awesome execution.

I would not have reached this far in my journey without the help of @Fox and his course, which allowed me to connect with a like-minded accountability group. @Andy Black and his amazing advice and Google Ads Bootcamp (which I plan to re-enroll once I get a steadier stream of clients). @Lex DeVille and his Udemy Advanced Proposals for Upwork course *I HIGHLY recommend any UpWork freelancer to take this course*, and @Black_Dragon43 for his insightful posts, recommendations(indirect), and threads which opened my mind even more.

Total earnings: $1,115 First Year Earnings Goal: 50,000 (Double what I made in retail ever)

PS: I've worked with some VERY interesting clients lately. Contracts that I wouldn't consider ideal. But necessary. I can't reach the bigger projects, without proving myself through smaller jobs. Providing extreme value. #1 Lesson I've Learned. It's about how MUCH value I can give for the price of the job. NOT how cheap I can be.

My advice when starting off: DO THE WORK! Don't worry about which clients will pay the most. Which will give you the most $ per hour. Prove yourself. Do the crap jobs. Do the jobs that no one else wants. EXCEED at it. Build your portfolio. Establish credibility. And then the bigger projects will come!

Ha this is great and it is cool how you used the different approaches of a few people on here to make it all work.

Wish you all the best with this and happy to have helped in some part - nice work!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016

Well done, had a very similar experience just recently! Almost the exact same earnings in my first month as well.

I was busting my a$$ cold calling prospects for web design, breaking fingers writing over 2000 cold emails offering better converting Facebook ads, and all of a sudden I was a copywriter. Just like you, someone in my network did not need my other services but asked for some copy work and ended up praising it.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Well done, had a very similar experience just recently! Almost the exact same earnings in my first month as well.

I was busting my a$$ cold calling prospects for web design, breaking fingers writing over 2000 cold emails offering better converting Facebook ads, and all of a sudden I was a copywriter. Just like you, someone in my network did not need my other services but asked for some copy work and ended up praising it.

It’s funny how that works right? I can say that some of my friends think I hop around too much, but that isn’t it. And I think you understand. Sometimes where you plan to go isn’t always where you land.

This is also why I take nearly every copywriting job presented. Not because I want the pay out. But because if I want to survive, I need to provide FOR the market. Not TO the market. Hope that makes sense.

So to anyone reading/following - this is my main takeaway over the last few months. Be like water. Flow with the market. Eventually you’ll reach an ocean of opportunity.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It’s funny how that works right? I can say that some of my friends think I hop around too much, but that isn’t it. And I think you understand. Sometimes where you plan to go isn’t always where you land.

This is also why I take nearly every copywriting job presented. Not because I want the pay out. But because if I want to survive, I need to provide FOR the market. Not TO the market. Hope that makes sense.

So to anyone reading/following - this is my main takeaway over the last few months. Be like water. Flow with the market. Eventually you’ll reach an ocean of opportunity.
To start we say Yes to everything.

To scale we say No to everything.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I think that to start we say Yes to everything. To scale we say No to everything.

No to most things. If we said "no" to everything, then we wouldn't get anything, lol.

I took the first paying gig I could get ahold of, then once I had enough to eat and pay the bills, I really started focusing on profiling my clients.

@Capitalist_Cat If I were you I'd make sure I leveraged my past work to find bigger and better clients in the present. Also, if my rate per hour was $25 for my latest gig, I won't settle for anything less than $30 for my next one, and so on.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
No to most things. If we said "no" to everything, then we wouldn't get anything, lol.

I took the first paying gig I could get ahold of, then once I had enough to eat and pay the bills, I really started focusing on profiling my clients.

@Capitalist_Cat If I were you I'd make sure I leveraged my past work to find bigger and better clients in the present. Also, if my rate per hour was $25 for my latest gig, I won't settle for anything less than $30 for my next one, and so on.
Sage advice!

Yes!
My plan: as my portfolio grows more, so will my rates and the quality of jobs I apply to. Eventually I’ll move away from the platform entirely. And use the skills I learned in web design, Ads, and seo to create inbound lead generation systems.

BlackSuperman

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
1 Week Update!

This week's execution undoubtedly paid off. I’m seeing that good ole' TMF /Unscripted positive feedback loop.

Events
:
1. I secured a great long-term Upwork project. I'll be working with a PPC agency writing ad copy for their clients. They asked me to devote 10-15 hours a week (depending on client needs) at double my day job's pay rate. This feels huge. Not only can I pay my rent + bills in half the time I would have working at my day job, but this provides me the time needed to find problems I can solve. (For a future CENT based Fastlane business, or at least a step closer to that goal).

2. Finished 1/2 of the needed headlines for another client of mine. Looks as if she digs the work. Waiting for the go-ahead to move forward before I craft the other half.

3. After receiving my 2nd review on Upwork, I've been getting about an invitation a day to other projects. This is great! Now I can slow my roll, provide outstanding copy, and understand that once I’m ready to take on more contracts, they will be there.

Process:
All of this did not happen because of luck. Here are actions I took to reach my current level of success. Some elements may be directly relevant while others are more for personal growth, which I believe helped me reach the mindset needed for continuous execution.
1. I used my Trello 300% more than before. I track everything. Applying a combination of the famous GSD (Get Shit Done system) in combination with @MJ DeMarco's Daily Planner for INSIDERS. This helped me stay on task, prioritize the right actions, remove my biggest negative habits, and create a process through positive daily habits.

2. I set weekly, monthly, and yearly goals. All of my daily actions relate to my weekly goal. My weekly goal relate to my monthly goal. And my monthly goal to my yearly goal. Just like the Trello system, this helps me stay focused, driven, and always executing effectively.

3. After finishing my last contract last week, I told my roommate to hold me accountable. I told him my primary goal is to apply for 4-5 relevant Upwork contracts. Every time I apply to one, I have to tell him. My accountability group on Discord also holds me accountable. I’d say accountability is one of the two biggest factors that new business owners/entrepreneurs/freelancers should use to reach their hand into the waters of success. The second is one I think we all can agree with. Surround yourself with like-minded, wait, scratch that, peers who you look up to. These two elements alone I would be what elevated my freelancing "career" to the next level.

Also…
Take a break!
Take a day for yourself!

If you work yourself to the bone, you will burn out quick. I've seen too often. That and not taking enough action are the major killers of those taking their first steps leaving the Sidewalk/Slowlane.

But.

Don't just waste your day off. Don't just play games all day. Jack off when you're bored. Read comics. Smoke weed until you pass out. Get drunk off your a$$. Seriously!

Make your day productive. Read. Learn. Socialize. Experience the world. I promise if you make your days off productive, you'll feel completely rejuvenated and passionately driven to act.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats my friend, the first steps always the most exciting!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.